PDA

View Full Version : It's a Small World Discussion

mcordner
03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Okay, I am not sure how valid this is, but a blog about the mistakes of Imagineers posted Tuesday that IASW in DLR is going under a major rehab - that includes ripping out the rainforest sequence and replacing it with an I Love the USA montage, along with inserting Disney characters in their countries of origin.

Again I am not certain of the validity of it. But the blog does show an image of the new sequence that appears to be authentic.

Anyone heard anything?

Jacky B
03-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I believe it to be true, there is an article at Reimagineering that talks about all the changes planned for IASW

MegaDisney
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Some of the pictures floating around are concepts for the Hong Kong Version.

We did get a carbon copy of Hong Kong's Space Mountain so maybe they are replicating the HK IASW during the rehab at DLR??

BrerGnat
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
That would be sad. I love the rainforest scene. It's my favorite one! The animals are all so cool and my kids love it.

It would be extremely tacky to replace that classic scene with some patriotic garbage. I mean, I'm all about America, but this ride is called it's a small WORLD! Not, it's a small country. There is no need to "Americanize" this ride like we are trying to do to the rest of the world...

mcordner
03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Disney originally intended to keep USA out of the countries for the World's Fair. WED felt it vital to focus on the world outside the US.

John
03-05-2008, 11:04 PM
This is one of those rare cases where I think a link to an outside site is ok.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

It's a good blog - and it doesn't compete with us or have advertising - so if you are inclined.... read on. ;)

tinkwest
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I am not really against a USA segment, as long as it represents the children of the country and isn't any grander than the rest of the countries represented throughout the attraction and isn't just one big "hurray for us" type of display and blends with the other areas of the attraction. BUT, I would hate to see the rainforest or any other area removed to accomplish the addition.

As far as adding Disney characters to the attraction. . . . :noway: :nope: :nono: :down: Tacky.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm all for change. If it is exactly the same decade after decade...what is fun about that? :thedolls: How about updating the song while we are it.

EmmMOM2
03-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Disney Ruining the World?

Posted Mar 20th 2008 2:54PM by TMZ Staff

It's a Small WorldNo, not our world, the Small one. According to the LA Times, the family of the woman who helped create "It's a Small World" are begging Disney not to screw up the iconic ride with "idiotic" changes.

The ride has been closed since January to upgrade the its boats - which some think was needed in order to accommodate the ever increasing weight of the general population. But now other changes are being tossed around.

Miceage.com is reporting that Disney Imagineers are considering adding Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Peter Pan, Nemo and other Disney characters to locations throughout the ride while replacing the Papua, New Guinea, rain forest scene with an American tribute.

In an open letter to Disney execs, the family writes, "The Disney characters of themselves are positive company icons, but they do NOT fit in with the original theme of the ride. They will do nothing except to marginalize the rightful stars of the ride 'The Children of the World.'"

Disney officials say some additions will be made to Small World but that no decision has been made on specific creative changes to the ride despite the speculation.

What does everyone think??

Jasper
03-20-2008, 04:51 PM
It would be interesting to hear directly from the family members who supposedly sent this letter. I am always skeptical of such stories when they don't directly quote the person or persons supposedly involved.

5Megadisfans
03-20-2008, 05:01 PM
When will Small World re-open?; the WDW web site lists no closures for March and only has innies Coutry House closed for April 1-23.
We are going April 5-12 and hope Small World is open.

lindique
03-20-2008, 06:33 PM
The "it's a small world" that is closed is the one in California, not Florida, so don't worry about your upcoming trip!:mickey:

I seem to remember a larger American scene in the small world in Disneyland Paris. I believe it's a wild west scene of some sort. Does anyone remember better than me?

LudwigVonDrake
03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope they don't change anything in the ride. It's a classic the way it is.

disney1026
03-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I also really hope that they don't make these rumored changes. Like everyone else here, I love Disney and Disney characters. However, IASW is NOT about those characters and should not be. This is not how Walt envisioned that ride!

pink
03-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I was reading on TMZ that in Disneyland (not sure if it's in the world too) they're changing It's a Small World to include different Disney characters. They said that they are going to add in Aboo, Nemo and Stitch so far. I don't know if I can post the link but if you go to TMZ it should be on either 2nd or 3rd page.

:mickey:

mjstaceyuofm
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
IASW is being refurbished in DL right now ( or in the near future). There's a big issue with the boats (vintage from the 50s or 60s) - they're too small and the channel too shallow. When a heavy load gets onto the boats they sink enough to touch the floor of the channel and stop moving.... Bad. It would be very much like Disney to add these new characters to the ride. Thank goodness that it was recently redone at WDW. Although I wouldn't put it past WDI to shut it down for a few days and add these characters to WDW's version of IASW.

goofy for pluto
03-21-2008, 09:29 PM
This is a very bad idea.
Why can't they just leave the classic rides the way they were meant to be! :(

WDWizard
03-22-2008, 01:37 AM
This is one of those rare cases where I think a link to an outside site is ok.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

It's a good blog - and it doesn't compete with us or have advertising - so if you are inclined.... read on. ;)
*gasp* a link from an outside site on Intercot. I never thought I'd live to see the day! :laughing:

As far as the addition for Disney characters goes, Hong Kong Disneyland park is doing a similar thing in their new ISAW by introducing Disney characters since they are not as popular and well known as they are here. If you look at this picture (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/vmk_wdwizard/isawhk.jpg), you can clearly see that the additions are done in the Mary Blair style that the current ISAW dolls have and would not look bad or tacky at all.

Aisling
03-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been thinking about this thread for a long time and I think I would like the changes. For one, putting Mickey and some friends in appropriate places (like Lilo in the pic above, in Hawaii or Nemo in the sea) makes sense and it's a little like finding a hidden Mickey, but in this case, a hidden character. That alone might attract more riders who can enjoy the ride. Also, the ride is a little outdated and sprucing it up with some pizzaz sounds like a good idea to me. And finally, making a tribute to America in the ride, keeping it about children, sounds cute. After all, America is a part of the world, too.

All the rides at one time or another get a little work done on them, why do we have to keep things 'original'? I think Walt was all about innovation, moving forward, keeping things fresh, so I think he would approve of the changes.

I think I'll just sit back and see what the imaginears come up with, they've been doing their job fairly well so far. Then again, I love CA just as it is!:blush:;)

Mrs Bus Driver
03-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I've been thinking about this thread for a long time and I think I would like the changes. For one, putting Mickey and some friends in appropriate places (like Lilo in the pic above, in Hawaii or Nemo in the sea) makes sense and it's a little like finding a hidden Mickey, but in this case, a hidden character. That alone might attract more riders who can enjoy the ride. Also, the ride is a little outdated and sprucing it up with some pizzaz sounds like a good idea to me. And finally, making a tribute to America in the ride, keeping it about children, sounds cute. After all, America is a part of the world, too.

All the rides at one time or another get a little work done on them, why do we have to keep things 'original'? I think Walt was all about innovation, moving forward, keeping things fresh, so I think he would approve of the changes.

I think I'll just sit back and see what the imaginears come up with, they've been doing their job fairly well so far. Then again, I love CA just as it is!
:ditto: I've been thinking the same thing myself. Having been to DL many times over the last few years, (I was born in 57 and started going in 58) I can remember IASW when it first opened. As a kid I loved it and as an adult I still like it. That said I have thought for years the ride has needed a little work. Many of the dolls no longer sing and are looking a little worse for wear. When I heard about them digging the canal I was hoping that they would give this ride what it needed a little love and care. After seeing what has been done with PoC and HH all I can say is it's time to work on IASW. IMHO the new additions at Poc and HH were well done and gave the rides a fresh new look while maintaining much of the original and what we like about them. I willing to give this a chance, I would love to see this ride looking good again.:soapbox: (getting down off my soapbox now):thanks:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
You would think it this was going to happen at WDW, they would have done it when the did the refurb.
Although I can't imagine that it would take a long time to do, they could just change out some of the existing dolls and put the new ones in their places.

Figment!
03-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Disneyland to add 'Alice' to Small World ride

By Brady MacDonald | Staff Writer
Los Angeles Times
March 25, 2008

Disneyland plans to incorporate stylized Disney characters into It's a Small World in keeping with attraction creator Mary Blair's original designs and color palette, Walt Disney Imagineering officials confirmed.

An "Alice in Wonderland" doll wearing a blue dress and a white rabbit in a playing card tunic based on illustrations created by Blair while working on the 1951 animated movie will be added to the England segment of the classic boat ride, officials said. The Alice and rabbit characters will be added near a chessboard and red rose tree already existing in the Small World attraction.

Officials confirmed that Alice is one of several Disney characters that will be added to Disneyland's Small World in a controversial plan that has infuriated some purists. Officials have insisted that Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will not appear in the Anaheim attraction.

The major rehab, which has been in the works for eight years, will "respect and honor the original creative intent" of Blair's iconic work while adding "new richness, excitement and relevance," according to an Imagineering official. The renovated ride will not be a "carbon copy" of the new Small World attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland, officials said.

Mickey91
03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
It's ashame the almighty dollar has to get in the way of preserving the integrity of the classic rides!:(

Crystal Palace
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh, that sounds horrible! I love the rainforest scene! :(

Good thing I'm a WDW girl now.

christna03
04-02-2008, 10:43 AM

I think I'll just sit back and see what the imaginears come up with, they've been doing their job fairly well so far. Then again, I love CA just as it is!:blush:;)

I agree! I think some change to IASW would be good. :mickey: However, I do think that some types of characters shouldn't be put into the ride. Such as Nemo.

brownie
04-03-2008, 02:57 PM
It doesn't bother me that they plan on swapping out scenes, but I don't like the idea of adding any of the Disney family of characters. I sent letters to Robert Iger, Imagineering, and Disneyland Resort. Here's the response I received back from Disneyland:

Thank you for your letter to Ed Grier, which has been routed to our office for reply, regarding "it's a small world" at the Disneyland® Resort.
As you know, "it's a small world" was created under the creative supervision of Walt Disney for the 1964 New York World's Fair. During its time at Disneyland® Park, "it's a small world" turned into an icon of the park, becoming an attraction loved by all ages.
During this scheduled refurbishment, we carry on Walt's tradition of continuously updating attractions and adding new elements and surprises to keep the Disneyland experience new, fresh and exciting. With "it's a small world," it gives us the opportunity to enrich the storytelling and take artist Mary Blair's creative approach to a new level. Because it holds such a special place in the hearts of our Guests, the original intent of "it's a small world," the celebration of children and the youthful spirit everywhere, will be retained and strengthened with the incorporation of a number of characters that children of today and yesterday hold dear. These new figures will be stylized Disney characters, patterned after the original look, feel and spirit of Mary's designs.
Walt Disney Imagineering takes pride in the heritage and tradition of the Disney theme parks, especially Disneyland® Park, Walt's original park. We hope you will agree that our Disney Imagineers have an outstanding track record with creating exciting attractions that appeal to visitors of all ages.
Walt Disney stated, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world." It is always our objective to provide a quality "show" for our Guests, and in that spirit, we will continue to make enhancements to Disneyland® and Disney's California Adventure® Park, all with the intent of keeping the Disney experience new, fresh and exciting. Thank you for taking the time to contact us and we hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland® Resort.

MegaDisney
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Letter from Marty Sklar originally posted on Laughingplace.com:

"A Magic Kingdom of All the World's Children"

(April 4, 2008) A local newspaper reporter got it right when she wrote that, after we updated Pirates of the Caribbean last year, “many fans grudgingly acknowledged that… the additions may make the ride more appealing to young park goers." Now, based purely on rumors that are mostly inaccurate, we are being criticized for touching another one of Walt Disney’s “classics.”

We all agree that “It’s A Small World” is a Disney classic. But the greatest “change agent” who ever walked down Main Street at Disneyland was Walt himself. In fact, the park had not been open 24 hours when Walt began to “plus” Disneyland, and he never stopped. Having started my Disney career at Disneyland one month before the park opened in 1955, I can cite countless examples.

Like all my colleagues at Walt Disney Imagineering, I was pressed into action to help make “It’s A Small World” happen at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair. We were all working to complete and open Ford’s “Magic Skyway” and General Electric’s “Carousel of Progress” (I worked on both) as well as “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” for the State of Illinois. But 11 months before the World’s Fair opening, Walt agreed to do “a salute to the children of the world” for UNICEF, and all the Imagineers somehow made it happen.

Mary Blair’s illustrations were, of course, the spark. But this was one of those great Disney “team efforts,” and many Disney legends joined her: Marc Davis; Blaine Gibson; Rolly Crump, Harriet Burns and numerous others. And, of course, Bob and Dick Sherman added that song we can’t get out of our heads. I interfaced with all of them to write and produce a 24-page souvenir book that was sold at the Fair, because Walt wanted to showcase and thank the team for an extraordinary accomplishment.

Now the rumors are swirling that we are “ruining Walt’s creation.” I’ve heard that we are planning to remove the rainforest, add Mickey and Minnie Mouse, create an “Up with America” tribute, to effectively “marginalize” the Mary Blair style and Walt’s classic (all not true).

In fact, just the opposite is true. We want the message of brotherhood and good will among all children around the world to resonate with more people than ever before, especially today’s young people. Our objective is to have everyone who experiences “It’s a Small World” understand (in the words the Shermans’ wrote 44 years ago) that “there is just one moon, and one golden sun, and a smile means friendship to everyone.”

To make “It’s A Small World” even more relevant to our guests, Tony Baxter (who created the concepts for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain and other Disneyland classics) and I arrived at the same place eight years ago. To accomplish our objective, we decided to seamlessly integrate Disney characters into appropriate thematic scenes in the attraction, and do it completely in the distinctive “Mary Blair style.” We spent many long months exploring ways to accomplish this.

We are not turning this classic attraction into a marketing pitch for Disney plush toys (rumors to the contrary). Between Tony, our chief designer Kim Irvine, and me, we represent 128 years creating Disney park entertainment and fun for literally billions of guests around the world. We are not “young marketing whizzes” trying to make a name for ourselves. We were fortunate to have trained, and worked with, all of Walt’s original Imagineers.

In the Shermans’ song, it’s the oceans that are wide, and the mountains that divide. Our goal was, and always will be, to bring people together, and keep this classic “the happiest cruise that ever sailed around the world” (words I personally wrote for that souvenir guide nearly half a century ago).

Or, as Walt Disney phrased it in his introduction to that guide, “a magic kingdom of all the world’s children.”

Martin A. Sklar
Executive Vice President
Walt Disney Imagineering

WDWizard
04-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I agreed with everything he said... I couldnt have said it better myself.

I think that us Disneyland fans have been over reacting a bit with all the exaggerated claims that were being made that the rainforest would be removed and mickey and minnie would be added. Adding a few Mary Blair style Disney characters here and there isn't going to be really bad at all. Just like he said, at the end of the day these changes will be for the better - likely to be positively embraced by the general public just as it happened with the POTC movie tie-ins when everyone was complaining on how much it was going to ruin the original, "Its not what Walt would have wanted," etc... blah blah blah. In the end, (most of) the Disney fan community realized that these additions that they said would ruin the attraction really enhanced it for the better. I'm sensing we're going to get the same outcome out of the ISAW additions.
:thumbsup:

tinkwest
04-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Letter from Marty Sklar .....

Thanks for that post Bryant!

Melanie
04-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for posting that, Bryant. I think the rehab sounds very promising listening to Mr. Skylar's words. And I didn't know he coined the phrase “the happiest cruise that ever sailed around the world”. Love learning new Disney facts! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
That was a very encouraging letter to read. It's good to know the IASW rehab is in such competent hands.:thumbsup:

battle beast
04-10-2008, 12:38 PM
They are going to RUIN IASM. :(

boosted98mitsu
05-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I saw a video on Youtube of the new IASW ride in Hong Kong and they have Ariel and Stitch in theirs. I don't mind the classics being put it in, i just don't want to see Mulan in the middle of the ride.

*goofy'sgirls*
05-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Ok. Here's my opinion which I posted on another thread. I saw pics of IASW in Hong Kong and it actually looks good. They had an American scene with Woody, Bullseye, and Jessie. It includes 34 characters. I think the ride is great as it is but the changes aren't horrible. Change is good.

Briar-Rose
05-22-2008, 02:20 AM
I think that it's kinda cool that they are going to add in characters, as long as they don't turn it into a ride containing almost only disney characters. A few character isn't too bad :mickey: I do, however, think that they should not add in an America section for the ones in America. It will reck the big idea of unity if we have a huge section about America, plus, I like the rainforest scene, it's one of my favorites! :cry: It would be okay for a small section on America, as long as it is one of the smallest sections on countries, yes we should have pride in our country, but that is not what the ride is about!!!

ChipnDaleGal
05-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I try not to be that resistant to change, so that doesn't really bother me. But I have to say that I find that rendering of Alice to be exceptionally creepy. She looks like she could star in the next Grudge movie, and that isn't a good thing. :eek:

Briar-Rose
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Are they still doing an American scene? I hope not. I don't want them to take out the Tropical Scene to put in a huge thing about the US, the ride is to show world unity, not how "great" the US is. I'm fine with them putting in different characters, actually, it's kinda a cool idea.

Tinkerbellaella
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
My family will be at DLR late November. In time to have all the holiday decorations up :clappy: but we will miss the reopening of It's A Small World :sob:
Does anyone know if all the tarping will be off and decorated? I sure hope so:fingers: It is so beautiful I will surely miss it if not.

BrerGnat
10-22-2008, 09:55 PM
That's a good question. Right now, there isn't any tarping on the facade. There is just a wall in front. I was there on Sunday, and we rode the train, and there was water in the canal for the first time in almost a year!!! :thumbsup: I can't believe I'm actually excited about the Nov. 29 reopening. It's for my kids, I swear. ;)

Anyway, I imagine it would be lit up before the grand opening of Nov. 29. The facade is not really related to the RIDE operation, so there is no reason why the lights couldn't be on, except that might make people think the ride itself is open, so who knows?

tinkwest
10-23-2008, 12:28 AM
FYI, it's a small world is currently scheduled to reopen on November 21st.

BrerGnat
10-23-2008, 02:34 PM
You are correct Linda! Our train conductor the other day said Nov. 29...guess he was wrong!

