PDA

View Full Version : Amenities of Animal Kingdom Lodge vs Other Deluxe Accomodations

lockedoutlogic
11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
well....see here's the thing....

people complained about coronado being "too far out" when i worked at caribbean....

the early feedback with AKL held alot of complaints....a big one was "location/convenience"

and since i've trolled around the webboards....probably 3 or 4 years now....i've seen what i can only estimate as 1000+ comments about the animal kingdom resorts being "all the way out there"

it's bull...to be honest.....that area provides just as convenient access to every area except magic kingdom.....which of course provides poor access to downtown and animal kingdom....

but people propogate the myth nonetheless.....

the reality is that animal kingdom still probably holds the least appeal....by some margin....to the majority of guests.....and the hotels get a stigma from it as well.....

the other thing i forgot to mention is that Allstar....as a the most utilized convention location....especially for youth groups....gets the heck beat out of it...

it shows....POP has been spared that by and large.....the failure to finish the second half ensured that the first half would be spared this punishment in the short term....

There is a public sentiment against the aK area hotels.....

coronado is easily better than caribbean....and arguably better than port and dixie.....but the demand is not as high

animal kingdom is easily in the top 3 best deluxes.....but might be the least in demand....

there's something out there...it's a little more than just a feeling:thedolls:

Aggie97
11-10-2008, 10:08 PM
the early feedback with AKL held alot of complaints....a big one was "location/convenience"

and since i've trolled around the webboards....probably 3 or 4 years now....i've seen what i can only estimate as 1000+ comments about the animal kingdom resorts being "all the way out there"

it's bull...to be honest.....that area provides just as convenient access to every area except magic kingdom.....which of course provides poor access to downtown and animal kingdom....

I feel that the inconvenience factor of AKL is more than a myth. When compared to other deluxe resorts, it certainly is more difficult to get to and from other resorts from AKL for dining, shopping, and other nightlife options. And while AKL's bus transportation to the parks is very efficient, the resort does not offer the alternate transportation options (i.e., monorail, boat, or even walking) available at other deluxe resorts. :mickey:

big blue and hairy
11-11-2008, 08:17 AM
well....see here's the thing....

people complained about coronado being "too far out" when i worked at caribbean....

the reality is that animal kingdom still probably holds the least appeal....by some margin....to the majority of guests.....and the hotels get a stigma from it as well.....

the other thing i forgot to mention is that Allstar....as a the most utilized convention location....especially for youth groups....gets the heck beat out of it...

it shows....POP has been spared that by and large.....the failure to finish the second half ensured that the first half would be spared this punishment in the short term....

There is a public sentiment against the aK area hotels.....

coronado is easily better than caribbean....and arguably better than port and dixie.....but the demand is not as high

animal kingdom is easily in the top 3 best deluxes.....but might be the least in demand....

there's something out there...it's a little more than just a feeling:thedolls:I agree with almost everything you said. The only thing I don't agree with just shows the difference between opinion and fact. I don't think AKL is easily top 3 of the Deluxes. It is very nice, but I would easily place it behind GF, Poly, WL, YC & BC. I think I would also put it behind CR since the refurb. (I hated the wildly colorful decor CR had until the rfurb, but I really like the new one).

Hmmmm....about the conference wear and tear you mentioned...if the other side is the Animation Inn and Suites and a different resort (whether it really is or just appears to be) that should help keep the crowds away from there and in the All Stars :)

Ian
11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
animal kingdom is easily in the top 3 best deluxes.....but might be the least in demand....I think you left off the " ... in my opinion ... " from that sentence.

Because IMO, I find AKL the least appealing of all the deluxe resorts. I'd much prefer to stay at any of the MK area resorts or BC/YC/BW first. In fact, I'd prefer SSR over AKL.

Hammer
11-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I think you left off the " ... in my opinion ... " from that sentence.

Because IMO, I find AKL the least appealing of all the deluxe resorts. I'd much prefer to stay at any of the MK area resorts or BC/YC/BW first. In fact, I'd prefer SSR over AKL.

While I don't think AKL is in the top 3 of deluxes, I rank it higher than you, Ian. Once again, this is just my opinion, the rooms at BW, at least the Villa side, need to be spruced up (same with OKW). BW has a great location, but that's not enough to satisfy me. Also, I'm not a real fan of the Poly and don't think that GF is worth what they charge for it (comparing it to outside high end properties) though the hotel is lovely. I rate the food offerings at AKL over the food offerings at WL.

