PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Tips

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I consider myself a somewhat seasoned DW goer, but for some reason, I have just never "gotten" Epcot. I am hoping you can help me out with some tips and must do's to help us really see and enjoy Epcot. We are heading to the World on December 1 and it will be me, DH, DD7 and DS5. And advice would be very appreciated!

ibrowse17
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Well the first thing I would suggest is to not attempt Epcot in a single day. Epcot is a huge place, and can really wear you down. We have found that doing Future World one morning, and the World Showcase another evening really makes Epcot easier and more enjoyable for us. We always break our days up, and spend the morning in one park and evenings in another. Some down time and a nap is a most for my DW, who has epilepsy. As you are going in Dec, I would also suggest taking time at the different countries to explore their ways of celebrating Christmas:thumbsup:

danicafan
11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I would definetely take advantage of the different Christmas customs in each of the countries, it is very interesting. I have been the last two Decembers and love EPCOT for this reason during that time of the year. Your Sons will also probably like watching the candy making lady in Japan. Make sure to arrive a little early and stand up front by her stand, have your sons tell her what type of animal is their favorite and she will make it for them. My niece last year got a pink flamingo and the year before my other niece got a penguin. Just take the time to really enjoy the countries and try not to do it all in one day! We usually do Future World in the morning and then head over to World Showcase in the middle of the afternoon and do what we can and then save the rest for another day. Have fun!!

MickeysEars
11-09-2008, 12:51 PM
In the land, you can have your kids learn how to make cookies. They get a chef's hat, they mix the ingredients and they are given a chocolate chip cookie when they are finished. my DD had a blast doing this when she was 3. She is now 6 and my DS is 3 and if they still do this, We are going to do it again.

Also in Innovations West (?--To the left) you can have your kids make their own paper from pulp, then they can color on it. In the same pavillion they get to make a plastic robot and bring it home. Thats right, a free Disney souviner.

My kids like to stop and rest for the Kidcot stops, they get one for World Showcase and one for Future world.

Over in Norway there is a big Viking Ship they love playing on.

Disney has done a great job haveing characters that are from the countries for Meet and Greets. My Daughter loves seeing Mulan and Mushu in China, Alladin, Jasmine, and Geni in Morrocco, Belle and Beast in France, Coda and Keni in Canada, Pooh and friends and Mary Poppins in the UK, and I am sure i am missing some. Other characters are over in future world. Figment is always a favorite. They also LOVE playing in the Imagination Labs, all the sound and stuff to play with. The Seas is also a great place to play now.

Wow, I thought I would have a hard time answering this post but I think I can go on and on. and oddly enough they even love playing in the real cars at the end of Test Track.

There is more but I feel like I have gone on long enough. :crazy:

hardingella
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I agree with most of the other posts, dont try and do both parts of EPCOT in one day, way too much walking involved.
If you are wanting to dine at one of the countries dont wander round from one to the other trying to decide because its a long way round and you have so much choice youll waste valuble time and just get dizzy. Do your research before and try and make your desision as this will save a lot of time and energy.
Take your time visiting each building as they all have very different things to offer all ages.
from previous experience my children found some of the countries to be "BORING" as they said so choose wisely, eg Norway is always good, fun ride.They liked Mexico too.
You have to do EPCOT with a different frame of mind than the others as its not all about queing and riding.

kemps@wdw
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Epcot is our fave park. So much to see, do and eat! But, as others posters say, it is a 2-day adventure. We arrive before opening and have been lucky enough to be chosen "Family of the Day". The perks are great for this! And then cover FW as thoroughly as possible. Then we save WS for another time. Usually late afternoon/evening. We take our time w/a leisurely stroll about WS lagoon, and basically eat and drink our way "around the World". We stop in Canada and try and catch "Off Kilter", and also in UK and listen to "The British Invasion". Be sure to take time to really enjoy each country. Go in ALL their shops and eateries, even if you don't buy anything. And then we finish off w/Illuminations. And not being in a hurry, makes our journey back to our resort a little more bearable.:thumbsup:

Disneyfan1971
11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I completely agree...Epcot is a two day park. Unfortunately the last time I went, we only had a five day pass. Went to MK on day one, can't remember much after that but DO remember splitting Epcot into two days. I've traipsed through Epcot in one day and it's BRUTAL!!! If you have a seven day park hopper pass or more, then definitely split up the trip. Trust me you'll thank me later. :)

badkitty
11-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I like to take advantage of the Friendship boats when exploring the World Showcase. What I did with my family was arrive in the morning for the rope-drop. Experienced Futureworld until about 11am then headed to WS. We started in Mexico and headed clockwise around the lake exporing each country. We started to lose steam near Italy so we hopped on the boat and rode it back over to the other side of the lake near Future World. We then made our way out (stopping first to ride SSE) to rest at our hotel.

Happy planning!

A Big Kid
11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Start in Mexico or Canada and grab a beer in each country as you make your way (or try to make your way) around the World Showcase.

scootch713
11-10-2008, 08:12 AM
just fyi, the Nestle Junior Chef program at The Land pavilion in Epcot ended April 6, 2008.

RAIDER
11-10-2008, 08:51 AM
As soon as Epcot opens ..Run straight to Soarin ..get a fast pass as well and then get onto the ride
cos after that there normally a wait of an hour .:thumbsup:

A must do is test track at night its brilliant :thumbsup:

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Just like the original poster, I also have DD7 and DS5. We just returned, and here are some highlights of what we enjoyed about Epcot:

Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space . . of course.

Spaceship Earth and Mission Space both take you into amazing exploration areas when you finish the rides. Rather than rushing on to the next thing, allow time to play all the interactive games. You may find that you enjoy it more than the ride itself!

Take plenty of time to explore Innoventions . . . there is so much to do there and we've barely scratched the surface.

KidCot Stops- crafts in Future World, Masks in World Showcase. Often conveniently placed in a shopping area so you can roam while they craft.

Candy Maker in Japan . . . .Street Performers in several countries . . . I was surprised at how my kids loved to stop and watch the different street performers!

Kim Possible- isn't this starting up soon? That should make Epcot even more engaging for kids.

Verolovesdisney
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I think of all Disney parks, Epcot is the one that takes a while to grow on you and I guess the reason for that is it's size and the fact that it takes a few visits to realize just how wonderful it really is!

This past March, we threw all regular eating habits out the window and had the kids do a "snack around the world" tour; got started around 11:30 am and let them have whatever snack they wanted at each country. Finished up around 5:30pm. They still talk about that day. And they still talk about mommy and daddy having an "alcool" snack at every country...:blush:

Anyway, one snack that is not to miss is the Kaki Gori shaved ice in Japan. Trust me, it will be 100 times better then any ice cone you've ever had.

Gator
11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
The key is attitude. Epcot is not "ride-it-and-go" park. There are good rides, but each one immerses you in its theme both before and after the actual ride. The point of Epcot is "being" there. There's plenty of entertainment if you like live entertainment. I thought it was pretty boring my first time as well...until I saw Illuminations. Then my whole attitude changed. It's like I understood the whole point of the park when "We Go On" started playing. It's the romance of the park that you have to understand.

Disneyfan1971
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
I posted on here earlier but wanted to add something. The second time I went to Epcot, I stayed at Communicore (now Innoventions) for like two hours and loved it. But you have to "soak" in the rides---this isn't like Magic Kingdom. Epcot is an entirely different park in its own right. The first time I went in 1983, well I was bored. Went three years later and loved it. Now it's my second favorite other than MK of course.

Auroring Good Time
11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
My son is 8 and a very active little boy. His favorite park is Epcot. He of course loves TT and MS but he also enjoys World Showcase. He likes the rides in Mexico and Norway but he also likes watching the street performers and hitting the Kidcot stops. For me, we call it eating and drinking your way around the world. Great snacks and beverages. The key thing like everyone else has said is to take your time and enjoy it.

MickeysEars
11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
just fyi, the Nestle Junior Chef program at The Land pavilion in Epcot ended April 6, 2008.

bummer, that was a big hit

Cinderelley
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM

I didn't know you can get on the ship. I thought it was just for show. I know what my next picture at Epcot will be. :D

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
I didn't know you can get on the ship. I thought it was just for show. I know what my next picture at Epcot will be. :D

We tried to explore it in October, and it appears that they no longer let you get on it. It seems to be rotting!

Davyjones
11-12-2008, 08:33 PM
My wife and I enjoy all the science aspects of the park. I LOVE The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and she really likes The Land. We do EPCOT in one day, but are normally dead tired when we get back to the hotel! You should take your time and explore the park. It definitely is not a "Ride and Go" kind of park, as stated by previous posters. And it's got wonderful food!

Hope you have a great time! :mickey:

5togetherWDW
11-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Since they were toddlers, Epcot has been my sons' favorite park. There are many things that they adore - but, it is hard to name them all -- partially because Epcot is always changing.

For example --

Also in Innovations West (?--To the left) you can have your kids make their own paper from pulp, then they can color on it. In the same pavillion they get to make a plastic robot and bring it home. Thats right, a free Disney souviner.

. . .

:crazy:

Last year, my sons' loved those aspects of Innoventions. This year, they had closed the Amazing Plastics robots exhibit. While they were a bit dissapointed, it was not the first time they found an exhibit gone. Innoventions is always changing. A year or so back, my boys were dissapointed by the closure of the Toontown area in Innoventions. Toontown Tag had been great. . .. The boys had loved the Total Treevia game, too. While this summer they still did have a small paper-making area -- the majority of that exhibit had been replaced by the new Storm Struck (we had split opinions on that one -- it is a little intense.)
Still, this summer, in Innoventions -- my sons were happy to explore the new Waste Management area. (Driving a shopping cart sized garbage truck from video game to video game is surprisingly fun for adults, too.) They also have added an area on the other side of Innoventions which gives you free velcro toys (flat frogs and outfits to dress them.) While the toys aren't as appealing to older boys (as the robots were) -- the Velcro Slapstick show that lead up to the free thing was great. Well worth the time! We - again - spent hours in Innoventions.
You have to prepare your children (and yourselves) to go into Innoventions, in fact - into all of Epcot, looking to explore. Don't go in with an expectation of a certain exhibit -- go ready to try it all.

That openness to exploration is what makes Epcot work for us.

Yes, there use to be a full playground in the Norway ship. We have many pictures climbing the ropes and playing on the see-saws. While that is closed -- there have been other good things added. For example, you now have a great 360 show in Canada. My children have been quoting the new movie ever since they saw it, this summer. (We never made it through a whole showing of the old one with the boys -- exit doors on the far side and do push out :) )

When you enter Epcot, you need to slow your pace and explore. Let your children lead you to exhibits. Laugh along at Turtle Talk with Crush. Dance to the music. While it is a change in mindset, it is here that we always find something new.

nandyf
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
I didn't know you can get on the ship. I thought it was just for show. I know what my next picture at Epcot will be.

We tried to explore it in October, and it appears that they no longer let you get on it. It seems to be rotting!

My boys loved this ship and fought many a battle on it with imaginary pirates (sorry vikings). We were there in May and the ship was completely closed off. We walked circles around it trying to figure out where they moved the entrance. It didn't look like they were planning on reopening the ship.