PDA

View Full Version : Video Cameras on Rides/Shows

Verolovesdisney
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm looking to get a good video camera and getting everything on film for our upcoming trip. I think you can't film most of the shows, correct? And what's the video camera policy for the rides?

SBETigg
11-13-2008, 12:04 PM
For consideration of your fellow travelers, and according to the rules, don't use lighting or the video screen viewer when you tape.

Zawadi
11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
You'll find a previous discussion regarding the use of video cameras on a previous thread

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=144376.

You are permitted to record anything unless there is a specific announcement to the contary.

However, please be considerate to other guests/performers and minimise or even better avoid flash and/or external video lighting.

lightyearfan
11-13-2008, 04:43 PM
well maybe i take this post a little to the heart because i do try and tape as much as possible , and i do follow all of the rules as far as taping is concerned, i like to capture my vacation, not only as a keep sake, but as a retrospective of my trips, to sit back with my family and to pull out a set of tapes from let's say 95 is very precious to me , to see how young my daughter was and how different WDW was then to now.
as far as being considerate with the LCD screen, i'm sorry but there are allot of other in-considerate things that people do that me and dw just shake our heads too, here are a few examples:
1. smelling
2. using cell phones to the point where people are texting as they are walking and bumping in to people and using the phones during a show
3. taking flash photography when they are told constantly not too.
4. trying to take over your spot as you are waiting for a parade to start, and not even being frank about it, they just squeeze in and couldn't care less.

sorry to be ranting but me and dw have been going to the world for quite sometime now, and we try to be as considerate to the other guests that are around us i will even stand in the back of whatever show that i am taping as to not annoy anybody. i also know that i am going to get allot of flack for this post but hey this is (IMHO). last but not least i have never heard a cm say don't use the LCD screen, and if they did i wouldn't use it.

Victor

pink
11-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't advertise the fact that you're going to videotape the ride or show before you do it but be discret and make sure there is no bright light or flash being used to distract the other people enjoying the show or attraction.

:mickey:

kemps@wdw
11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I have numerous videos of attractions. I, too, like to look back on older film when our DD was younger. I go out of my way not to be obtrusive or uncourteous when I video, and have not had any complaints to date. I agree that there are alot of things WAY more out of line than my mostly unnoticed filming. :twocents: I used to vidoe on tape, but have since upgraded to a mini-dvd camcorder that also does still photos. So now I only carry 1 camera w/me for both. The pics are great and I can simply put the disc in my dvd player and watch my vaca! LOVE IT!

SBETigg
11-14-2008, 11:38 AM
There's not much worse than sitting behind someone using their LCD screen. It ruins the whole ride for people behind you. If you've taken pains to be discreet and be seated in the last seat possible, then good for you-- but there's still a boat or car behind you on many rides who are affected by it. If not, go for it. Excellent for you.

I've heard CMs specifically say that LCD screen taping is not allowed along with flash photography. It really is offensive to others near you to have their ride experience diminished by your screen constantly drawing the eye.

Imagineer1981
11-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Pls be curtious, it could be someones first ride, why ruin it for them

Goes4FastPass
11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, there have been previous threads about this.

Courteous video tapers are swell... and the exception.

What still aggravates me and happens all too often is we arrive at a parade route early, stake out a good place then just before the parade passes, here comes the guy who has to document every minute of his vacation and because he's got a camera he thinks he can go stand in the street and when a CM urges him back to curb he backs into me or one of my kids. Now he's in the front but oblivious to everyone or everything else. He's making Gone with the Wind.

mermaidmarian
11-14-2008, 03:49 PM
There's not much worse than sitting behind someone using their LCD screen. It ruins the whole ride for people behind you. If you've taken pains to be discreet and be seated in the last seat possible, then good for you-- but there's still a boat or car behind you on many rides who are affected by it. If not, go for it. Excellent for you.

I've heard CMs specifically say that LCD screen taping is not allowed along with flash photography. It really is offensive to others near you to have their ride experience diminished by your screen constantly drawing the eye.

I couldn't agree more. The first time we road POTC after its refurb we were seated at the rear of the boat and there were 4 videographers without their flashes on but with their LCD screens open and transmitting in front of us. Talk about a buzz kill.

Go ahead and tape to bring your memories of WDW home with you. But please make sure that when you are making memories, you are not wreaking someone else's "in the moment" enjoyment. Close your LCD.

lightyearfan
11-14-2008, 05:01 PM

:mickey::blush:;) man oh man if this is what bothers you i would really hate to do something that might really really bother you :mad:

when me and dw are in the happiest place on earth nothing else matters.

Victor

lightyearfan
11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Go ahead and tape to bring your memories of WDW home with you. But please make sure that when you are making memories, you are not wreaking someone else's "in the moment" enjoyment. Close your LCD.

note to self "i'll try to remember that on our upcoming trip"

Victor

SBETigg
11-14-2008, 07:29 PM
:mickey::blush:;) man oh man if this is what bothers you i would really hate to do something that might really really bother you :mad:

when me and dw are in the happiest place on earth nothing else matters.

Victor

You said things bothered you, too, Victor. And considering you had to point them out, it looks as if a) they do matter to you and b) you might know you're being rude but want to justify it by saying other people do things you find worse. We all have our annoyances. Being behind someone taping with an LCD screen just happens to be mine. But I'm tolerant and shrug it off as the user being ignorant and not knowing better. Although, ask a CM, it is actually something they ask you not to do on dark rides, for reasons I've stated (compromising the ride experience of other guests). Will they ask you to stop? Probably not, because CMs are trained to be tolerant, too. Does it make it any more right or less rude? No.

But as you've stated, you always make sure you're in the last seat and not bothering anyone behind you, so no need to be defensive. You're obviously one of the good guys. If only everyone who tapes would be so considerate.

lightyearfan
11-14-2008, 09:04 PM
But as you've stated, you always make sure you're in the last seat and not bothering anyone behind you, so no need to be defensive. You're obviously one of the good guys. If only everyone who tapes would be so considerate.

i guess everyone has their own views and just so you know i don't tape on dark rides, because in the first place it doesn't come out well and i don't want to ruin anyone else's moment , i do tape pretty much all the parades and shows like Fantasmic, Beauty+Beast, and i make sure that i am in the back as not to annoy anyone , sorry if i may have been a little defensive:mickey:

Victor

SBETigg
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
i guess everyone has their own views and just so you know i don't tape on dark rides, because in the first place it doesn't come out well and i don't want to ruin anyone else's moment , i do tape pretty much all the parades and shows like Fantasmic, Beauty+Beast, and i make sure that i am in the back as not to annoy anyone , sorry if i may have been a little defensive:mickey:

Victor

Your footage is obviously important to you. I completely understand. I usually only bring my digital camera and don't photograph on rides, but I bet you have some incredible scenes. I wish I'd had a camera on our last Kilimanjaro Safari. Happy filming! :cool: