PDA

View Full Version : Wrapped presents on plane?

Minniefan68
11-09-2008, 04:15 PM
For some reason I thought I read/heard someone say that wrapped gifts are not allowed in carry-ons or in suitcases?

I have something to bring to my sister-in-law when we meet at the World next week, can I pack it? Or do I have to unwrap it?

glenpreece
11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
That's correct no wrapped gifts are allowed. They will rip them open. i had this happen with a frame I bought and it was "wrapped" (it came that way) and they took it out asked what it was and I told them then they proceeded to rip it open and take the frame out to check it out.

Figaro
11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me for them to unwrap it if it can fit thru the X-Ray machine. I know in checked bags, there's a chance the X-Ray machine can go down and they hand search bags in which case it would be opened. Try giving the TSA at your airport a call and see what they say.

Polynesian Dweller
11-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me for them to unwrap it if it can fit thru the X-Ray machine. I know in checked bags, there's a chance the X-Ray machine can go down and they hand search bags in which case it would be opened. Try giving the TSA at your airport a call and see what they say.

For carry-ons it makes all kinds of sense. X-RAYs can't see things like gels and liquids which could be concealed in wrapped gifts. So, they will and do rip them open to make sure that those kinds of items aren't there.

For checked, if your bag is searched the wrapped gift will be unwrapped. In general, anything wrapped raises suspicions a little bit.

Take the gifts and some wrapping paper seperately and wrap them when you get there. It can save a lot of hassle at the airport.

The TSA site has complete information and links to additional info on the FAA site (some cross jurisdiction here).

wdw_bound
11-09-2008, 05:46 PM
TSA doesn't have to make sense. They are TSA, and while you are under their jurisdiction, what they say goes.

Having said that, I'd suggest a gift bag. We've done this before and had no problems - it's actually easier to pack, either in carry-on or in checked luggage.

I've had TSA open my checked bags several times, usually for some reason on an outbound flight. It is for this reason that anything I wouldn't want a stranger touching or I wouldn't want falling on the floor (undies, toothbrushes, etc.) go in ziploc bags inside my luggage.

Have a great time with your family in the World! :mickey:

NotaGeek
11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
This is from the official TSA Website: (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/index.shtm)

Arrive on time. Arrival time recommendations vary by airline and day of travel, so check with your carrier. A boarding pass and valid government photo ID are required to enter the security checkpoint. Remember to give yourself adequate time to check your baggage and move through security.

Do not wrap gifts. If a security officer needs to inspect a package they may have to unwrap your gift. Please wait to wrap gifts until you're at your destination.

Pets. Please remove all animals from their carrying cases and send the case through the X-ray machine. Hold your pet in your arms and proceed through the metal detector.

Children. Please take your infants and children out of baby carriers and strollers and take them through the metal detector with you. Strollers and baby carriers go through the X-ray machine with your bags. If possible, collapse your stroller before you get to the metal detector.

Dress the part. Metal in your clothing may set off the screening machines. Pack coins, keys, jewelry, belt buckles and other metal items in your carry-on bag. Remember that all shoes must be removed and placed in bins. Passengers also need to remove winter coats, blazers, suit coats and bulky sweaters.

Film. Undeveloped film should go in your carry-on bag. Declare film that is faster than 800-speed to a security officer for physical inspection to avoid being X-rayed.

When in doubt, leave it out. Bringing prohibited items to the airport will delay the screening process for you and other passengers. If you're not sure which items are allowed, check TSA's Web site for a complete list: Permitted and Prohibited Items (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm).

Think before you speak. Belligerent behavior, inappropriate jokes and threats will not be tolerated. They will result in delays and possibly missing your flight. Local law enforcement may be called as necessary.

cknorr28
11-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Based on all of the reports lately of theft of things in your checked baggage I would be careful of putting anything of value in your luggage. MY Mom came back from vacation in Mexico and her leather blazer and camera were stolen from her check bags.