PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii Owners

DisneyAddict62
11-11-2008, 10:22 AM
We are planning on getting the kids, 8 and 10, a Wii for Christmas. For those of you that have one, is it easy to set up and what accessories should we get to be able to set up Christmas morning? I don't want to start to set this thing up, then they can't play because we didn't something we should have! I think they might be a little disappointed! They were playing the one set up at BestBuy this past weekend, and were having a blast. I know that the remotes there were attached with a wire, but I assume that is for security purposes? Aren't they wireless, or can you do both?

I am video game challenged, so I thought I would check with you guys for you suggestions!

Nut4DW
11-11-2008, 10:31 AM
My husband is the expert - and I will try to have him send you a message tonight - but I can tell you the remotes are wireless. You should make sure you have at least two. Some of the activities require it - like the boxing in the sports package.

I love the Wii - and you will probably enjoy it as much as your kids. I play a lot of the bowling and tennis. I also have the Wii Fit and my family bought me the outdoor adventure package for my recent birthday. It came with a mat you put on the floor and move around on. I think I may be getting the new Dancing with the Stars for Christmas. Not sure how I will like that.....

Anyway, I don't think it is too difficult to set up, but I will try to remember (I have that some-timers disease :) )to have my DH get back to you on your question.

DisneyWhirled
11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Shelley,

We got a Wii for our kids for Christmas. I too am not a gamer (I haven't really played since the original Nintendo--ohhh I loved that thing!) so I had a lot of questions, too! Here are some of the things I found out. I am hoping some other experts pipe in, 'cause I would love to hear more...

-they suggested that I be sure to get at least two remotes. (One comes with the Wii and in our bundle, we got Wii play (games) and it came with a second).
-they suggested nunchucks for each remote we have. (So, I got two)
-They suggested getting Wii play because it has a lot of games that everyone can enjoy that are not too technical (bowling, table tennis)
-They suggested getting a charging station for the batteries for the Wii remotes.

Hope this helps!!

Ian
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Right out of the gate, I would say you can get away with two remotes, two nunchuck controllers, and one extra game besides the sports one that comes with it.

That's enough for them to enjoy themselves on Christmas morning while still leaving you with a lot of other goodies to buy for birthdays, etc.

Beast_fanatic
11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I just got a Wii a couple of weeks ago so the setup is fresh in my mind. Setup was very simple, and included step-by-step instructions.

If you just got the base Wii, I would definitely get a second remote - as stated above, one comes with Wii Play. Wii Play is pretty good for teaching how to use the remote. And, a second nunchuk would be good for certain games (such as boxing).

ColtsDonald
11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Everyone is correct - so easy to set up.

If you really want to buy another game, so they have something else to play, any of the Guitar Heros are alot of fun.

thumperbug
11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
the set up is so easy you will think you did something wrong. I agree on the need for 2 remotes...you can skip the charger. We have had our Wii almost a year and never had to change batteries or anything.

Get the extra remote with the games..has bowling, tennis....

I am about as far as computer savvy as you can get. I love the Wii.

Also got the Wii fit...thats fun too.

LauraF
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
It's extremely easy to set up, so don't worry about it.

Defintely get a second remote. It cuts down on the "but I wanna play!" responses. (I nagged BF until he bought one for me.) :D

mouseketeer mom
11-11-2008, 11:17 AM
We got our three kids the Wii last Christmas. It came with one remote, and Wii sports. I purchased a second remote and other games. However, Wii sports is still the hit with my kids, and it came with the Wii!! They never tire of the tennis and bowling. You don't need the nunchucks to start using the Wii. Only select games require them. I don't think we've ever used them and we have had the Wii almost a year. My kids love Cooking Mama and Carnival Games. My 12 year old loves the sea and she loves Endless Ocean. Have fun!

DisneyLandMomma
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree with needing two remotes(one comes with the system), two nunchucks, and really suggest the Wii Play(which comes with a remote). I feel it's really the game that should of came with the system as alot of the games on it are teaching you how to use your remote. Also if you don't get a remote charging station, make sure you have LOTS of batteries on hand because once they start playing, they won't want to stop. LOL

TinkerbellT421
11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Everyone is correct. Also along with the Wii Play, and the extra non chuck. I would definitely buy the Mario Party 8 game. Especially for the kids. All I am going to say is its fun for everyone (Think board games) and I have spent many hours of my recent life playing that game...lol....But it was oHhhhhh so much fun! :mickey: Kids will love it. If you let them take your turns away from you to play! lol

cajunprincess
11-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I bought 3 extra controllers, and nunchucks for each controller. As my extra game, I purchased the MarioKart Wii which was a HUGE hit in our house. If you buy the MarioKart game, i strongly suggest you also get a Wii Wheel for each controller, It makes gameplay much easier. If you do not purchase the rechargeable batteries, i suggest an economy pack of "AA" batteries....trust me you'll need them! Have Fun!

laprana
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with everyone else that the Wii is very easy to set up! I'm terrible with those kinds of things, and I was able to set it up no problem! I also agree with getting at least one extra controller, and I would recommend the charging stations, too. The controllers seem to burn through batteries pretty fast!

I just read an article yesterday that said there is supposed to be another shortage of the Wii console again this holiday season, so it might be hard to find a Wii if you wait too long! They were pretty impossible to find last Christmas, unless you wanted to pay double and triple the price on ebay!

Jasper
11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
It is interesting that so many of you are recommending the purchase of a charging station for the batteries. We purchased our Wii the first year they came out so this is either our second or third Christmas with ours and it gets played at least 2-3 times a week during the warm months and 5-6 times a week during the cold months. Maybe it is because we have never used rechargeables, but we have only changed the batteries one time since we bought the system. So based on that I would not recommend a recharging station.

As for setup, we have moved ours around to different televisions several times and never had any issue with the setup. The only thing that is "extra" that you may want to think about is that you can hook your Wii up to the internet so if you want to go that route you will need an internet hookup nearby. Frankly though, despite the heavy usage by our family we have never felt the need to be hooked up to the internet for good game play.

ElenitaB
11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
My only recommendation is that you don't set it up until later in the evening... cause I wouldn't want the adults to be sidetracked by playing the Wii and not getting everything else done! ;)

The Wii is so much fun and I've spent lots of time playing with my DS. I ditto the second remote and the numchuks. We've also gotten great battery life and have had no need for a charger for it.

As for games, check on eBay for used ones. DS has several that he's played to the end and we ended up selling them there. Some of the Pixar games were great, BTW, and he really enjoyed them.

RedSoxFan
11-11-2008, 07:48 PM
We bought Wii for Christmas when they first came out (I was one of the fools who camped out overnight). The kids love Wii and they're favorite game is Mario Kart and Guitar Hero. I agree with getting the steering wheel for Mario Kart and extra controllers. Mario Baseball is what DD12 is asking for Christmas this year.

DisneyFreak23
11-11-2008, 08:19 PM
My brother and I set ours up in under 25 minutes at 3:45 am christmas morning:mickey:

SurferStitch
11-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Right out of the gate, I would say you can get away with two remotes, two nunchuck controllers, and one extra game besides the sports one that comes with it.

That's enough for them to enjoy themselves on Christmas morning while still leaving you with a lot of other goodies to buy for birthdays, etc.

I'll totally ditto this. It's plenty for Christmas day. The sports games that come with the unit are simple, but a blast to play. I love the bowling and tennis games!

We have the Wii and the PS3. I love the Wii!! The games are so much fun. My biggest draw to the PS3 was that it's the best and most update-able Blu-Ray player out there. It also does an amazing job of upgrading DVD display, too. But, when it comes to gaming, I prefer the Wii. There aren't so many darn buttons and combos to remember!

My favorite game so far that I've played on the Wii is Mario Kart. That game is awesome!!

Here we go again...
11-12-2008, 05:08 AM
I purchased the Wii for both of my DD's for Christmas. My oldest DD asked for the Wii for the family gift.
I also purchased the Wii Fit for both with the additional controllers.

NOW my youngest DD is showing no interest in getting a Wii.... what do I do? Do you think she will like it once she starts using it? Or should I just return it and start shopping again???

Beast_fanatic
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I purchased the Wii for both of my DD's for Christmas. My oldest DD asked for the Wii for the family gift.

NOW my youngest DD is showing no interest in getting a Wii.... what do I do? Do you think she will like it once she starts using it? Or should I just return it and start shopping again???

I think she'll like it once she starts playing it.

Jeff G
11-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Angle, I agree with Rhonda. We got our kids the Wii 2 years ago and my DS who was 7 had no interest. Once we had it up and running he was addicted.

As for the OP, if you can swing it I would recommend 3 additional remotes and one nunchuck. The sports game that comes with the system is great and most games can be played by up to 4. It's fun for my DW, myself and my two kids to all play at once.

As for extra games, I would recommend that you rent the games before you purchase them. It's a great way to try the game before throwing $50 at it.

If you do want a 2nd game I'd suggest a multi-player like Mario Kart, Mario Party or Guitar Hero where everyone can play.

