PDA

View Full Version : To Vote Or Not To Vote

mjaclyn
11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Did you or will you vote for the President? I was just curious how many people vote vs. those who choose not to vote.

SBETigg
11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I can't imagine not voting. I vote. I voted this morning. Done. Elections are very exciting to me.

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I really dont know why someone WOULDNT vote. I get very upset when I hear someone say "I'm only one vote so it doesnt matter". The point is unfortunately a lot of people think that way so if you WANT to make a difference, and lets face it, we HAVE to make a difference right now by voting, if a thousand people say "I'm just one person, my one vote doesnt matter"...that ONE-THOUSAND votes not getting counted....I think everyone should be a part of that, and has to be a part of something like that. And I feel that if you don't vote, and the president you wanted/didn't want gets in, keep your mouth shout about your opinions, because if you weren't part of it, you shouldnt be able to voice an opinion on it after-the-fact. No vote, no opinion, no say. Thats how I feel lol. LOL! I got all fired up. Politics and religion are the worst topics to talk to people about. Too many opinions lol. :blush:

TennesseeTink
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I can't imagine not voting. I vote. I voted this morning. Done. Elections are very exciting to me.

Ditto:thumbsup:

mjaclyn
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Politics and religion are the worst topics to talk to people about. Too many opinions lol. :blush:

LOL. I absolutely agree!! That's why I was just curious to see how many vote vs. not vote. I didn't even bother asking why because I knew that as soon as everyone said why they think others should or shouldn't vote the fights would begin! LOL

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
LOL Like me :blush: Oopsie. I got all fired up. I am just going to shut up from now on lol! Sorry guys, just kept rambling lol....:blush:

cajunprincess
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I voted during early elections here just to be sure! I can't complain if I didn't vote!

BigRedDad
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
There should be very few reasons why anyone who is permitted to vote doesn't. I voted.

merlinmagic4
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Of course I vote! Our elementary school is behind my house so I am watching cars stream through there today. It's amazing, really. Our kids had the day off from school but I am going over for a parent/teacher conference and then I'll be voting!!

Jeff G
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I voted bright and early this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find no line or wait.

Living in a true democracy is a privledge so many of us take for granted and I can't imagine why someone wouldn't vote. Every vote counts and may make a difference or lead to change.

As my dad says, if you don't vote you can't complain.

Disney Doll
11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I vote every time even though in bigger issues like the presidential election it's really a given that Oklahoma will be a red state. In that case I sort of feel like my vote for president doesn't matter, but I still do it. Oklahoma may always go red, but I like to see the percentages fluctuate and know that I was a part of it. I also preach the no vote, no complain mantra.

RenDuran
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I voted and then treated myself to breakfast!

gauvin4
11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I voted by absentee ballot to avoid the long lines here in my hometown. It also gets me out of shaking all the hands of the local politicians running for the county and city seats.

Alligirl
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I always vote, usually in the morning, but I am waiting for DD and her BF to come home for the day from college. It is thier first election and I am proud of them for taking it seriously. :thumbsup:

SoonerFairy
11-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Of course I voted!!! Why would you not. If you want a say in things that will effect your life and the ones you love.......VOTE!

DisneyDog
11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I voted this morning. Waited an hour from start to finish, and I got there at 7:20am. Luckily, my polling place is just across the parking lot from where I work, so I don't even have to move my car.

I must say, I felt really good afterwards. I did my job, and now I can just sit back and hope my vote made a difference.

kakn7294
11-04-2008, 11:51 AM
What I hate is seeing uninformed voters or those who vote along party lines despite feeling that a candidate from the opposite party would be a better choice. My family is like that - my Dad might vote outside party lines but I doubt my Mom, sister, and most of my aunts, uncles, & cousins do. I think it's an irresponsible way to vote. Of course, they all think I'm irresponsible for registering under the opposite party from them - but at least I'm not afraid to cross party lines like they are!

