PDA

View Full Version : Using a Travel Agent???

Maitlynn
11-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Is there any real benifit in using an agent for booking a trip. I"m getting ready to book Jan 09 and was wondering others thoughts or comments on booking right through WDW or using a travel agent.

TIA for your comments. :)

robhink
11-10-2008, 01:30 AM
I've used Magical Journey's for booking my last couple trips there and have had great service every time. They will go out and rebook packages if there are discounts that come out, if you book a package directly you would have to call disney back to get any reduced amounts. The agents can also answer questions and such if needed, and can usually be reached much easier that calling disney.

DizneyRox
11-10-2008, 07:11 AM
I always book directly through hwerever I'm going, cruises, trips to WDW, etc. There isn't a price difference between them usually, there is a commission added that either goes to the travel agent, or stays with Disney, cruise line, etc.

Since I have had a hard time find a good local TA, I just figured I would do it myself. Service these days seems to be an after thought, and when I found out how much commission is added to a lot of these vacations, I didn't think it was best to reward for bad service. If you do find a TA worth their salt, by all means use em.

grumpyguy
11-10-2008, 07:32 AM
i always use my local travel agent mainly for one reason.she knows if something goes wrong i'm coming home to see her personally.
all of our trips have gone smooth as silk.i read some of the horror stories on these boards and often think that if my agent is getting a commision for me having a great time it's money well spent.we may try getting a quote from magical journeys this year just to compare on any savings but it would have to be significant dollars for us to change what has worked for us in the past.
good luck.:thumbsup:

BMan62
11-10-2008, 08:32 AM
I used to book everything myself until the wonderful people here on Intercot turned me on to Magical Journeys. Now, I let them take care of everything I need for our vacations - except airfare to Orlando.

I have crunched the numbers for each trip and somehow, Denise at Magical Journeys has found ways to better the best numbers I could come up with significantly.

Add to this the fact, as another poster stated, they will contact you if any discounts/upgrades/savings can be applied to your reservation. Also, there is no charge for partaking of their services.

To paraphrase an old commercial -- 'Try them, you'll like them.'

vicster
11-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think I'd ever book again without using Magical Journeys. I've used them the past few years and they're wonderful. If there are any discounts they will get them for you.

mickeefan
11-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I always planned my own trips as I didn't want to give up control.
Then in 2004 I was having an impossible situation so I thought, why not, and contacted Magical Journeys. Wendy came to my rescue and got me exactly what I had been trying to get without success.
She has handled all our trips since then and I would not think of going any other way. As someone else said you are aware of any new savings available the instant they are made available.
Our trip next month will be the 7th in a row she has handled for us.

pandkx3
11-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Previous trips, I just booked myself. However, for my upcoming trip in June, I used Wendy at MJ. She's wonderful! I just got an email yesterday about the upcoming discount, which saved me hundreds of dollars. Wendy had already updated my reservation, so all the leg work was done:yay::yay::yay:

c&d
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
The only time I ever use a travel agent is when we book WDW not using our DVC points. Karen at MJ has always gotten us the best prices. I don't have to worry about watching when the discounts are coming out.

brian2000boston
11-10-2008, 10:45 AM
We used AAA last time and do not feel i received much value add, i booker direct this time.

Disneyfan1971
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I've never used a travel agent to book a trip for WDW--never really thought about going about it this way. Good luck on planning your trip.

thrillme
11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
I usually handle everything myself but this time I used Terrisue at Magical Journey's. SHE WAS AWESOME.

She made the entire process unbelievably EASY and she kept her eyes open for specials.

I don't know when we'll be able to go again but I will DEFINATELY use Magical Journey's again.

faline
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd highly recommend using Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/)for your Disney trips.

Magical Journeys is the only travel agency I will use! I've used other travel agents over time and have mostly found them annoying! They never think of me again after I've booked the trip unless I hound them (i.e. I find a better price and ask them to rebook me at the better price - easier to do myself!)

On the other hand, Magical Journeys always keeps my reservations handy and updates my resevervations with better deals even before I know they're available! Fantastic folks! Terrific service!

You won't regret it!

mulderxcoltrane
11-10-2008, 06:53 PM
It seems as if posts have been referring to two different things (if I understand correctly)

1) a travel agency (such as AAA) will normally charge a fee to book your travel

2) a Disney-authorized vacation planner normally (but I could be wrong) like Magical Journeys does not charge a fee to book your travel b/c they get a commission from Disney for selling their product (hotel, packages, etc).

Also - in our experience - a planner like Magical Journeys normally knows WDW better b/c that's all they do (or it's their specialty). As a result - most AAA agents won't automatically apply a discount to help you save $ - you have to call and request a code to be applied.

thumperbug
11-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Authorized Disney Vacation Planners do not charge a fee. Their commission is paid by the vendors, not the client.

Disney Doll
11-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I used to book things myself, but now we use Wendy at MJ. She has booked 2 trips for us now and we are very happy with her. Magical Journeys is different than a regular travel agency. Like previous posters mentioned they do not charge you a commission and since Disney is their specialty they know their stuff. Best of all once you book you don't have to worry about whether or not you got the best price. MJ will monitor discounts and will let you know if a discount has been released that might apply to you. We had a horrible experience with a local travel agent many years ago and that taught me to take charge of my own reservations. I never would have tried MJ if not for all the wonderful feedback I saw from these boards. When so many people are raving about it, you figure it must be good, and it was.

illini
11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I've used Debbie at MJ for every trip. I know some places' customer service has declined but definitely not at MJ. I promise you that Debbie earns every single cent she makes with me as a client-- she should make more, I'm sure.

Could I book it myself? Sure, but I'd have to try to apply discounts later and poss spend hours on hold. It's nice to have a little backup in case things go south, too (not that I've had that happen but I know MJ would help if possible). Plus, silly as it sounds, it's really fun to have someone else in on the planning with you.