PDA

View Full Version : Disney Credit Card?

DisneyFr33k
11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
We have been traveling to Disney more than I thought we would and someone recommended that we get a Capital One Disney Credit Card. Does anyone have one and know the details? Is it worth it? What are the perks? I already have a Capital One Miles Card, so I assume I could switch it over?

Beast_fanatic
11-12-2008, 10:18 AM
The Disney Credit Card is through Chase, not through Capital One.

The primary perk is that you earn 1 reward dollar for every $100 you charge to the card (so it's a 1% return). Some other benefits are that they occasionally announce specials for Disney Visa card holders prior to releasing them to the public. You can also get 0% interest financing on Disney vacation packages booked using the card. You also get a discount at World of Disney at Downtown Disney, there's a photo opportunity/character meet at Epcot exclusive to Disney Visa card holders (and you get a free 5x7), and there are also discounts on park tours. These offers can vary.

BigRedDad
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM
CAUTION: Do not get the card specifically for the 1% points. Unless you are paying off the card every month, the points are not worth it.

disneymom15
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
We've had ours for probably 4 years. I really like it. Every time I use it I see Mickey and think about our next trip, (which happens to be in 3 weeks). We're saving our points to help pay for an upgrade to a moderate resort for our 30th anniversary next year. Like above poster said, there are addition discounts available.

DisneyFr33k
11-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks! Yes, I remember it being through Chase now. My travel agent steered me wrong.

I do pay off my credit card every month. However, now I am earning free airfare down on my Cap. One card. I wonder which is a better deal?

Also, I was told that card holders were offered a free dining plan for this fall? Can anyone confirm?

Deals like that would be beneficial to have the card to me.

Thanks for your input and advice!!

Beast_fanatic
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, there was a free dining offer for cardholders. It's one of the few (if not the only) times that an offer has been exclusive to cardholders.

thumperbug
11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
We have had the Disney Visa card for a few years and love it. We use it for food shopping. gas, etc but we pay it off every month. We use the accrued points on our trips for shopping, dining...

We love the shopping discount you get at WOD, the vacation offers and I particulary love when they have specials where you get 5x the rewards.

I get a lot of fun reactions when I present my Little Mermaid card for purchases.

I also use a SW card to accumulate airline rewards. So generally I will use that card until I book my air fare then switch over to my Disney card to accumulate points for my next trip.

DisneyFr33k
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Out of curiosity, what was the free dining deal offered this Fall to card holders?

DisneyFr33k
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
We love the shopping discount you get at WOD, the vacation offers and I particulary love when they have specials where you get 5x the rewards.

What are the shopping discounts and the 5X rewards?

Beast_fanatic
11-12-2008, 12:14 PM
This was the free dining offer:

Disney Visa Cardholders can get free Dining when booking a Walt Disney World vacation package for check-ins most nights 9/28/08-10/11/08, 11/9/08-11/22/08 & 12/14/08-12/20/08. Purchase a Magic Your Way package of at least three consecutive hotel nights at an official Walt Disney World resort, plus at least 1-day Magic Your Way Base Ticket per person, and get the regular Dining Plan for the length of your stay free.

The shopping discount is only at World of Disney, and it's 10% off purchases of $50 or more and does exclude certain items (snowglobes, DVDs, etc.).

The 5X offers are based on your buying habits and the amount that you have to spend to qualify is also based on your buying habits. Usually they are something like you get 5X the rewards on all your purchases over $500 in a particular category (such as groceries or gas or such). Chase categorizes your purchases though, so not everything that you would consider groceries qualifies - for example, groceries bought at Target/Wal-Mart don't count as those stores aren't categorized as grocery stores.

DisneyFr33k
11-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the information!! Still not sure if switching would be worth it or not... I'll think on it. :unsure:

LauraleeH
11-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I've had it for 2 years now and I kind of wish I had the Starbucks Duetto Visa instead. I go to Starbucks much more often than Disney! ;)

If you travel all over the world, not just Disney World, then your Miles card is probably a better choice. But remember, you can use the Disney Rewards for more than just vacations! You can use it to see a Disney movie or buy stuff at the Disney Store or DisneyShopping.

crazypoohbear
11-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I dont' think it is worth it. you could always open a chase card and NOT use it except when you make your ressies. I don't think you have to put everything on it. just the $200.00 deposit, I could be wrong, I'm sure if I am someone will come along and correct.
As for the free picture you just have to show your card. same thing for the discount in World of Disney, you don't need to use the card for the purchase just show that you have it.

Figaro0826
11-16-2008, 12:06 PM
we put the deposit on one card, can put the rest of the balance to go on the disney card and get the benefits?

Marilyn Michetti
11-16-2008, 12:35 PM
We use it for everything, and in three weeks will have $275 to spend. Not too bad - it will pay for several days of meals, and we've never paid a penny's interest. Six years later, Chase has paid us probably $1500, to flash their plastic.:thumbsup:

jnfr2424
11-21-2008, 06:28 AM
We have the DV card going on 2 years and use it throughout the year. Because of doing this, I used the rewards for tickets to the Very Merry Christmas Party. One thing I love about DV is I have 0% interest - you can not get any better than that!
I also love that you can get a different design anytime you want. I changed mine 3 times so far: Tinkerbell, Cinderella's Castle and currently I have Mickey and friends and thumperbug is right: the reactions when you present the card is very funny!:mickey:
I have a CapOne airline rewards that I just redeemed for this upcoming trip for Thanksgiving
I got rid of AmEx and Citibank and I only have these 2 cards so depending on credit spending habits it can work in your favor!

Bri
11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
i would suggest getting a disney card even if you're not really going to use it. that's what i did. i don't use is that much because i have a united visa card and i get 1 mile for every dollar. the disney rewards card doesn't compare to that. but since i do have the disney visa i was offered the free dining this year that was offered to card holders. and the nice thing about disney visa is that there is no annual fee unlike most of the airline credit cards so it doesn't cost you anything to have it even if you're not going to really use it.