PDA

View Full Version : Best places to watch illuminations and block party bash

dismommy
11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
We leave in 2 days and I'm trying to nail down the last of the details.
What are the best viewing spots for illuminations(have never seen and am really looking forward to) and block party bash (I know the parade stops several times for a dance party and if you are not in the right place you miss out) so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!:mickey3::minnie:

Strmchsr
11-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Illuminations doesn't really matter. Just anywhere around the lake is fine.

Block Party Bash (though definitely not my favorite) can be seen pretty easily from several locations. I stopped at the corner of Hollywood and Sunset and they stopped right in front of me.

mcjaco
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Doesn't really matter as long as you're upwind.

Polynesian Dweller
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
For Illuminations, the most important thing is to check wind direction and make sure you are upwind or to the side. There is a lot of smoke at times. Good spots for us are near Canada and near Norway.

Not a fan of Block Party but they do stop near the hat and there's plenty of standing space there.

joanna71985
11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
For BPB- do you want to see a specific unit? There are 3 units in the parade (Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Bug's Life). The parade makes 2 stops:
First Stop
Toy Story- In front of Hat (right side, facing the Hat)
Monsters- just past the water fountain/tip board
Bug's Life- right before the round kiosk shop in the front of the park

Second Stop
Toy Story- right before Sounds Dangerous
Monsters Inc- In front of the theater with the steps (I believe the new American Idol show is going there)
Bug's Life- In front of the Hat (left side)

If you are watching the parade on the side of the park beyond Sounds Dangerous, you won't see the show stops, and just see the floats moving.

CaptSmee
11-06-2008, 10:54 PM
You can watch Illuminations from pretty much anywhere. I liked it from Canada and Mexico the best, but that's jut me.

As for Block Party Bash, seeing it once was enough for me...I miss the Stars & Motor Cars Parade, it was so much better!

Tbelle1976
11-07-2008, 06:15 AM
For Illuminations we also normally sit in Mexico. We try to time it to get there early and grab a table at Cantina. We just use that time to talk about the day and what we might do the rest of our vacation also.

tigger24601
11-07-2008, 03:31 PM
never done the block party but we always find an awesome spot just past mexico, going toward america. everytime we go that's our spot. there's really nothing there just trees so nobody is there. we find a spot along the fence and get comfortable. sometimes one of us will walk down and get funnels cakes or some other kind of snack to enjoy while we watch.

8 days and counting till our trip.

kemps@wdw
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
If you're planning dinner @ Epcot, try for Rose & Crown. The patio is a wonderful spot for Illuminations viewing as is Mexico @ the cantina. Otherwise anywhere along the lagoon is good viewing as long as you can get next to the railing to see the activity on the water. One place we found that kinda stands above the crowd is the "front porch" @ the store in Japan. With Spacechip Earth in the background. It truly is stunning!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-10-2008, 08:57 AM
For Illuminations, I love being in either Japan - to the left of the Kaki-Gori stand; or near Mexico or China. Those in my opinion are the best places.

I disagree about Block Party being not as good as DSMC. I think it's much more high-energy and very hard to not sing and dance along with. Plus, I like the floats much more than the cars. Joanna already pointed out the show stops, so those would be your best places.

joanna71985
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I love BPB. It's so energetic and upbeat. Plus I love the music.

But I also enjoyed DSMC. It was a nice parade.

lightyearfan
11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
for illuminations my personal opionion would be to stand in the front of the Italian pavillion they have these steps and sort of little bridge which is ideal, there is absoutely nothing obscuring your view and it's almost dead center, for block party bash me and dw prefer the steps where the abc theater is, as you can sit comfortably and be in the shade. hope this helps, enjoy your trip 1 more month for me and dw.

Victor

Roland
11-12-2008, 01:15 AM
My favorite spot for Illuminations is right in front of Italy near the water OR right in front of the gift shop to the right of Italy. From that vantage point, you can pretty much see everything but if a spot is available at the fence, grab that.

In all honesty, about 80% of the area around the lake is quite nice. Some spots have the island trees in the way and block the water show.

mainemajor
11-23-2008, 05:39 PM
We like the bridge between France and UK there seems to often be a breeze there making it comfortable on hot evenings.