I'm going to vote later even though I don't like either of our Presidential candidates. It's still my duty to choose one.

Ian
11-04-2008, 11:56 AM
To me, casting an educated and informed vote is the duty of all Americans. We were granted the priviledge of electing our leaders and if you shirk that responsibility, then you abdicate all rights to complain about the government later on.

Now I do not care if people who vote for stupid reasons vote ... like, "Oh, he's handsome!" or "He has an R (or D) next to his name" or "She looks good on T.V."

To me, that's worse than not voting at all.

I have voted in every single election since I turned 18 and will continue to do so every year until I die.

LauraF
11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Exactly.
If you choose not to vote, then you willingly give up the right to complain about the results.

My family would kill me if I didn't vote - too many of them have fought and been wounded in the military defending our right to vote for me to ever take it lightly.

Hey Ian - maybe you can work out that you vote after you die too. It worked for previous elections. :D

Tick-Tock
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Whenever I think that voting might be too much trouble, doesn't really, matter, etc., I think of Alice Paul and other suffragists who fought for women to get the right to vote. The treatment they received was absolutely horrible. I thank them by always excercising my right to vote!

alphamommy
11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
On my way to do so right now.

I have a family member who has different political views than I do, although I haven't explicitly told the person because I don't want a lecture on how wrong I am. Earlier this morning, this person was badgering me because I hadn't gone to vote yet. I thought, "If you knew how I'm going to vote, you'd be hoping that I DON'T go!"

Tammy

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Wow, lol, after I posted what I did this morning I read it back and said to myself "ew I came across a little harsh or crude" not meaning to of course, but was afraid it might be read that way when I was talking about no vote, no right to say anything. I am glad now that I am not the only one that thinks that way and that a lot of you agree that if you dont vote you have no say in what happens afterwards. lol. Glad Im not the only one :blush: :mickey:

Princess'Mom
11-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I voted on my way to work this morning. So, I can say - Been there, done that and got the sticker to prove it! :D
Seriously, it is my duty to vote and just like Ian, I will vote until the day I die! :number1:

beksy
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I've voted every year since I turned 18 (actually I registered to vote on my 18th birthday but I can be a bit of a nerd--just ask my sister!). I've voted in every election since but had to do absentee this year since I'm 4 hours from home and bogged down in law books! I'm just sorry that I didn't get to see my sister vote for her first time today but Mom took pictures for me.

Stitchahula
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I voted this morning, I brought my boys with me. I have them with me everytime I vote.The baby doesn't understand anything yet except he gets some extra attention. My 5 year old is starting to understand some of it. Here in massachusetts there is a question that is up for a vote that means alot to the animal lovers in my family so my son told me which way to vote on that. He's so cute. :D

Nascfan
11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
My thoughts are sort of like Ian's. It is our duty as American citizens to inform ourselves and then also vote our best conscience.

PirateLover
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I used to accompany my father into the booth as a youngster, so you betcha I've been voting since I was 18 :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Just voted a little while ago. One vote CAN make a difference, I also feel that voting is right and a major responsibility for all Americans.

DizNee143
11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
im sure eveyone will be bashing on me..but im not voting..for two reasons..
first im not registered..second..im really not into all of this political hoopla...i barely know anything about any of it..and ya i know..it seems bad that im like that..but its the way it is..plus..either way you look at it..no one ever really does everything they say they are gonna do..so either way we are out of luck..

Tinkerbella16
11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I voted at 6:30am..right when they opened where I live. I go to the gym every morning at 5am, so I figured instead of waiting in the long lines after work...I'll be in and out. And I am glad I did, because the lines have been longgggg throughout the day.

TheDuckRocks
11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I voted today! I have been voting in every election since I turned 21, yes I'm one of the old fosils that had to wait that additional 3 years before they lowered the age. that now comes to a grand total of 44 years. Today was the most exciting election in which I've ever voted. The lines here in our fairly small town were long due to the huge turn out. I was in line for 1 hour 45 minutes before it was my turn to vote and I had left my ECV at home so that was a very long painful wait. Would I do it again? Absolutely!:flag:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I have voted in just about every election (local, national) since I was 18. I "preach" that everybody should get out and vote, if they don't they can't complain about anything. It's my right, duty, and resposibility to vote.:flag:

Ian
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
im sure eveyone will be bashing on me..but im not voting..for two reasons..
first im not registered..second..im really not into all of this political hoopla...i barely know anything about any of it..I won't bash you. If you aren't going to take the time to educate yourself on the issues and the candidate's positions, then it's definitely best if you don't vote.

I actually commend you for recognizing your limitations and not casting an uninformed vote.

DizneyRox
11-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately, I wish I could say I feel every vote counts. It's somewhat depressing to know that my state is already red or blue on a map and that the candidates don't even bother showing up.

So, can anyone explain why in that case my vote would count?

Now, if we elected the president by popular vote, then my opinion changes considerably, but until that happens I really can't say I have much confidence in the "My vote counts" mentality.

Local elections are a different matter all together, I'll assume this topic is based on the bog one.

Mendelson
11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Allow me to be a little contrary, if I may, if for no other reason than that this has been pretty one sided.

While I recognize that voting is viewed as a civic responsibility, we should not take it for granted, people died (and die) for our right to do so, choosing to spend time voting is very irrational thinking.

There is virtually no chance at all that your vote will count. Zip. You'd have a better chance of standing on the street outside your house and Mickey to come flying out of the sky with a year-long ultimate fast pass and a million dollars for you. The odds are about the same. It just won't make a difference.

Now true, if two million people felt that way it would make a difference. At the macro level the argument doesn't work, but that's not what we're talking about here. Your vote is what we're talking about, and only under a severe case of delusions of grandeur should anyone think their vote is going to sway an election.

You would better spend your time by taking HALF the time that voting is going to take you today and spend that time picking trash up around the neighborhood. That will have a real, measurable impact. Your vote will not.

Now, people make irrational decisions all the time, in many of the decisions we make (as many an economist would lament). I don't fault people for voting, but when I mention to people that I don't vote I do get a little tired of the heavy-handedness I get from them. And these may be people who undertake no other civic responsibility (as I do) but think this vote of theirs gives them a moral high ground.

Oh, and don't for a second believe that old saw that not voting precludes you from complaining after the election...becuase that assumes that your vote would have made a difference. And it won't. Pure and simple.

RedSoxFan
11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I voted this morning.

Ian
11-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh, and don't for a second believe that old saw that not voting precludes you from complaining after the election...becuase that assumes that your vote would have made a difference. And it won't. Pure and simple.But your logic is fundamentally flawed because you yourself openly admitted that this doesn't work at the macro level.

The bottom line is, if everyone felt and acted like you, then there most definitely would be an impact. Ergo, how each individual behaves has an overall impact on the election's outcome.

While your particular individual vote may not ultimately count for anything, your participation in the process (and your encouragement of others to participate) most definitely does.

Sorry to say that I totally and completely disagree with your thinking. It seems to me like you're trying to justify not voting by replacing it with trash collection or something ... it's apples and oranges, IMO.

conorsmom2000
11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
We're off to vote right now - we always wait to take Conor with us. He has been voting with us since he was a baby and takes the elections very seriously! We want him to understand how important voting, and having the right to vote, is! :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
But your logic is fundamentally flawed because you yourself openly admitted that this doesn't work at the macro level.

The bottom line is, if everyone felt and acted like you, then there most definitely would be an impact. Ergo, how each individual behaves has an overall impact on the election's outcome.

While your particular individual vote may not ultimately count for anything, your participation in the process (and your encouragement of others to participate) most definitely does.

Sorry to say that I totally and completely disagree with your thinking. It seems to me like you're trying to justify not voting by replacing it with trash collection or something ... it's apples and oranges, IMO.

:ditto: Couldnt have said it better myself.

Mendelson
11-04-2008, 03:51 PM
But we're not talking about everyone, we're talking about Ian, or myself. I'm not putting ads in the USA Today telling millions their vote won't count.

I've campaigned for people and then not voted for them, because campaigning can make a big difference, whereas my vote will make no difference.

If ever in my life there is a political election where my vote would have counted, ie the election ends in a tie or a one-vote victory, I'll start voting. But that won't happen.

My point about picking up trash was simply that people think they are making a contribution to their country by voting, when really their vote won't count for anything...and there is an opportunity cost associated with the time you spend committed to voting. If you really wanted to help your country or community, the time you spend casting an insignificant vote could be better spent doing other civic-minded things. I don't justify not voting by other things in my life...I was just using this as an example.

There's a great article in the NYT today about why people even bother to vote when there's no chance their vote will count. I emailed a professor quoted therein and asked if he could send some more literatrue on the rationalization of this thinking and what he sent along was pretty fascinating. Can't link to anything here, but you can at least read the NYT article if you choose.

chrisb26
11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I voted today for the first time!

I was excited to be able to vote finally since I wasn't old enough 4 years ago :blush:

But I do feel it's important and I do think every vote matters. As others have said if everybody had the thinking that their vote doesn't matter then it really would be a problem.

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
My point about picking up trash was simply that people think they are making a contribution to their country by voting, when really their vote won't count for anything...and there is an opportunity cost associated with the time you spend committed to voting. If you really wanted to help your country or community, the time you spend casting an insignificant vote could be better spent doing other civic-minded things. I don't justify not voting by other things in my life...I was just using this as an example.

Ok, so what your saying is noone should vote, because it wont count. And instead pick up trash around the neighborhood? So therefore if noone votes, and everyone picks up trash, the end result will be that we have no president at all or a really BAD president, but a spotless neighborhood? GRANTED I'm not saying lets vote and not clean our earth...but really....I do not see how one is even related to the other. They are two totally different things for doing the better-good of man-kind...OK yes lets all recycle yada yada....but to say that our person-by-person vote will not count make absolutely no sense at all and basically if one-thousand people use the "mentality" of "my vote does not make a difference"...ultimately in the end yes it does...because one-thousand votes are not counted and therefore could have made all the difference in the end of who would have HELPED our country and not hurt it like well without giving names...the present one...

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I also wanted to ask the questions of, basically what your saying is, as an American Citizen...we should not have the ability nor privelage to vote, because in the end it means nothing? That is what I am getting out of what your saying....which is just truly appalling to me.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
11-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I voted and got my sticker! I'm wearing it with pride. Where else in this world can people say that citizens of their country in the past have fought and died for this right, not very many. Also just think, women haven't even been able to vote for 100 years yet, amazing! I've been given this right and I'm going to use it, YEAH! :flag:

Mackflava99
11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I voted and i always vote- otherwise george washington, ben franklin and alot of our forefathers wasted their time...

I went early, there were no lines-
The only issue was some old man walked in while i was voting- everyone screamed for him to stop... i was done so it was no issue

I have never ever seen lines to vote? i would think it would discourage people.

Surprisingll, Ralph Nader was on the ballot again!!

Mendelson
11-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Okay, forget the trash example because people seem to be fixated on that.

Also, again, I'm not saying that everybody should eschew voting, not at all. The OP was, if I recall, did you vote and if not, why not. I'm simply saying that as an individual, my vote won't count.

It's a great privelage, important to democracy, the people are the ultimate arbiters of their own fate...I would have it no other way. Thank you, TJ, et al.

Nathan's vote (that's me) will neither put John McCain nor Barack Obama into office, it will not elect my senator, my rep, even my sherrif. If I thought for a second that my vote and my vote alone would elect the president...what stress! (Just like that Kevin Costner movie nobody saw.)

I think I have the history of tens of thousands of elections behind me here. I shouldn't have to defend that 2+2=4. Whereas you are all saying 2+2=4 million because we have the civic responsibility to believe such a thing.

PirateLover
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I've campaigned for people and then not voted for them, because campaigning can make a big difference, whereas my vote will make no difference.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. What is the sense of campaigning if you don't even pull the lever/push the button?

Dixie Springs
11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Voting as a right, not a duty. If there is any 'duty', it's to be an educated voter (and to not take the right for granted). It is by no means a form of community service. ''Service' and 'duty' are what our forefathers and veterans have done already. And I do believe my vote counts! So I guess I'm not in total agreement with the flamers or the flamed - I must be an Independent ;)

motherof4
11-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I tried to vote at 700 am the lines were out the door there was no where to park. so I went home went back at 1100 am couldn't get near the place. finally went back at 3 pm and got to vote. I have never seen lines like this for voting.

J9
11-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Honestly, I toyed with the idea of not voting this year. I haven't missed an election since I turned 18, but this year for the very first time I decided that I didn't like either of the candidates. Once I got my ballot, I was pretty gosh darn close to writing in Hillary, but then I figured that that would basically be throwing my vote away. In the end, I wound up voting for the candidate I disliked the least.

So - because I pretty much made a last second decision, I can understand how some people would decide not to vote at all in the election. If you feel strongly against both candidates, it makes sense. In the end, though, I do feel its important to cast some vote!

DizneyRox
11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. What is the sense of campaigning if you don't even pull the lever/push the button?
And I ask again, WHY DID NEITHER "REAL" CANDIDATE CAMPAIGN IN MY STATE?

The answer to that is why my vote does not count...

PirateLover
11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
And I ask again, WHY DID NEITHER "REAL" CANDIDATE CAMPAIGN IN MY STATE?

The answer to that is why my vote does not count...

That is a different issue. The poster said that they themselves have gone out campaigning for people in the past and then did not vote, which just does not make sense to me.

But, to answer your question... what about the other elections? Local and state? What about questions about the budget and city/local charters? School board members? There is a lot more to vote for than President of the United States....

harlowandthemermaid
11-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I went at 9am and it was a great time to go......no wait at all. I heard that it was crazy by midday and have heard tales of people fighting with each other in the election lines.
I was bracing myself for long lines and a long painful wait with a toddler, so I was pleasantly suprised.
Wore my sticker all day long and had 2 cups of free Starbucks coffee :)
WE also had a vote for slots on the bill today so I am interested to see how that comes out as well.

J9
11-04-2008, 06:52 PM
WE also had a vote for slots on the bill today so I am interested to see how that comes out as well.

We had a question about whether the Mayor could take over our park system. I'm actually more nervous about this than the Presidential election. I'm hoping our park is safe from having the Mayor take it over and sell it off!!!

MauiMouse
11-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I also voted early this morning, there was only one person in front of me in our precinct. I always vote. :thumbsup:

Mad About Mickey
11-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I went this morning at 6 am, no line and a nice start to what was a beautiful fall day up here in New England. I really enjoy Election Day, all the supporters waving and holding signs at polling places and street corners, followed by a night of watching the results on television. Its like the Super Bowl for those of us who like to follow politics :).

Tinkermom
11-04-2008, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Mendelson;1775511].

QUOTE]

So you campaigned for people in the hopes that folks would vote for your candidate but you do not believe that a person's vote counts??? :shrug: I am sorry my friend that makes no sense IMO. :down:

This morning on the TODAY show they talked about previous presidential elections specifically related to weather. One study showed that the weather affects how many people come out to vote. Specifically rain/bad weather keeps people home. In the 2000 election west Florida had rain and it was estimated that 100,000 democrats did not vote and that if they had Al Gore could very possibly have won Florida and therefore the presidency. 100,000 is NOT that many people relatively speaking. So to say that one vote does not count? I disagree!

