PDA

View Full Version : Club Libby Lu to Close

Melanie
11-05-2008, 05:38 PM
From OC Register

Downtown Disney store to close

November 5, 2008

Saks Inc. announced Wednesday that it will discontinue its Club Libby Lu business.

There are currently 78 Club Libby Lu stand-alone stores averaging 1,100 square feet at malls nationwide, including its only O.C. shop at Downtown Disney that opened in 2004, according to its Web site. The chain employs about 1,700 employees, who will be offered severance packages.

The upscale department store chain expects to complete the store closures of Club Libby Lu by May 2.

Steve Sadove, CEO of Saks Inc., said: “Discontinuing the operations of Club Libby Lu is the appropriate decision so that we can focus 100 percent of our time and resources on executing the strategies of our core Saks Fifth Avenue business.”

In 2003, Saks bought Club Libby Lu’s 11 stores primarily as a growth vehicle. For the fiscal year ended Feb. 2, Club Libby Lu generated revenues of about $60 million.

The 8-year-old Club Libby Lu chain caters to girls ages 4 to 12. At the experience-driven stores, girls can dress up as princesses or rock stars; mix spa products like “Soapy Sundae” body scrub, lip gloss and “Kool Karma” body spray; and get their ears pierced, according to the retailer’s Web site.

Marla
11-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up Melanears. I am over fifty and have always wanted to do this.:blush: I keep waiting to have a little girl with me so I have an excuse. I have other friends that do not meet the 4 to 12 age group that Saks is targeting that would like to do this as well. Guess we better hurry before it's gone.:tink:

NotaGeek
11-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Buh, bye Libby Lu... that would be an AWESOME spot for a Starbucks!

Aisling
11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Bummer! Where am I going to get my glitter fix? I love that store (and I'm not in the target age group either).

Perhaps a good spot for a starbucks, but an even better spot for a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf!

tdhiatt
11-20-2008, 09:44 PM
They said they will close early 09. I am 31 years old and had my hair done up like a princess, and yes I got a tiara. It was the best day ever I had so much fun. They were wonderful.