DisneyAddict62
11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! We definitely were planning on getting another remote, we will probably go with the Wii Play since it comes with one! So you need the nunchuck also to play some of the games, and these connect to the remote? DS, 8, had an absolute blast playing the baseball while we were at the store, he is SOOO into playing baseball! When I told him it was time to go, I heard him say to himself, "Man, I really need one of these!" It was SO cute! They really enjoy MarioKart on their DS's so I'm sure we will end up with that one. DH would like to get the Wii Fit and maybe someone will buy Mommy here Aerosmith Guitar Hero! :secret: Still in love with Joe Perry after all these years! :blush: HaHaHa!:rocker:

I am REALLY glad to hear it was so easy to set up! That should make for a less stressful day! Thanks you guys, I appreciate it :rocks:

thrillme
11-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Like everyone said...get at LEAST one extra controller so you'll have 2. Personally we found we needed FOUR so WE can play along with which ever "rental" child happens to be over that evening (rental children are those that "appear" live with you but you aren't responsible for clothing them or sending them to college :D) .

You're youngest will probably end up being the biggest player. Make sure you get an easy game like "Carnival Games". We really like Rabbid Rabbits 1 (the second one wasn't as good). Mario Party is a good one too. You don't have to be an AWESOME gamer to play.

I just bought my son Guitar Hero World Tour for my son (two guitars). He's LOVING it.

TigChatt
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
We just purchased Wii Fit and Wii Music yesterday. I am already LOVING the Wii Fit. I love the personal trainer part, and the motivation. Wii Music is going to get a lot of play too. It's fun to play all parts of the band, and hear how bad you sound afterwards. My 2yr old is gonna love this one. Everyone else is lucky on the battery life. We have had to replace the batteries every so often, so we will probably get the charger. My parents got to try ours when we first got ours and have been looking into getting one. Well I finally saw some Wiis in stock at the local Wal-mart here. My parents are now the proud owners of a Wii, and they are NOT gamers. A Wii will make you a gamer, I tell you!

To the op, I would just about have a controller for each immediate family member. It gets tiring passing around controllers.

thrillme
11-12-2008, 12:38 PM
May I add ONE more tip...

BUY IT NOW

The closer you get to Thanksgiving the harder they will be to find. If you change your mind or find a better deal (which they really never seem to have price breaks)...you can Always return it...But do NOT delay...Get it an HIDE it.

I bought ours last year for my son's November B-Day (they had already been out for year) and they were very very scarce. I had to call around and I finally tackled one at GameStop...the LAST one and they had just came in that day. Controllers too were difficult to get. We got 3 early on and near to Christmas when we wanted the 4th they were sold out EVERYWHERE.

I want to say it won't be a problem this year but...I'd get it out of the way anyway. This seems to be an "economically" CRAZY year.

mdhiggin
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
DH and I bought one. We went to Wal-Mart to get one, and I found out we "needed" a new TV too when we got there. DH is an electronics lover. DS 13 said he didn't want a wii. We said that was fine, since it was not for him. He is constantly wanting to play it now. We got the Wii Fit. Love it. I do not play video games at all, but I like this, and the kids actually have to move around when they play games. It makes me feel better about letting them play when they get some exercise at the same time. We bought the Jillian Michaels game for it last night for all of you Biggest Loser fans. I'm sore today. That's good, right? DH went into the GameStop to get the game last night and said all the guys in there were staring at him with his Jillian Michaels workout game while they were getting the latest games. Too funny. I also saw a Disney trivia game for it that looks pretty neat.

scoot241
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
If you like to spend your Thanksgiving sitting in front of a store in line, Sam's has an excellent deal that includes the Wii, three remotes, three nunchucks, Wii Sports, Mario Super Sluggers, and a golf game I can't remember the title of for $225 (and your sanity) on Black Friday.

Otherwise I'd do what most are suggesting: buy the Wii, Wii Play (the game is okay, but you're really buying a remote), another nunchuck, and another game. My personal suggestion? Mario Kart. If you do get Mario Kart, pick up another Wii Wheel (Mario Kart comes with one). It's just a piece of plastic, but it actually works well.

Davyjones
11-12-2008, 08:40 PM
May I add ONE more tip...

BUY IT NOW

The closer you get to Thanksgiving the harder they will be to find. If you change your mind or find a better deal (which they really never seem to have price breaks)...you can Always return it...But do NOT delay...Get it an HIDE it.

I bought ours last year for my son's November B-Day (they had already been out for year) and they were very very scarce. I had to call around and I finally tackled one at GameStop...the LAST one and they had just came in that day. Controllers too were difficult to get. We got 3 early on and near to Christmas when we wanted the 4th they were sold out EVERYWHERE.

I want to say it won't be a problem this year but...I'd get it out of the way anyway. This seems to be an "economically" CRAZY year.