Tinkerbellaella
10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Say it is TRUE!! November 21st??? We will be there!! I love this ride for the nostalgic value, but add the special holiday decorating to it and it is over the top. BEAUTIFUL!!!! It was listed to reopen November 29th.

Blue Genie
10-23-2008, 09:42 PM
They had change the day not to long ago so the train person may not know it yet. But like tinkwest said it has been move to Nov. 21st

mousecraz
11-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Will be there the weekend of 11/21, is the scheduled opening of Its a Small World still on for the 21st?

NotaGeek
11-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Will be there the weekend of 11/21, is the scheduled opening of Its a Small World still on for the 21st?
Yes. I have merged this with a previous thread asking the same question ... you can always check the Sticky Thread for Refurbishments or the Official Disney Calendar on Disney.com as well.

Have fun.

Belle619
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Well everyone...how was it!?!?!? :mickey:

TwinPrincesses
11-25-2008, 06:32 PM
We were just there! from the 17th through the 21st.
It's a small world was actually already open on the 20th--we rode it with only a few minutes to wait. It may have been open even earlier, I didn't check. Later when it got dark the lines were very, very long, especially on Friday. We rode it again Friday night at 11.40pm, right before going home. It was great, but didn't look all that different from how I remembered it. The boats are completely new though and it all looked very clean.

NotaGeek
01-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I just found this in the Annual Passholder section of the Disneyland web page:

Preview the Enhanced "it's a small world"!

Join us for a special preview of the newly enhanced "it's a small world" before the official reopening! Dubbed "the happiest cruise that ever sailed the world" at the New York World's Fair 45 years ago, "it's a small world" takes you on a joyful boat ride as memorable as the delightful song that serenades you on your journey.
This classic attraction has been renovated, adding new places as well as familiar faces. Be sure to look for some of the "it's a small world" dolls dressed up as some of your favorite Disney characters in the countries where those stories take place!
Annual Passholder special preview:

Thursday, February 5, 2009
10:00am - 8:00pm

Just show your Annual Pass to the Cast Member at the attraction entrance to be permitted entry during this special time.
The attraction opens to the public on Friday, February 6, 2009.
Previews are on a first-come, first-serve basis and may involve long wait times. Each Guest must show a valid Annual Passport to be permitted entry during this specific preview time. Valid Theme Park admission is required. Event subject to change without notice.

LibertyTreeGal
01-13-2009, 08:07 AM
OOh I didn't know that they were refurbing it -- awesome i can't wait until March!!!!

Ian
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Dude, this is so great! I was just saying to DW last night that it was a bummer IASW would be closed when we're in DL.

Now we'll actually get to see it!

DS would be so disappointed if we couldn't ride "da cwock wide"!

BrerGnat
01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh, that's perfect! I can actually go! :D I always miss these AP previews. I can swing by with younger DS after we drop off his older brother at preschool. I'm going to mark my calendar, so thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

We missed IASW over the holidays, which I was really bummed about, but there was NO WAY we were waiting in a 2 hour line...no matter how cool the holiday overlay is.

NotaGeek
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh, that's perfect! I can actually go! :D I always miss these AP previews. I can swing by with younger DS after we drop off his older brother at preschool. I'm going to mark my calendar, so thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

We missed IASW over the holidays, which I was really bummed about, but there was NO WAY we were waiting in a 2 hour line...no matter how cool the holiday overlay is.
The overlay with it's new paint and lighting and sound was AMAZING ... it's like they injected tecno-color in the ride! The new boats were a bit lame, but the ride did seem to, uh, not bottom out and was smooth sailing!

Ian
01-13-2009, 01:31 PM
This update is including the addition of the characters, right?

BrerGnat
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
This update is including the addition of the characters, right?

That was the rumor...well, actually the rumor was that they would remove the Rain Forest room and replace it. It was uncertain what the content of that new room would be.

Can anyone give some insight?

Michael, care to comment?

NotaGeek
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
That was the rumor...well, actually the rumor was that they would remove the Rain Forest room and replace it. It was uncertain what the content of that new room would be.

Can anyone give some insight?

Michael, care to comment?
I only saw the Holiday version and there was so much going on with the decor I didn't notice any new dolls (and the rain forest was still there, no USA dedication part in the holiday overlay) ... I am anxious to see how many of the rumors were real once it re-opens with regular IASM going. Maybe one of our insiders will come along with some info... hint hint... :spy:

Melanie
01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I hope the character insertion is done as well as Hong Kong. I absolutely loved it! Breathed some fresh air into a classic attraction in a very tasteful way.

I'm confused though. The characters were NOT there for the DL holiday version? Seems like a lot of work to do in just a month or so, or maybe it's not going to be as extensive as the HK version???

Mufasa
01-17-2009, 12:18 AM
During the Small World Holiday transformation the much discussed Rainforest/Papua New Guinea room was always covered up with curtains as a transition area before the finale (various holiday greetings would be put up in this room).

For this year's holiday edition, a new scene was put in the south pacific room which added elements from the rainforest scene.

So visitors who have been used to the small world holiday version in previous seasons would probably not notice any major additions because the rainforest room has always been covered up and the major new additions will be revealed soon.

As for what to expect with the character additions to the ride, perhaps the upcoming pin release at Disneyland might offer some insight into what you could expect:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=42163

NotaGeek
01-17-2009, 01:07 AM
During the Small World Holiday transformation the much discussed Rainforest/Papua New Guinea room was always covered up with curtains as a transition area before the finale (various holiday greetings would be put up in this room).

For this year's holiday edition, a new scene was put in the south pacific room which added elements from the rainforest scene.

So visitors who have been used to the small world holiday version in previous seasons would probably not notice any major additions because the rainforest room has always been covered up and the major new additions will be revealed soon.

As for what to expect with the character additions to the ride, perhaps the upcoming pin release at Disneyland might offer some insight into what you could expect:

Thanks Mufasa!

DlandMommy
01-17-2009, 01:39 AM
We'll be there on the 5:thumbsup:

Melanie
01-17-2009, 06:59 AM

Yep, everything looks familiar from HK, except for maybe Cinderella????

Mufasa
01-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Yep, everything looks familiar from HK, except for maybe Cinderella????

Hong Kong Disneyland's IASW features a total of 38 characters found in the attraction.

Europe Scene
Pinocchio

Cinderella and Prince Charming. In HKDL, Cinderella appears with the Prince in their ball attire.

Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinker Bell

Marie from the Aristocats

Asia
Mulan and Mushu (in the form of a kite)

Baloo and Mowgli

Middle East
Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie, Abu and the Magic Carpet (which is considered a character in the total count)

Americas
Woody, Jessie and Bullseye

Pocahontas, Meeko and Flit

Donald Duck, Panchito, Jose Carioca

Africa
Simba, Mufasa (a stylized representation like the sun) Pumbaa and Timon

Islands
Nemo, Dory and Peach

Lilo and Stitch

Ariel and Flounder

North Pole
Bambi and Thumper

The IASW song appears in 9 languages in Hong Kong- English, Cantonese, Putonghua, Tagalog, Korean, Japanese, Italian, Spanish and Swedish. Cantonese, Putonghua, Tagalog and Korean are exclusive to the Hong Kong version.

Melanie
01-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Cinderella and Prince Charming. In HKDL, Cinderella appears with the Prince in their ball attire.

Yes! That's why Cinderella in her 'everyday' attire didn't look familiar. Can't believe I didn't remember that. :doh: Here's our pic (taken without a flash, of course!).

Jeff T
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I hear the Small World attraction has reopend with a few changes, including the addition of Disney characters (e.g. Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, etc.), a slight change to the music in different areas, and the addition of a new scene. Can anyone confirm, and provide pictures or video?

NotaGeek
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I hear the Small World attraction has reopend with a few changes, including the addition of Disney characters (e.g. Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, etc.), a slight change to the music in different areas, and the addition of a new scene. Can anyone confirm, and provide pictures or video?
There were 3 other threads about this same topic, so I merged all of them together. If you scroll up there's discussion about the changes and a pic. AP sneak peek is on 2/5/09 with the ride re-opening to the public on 2/6/09.

We don't post links to video but if anyone has takes good pics pics after they ride (WITHOUT flash photography, of course!) :photo: and they would like to share you can contact me by PM and I will get them posted.

BrerGnat
02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
All I have to say is "WOW!!!!" :jaw:

Also, "BRAVO" to the Imagineers on this refurbishment. :clappy: I was skeptical to say the least when I read about the changes that were coming, but I think it is FABULOUS and I LOVE what they did. Can I admit that I like this ride now? :blush:

I have an AP, so I got to go in for the AP sneak preview, although, by the time I exited, which was around 11am, they were allowing non-AP holders in on one side of the line, while allowing AP holders exclusive entrance on the other side (sort of like FP). The non-AP holder line was LONG...the AP holder line was nil.

I waited zero minutes. I rode with my younger DS, who is almost 3.

I would like to give my full assesment/review, which will include spoilers, so:

***SPOILER ALERT***
Well, first of all, the boats are nicer, more comfy, higher backs, etc. The flume feels very buoyant, and it makes the ride more fun...as though you are ACTUALLY riding a boat, not just skimming along. But, enough about that.

As soon as we entered the ride, I was on the lookout. I felt like I was in a Where's Waldo book...my head did not stop whipping around...left, right, left, right, up, left, right...in search of the "Disney" characters. Now, I can't remember the order in which they appeared, and I probably won't even remember ALL of them, and silly me forgot my camera (although, to be honest, if I had remembered it, I would have missed about half the characters while I was taking pictures of the other ones).

First up was, I believe, Alice and the White Rabbit in Great Britain. Very immediately after on the left was Cinderella and Prince Charming (and Gus and Jaq) in Paris (?). I didn't know they lived in France. See, I would have TOTALLY missed Cindy if I had taken a picture of Alice...that's how fast they came up. Anyway, now I am totally going to forget the whole order and just list who I remember seeing, because they just started appearing SO fast. I saw:

-Pinocchio & Jiminy Cricket (Italy)
-Snow White (I think she was in the Netherlands???)
-Peter Pan & Tinkerbell (they are well hidden) ;)
-Aladdin and Jasmine ("Middle East")
-Abu (in front of the Taj Majal)
-Ariel, Flounder (under the sea)
-Lilo and Stitch (Hawaii)
-Nemo and Dory (in the ocean, somewhere)
-Donald Duck and the Three Amigos (Somewhere in Latin America)
-Timon, Pumbaa, and a young Simba
-Woody, Bullseye and Jessie
-Mulan and Mushu (China)---they are difficult to discern among all the dolls here, but Mushu is the giveaway to where Mulan is

So, I also noticed the melody has a tiny bit of Disney music woven in in some parts. It's barely noticeable, but it's a nice touch. Doesn't detract at all from the original melody.

Now, I do have a couple of comments on the character additions. First of all, I LOVE the way it was done. I think they did a wonderful job of preserving the original look of the Mary Blair dolls for the most part. Some characters are done SO well, I almost missed them. My award for "best hidden characters" goes to the Lion King Trio. I literally missed them, and only saw them when someone in my boat turned to take a picture of them, and I thought to myself "what are they taking a picture of over there?" and then I SAW THEM. Very sneaky. :thumbsup: Also, Peter Pan...VERY clever how he was added in.

Now, on the other hand, I sort of feel like they could have been a bit more selective in WHICH characters they chose to add to this "classic" attraction. I feel like the addition of ANY of the Pixar characters, as popular as they might be, was just weird. Doesn't seem to mesh into my own personal idea of "Disney classic" either when I think of movies OR attractions. I always imagine Walt Disney himself designing and riding IASW, and associate it with him very strongly. It feels strange to have Nemo and Woody the Cowboy in there, as much as they may be Disney, they are not "Classic Disney" in my eyes. I feel the Imagineers just threw some characters in there "for the kids", and it just felt forced. For me, those were:

-Lilo and Stitch
-Little Mermaid (sorry folks, but her whole section looked out of place in the ride--it was overkill)
-Nemo and Dory
-Cowboy Woody and Jessie
-Mulan and Mushu (it was like they felt compelled to put SOMEONE in China, even though that movie totally bombed---it also felt forced)

Finally, my last negative comment centers around the last scene before the final Grand Finale room. This room used to be black, I believe...just a transition room of sorts. Prior to this, you are coming from the Under the Sea/Hawaii/Pacific Islands room. This is the "controversial tribute to America" room now. This is the room where Woody and Jessie appear. This room is beyond weird. It is, for a moment, as though you are in a totally different attraction. You enter this room, which is rather small, and you are confronted by these HUGE cardboard cut-out-ish looking scenes (one on each side). The one on the left is a farm scene. The one on the right is a Western Prairie, I suppose. I couldn't really figure it out. The colors in here are BEYOND bright. Seriously. You should have seen my son's face when we entered this room. He looked the way I felt. Completely and utterly perplexed. Like, "huh???" And then, he sort of perked up and got excited about the windmill and barn, which were approximately 25 feet tall. That's all that captured his attention in there. There are a couple of dolls in front of the farm (good ol' American---white---farm boy and girl) and then on the left are some Native American looking (but not really) dolls and then Woody, Bullseye and Jessie :confused: Which begs the question...is this a friendly game of cowboys and Indians? I didn't quite understand the message in here. It was a rather twisted use of space, in my opinion, and should have been left as a blank transition room. The move into the Grand Finale room came as a welcome relief. For the perhaps 60 seconds we were in that little Farm/Indian room, I couldn't help but feel completely displaced, confused, and totally like I was on the wrong ride. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed this. Surely there is a better way to honor America than this. :(

The Grand Finale room was exceptional as always. I like the way they added a bit of color in here so it's not all white. The music in here was fabulous (here's where you can hear some of the Disney music added into the melody). At the end, there are some new postcards, many with messages about Disneyland. They were cute. :mickey:

Overall, I give this ride a huge thumbs up! I can't wait to ride it again (and again and again). I have never said that about IASW (except the Holiday version). I think I missed quite a bit of detail in looking for the "new" characters, so I failed to notice how spruced up everything else probably looked.

