PDA

View Full Version : How to AVOID Christmas Parade Taping?

Goes4FastPass
11-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Circumstances more/less within my control place us in
Friday Dec 5 - EPCOT
Saturday Dec 6 - DHS day and MK evening.

I think I've read elsewhere on this board Main Street will be hosed up during the morning on Dec 5 for Christmas Parade taping.

In the past, the parade regularly does cut-a-ways to the other parks and a few resorts. Basically, the TV Christmas Parade is essentially an advertisement for WDW Resort - which is swell with me if I can (1) watch it in the comfort of my home and (2) fast forward over [ugh!] Regis and Kelly.

How much notice of closings/reroutes etc for Christmas Parade taping will resort guests have?

Honestly, I'd hate to get to DHS and find TSM is closed until TBA because Miley is taping a cut-a-way for the Christmas Parade with Mr. Potatohead. "We now go to Disney Hollywood studios where the the Disney Channel's biggest star is chatting with the garden's biggest vegetable...

Strmchsr
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Friday they tape in front of the Castle with all the musical guests. Saturday from early morning until 3-4 pm Main St is tied up with the taping of the parade. This is not a "live" show. This is a TV production for Christmas morning so they aren't doing live cutaways and all that other stuff. The run a float down Main St, rewind, reset, and run it again until they have everything perfect and every angle they want. As for the other spots filmed around the park, I've been there 3 years during parade taping time and never had issues, but you won't have any notification if they are blocking something off to film a scene.

Goes4FastPass
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Chaser.

I had heard trying to watch the parade being taped was a looks-better-on-paper proposition.

I watched a couple of years ago and Regis and Kelly were dreadful. They couldn't see the teleprompter well so Regis was like, "Here come those crazy kids from the uh, musical high school, uh thing. Then the High School Musical kids performed and after the song they they went back to Kelly who was like, "Wow. That was good. Wow. That was like actully good. Actually. Wow.

Strmchsr
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah that sounds about right. :D Good luck in avoiding the insanity!

badkitty
11-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I accidently landed at MK on parade taping day. If you head to the right entrance, the side entrance to backstage is open as a bypass to Tomorrowland. Don't try to go down Main Street. After that, it wasn't bad.

bkfree
11-12-2008, 10:27 PM
We will also be at WDW during that time. Our plan is to hit MK Early on Thursday, Epcot on Friday, AK on Sat then MK late night, and DHS on Sunday. Hopefully we will miss the parade taping mayhem this way.

MPLSguy
11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I have actually found that the best time to go to the MK is during the Sat taping. Everyone wants to get their mug on camera, so that leaves the rest of the park relativly crowd'less and you can hop from one ride to another with little to no wait! :cloud9:

Then after everyone gets tired of the re-takes during the parade over and over again (or they finally get a clue) the mass's finally disperse from Main Street and it's pretty much business as usualy from then on. Try it.... :secret:

HeadFairyInCharge
11-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Hope you are right that most problems will be on Main Street and not throughout the rest of the park. When will they actually let park goers in at regular opening ? I wonder if they will keep that side entrance open for guests to use all day ?

Anyone have experience in or near the Castle on Taping Day ? Should I just not try to get there for our ADR and try to reschedule this ?

This also will change all the normal Days entertainment schedules I assume, No shows or regular parade.:mad: