PDA

View Full Version : Promos not for AP/DVC?

WDWfeelslikehome
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a question, and I'm wondering if anyone here has also run into the same issue. I have 2009 vacations booked already with my points, and I am an AP. SHould I get 3 nights of "free stay" with no points deducted for my vacations, and still get the $200-$500 DIsney Dollar Gift card being offered in the new promo? Or am I penalized for being a DVC'er and AP, so I get nothing out of it. I know I get to be in WDW and wouldn't trade that away, but if someone calls and books today and gets lots of perks, why as Disney's covetted DVC and AP'ers could we be left out on any deal?:envy:

Ian
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Because your last statement is inaccurate ... Disney does not "covet" AP holders and DVC members. They covet the inital sale of DVC, but once you've bought in that's where they stop caring. They've gotten their money ... that's all they need. If you bail out and resell your membership, what do they care? A body is a body.

And they hate AP holders, because the revenue they generate is so much lower than those who buy hoppers.

They know we're coming ... the deals are to lure new business. As Ted Knight said in Caddyshack ... "We'll get nothing and like it!"

thumperbug
11-12-2008, 11:59 AM
These promos are definitely geared towards folks who are not already "hooked".

I don't feel like I am missing out as a DVC member. I feel that I have definitely gotton my moneys worth (so far) with my membership. I have been able to take 7 trips (6 at WDW) that were at least a week long over a 5 year period and still have 45 years left on my ownership....trip 8 is coming up in Feb 09.

We did hold AP for a year when we knew we would be at the world a lot and it was cost effective. I felt that the AP offers that we got on a consistant basis were great.

One thing about the new promo.....dates are selling out fast...the value resorts will be filled soon and to take advantage you will have to upgrade to moderate or deluxe. At that point you then have to figure if that deal is better or keeping the reservation with your DVC points.

For me...when I saw the offer I saw it as a chance to take an additional trip. But, due to scheduling issues our Feb trip is the only one planned for 2009...so far. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh, Ian.....

we had a nice honeymoon where we agreed on almost everything....

clearly we've landed back at the philly airport:blush:

First...to feelslikehome,

I understand your feeling of being left out by not getting to take advantage of the "bad travel/economy deals"....

but Ian is right.....those 'perks' aren't really meant to go to DVC members

things like 7 for 4s....and the like are meant to lure the casual traveler to WDW for a once a year or once every several year type vacation.

if they don't get those perks....they don't buy.

DVC members have already bought......they're coming.....they're using.....that's it. It's like a car dealer offering free car washes to a buyer of a 2004 Toyota Camry....
the money has already been spent...why should they continue to pander to you?

The real 'perk' of DVC....and one that is always in effect....it that you'll be recieving accomodations with escalating rates at a continually decreasing cost....that is the deal.
And you can switch it out and go more local if the economy doesn't allow travel to florida....and you can go to hawaii without paying for a hotel in a few years....and likely other places to follow.

it's still a better deal than one time gimmicks in ****** economic times....

Second, Ian....my man,....

I disagree with your statement that "disney doesn't care" after they get your money...

you couldn't be more wrong. That initial price and maintenance fees don't pay for anything when you're talking about the ridiculous prices Disney pays for any type of construction or improvement....or their huge operating budget....

They won't pander to DVC members...true. And that is something that needs to be looked at. They increasingly actually treat the DVC member 'worse' than one timers. Something is not right there.

but really they covet the money you spend on tickets, food, merchandise, liquor, and recreation much more than they do your 10-15-25 thousands you shelled out one time several years ago.....

that doesn't get them much other than money to finance projects in the short term....

the profit will come from disposable items purchased by the membership for 40+ years to come.....that's where the real money is made...

let's face it: we all end up dropping a couple of grand on tickets, food, moichendise each year....on average....perhaps much more....

that money will dwarf the piddly purchase price and maintenance dues over the long run.....

as far as 'hoppers' generating more cash than AP holders......let's be fair
Sure a 7 day hopper brings in more cash than someone traveling on 3 trips with an annual....

but seriously, how many recurring travelers don't convert quickly to the annual pass?

It doesn't take long to teach that dog this new trick....so an annual passholder is a good deal to disney on the whole....if you're thinking pragmatically.

the only more than once a year travelers that buy magic your way tickets are probably those that show allegiance to archaic travel agencies....and actually think that they save them time and/or money.

WDWfeelslikehome
11-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I know DVC and AP are great deals overall, and that's why I did each of them. Sometimes I just get flustered when I feel that I worked hard to plan things out ahead of time, then these last minute deals appear for the possible non-disney fanatic.:humph: Although in the end these deals may bring people "into the light" as they see the magic of Disney. Sorry if I dropped negative vibes onto anyone's day , relax and enjoy your future visits to the Mouse.
:grouphug:

Ian
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
but really they covet the money you spend on tickets, food, merchandise, liquor, and recreation much more than they do your 10-15-25 thousands you shelled out one time several years ago.....Actually, we're on exactly the same page. You just missed the important qualifier I added at the end of my post ... "A body is a body."

They absolutely care about all that food and merch revenue. Heck, that's one of the reasons they sell DVC in the first place. Accomodations are a very minimal profit generator for them. The real money is in the food and alcohol and souvenirs. So they take a ton of money upfront, essentially discounting future accomodations for a traveler, to ensure they'll keep coming back and spending all that extra money. One thing DVC does not hedge against is inflation on those other areas.

But where your logic (no pun intended) falls short is where you say they covet the money "you" spend ... they couldn't care less if it's you, or Susie Smith, or Joe Schmo. Once they've sold the DVC membership, someone is going to be coming down and spending all that money. The membership can't just evaporate. Even if they treat me like dirt and I decide to sell and never come back again, I'm selling to someone. And that person will just take my place dumping cash on the alter of Disney's balance sheet.

That's all I meant ... the person behind the membership is irrelevant to them. It's the revenue potential they care about and that's faceless.

lockedoutlogic
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Actually, we're on exactly the same page. You just missed the important qualifier I added at the end of my post ... "A body is a body."

They absolutely care about all that food and merch revenue. Heck, that's one of the reasons they sell DVC in the first place. Accomodations are a very minimal profit generator for them. The real money is in the food and alcohol and souvenirs. So they take a ton of money upfront, essentially discounting future accomodations for a traveler, to ensure they'll keep coming back and spending all that extra money. One thing DVC does not hedge against is inflation on those other areas.

But where your logic (no pun intended) falls short is where you say they covet the money "you" spend ... they couldn't care less if it's you, or Susie Smith, or Joe Schmo. Once they've sold the DVC membership, someone is going to be coming down and spending all that money. The membership can't just evaporate. Even if they treat me like dirt and I decide to sell and never come back again, I'm selling to someone. And that person will just take my place dumping cash on the alter of Disney's balance sheet.

That's all I meant ... the person behind the membership is irrelevant to them. It's the revenue potential they care about and that's faceless.

agreed.....

as far as where the revenue is coming from....trust me....I know it all too well (an advanced sign on and some spare time to the Disnery property management system will open some doors)...

hotel room revenue is not much more than the proverbial drop in the bucket.

Disney hotels are ridiculously priced already....but they aren't pocketing much from your room rate....

in fact.....up until the dining plan they weren't even making much off food.....that may have changed with menu mainstreaming and portion reduction....

liquor is an obvious money maker....it always is....especially there (i enjoyed six $6 yuenglings at the gurgling suitcase a month ago.....or i could get 12 for 9 bucks up the street:))

it's the mercandise that is the real killer....

it's made en masse by borderline slave labor in china.....shipped in ridiculously cost effect mass quantities....requires little manpower to manage....and is sold at an incredible markup....

but this is old news....we've been through this before....

i think we're mostly in tune....can't wait for our anniversary trip to Aruba:blush:

DizneyRox
11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
liquor is an obvious money maker....it always is....especially there (i enjoyed six $6 yuenglings at the gurgling suitcase a month ago.....or i could get 12 for 9 bucks up the street:))

it's the mercandise that is the real killer....

it's made en masse by borderline slave labor in china.....shipped in ridiculously cost effect mass quantities....requires little manpower to manage....and is sold at an incredible markup....

Oh they must hate me! The only "drink" I've been known to enjoy is the liter of beer over at the Biergarten. I can't convince everyone else to go there more than once though.

And the merchandise, well there hasn't been much worth buying in going on about 6 years now, so all they get from me are my annual dues, an occasionaly ticket purchase, and when I'm hungry a little something to hold me over.