PDA

View Full Version : How exactly does a GAC work?

Bob Parr
11-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I have a 7 year old son with moderate to severe ADHD as well as (not officially diagnosed but all signs point to) Asperger's. We are heading down in Feb. for his second trip. Although we did everything we knew of at the time we had no idea a GAC may have been available to us. Our issue is we will be in a group of 10-16 people, and while we won't all be together the entire time there will almost certainly be an instance or two where we all want to enjoy an attraction at the same time. That being said is a GAC valid for all in the party? I don't want to be a line jumper, especially with 16 people, but I also don't want to get seperated from my group if the rest of the party waits in the regular line.

LoriR
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
They won't give you one for a party of 16. You will need a doctor's note on a prescription pad, and there needs to be a valid reason why you can not wait in a line. Since the FastPass, it is much easier to get around the lines and this is the best option with a party your size. You can all get FastPasses for attractions and come back and go together into that shorter line.

LoriR
11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I should have been more specific: they will only issue a GAC for the immediate family. We had someone in a wheelchair, and only the immediate family could go on with her. My son also has ADHD, and although this is no longer a problem for us (since age 6 he is fine with lines), in the past we did obtain a GAC once, but another time we were not able to. The person at guest services told us that ADHD was not on their list of disabilities which precluded waiting in line.

gerald72
11-12-2008, 07:54 AM
You don't need a doctor's letter to request a Guest Assistance Card. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, you cannot be required to provide proof of a disability.

Visitors with nonapparent disabilities , temporary or permanent, should obtain a GAC, a pass that explains to cast members and accomodations a guest may need. To request a card, go to the Guest Relations area in any Disney theme park. If you are requested a GAC for someone else, he or she must be present when you make the request.

Having a specific diagnosis doesn't qualify or disqualify someone for a GAC. The card is issued based on a person's needs. People with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.

The GAC usually covers up to 6 people. However, the person whose name is on the card must be present to use it.

A card issued in one park is good at all parks (except water parks) and is usually valid for your whole vacation. You cannot use a GAC from a previous trip, and cannot be obtained in advance.

Having a GAC doesn't mean you can advance to the front of the line. The card is designed to provide more convenient entrance into attractions. They are not valid at restaurants or character greeting areas.

LarryBoy
11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
The person at guest services told us that ADHD was not on their list of disabilities which precluded waiting in line.

Do we have a copy of this list anywhere?

gerald72
11-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Do we have a copy of this list anywhere?

I don't believe there is a list. Having a specific diagnosis doesn't qualify or disqualify someone for a GAC. The card is issued based on a person's needs. People with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.

skram79
11-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I was in a pretty bad accident were my legs were crushed. I am walking again, but have problems with standing all day. I don't need help with lines but would like to use the handicap parade viewing across from the hall of presidents. There is a little wall I can sit on. Will I need a GAC for access to this area or would my State issued ID for my placard work?

joanna71985
11-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I was in a pretty bad accident were my legs were crushed. I am walking again, but have problems with standing all day. I don't need help with lines but would like to use the handicap parade viewing across from the hall of presidents. There is a little wall I can sit on. Will I need a GAC for access to this area or would my State issued ID for my placard work?

I am not positive, but I am pretty sure this area is for people in wheelchairs.