Actually, for our October 2009 DVC trip, we are looking to get into either Bay lake Towers or AKL Kidani Village 1 BR (we want the extra bathroom) at the 7 month mark. Otherwise, we will stay at SSR. I have stayed there and I like very much.

lockedoutlogic
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
While I don't think AKL is in the top 3 of deluxes, I rank it higher than you, Ian. Once again, this is just my opinion, the rooms at BW, at least the Villa side, need to be spruced up (same with OKW). BW has a great location, but that's not enough to satisfy me. Also, I'm not a real fan of the Poly and don't think that GF is worth what they charge for it (comparing it to outside high end properties) though the hotel is lovely. I rate the food offerings at AKL over the food offerings at WL.

Actually, for our October 2009 DVC trip, we are looking to get into either Bay lake Towers or AKL Kidani Village 1 BR (we want the extra bathroom) at the 7 month mark. Otherwise, we will stay at SSR. I have stayed there and I like very much.

i think you summed it up well....except for saratoga being decent....

Ian,
when you look at the offerings....the actual tangible amenities....AKL/Villas is right up there....

the theme is what alot of people don't like...but once the the new DVC section is completed.....they will have 3 sitdown restaurants and two quickserves.....two major pool areas and associated facilities....

that is alot more than most locations.....more than the poly, more than the contemporary, more that wilderness....much much more than okw and saratoga....

And while the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club area holds more combined....individually they lag....

AKL is one of the best facilities.....i have no doubt...

If you want to sit at the poly, play 50% more a night, have two smallish pools, no hot tubs, good restaurants....but not spectacular.....
all for a boat and a train and a view of a fiberglass castle then that's your choice.....

but as has been stated...its a matter of taste...

I would say that the FACTS say that AKL trails only the Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin megaopolis as far as what you get in your area.....

not that many tastes don't lean toward the GF, poly, wilderness lodge, boardwalk, etc....

but in terms of hardware....AKL is right up there....

Ian
11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I would choose the other resorts over AKL because I think they are comparable in all categories and clearly dominant in location.

If you like the animal theme, then AKL is a better choice.

Hammer
11-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Ian, I'll agree to disagree with you about "comparable in all categories". Based on the pricing structure, some of the deluxe resorts should be above that of AKL and WL and I don't think they are.

Remember, AKL will soon have 2 feature pools (like SSR, as I consider the pool in the Grandstand to be like another feature pool minus a slide), 2 pool bars and 3 restaurants. Yes, the location does hurt AKL, but if you get a car (as I do and I know you do as well), it would be pretty simple getting to various points. We went there twice this last trip and transport time was not a problem.

Locked, we are all quite aware of your personal dislike for SSR. Doesn't make it fact, though. I do prefer SSR over other locations and I have stayed at many different WDW resorts.

lockedoutlogic
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Ian, I'll agree to disagree with you about "comparable in all categories". Based on the pricing structure, some of the deluxe resorts should be above that of AKL and WL and I don't think they are.

Remember, AKL will soon have 2 feature pools (like SSR, as I consider the pool in the Grandstand to be like another feature pool minus a slide), 2 pool bars and 3 restaurants. Yes, the location does hurt AKL, but if you get a car (as I do and I know you do as well), it would be pretty simple getting to various points. We went there twice this last trip and transport time was not a problem.

Locked, we are all quite aware of your personal dislike for SSR. Doesn't make it fact, though. I do prefer SSR over other locations and I have stayed at many different WDW resorts.

and as far as my "dislike"....actually i would use "disdain" or "loathe" for Saratoga...
I'll be quiet when I get what I want:

Either a letter writing campaign that results in the complete and total demolition of the area...
or the construction of a completely new services building that includes a good sitdown restaurant, new gift shop and dedicated quickserve, and a main pool that isn't crammed into former golf cart storage amonst a spiderweb convuluted pattern of pedestrian walkways....

that's all...is that asking too much?:secret::thedolls:

lockedoutlogic
11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I would choose the other resorts over AKL because I think they are comparable in all categories and clearly dominant in location.

If you like the animal theme, then AKL is a better choice.

i also disagree on your 'comparable' assertion....

akl will clearly offer more hard amenities than wilderness, contemporary, and polynesian....at a minimum....

and will be pretty comparable to GF, Boardwalk, and Y&B......

but it will rank below all in demand....

the location is better for others....depending what you want....

view of the castle is...in my opinion...a completely overrated 'perk'...
100 yard access to the UK pavilion is ALOT better....again...in my opinion

Jasper
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Since it seems that there are as many opinions about which resort is the most preferred as there are people commenting makes it appear to me that Disney's strategy of providing something for everyone is working. I think that the varied opinions on this thread just seem to bear out this argument.