With the exception of that "America" room, the ride rocks. I say it's a DO NOT MISS for anyone visiting Disneyland in the future.

Kudos Imagineers. Job well done!

Melanie
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Something New to Celebrate! 'it’s a small world’ Returns to Disneyland With New Magic

A beloved Disneyland attraction returns to Fantasyland on Friday, Feb. 6, when “it’s a small world” opens with some new storytelling magic. With the premiere of a new “Spirit of America” scene, new musical enhancements, and a new look for some of the attraction’s familiar child dolls, “it’s a small world” will once again take guests of all ages on “the happiest cruise that ever sailed.”

This classic attraction has been renovated and enhanced while retaining the world-renowned charm that holds such a special place in the hearts of Disneyland guests. The “it’s a small world” journey continues to celebrate children of the world and their message of harmony and friendship. And now, for the first time, guests will be able to find some of the child dolls dressed as their favorite Disney characters, in the countries where their stories take place. For example, dolls dressed in Aladdin and Jasmine costumes play in the Middle East scene, and a doll dressed as Alice from “Alice in Wonderland” appears in the Great Britain scene.

Guests will enjoy riding “it’s a small world” again and again as they search for the 29 Disney and Disney/Pixar characters now represented in the attraction. Some appear as child dolls and some are playful-looking toys, such as the White Rabbit who accompanies Alice. The new doll costumes and toys are fashioned in the same artistic style that has made “it’s a small world” an icon around the globe. That style was created by art director, color stylist and Disney Legend Mary Blair, whose sense of design shaped “it’s a small world” from the very beginning.

“We know that many people have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to relive their ‘it’s a small world’ memories and to create new ones with children, grandchildren and friends,” said Disney Imagineer art director Kim Irvine. “It’s a pleasure to once again offer this beloved attraction to Disneyland guests, now with some special Disney enhancements.”

Among the enhancements is a new “Spirit of America” scene based on original concept art by Disney Legend Mary Blair, in keeping with the “it’s a small world” theme that friendship crosses all nations, including the United States.

Child dolls that are costumed as stylized representations of their favorite Disney characters can be spotted in several scenes.

The children in many “it’s a small world” scenes will have a variety of new stylized toys to play with, inspired by Disney and Disney/Pixar characters: Woody and Jessie for “Spirit of America,” a Mushu dragon kite for China, “The Three Caballeros” marionettes for Latin America, and others.

Additional fresh touches will be heard in the augmented “it’s a small world” soundtrack. The renowned “it’s a small world” song, written by Academy Award®-winning composers Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman (“Mary Poppins”), will still play throughout the attraction. Now, however, some subtle film music is woven into the song as counterpoint melodies, fitting the characters and scenes.

All of the boats in “it’s a small world” are new and designed to evoke the look and feel of boats that children of the world might play with anywhere.

Melanie
02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Aladdin and Jasmine, Lilo and Stitch, and the Spirit of America room

Melanie
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Woody and Jessie, Alice, Cinderella and The Three Caballeros

Marla
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I was there for the AP Preview. I have to say that I liked the additions to the ride. Kim Irvine really captured the Blair feel for adding the characters. I have read that there are 29 in all. They are placed so well that I only counted 25. :thumbsup::tink:

LarryTrujillo
02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
:mickey: Really nice work on the redo of IASW. I attended the AP Preview last week and enjoy the lack of lines as I rode it 5 times in a row from the opening time. It was so empty that we actually went twice without even getting off the boat (as there was NO line!).

Thought they did a very nice job just like they did the redo of Pirates! Very seamless and for the most part the charcters fit into the areas they are placed in. The music changes are hardly noticeable and the lighting is vastly improved. Fresh paint and a clean look to everything really makes a difference.

Don't forget to catch the hidden Mickey's in the grand finale room. Look up to the ceiling to find the "ballon shadows".

NotaGeek
02-11-2009, 09:17 PM
:mickey: Really nice work on the redo of IASW. I attended the AP Preview last week and enjoy the lack of lines as I rode it 5 times in a row from the opening time. It was so empty that we actually went twice without even getting off the boat (as there was NO line!).

Thought they did a very nice job just like they did the redo of Pirates! Very seamless and for the most part the charcters fit into the areas they are placed in. The music changes are hardly noticeable and the lighting is vastly improved. Fresh paint and a clean look to everything really makes a difference.

Don't forget to catch the hidden Mickey's in the grand finale room. Look up to the ceiling to find the "ballon shadows".
:welcome: to INTERCOT! Thanks for the post, I will be there soon and I can't WAIT to ride!