PDA

View Full Version : The Wave

BugeyedMuggy
11-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Has anyone eaten at The Wave? Any reviews?

SurferStitch
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
DH and I tried it on our trip last month.

I have to say, we were terribly disappointed. The food definitely didn't live up to the wonderful decor as you entered.

The food was very bland, with no seasoning. DH's steak had no flavor. His appetizer was some sort of soup, and it also was bland.

I had the crab cake appetizer, and they definitely tasted like they were made with canned crab meat. They had no lump meat at all (mushy), and were very similar to something you would get in a diner or Perkins kind of place. Even Ruby Tuesday has better crab cakes. To be honest, I can't even remember what fish I had for the main course(think it was grouper), and it was boring.

Everything is organic there, and while I love organic food, I need flavor.

Also, they only offer dry wines, which I don't like, so I had a mixed drink. DH had beer.

So, 2 drinks, 1 appetizer, 1 soup and 2 entrees plus tip cost us around $120 (with our 20% DDE discount), and we left hungry and disappointed.

We were chatting with Robert, our concierge at the Flo that night. He asked where we had dinner, and we mentioned The Wave. He asked how we liked it, and we told him we didn't, but it was our first time, so lesson learned - we won't go back. No big deal to us. He asked if we put it on our room charge, which we did. A couple minutes later, he told us that The Wave was only a memory....he had comped that charge for us!!! So, no harm, no foul.

I would highly recommend somewhere else....like Narcoossee's!!!!! :cloud9:

LandFan
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I totally agree with surfer stitch. We ate there at the end of July. Same results. I was totally underwhelmed.

I thought the decor in the dining room was lacking too. The tunnel entrance and bar were neat but once you got into the dining room it was just a big expanse of bland.

I will say I did love the way they do the deserts. A couple of those were really good!

BugeyedMuggy
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info. You may have saved me a disappointing experience. I'll choose a different place. thanks again.

prttynpnk
11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
My husband and I ate there in September and had just the opposite experience- we loved it and would definitley go again.
I can't think of any part that I didn't enjoy. :mickey:

harlowandthemermaid
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I've been curious about this too! I eat organic food, no preservatives etc while at home so this is right up my alley. I like my food a little on the bland side so I think this will be just right for me. We are definitely planning to try it out in december.

pox24
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
We ate there last month. My wife and I were disappointed. She never leaves a lot left on her plate, this time she did. Her pork tenderloin tasted funny. Thats all I can say. My beef tenderloin was ok but very small. What got me was the Celery Mash. Mashed chunky potatoes with celery. I tasted them all night. The crab cake was good however. We won't go back.

lockedoutlogic
11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm a big fan of disney food in all forms.....well....except the turkey leg:ack:

but i have to agree.....we ate there in october and thought that.....while not bad quality.....

the menu was poorly designed, the portions were smaller on par compared to other locations, and the whole restaurant felt "lost"

they just don't seem to know what they're doing.....weird interior space....disjointed menu that had no real 'type' of food to it. It isn't what i would call American....certainly not Californian, not Continental, not quite Southwestern, not seafoood.....i just don't know

It was very disappointing....as once the DVC rush begins....i think that the contemporary is going to be underequipped in the food category....

On the bright sid....Yak and Yeti....which i had no expectation of ......was excellent to our party of six.....

it was predominantly chinese.....but pretty good chinese at that...

dolphinmickey9170
11-12-2008, 07:51 PM
We, with Capt Jessica Sparrow, ate at the Wave in May this year. I must tell you we were less than impressed. The service was horrible, the food so-so, and I will not give it another try. The noise level was terrible. They put 4 adults and a toddler at a table that would have seated 8 and we were so spread out we couldn't hold a conversation without someone yelling across the table. The food was very blah, no flavor, no taste. I went for the comfort food of chicken pie, it was cold and rainy, so I thought this would be a great way to warm up. The basil crust on top was very bland, the meat and veggies in the middle had no taste. The rest of them had the beef. I can't speak for Jessica, but my family thought ugh! The desserts, well, there were three pieces you received, one looked like and smelled like rotten milk. Too strange for us.:(

CaptainJessicaSparrow....tell us your thoughts.

mouseketeer mom
11-13-2008, 08:47 AM
We ate here in August. This is the very first time we had a Disney dining experience where we said WE WON'T GO BACK! Service was awful, it took hours, and the food was just weird and unpleasant. Nothing about us is picky. We were so excited to try this place and we will not go back.

Lynn J Mc
11-13-2008, 08:59 AM
September must have been a good month because we ate there in Sep. and had a good experience except for the service which was kind of slow. My niece had the spaghetti (7 year old) she liked it. The rest of us had the filet and all liked it. The desserts were great. My biggest complaint with Disney food is cold bread!! And that continues here. I don't know why it is so hard to install a bread warmer at all the restaurants. (Sorry I got sidetracked) We will definitely go back.

huzzah4
11-13-2008, 10:03 AM
I have to go against the general consensus here. Perhaps September was just a good month, but when my wife and I were there, it was one of the most fabulous meals we experienced. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was magical, and the service was impeccable. I agree that it does not seem to fit into any of the standard restaurant types, but that is an attraction in my book, not a detraction.

I ordered the lamb and scallop lettuce wraps for an appetizer. Both the lamb and scallops were cooked to just the right degree of doneness (a difficult feat in the same dish, lamb needs to cook slowly, and scallops are done if you blink your eyes twice in a row). The lettuce was fresh and crisp, and while lending its own flavor to the dish, did not overpower it in any way. They were a little messy, but that just makes it more fun. For my entree, I had the tenderloin, and it was cooked perfectly. The meat was tender, juicy, and seasoned to perfection. The cabernet sauce that topped the tenderloin was sweet and rich, the perfect accompaniment to the earthy tones of the steak. The fingerling potatoes that were served with it were sweet and cooked to perfection, just a slight snap of the skin as you bit into them and wonderfully tender and light on the inside, surprisingly unstarchy for a potato. Finally the local greens that came with it completed the meal wonderfully. They were light, springy, and very fresh, I could swear they were picked from the Land only that morning. For dessert, I had the coconut panna cotta, the cheesecake with raspberry coulis, and the chocolate mousse with salted caramel sauce; all of which were absolutely incredible. Had I not been so full from my just eaten meal, I would have begged for more of each, as it was, they were the perfect size to finish a fabulous dining experience. I absolutely could not have asked for a better meal.

All that having been said, I believe that I ordered poorly. My wife won the ordering for this meal. She started with the mixed green salad, which I have to admit I was a little skeptical of to start out with (spaghetti squash on a salad did not sound that good to me), but it was incredible. The flavors and textures of the greens melded phenomenally with the vinaigrette and the squash, I was most pleasantly surprised. As a main course, she ordered the sustainable catch of the day, in this case, Alaskan Black Cod. What can I say, this was quite likely the best single piece of fish that I have ever eaten (don't tell her I said this, but I think it was even better than when I cook). It was light, flaky, and so tender that it literally fell apart in our mouths. The portion was huge (big enough, in fact, that she was unable to finish it; I assisted her unashamedly). The corn and edamame stew upon which the fish was served was hearty and flavorful, with just enough toothiness to complement the tenderness of the fish. I honestly do not know what could have been done to make her entree any better, it was absolutely incredible, it has been 2 months and I am still raving about it. I do not recall exactly which offerings she chose for dessert, because, in all honesty, I was so completely sated at this point that I don't recall exactly how we made it back to our resort, but I know that she did enjoy it as thoroughly as I did mine.

This had to be one of the absolute best meals we have experienced at WDW, and I will unreservedly, unashamedly, and unabashedly recommend it to anyone. We have already made an ADR here for our next trip, and will probably include it on each subsequent trip as well.

SurferStitch
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I have to agree with a couple people above about the poor decor once inside the dining area. Kind of boring, and too cafeteria-like. Despite the place being pretty empty, we got stuck at a table right at the kitchen door, kind of floating out in the middle of nowhere, in the very corner of two busy "freeways". We had servers zooming by us the entire time.

It wasn't busy at all when we were there. They only had the place filled to about 25-30% capacity, and service was still very slow. Our server seemed VERY unsure of himself, and terribly lacked confidence.

I just couldn't believe how bland and UN-seasoned our food was. Maybe they ran out of seasoning in October......

Hull-onian
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm a big fan of disney food in all forms.....well....except the turkey leg:ack:

I agree about the turkey leg. Tastes like ham. Not a nice New England typed turkey.
Anyways, my niece and nephew just got back, and loved the WAVE. Almost all there meals were excellent. However, on our trip we are going to Chef Mickeys, can't go wrong there.:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I've never been to the Wave - at least not yet...

Oh man, this is one of the best quotes I've ever seen on Intercot!!! Well said!!! :thumbsup:

AHOTE
11-14-2008, 01:00 AM
I have to agree with "Huzzah4" on this. We ate there Monday night and our meal and service was excellent. We had the beef tenderlion, the pork tenderloin, Alaskan char and lamb & scallops. Since you can't eat decor it doesn't bother me that the decor is understated. All I want is a clean comfortable place with good food and that we got at the Wave. Even though the place was full at the 5pm seating it was quiet enough that we could have a conversation without hollering across the table. We will eat there again.

iheartdisney
11-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Where is "The Wave" located?

prttynpnk
11-28-2008, 06:28 AM
It's in the Comtemporary resort.

Granny Jill A
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
It's in the Comtemporary resort.

I just checked to see exactly where the Wave was located, and I couldn't find any reference to it. The Concourse Steakhouse was still on the webpage. Did the Wave replace the Concourse?
Thanks!

Found it. It's on the 1st floor of the hotel. Without the great view of the old location, though. (sigh).