Sure, there are different things we would all like to see tweaked at each of the resorts but overall we all seem to have our favorites and those favorites are different depending on who you are and what background you bring to the conversation. I would imagine that the people at Disney see this sort of thing and just get warm and fuzzy all over.

big blue and hairy
11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Since it seems that there are as many opinions about which resort is the most preferred as there are people commenting makes it appear to me that Disney's strategy of providing something for everyone is working. I think that the varied opinions on this thread just seem to bear out this argument.

Sure, there are different things we would all like to see tweaked at each of the resorts but overall we all seem to have our favorites and those favorites are different depending on who you are and what background you bring to the conversation. I would imagine that the people at Disney see this sort of thing and just get warm and fuzzy all over.I completely agree. That was my point when I disagreed about AKL being top 3. It's my opinion. Other's have thier opinion. Also, what you consider to make it better is an opinion, it's not just numbers.

:sulley:

Ian
11-11-2008, 03:41 PM
i also disagree on your 'comparable' assertion....

akl will clearly offer more hard amenities than wilderness, contemporary, and polynesian....at a minimum....Based on what??? That's a ridiculous comment because it presumes that the only criteria for judging "amenities" is the number of amenities.

Simply having more of something doesn't necessarily mean you have better things.

Ian, I'll agree to disagree with you about "comparable in all categories". Based on the pricing structure, some of the deluxe resorts should be above that of AKL and WL and I don't think they are.Even if they're not 100% comparable (which I'm not conceding), in my opinion the location of the other resorts more than offsets any other deficiences.

But in reality, I don't think any of the resorts I mentioned are in any way inferior to AKL. Dining at the Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian is far superior to what's offered at AKL. I actually prefer what's at WL to AKL, too, but that's a closer match.

AKL probably wins in the pool area, since their new one looks to be pretty amazing.

Hammer
11-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Even if they're not 100% comparable (which I'm not conceding), in my opinion the location of the other resorts more than offsets any other deficiencies.

But in reality, I don't think any of the resorts I mentioned are in any way inferior to AKL. Dining at the Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian is far superior to what's offered at AKL. I actually prefer what's at WL to AKL, too, but that's a closer match.

AKL probably wins in the pool area, since their new one looks to be pretty amazing.

Ian, our opinions aren't going to agree on this. You know Dining is a big thing for me (as well as my sister). I'm not that bowled over with the dining choices at WL. Artist Point is nice, but I liked Jiko better. Whispering Canyon holds no interest for me, as I don't want to deal with the shtick. The Poly has nice restaurants, but they aren't deluxe caliber in my opinion. I like the two restaurants at AKL more than the ones at the Poly. I do think the Contemporary and Grand Floridian have the best resort restaurants on property, though I can take or leave Chef Mickey's.

Don't get me wrong; I like all of the deluxe resorts, as well as SSR (not to mention CSR in the moderate category). Location is not enough of a factor for me to devalue AKL. Neither of us is wrong, as it is just our opinions and neither opinion has more validity than the other.

Ian
11-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Neither of us is wrong, as it is just our opinions and neither opinion has more validity than the other.Absolutely. That was my point. Some people make broad, sweeping pronouncements about resorts and state them as fact.

I was trying to present a counterpoint to show that there is no fact when it comes to resort choices. It's a pure matter of opinion.

lockedoutlogic
11-12-2008, 10:10 AM
You heard it here first:

Jiko is better than California Grill, Narcoossee's, and Artist's Point and Citricos on most days.....

I know....shocking!!!:jaw:

How's that for a 'sweeping pronouncement'?

big blue and hairy
11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
You heard it here first:

Jiko is better than California Grill, Narcoossee's, and Artist's Point and Citricos on most days.....

I know....shocking!!!:jaw:

How's that for a 'sweeping pronouncement'?
Weeellll....it's sweeping....wrong, but sweeping. Kinda proves Ian's and my point.

Hammer
11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Weeellll....it's sweeping....wrong, but sweeping. Kinda proves Ian's and my point.

Just because you or Ian say so doesn't make it wrong either, which is what Ian and I were trying to say with our posts. Different is not wrong. In my personal opinion, Jiko is better than Artist Point, but not Narcoossee's or California Grill. You can disagree, but it does not make either of us wrong.

Locked, it would serve you well to remember that. No one person's opinion is any more important than the other.

Stickey
11-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Clearly, resort and dining evaluations are based on personal preferences. However, the AKL is superior to the other WDW deluxe resorts in theming and dining options. The opportunity to watch the animals from a savannah view room is a unique experience.

