PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to pay too much for airfare?

MirandaC
11-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Okay guys! I need your opinions! I haven't flown since 2006, I know that there are all sorts of new rules, fees, and so on. I have found 3 round trip tickets for June 18-June 25, 2009, for $1200 thru continental. Back in 2006 I paid roughly $1900, closer to $2000.

Should I get these tickets? :confused: Do you all think I can do better? I was going to try SW, but they haven't even come out with prices for June and I don't want to miss out on these prices. I have gone thru several of the different discount travel sites and all seem to be the same amount, give or take a few dollars.

Let me know!! thanks

KylesMom
11-13-2008, 12:52 PM
That's not bad. Not good, either, but not bad based on the recent ticket prices to Orlando. On the news the other morning, they were announcing that even though fuel prices have dropped substantially, carriers were expected to keep their fares high.

Typically we book our airfare six months out. Two years ago we paid $900 for three round trip American Airline tix from ORD to MCO, and last year we paid $837 for three round trip United Tix. This was before all of the baggage fees were enacted - and being booked no less than 6 months out.

I've been diligently looking, and the cheapest I can find for 6/13-6/27 out of Chicago non-stop is $1,257 via American. United is ridiculous at over $1,500 for three round trip tickets from Ohare - and while I wouldn't mind waiting to see what SouthWest is going to do, they aren't part of the Airline Hotel Check-In program (and DH doesn't like the idea of unassigned seats).

I am seriously considering booking these tix because historically after the 6-month mark these tickets always go up. I've been charting it for a few years now, and even though your flight times can change, at least they're cheaper.

Let me ask you this - when you did your Disney budget, where did the cost of tickets land versus what you're finding now?

MirandaC
11-13-2008, 01:03 PM
well, we have always paid around $2000, so this seems like a great deal! my DH feels the same way about SW and the lack of assigned seating. i would just hate to know that tomorrow prices drop and i could have saved $400 dollars! but i guess it is always a gamble.

the great thing is, WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!! :cloud9:

so, i guess i should get these tickets, i am such a libra, i have to way every option a million times and always go back to my inital decision! :blush:

henry.james.s
11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I know most here are flying with their families and maybe can't be flexable with dates but I get low fare alerts from Traveolcity all the time for around $200/seat.
Being a single traveler I know it's easier for me but I got my roundtrip on Airtran nonstop for $205.

Pirate Granny
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I've been using Air Tran quite a bit lately...one thing to consider...we booked tickets on NW...then DD needed to change her reservation and although we had to pay the $75 change fee...the fare had actually gone down $60 so it was only a $15 charge...I will remember this when booking my tickets...in case of a huge price swing.

You really have to take into account the baggage fees...on NW if we take my DH golf clubs it's going to cost us $100 round trip ($50 each for the second piece of luggage)...this will make SW look attractive with ZERO charges for any luggage.

:pirate:

mouseketeer mom
11-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I would get them. It's been my personal experience that rates get higher as the dates get closer. And we always use Continental.

MirandaC
11-13-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the input! i think i will buy them, just for peace of mind! then i can start worrying about where to dine, hee hee!!:mickey:

i can't wait!!!!:yay:

BigRedDad
11-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Where are you flying from? $400 per ticket is very high if you ask me. I know when I first booked with SW, the flights were $325 each. I am flying out next week and the cost had gone down to $192 each. Oil prices are much lower, so those $100 surcharges are going.

If it were me, I would wait. Since no one else is taking reservations in June, Continental has no incentive to lower the fares further. Wait for SW. I think the worst you will pay is $400 RT. If you purchase Continental, you are going to be screwed with the tickets and nothing you an really do. My office mate has been trying to get rid of $400 in Continental credit, but the transfer fees will reduce the available amount to $250 and he can't sell them for $175. They expire in a month so he is basically going to eat $400.

Beast_fanatic
11-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Actually, if you're flying out of Corpus Christi, I don't think that fare is too bad.

mudpuppysmom
11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
I think I would wait until some of the other lines open up their schedule, then see who has the best fare.

We're going in December and this is the most I have paid in years!! Our RT is costing 169 and that is really high for me!! Two years ago I paid 180 for BOTH DS and I to fly ROUNDTRIP from PIT to MCO. I know it was two years ago though. I would say that 400 is high, but then again, prices are all out of whack right now.

MirandaC
11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
well, it is actually 370 round trip ($185 each way) per ticket, not including tax ($409 w/ tax). corpus christi has a small international airport, we do not fly direct. i have to stop in either houston (continental) or dallas (american) to get to orlando.

so now what do you guys think? :confused:

MirandaC
11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
oh, and right now american, continental & delta have prices. continental is cheaper by just a few dollars. so a few airlines are offering flights right now, just not southwest. corpus doesn't have very many options to fly with.

justice11
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
WOW that seemas like a lot of money, i try to figure the highest at 250 each. we go in may and i am waiting till they come out with a deal. plus don't you have to pay for your luggage?

TiggeRia
11-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Wow-that seems like a lot of money to me. I fly in and out of Newark or Philly and The most I have paid for a single round trip ticket to MCO is $220 (in the past year). That was for JetBlue, I think. I just bought tickets for April and paid $170 (taxes included) r/t per person out of Philly. Then again, maybe airfare is just more expensive out of Texas? :confused:

mrmcgiv
11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
WOW! That seems really high to me too, but I am mot familiar with airfare out of Tx. We flew last year (may 2007) and for four of us it was about $600. This Dec I am doing even better and for four of us it is just under $500 round trip non stop on Airtran. In 07 we flew SW. Thsi time I used the special discount codes that airtran sends out, the sent one for mother's day and I signed up for Net Escapes on 8 different emails and got 8 codes and booked 8 tix seperately. It took about 40 mins extra but save us $200!

I personally would wait, also could you drive to a nearby airport and fly from there to save some $ if air is so high from CC? That seems sooooooooo high!

Sign up for Air Tran NetEscapes to get email sfor specials and SW Ding fares ..you will get an Icon on you bottom toolbar and check daily for specials. am sure other carriers have such sign-ups too!

BigRedDad
11-14-2008, 04:41 AM
You do realize that American, Delta, and Continental are some of the most expensive airlines in the business?

It's your money and none of us can tell you how to use it. I can only say that if it was my money, I would be willing to wager a slightly higher cost on SW than spend the over inflated price on one of the other airlines. I would be willing to bet that SW will be at least $100 cheaper per ticket RT when they are released and as it gets closer to your travel time. This is not an option if you go with one of the BIG airlines.

illini
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, that sounds like it's pretty good out of Corpus. It regularly runs $300+ out of San Antonio--often $350, though you can sometimes snag good deals on Southwest from here. It only makes sense that Corpus is even higher and in that light makes it seen like a decent deal.
I guess worst case if it goes up even more, you could drive up here to SA and fly from here. Bit of a hassle, but at least it's an easy drive. And if the airfares go to $2K, it would be *well* worth it.

MirandaC
11-14-2008, 10:59 AM
well guys, i booked our flight. i found a cheaper flight from san antonio, but decided that a two hour drive to san antonio w/ parking, gas and our time and two hours drive back w/ gas after an exhausting 8 day trip at midnight was just not worth the couple of hundred dollar savings!

so, most importantly, trip is booked w/ DDP, airfare booked w/ ME, WE ARE GOING TO THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!!! YIPPEE!! WHOO HOO!! :party:
I'll see you guys in the dining section!:thumbsup:

Nurse Kim
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow that does sound high! We used Expedia to find our tickets but we are booking each way separate. We have found Delta to be cheapest at $87 each way pp. We have kept an eye on fares for a couple months now and these have stayed the same with Expedia so we are planning to book them in Decemeber. That makes our 5 RT $870 and we know we can't beat that. This past March we flew Delta and booked through priceline and again we paid less than $1000 for our tickets. If we had to pay too much my DH would insist on driving.