I second this. It is going to get harder and harder to get these as Christmas approaches. Everyone here has given you great advice! :thumbsup: As for games, I just got Disney Think Fast!, which is a Game Show type video game. My wife and I had fun playing it, but it is definitely geared toward younger crowds. Mario Party is great and so is Mariokart. It just depends on what everyone's interests are.

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :D

DisneyAddict62
11-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Well our BestBuy had several of them last weekend, but of course we couldn't buy with the kids with us, but DH and I are having a "date night" Saturday and are planning on getting a big chunk of our Christmas shopping done.

The Sam's deal sounds good, but I don't plan on going anywhere near a store on Friday! :turkey:

joanna71985
11-13-2008, 08:11 AM
My family has a Wii. I have fallen in love with it. My favorite games are DDR and Guitar Hero (I get a lot of work out of the DDR, since I am not coordinated at all.:blush:). The next game I want to get is Disney Think It (it's a Disney trivia game!!).

LarryBoy
11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Santa :santa2: has already found one for DS7 and myself. :thumbsup: I can't wait for Christmas to get here. :D My DS 7 is autistic but was really good on his cousins Wii. I was so glad I found one at the local GameStop. I plan on buying Wii Play and another nunchuck as well. I'm hoping I might be able to get the accessories for cheap at the local Circuit City that's going out of business. How many controllers (remotes) can you actually plug into the Wii? Is it 4?

LarryBoy
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
What is a good game for the whole family? One that mom and DS 7, neither very video game savy, can enjoy.

LandFan
11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
How many controllers (remotes) can you actually plug into the Wii? Is it 4?

Yes. You can use up to 4 controllers with the Wii. We love our Wii!

LarryBoy
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
:muscles: Bump.

What is a good game for the whole family? One that mom and DS 7, neither very video game savy, can enjoy.

Beast_fanatic
11-21-2008, 10:59 AM

I've heard that carnival games is pretty good for all ages and not too complicated. I have the carnival games mini-golf, and it's kind of fun, so I would think the original might be a good choice.

pixiesmimi
11-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I saw Wal-Mart's Black Friday ad today on line and they are going to have it on sale. It says, "We have stocked plenty" and the sale on them goes into Sat. Don't know what "Plenty" means because our Wal-Mart always only gets three or four of the most wanted things. I would like to have the Wii Fit but am not a gamer. DGSs would love it though.

Magic Smiles
11-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I was too lazy to read all of the replies, but I would recommend 1 controller for each person that would be playing Mariocart at one time, up to a maximum of 4. The steering wheels are also great, especially for a Mom like me. My DS is always using his charger for the controllers. Great purchase that was. I too lined up the 1st day that the Wii came out and we have enjoyed it ever since that 1st Christmas.
Depending on the kids ages, both Guitar Hero and Rock Band are amazing along with the Wii Sport games. Oh yes and the Mario games - all of them.
Okay we are video game junkies:secret:and own all of the current systems plus most of the older ones..........long before kids.

GoofeyAtDisney
11-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I was too lazy to read all of the replies, but I would recommend 1 controller for each person that would be playing Mariocart at one time, up to a maximum of 4. The steering wheels are also great, especially for a Mom like me. My DS is always using his charger for the controllers. Great purchase that was. I too lined up the 1st day that the Wii came out and we have enjoyed it ever since that 1st Christmas.
Depending on the kids ages, both Guitar Hero and Rock Band are amazing along with the Wii Sport games. Oh yes and the Mario games - all of them.
Okay we are video game junkies:secret:and own all of the current systems plus most of the older ones..........long before kids.

Ok to start this, Im her ( ^ ) son! :P

Anyways, if you are shopping for kids, the Wii is definitely the way to go. Im 16 and still love playing the Wii, but only with other people.

I have to admist, the Wii can be pretty boring when you are playing by yourself, but with two or more its a blast.

You should probobly start off with a Wiimote (the long remote control looking things) and a Nunchuck (the thing that attaches to the Wiimotes) for every person that will likely be playing at one time. Not all games require both the Wiimote and the nunchuck, but all of them require the Wiimote, so if you only get one, get that.

The games I would recommend are Wario Ware Smooth Moves (hilarious, very fast paced), Animal Crossing City Folk (havent played this one but LOVED the first two, hard to explain, look it up! :P), and MARIO KART! YOU HAVE TO GET MARIO KART!

Also, there is WiFi on the Wii (so wireless internet play) like in MArio Kart so if you have a router, there is always someone (maybe even in Africa or Japan) that is willing to play.

Other than those things ( I went over bored, Im game obsessed :blush:) you should be fine for Xmas morning! :)

Jeff
11-23-2008, 07:53 AM

An easy one, that is fun for all ages, is Mario Party. :thumbsup: