PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha or HDDR?

jonsmom
11-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen an recent reviews on Spirit of Aloha. I know there were many negative reviews in the past.

We will have an extra TS meal for our upcoming trip & I am trying to decide between HDDR or Spirit of Aloha.

Thanks.

jonsmom

DizneyRox
11-08-2008, 10:29 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I wouldn't go on someone elses dime, never mind waste my own hard earned money. Go to the HDDR. I will say, some people hate the HDD and love SoA. But, playing the odds, more people will give HDD a thumbs up than SoA hands down!

Most will say the fire twirler is the highlight, you can see the same show over at Festival of the Lion King. I wouldn't doubt it's the same guy.

henry.james.s
11-08-2008, 10:30 AM
If I was choosing I'd go HDDR..it's a slam dunk.
The Luau has been hit & miss FWIW.
Also keep in mind If using the DDP or Deluxe DDP it takes 2 TS credits for these shows.

mainemajor
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Between the two I would choose HDDR everytime. Seen SoA twice and no need to see it again. It's just not as enjoyable plus it is outside and dependent on the weather. Might get canceled for bad weather or just not be as enjoyable during cool evening.
as for the shows themselves HDDR is lively, jumping non stop action and fun - the same can not be said for SoA.

scootch713
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I too was trying to decide between the two and everytime I would ask or look, HDD was always the clear favorite. We have not done either, but will be doing HDD next week! Hope we made the right choice.

kemps@wdw
11-09-2008, 10:29 PM
WE have been to both. And I will say, w/o a doubt, the HDDR ROCKS!! We have been to the Hoop-Dee-Doo EVERY trip we've made to the World since 1980. Were even lucky enough to get DH in the show a couple of years ago, and DN in the show on our last trip! Great food and LOTS of it, and a funny, and somewhat corny, live show w/audience participation actively encouraged! Since the "Pioneer Hall Players" frequently mingle w/the diners, every table is a good one. We will not miss it on our future WDW journeys! :thumbsup:

pox24
11-10-2008, 01:54 PM
HDDR...:thumbsup:

jonsmom
11-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I am assuming it would be best to do HDDR on a day that we are visiting MK.

Is it closer to any of the other theme parks?

DizneyRox
11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Personally, I would do HDD on a non park day. It eats up a lot of time, transportation and then the show, so while MK for me is a 1/2 day park most of the time, we still plan it around a slower day.

transportation is fairly easy, take a bus/boat to MK and then a boat over to FW. If you are at a park, take a bus to the contemporary and then a boat over to FW.

I'd allow an hour to get there from wherever you are. The late late show is a bit too late for that big of a meal if you ask me. The 5:30 or 7:30 shows seem to work out best, EXCEPT you miss a nighttime show at the parks usually.

jonsmom
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
DizneyRox

We are taking advantage of the January to June promo and will end up with 8 days worth of tickets but we are physically there only 7 days. My son is 11 so I was thinking of maybe staying at MK for just a few hours & heading over to HDDR. Maybe the 7:30 show would be a good one.

Do you know how long the show is?

Thanks

Mackflava99
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
We actually went to both this past year so i can give a perspective-
I have 2 girls age 9 (twins)

HDD - food was good, show was also amusing- to the kids they got a little bored,,,i dont know why but they did. Service was excellent, we had a great server.

SoA - Food was also good, i really liked the pineapple bread.. Show was OK, yes the fire show was terrific. Kids like it better because they got to go up front and participate.

Overall, my wife and i like HDD better, the kids liked SOA.

Now just to understand we got a tremendous table for SoA ( front middle) so noone was in our way, and the table at HDD was fair.

I also agree with the person who said HDD is better because you dont have to worry about the weather.,SoA could be cancelled if it rained.

Hey, both are a good time, so whatever works for you- you cant go wrong

DizneyRox
11-10-2008, 07:57 PM
DizneyRox

We are taking advantage of the January to June promo and will end up with 8 days worth of tickets but we are physically there only 7 days. My son is 11 so I was thinking of maybe staying at MK for just a few hours & heading over to HDDR. Maybe the 7:30 show would be a good one.

Do you know how long the show is?

Thanks
The show is about 1 1/2 hours once all is said and done, maybe a little shorter. PLan on being there about 7:00 to 7:15 and not being anyplace until about 10:00pm due to transportation, etc.

I prefer the 7:30pm show over the 5:30, the 5:30 ends up killing a whole bunch of the day.

jonsmom
11-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Thank you!