PDA

View Full Version : E-Machines Computers

thrillme
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
My FIL needs a very "basic" computer and I've been looking around for him. I'm finding that I can't even build them "cheaper" than some pre-builts these days.

I've found several E-Machines that are quite in-expensive. They seem to have all the basics but very limited when it comes to expansion. For HIS purposes (email and maybe a letter or two...absolutely NO GAMES)...they seem perfect. $200-300.

Anybody try these?

I know...some don't have parallel ports (I'll watch for this). For me to build it from "scratch"...I'm estimating at LEAST $350-400 and a lot of time on my part.

VWL Mom
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Both my sons were given E-Machines when they started Middle School. One computer is now six years old and still runs well, the other is two. They basically have Microsoft Office Student Edition on them and some games. Both have printers. DS16 has wireless internet access and no complaints there either.

Not2Loud
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
For his purposes, they should be fine. Also look out at Geeks dot com for good machines. I just bought one for $259 that I am thrilled with.

BigRedDad
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
eMachines are great for what they are: non-expansion systems for email, web browsing, and OpenOffice.

If you are looking for a system that can grow with technology changes, handle the most up-to-date games, need for expansion, no way. they are strictly WYSIWIG: what you see is what you get. You can upgrade or make changes, but then you are taking survivability into your own hands.

It will not be cheap to build the computer yourself unless you are going the Linux route. Windows simply is far too expensive and it is not worth installing Vista on a home-built system. If it is a choice of building yourself or getting a system for basic use, I would go eMachine. Also, look at FatWallet for any good discounts that pop around.

handmaidenofprincesses
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I had an eMachines, which I loved (my brother has it now), but I would recommend a good warranty. Two years, 362 days after I got it, it crashed:badpc:- motherboard, processor, video card, monitor, the whole shabang (is that how you spell "shabang?") Luckily, Best Buy has a 3 year warranty, so I basically got a new computer for free :)

badkitty
11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I haven't had good luck with my eMachine. The tower CD/DVD drive went out rather early in its life and the Geek guy said this has happened often.

DizneyRox
11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
There are many cheapo barebones systems out there. As we get closer to XMas deals will get better and prices will come down.

threeh
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I got an e machine in 2000 and used it until last year. I just do basic computer/surf the net stuff but it was a good computer.

thrillme
11-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm really leaning hard toward the E-Machine for my FIL. He will BARELY use it. He'll grumble about a few emails (probably delete anything that's not business)...and write a few form letters. After his elected position is over...he'll probably pass it on to whomever wants it.

He's just not into computers but...right now he's in a position where there will be some email traffic he'll HAVE to have access too. I'd be happy to get a couple of years out of it. For the price...it just doesn't seem bad.