PDA

View Full Version : ECV Advice

Disney Doll
11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm planning a trip with my mother and she will be using an ECV. This will be our first trip to the world with an ECV. She went with us 2 years ago and rented a wheelchair. That worked well because she didn't need it all the time, but her disability has progressed and an ECV is really the only option at this point. She has rented an ECV a few times before (not at Disney) and really enjoyed the freedom. My parents are thinking they will just buy an ECV and bring her own rather than rent. I think as time progresses she will need the ECV more and more so it just makes sense to buy one instead of wasting the money to rent over and over. Plus, she will need it at the airport too. I really want everything to go smoothly for her so for those of you who have gone with an ECV do you have any tips? I think my biggest fear is the bus system. We always use the buses, but I have seen and read about how ECV users can be treated by other guests in line. My mom doesn't have very thick skin so I'm thinking about discreetly suggesting to my dad that we rent a car this time. Aside form the bus situation is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!!

Disney Doll
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
One more question. For those of you who use an ECV regularly, is there a certain one you would recommend for someone who is looking to buy one? My mom is a small lady, 5'2'' and probably under 130lbs.

TheDuckRocks
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Using the ECV on the buses - It really is not as hard as it looks and after the first few times she'll be a pro. As for the evil looks and remarks, beat them to the punch and be very polite to all your fellow bus riders and kind of remark about how glad you are that Disney allows your mom the ablity to take vacations when normally she can't......and so on. That pretty well shuts the old grumps up that have problems with waiting a minute or two to get an ECV on board the bus. And most people are very kind and even go out of their way to say hi.
Getting an ECV of her own - I just got my own ECV not to long ago and I first went to a local home healthcare equipment showroom and tried out the various brands and models. Ask a lot of questions and check out the turning radius. Then go home and check out the internet and double check that the price you are getting is a good one. I ordered mine from SpinLife from their website and got it for hundreds of dollars less than what I could find in this area and all shipping fees were included. I have a Pride Go-go Elite with an upgraded seat (the one that came with it hit me in a very uncomfortable spot). SpinLife was able to do this for me with no trouble and for not very much money more than the basic ECV and the local place was either unable or unwilling to do this for me.
Your mom will love having her own ECV, I know I do.

Marilyn Michetti
11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Yea Kay, we're both riding around on the Go-Go Elite. It's terrific, and I too bought mine online - no tax or shipping. The turning radius on this ECV in phenomonal, and it's light enough that my DH can actually lift it into the bus slot. It comes with interchangable color panels, so you can do red, blue, or silver at your discretion. (I'm doing red at Disney).

Don't let the busses scare you. Most of the time, it's not that big of a deal. Go to a local dealership and test drive. They will let you practice "three pointing" into a bus slot. The secret is, just take your time, and put the thing in the slow mode, and listen to the driver guide you.

Have fun ! There are so many advantages to bringing your own scooter, and your mom will be comfortable with the little one.:thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
We found it difficult for my grandparents to manuver the ECVs through crowded areas. Lots of people stepping right in front of them, etc. Luckily they had quick reflexes. What we started doing was having a member or two of our group walk in front of the ECV to help keep people from moving into that area-plus we could say, "excuse me, ECV coming through" where we needed to (like when groups of people were stopped right in front of the ECV parking area for rides).