The MK resorts are the farthest away from the other parks. The AKL has the advantage of not sharing buses. Based soley on location, the BWI, YC, and BC are the most convenient to Epcot and DHS, however their theming is limited.

Based on my experience:
1) AKL

2) WL
3) Poly
4) YC
5) BC

mudpuppysmom
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
While my family mostly stays at SOG we have stayed at a couple other resorts and in about a month we're going back to AKL b/c my sister wanted to stay there. We've been there and I must say that the rooms are smaller than SOG rooms, the resort is beautiful (and I think that is an understatement), Jiko is awesome! WE like it over Kona at the Poly. Now onto the Poly....my DS#1 keeps asking when we can stay there (the "waterfall" hotel he calls it). He enjoys the atmosphere there and sitting/playing on the beach and watching Wishes and the EWP, plus he likes Dole Whips at CC's (I like em too!!). We also REALLY enjoy going to the CR to dine at Cali Grill -- we don't much like the atmosphere there though, DH thinks it is a bit to tidy and clean for him. We all enjoy the Beach Club though -- it's proximity to Epcot cannot be beat.

Now if you look at where we like and what we like it is all for differing reasons.....everyone likes different stuff for different reasons. We are really not MK people, we are Epcot people. When I told my sister about going to which park on which day she just about fell over upon learning we spend generally THREE days at Epcot and ONE day at MK. She just could not fathom WHAT there was to do at Epcot for three whole days!! I on the other hand cannot fathom spending three days at MK! So even though we are blood relatives cut from the same stone, we like different things -- just like the vast majority of people inthe world!

Disney provides enough to keep us all happy all the time (well, so to speak......someone always will complain about something!).

You have to take opinions for what they are -- opinions.

OK, stepping down now......:soapbox:

DizneyRox
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
AKL has, in my opinion, been THE most underrated resort on property, pretty much from the get go. I'm not exactly sure why, I know people complain about transportation, but I just haven't seen it. I've been "stuck" at many resorts, BW, WL, even the Grand, but never had a problem at AKL.

As far as food goes, AKL has Jiko, which I would put up against any other restaurant and I'm sure they would hold their own. I been overwhelmed at every mea there. Boma, well, I like it, but no one else in my family shares the same opinion. I'm an adventurous eater, not that I consider Boma adventurous, but they do use some not so ordinary flavors.

The grounds are fantastic! Granted, not the same as say the Grand, or the Poly, but they are different resorts. Gift Shop has got to be the best on property as well, or I've never seen anything that compares. Lobby is probably right behind WL in terms of awe factor.

My only complaint with AKL is that it's growing in poularity which is causing a price increase. You could almost stay at AKL for 1/2 of what other deluxe hotels were and STILL people we're doing it.

As I've said in the past, my only use for the Contemporary is a bathroom break on my way to the HDD via the boats. The Grand is just not my cup of tea. The Poly is nice to visit, but when I ask about pricing, I just can't justify it. I used to own at Boardwalk and location there is tough to beat, but the resort is just Ehh.. Beach Club has been a favorite for the past few trips, but just because of it's proximity to Epcot. I don't care for any of the dining options around that area (BW, YC and BC). And Wilderness Lodge is just, I don't know, out of sight, out of mind... Been there, done that, I'll stay again if I can't get my first choice...

BigRedDad
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
I stayed at AKL for our Honeymoon. I had no complaints about the resort other than the buses. It was a unique situation because it was shortly after 9/11 and WDW had not worked out the logistic kinks due to low occupancy. On several bus trips, our bus did stop at the All Stars. That was my only complaint while being there. It is a minor complaint and nothing I would use not to stay there. This is not the case any more. I think AKL does share a bus from Blizzard Beach if there is not many people getting on or off.

I would go back there again at some point, most likely hen my DD is a little older to enjoy the animals more.

bkfree
11-12-2008, 02:12 PM
When we go to Disney we look for experiences and lodging that cannot be duplicated elsewhere, to me that is where I set the bar.

I have stayed at as nice or better resorts elsewhere in the world on the GF, POLY and Contemporary scale as far as accomodations, theming and ammenities. For us the are only unique in that they are WDW.

WL has unique theme on its side, but again have stayed at some mountain resorts that were very similiar.

But AKL is the only resort that offers unique theming, one of a kind dining and the animal savanahs that are not duplicated anywhere else that I know of, on this continent anyway.And it has the most activities within the resort for adults and kids. Add all of that to it being in WDW and for us that make is by far the best choice.
And the perk of it being the least priced of the deluxes gives it a total WOW choice. But I do hope that others keep buying in to it not being all that and keep the crowd there at a minimum.
I will say that while YC is not unique as far as theme over any other beach front property we have stayed at, its location between Epcot and DHS gives it a uniqueness that the others do not have.
So for us
1) AKL
2)AKL
3)AKL
4)YC

big blue and hairy
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Just because you or Ian say so doesn't make it wrong either, which is what Ian and I were trying to say with our posts.
That's exactly what I was saying. The fact that you prefer one restaurant over another doesn't make a sweeping statement that it is better correct, therefore, it is wrong. If locked prefers it, that is fine with me. That has been my point all along, the same one Ian and you have made.

big blue and hairy
11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
And Wilderness Lodge is just, I don't know, out of sight, out of mind... Been there, done that, I'll stay again if I can't get my first choice...That appears to be one of the big problems with AKL. Wilderness Lodge is very close to MK, and easy to connect to the monorail from. I prefer WL to AKL, but not for the reasons I just said. I really like the atmosphere of the resort, the background music, the pool area, overlooking the lake. I think it is a beautiful resort.

While I think AKL is beautiful, something about it just didn't do it for me. The room in which we stayed was very dark and was impossible to get bright. The pool area at the main lodge (I know nothing about the villa pool) was not very impressive to me, and a lot of times, it seems as though we were looking over an almost empty field. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from staying there, that's just the impression I was left with.

DW and I will still stop by from time to time to check out the shop, and once in a great while visit the restaurants.

Zawadi
11-12-2008, 02:58 PM
And the perk of it being the least priced of the deluxes gives it a total WOW choice. But I do hope that others keep buying in to it not being all that and keep the crowd there at a minimum.

Here Here! Keep the crowds away and leave the resort for exclusive use by us true AKL fans.

BrerGnat
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I've been intrigued by this thread, so I'll throw in my 2 cents on the AKL debate. I've never actually stayed there, but have visited a couple of times.

First of all, on my few visits, I HAVE waited a LONG time at the AKL bus stop for buses to parks and downtown Disney. A LOOOONG time. Let's say in the neighborhood of 40-50 min each time. This was on separate visits over the course of a few years. I've just apparently experienced bad bus service from AKL, I guess, but so far I am not impressed.

Upon entering the AKL lobby, I just get a really negative vibe, and I can't put my finger on what it is. It's like, morbid or something. Maybe it's the smell of the burning wood...maybe it's the darkness in there, but it seems very spooky to me and I honestly get the chills when I go in there, like it's haunted, and I don't like that feeling. It SO doesn't give me that good Disney Magic feeling like I get at all the other Disney hotels. It's creepy to me. I'll leave it at that.

Finally, on my last visit there, I went out to the back to see the animals, just because I've always wanted to see what the big deal is. To be blunt, I felt like I was in someone's unkempt backyard. I *barely* saw a giraffe WAY off in the distance, and mostly saw some birds and those cattle with the long horns. I was less than bowled over by the "savannah". It was, as someone described earlier, essentially an empty field. Not my cup of tea. I would especially not pay extra to see that view out my window.

I have never been particularly tempted by either of the restaurants on property either. I consider myself pretty gourmet, but I am not into food that utilizes certain spices, such as what is served at Boma and Jiko, so I'll keep on skipping those.

The AKL, for those reasons, holds NO appeal to me. I'll never stay there. All those who love it can have it, and I'll stay at the resorts that I find inviting and hold some appeal to me. :mickey:

Zawadi
11-12-2008, 05:20 PM
First of all, on my few visits, I HAVE waited a LONG time at the AKL bus stop for buses to parks and downtown Disney.
I think that the bus issue is being addressed as during our last stay there was a CM from Disney Transportation monitoring the situation.

Upon entering the AKL lobby, I just get a really negative vibe, and I can't put my finger on what it is. It's like, morbid or something.
I can understand your negative vibe as you enter the lobby from the porte-cochere. You are presented with a large, rectangular space of dark wood balconies and furniture with the feature window at the far end. The amount of light entering through the window causes your eyes to silhouette the features in the room therefore making it look even darker. However, if you were to stand in front of the window looking back towards the porte-cochere, the lobby comes alive. I'm certain that Disney have done their homework to get an authentic look and feel (or rather wood burning smell) of a real African tribal hut.

I have never been particularly tempted by either of the restaurants on property either. I consider myself pretty gourmet, but I am not into food that utilizes certain spices, such as what is served at Boma and Jiko, so I'll keep on skipping those.
This is personal taste. I can't eat seafood and so I don't like Cape May but it didn't stop me from staying at the Beach Club.

Each to their own preference, as life would be boring if we were all the same :mickey: