PDA

View Full Version : Tips to keep kids happy in long lines??

Tinkerbell2BE
11-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello everyone. I am starting to think about what to pack in my 7 year olds backpack that she will be taking to the parks. Does anyone have anything special that they recommend packing that helps pass the time in the long lines?? She will have her Nintendo DS, but even that gets tiresome after a while. All suggestions welcomed!!

blueyedprincess
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Maybe some of those small activity pads with dot-to-dots and picture finds in them.

My DF and I are going to take the cards from our Disney trivia games.

honeebee86
11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I would suggest bringing some game books (kids crossword puzzles and things like that) Also, consider purchasing the Hidden Mickey book. You could turn it into a fun family game to see who can find the hidden Mickey first!:mickey:

AuntDJ
11-12-2008, 06:00 PM
all of these are good sugestions, but I wanted to mention that make sure whatever you do, pack lightly....it will get heavy and you will probably end up with it!

My kids always just use a fanny pack and I entertain in the line.....

Have fun!
DJ

PrincessASquared
11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
We bring the trivia cards from our Disney "Scene It" game.

g8rgirl29
11-12-2008, 09:12 PM
You can find some trivia question sheets to download and print up at TheMouseForLess. Under downloads, for the kids section. They also have journal pages you can print out. You can modify some of these things to note card size that you could just pull one or two a day and put in the fanny pack. If you have trouble finding the site just pm me and I will send you the link. One thing that I thought might entertain a 7yo would be the friendship bracelets you can make with embroidery thread. You could buy a few Disney inspired colors and she could braid/knot some bracelets while waiting. All you need to bring along is the length of thread in however many colors and some silk/medical tape. I will pm you the sites so you can decide if it is something she would like.

Tinkerbell2BE
11-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas so far! You all are so creative. Things I would have never thought of. I really appreciate it! I love the ideas, and yes they all are light weight! Thanks so much!

Belle619
11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
An oldie, but goodie would be to play the alphabet game using only Disney words (i.e. "we're going on a trip and we're bringing Ariel, we're going on a trip and we're bringing Bambi, etc.") The nice part about this is it doesn't require anything more than your imagination and you can play over and over again while trying not to use the same words.

wifey5794
11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I have to agree with AuntDJ. My DH brings her fanny pack and if it can't fit in there we don't bring it. We seem to pass the time talking, playing alphabet game, telling jokes etc...Because you will end up carrying it :)

bkfree
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
We take only 2 things and these are small and fit nicely in my small messenger bags. One is her mp3 player filled with all sorts of music, Disney and other. And I small 3X5 spiral notebook and pen that she uses as a journal to write about the rides and other things she is has done. Then we play word games, I spy, Alphabet Game and that sort of stuff that requires nothing to play.
We are the minimalists in travelingthe parks and I could not imagine each of my kids carrying a backpack, I don't even carry one.Just a small messenger bag tha carries my camera, wallet and other incidentals.

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Also, consider purchasing the Hidden Mickey book. You could turn it into a fun family game to see who can find the hidden Mickey first!:mickey:

Ditto that! We obsess over Hidden Mickeys. If there are none in the current queue line, we read up on Hidden Mickeys nearby to search for after the ride.

KylesMom
11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Yep, the Hidden Mickey's book is fun for the whole family - not just the kids! And ditto the fact that you'll probably end up carrying it after the first 20 minutes or so . . . ;)

Remember, too, to take advantage of FastPass wherever possible to keep the waiting in line to a minimum!:mickey:

mjaclyn
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I think searching for hidden mickeys is a great idea. You could also get her an inexpensive disposable camera to photograph the hidden mickeys you find. Something that work s well for my DD is snacks. During our last trip to WDW I stocked my bag with princess fruit snacks, trail mix, cereal bars and packages of peanut butter crackers. It worked like a charm!

BigBaloo
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
We also thumb wrestle w/ the kids :thumbsup:

irish1967
11-13-2008, 06:56 PM
We play 20 questions, I Spy and the alphabet game - trying to customize it to the attraction!

We also plan our next step...