Kenny1113
11-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I wasn't going to vote because I have been feeling pretty jaded towards politics with all the corruption and what not. I did however vote because too many people fought hard for us to have that right and it's what makes us different from some other countries.

LauraleeH
11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
It would have been my first year to vote, except I didn't register in time. The dates were apparently mixed up and when I went to register, it was too late. I can always register next time. I did a lot of research and did a lot of talking to my friends and family, so they will be informed. I think a lot of my friends that were voting for the first time were definitely misinformed and were going to vote just because. I don't believe in that. I believe you should know why you are voting and who you are voting for. Like I told them, if you're voting just because you can, but don't put any time or effort into it, then save your vote for American Idol.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
11-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Yeah I'm interested to see how this turns out and the voting early law as well. Both I think were good issues to bring up, IMHO.:thumbsup:

DisneyLandMomma
11-04-2008, 10:45 PM
absolutely, I voted!! :)

hokies4life
11-04-2008, 11:31 PM
We also had a vote for slots on the bill today so I am interested to see how that comes out as well.

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out as well.
But I did vote today, and it was my first time voting at an actual polling place with the machines and all. I've always had to vote by absentee ballot before while I was away at school.

Gator
11-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Yes, I did vote.

SBETigg
11-05-2008, 07:25 AM
What a thrilling, exciting election! I'm so pleased to know that I was part of it. Whichever way you voted, if you voted, you know you took part in this historic election, and what a great feeling.

Diznee4Me
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Yes, I voted.

DisneyDog
11-05-2008, 09:03 AM
It was SO worth it!

pixiesmimi
11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I voted and stood in line over 2 hours. One girl in line asked if we could get FastPasses and come back. :) I told them it wasn't any worse than standing in line for Peter Pan or another ride. :)

I just wish they would get rid of the electorate college. I think our votes would count more without it. Also, it makes me so mad when they call the election before all of the states have had time to vote or be counted. That just influences the vote in those states or influences the people in those states not to go vote because it has already been called. The western states are the ones that can say, "Why Vote?" because it is usually called before theirs are even counted. That infuriates me.

murphy1
11-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I get really mad when I see people don't vote. My great grandfather, grandfather (a Pearl Harbor Survivor, has a Silver Star and Bronze Star) my dad and dh have all served in our military and fought for the rights of others, the least you can do is wait in a line and vote. I commend anyone running for Pres, I wouldn't want the job. I also volunteered this year and had major tears last night. I have an African American nephew and am imagining such a new world for so many. Thank you all for whatever person you voted for and especially if you waited in the rain for hours!

caryrae
11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
We voted, it was nice walked right in registered, got ballot and went to booth and voted in less then 20 minutes. I would hate to be like some who waited in line for hours. I guess it helps that my city is not that big.:flag:

ElenitaB
11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Also, it makes me so mad when they call the election before all of the states have had time to vote or be counted. That just influences the vote in those states or influences the people in those states not to go vote because it has already been called. The western states are the ones that can say, "Why Vote?" because it is usually called before theirs are even counted. That infuriates me.
I can understand your frustration and anger. However, I've lived on both coasts and when living in California I was never tempted NOT to vote. As many above have said, too many have died to get us the vote. I did note last night, however, that no states were called before their polls closed. And with their 55 + 7 +11 electoral college votes, the West Coast states do play an important role in the overall outcome of the elections.

caryrae
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
It would have been my first year to vote, except I didn't register in time. The dates were apparently mixed up and when I went to register, it was too late. I can always register next time.

Couldn't you have registered on voting day? That's what I did, I wasn't registered because we moved and my wife and I registered right at the voting place yesterday.

J9
11-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Couldn't you have registered on voting day? That's what I did, I wasn't registered because we moved and my wife and I registered right at the voting place yesterday.

Only a handful of states let you register the day of. For most states you need to be registered a good month before the election.

caryrae
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Only a handful of states let you register the day of. For most states you need to be registered a good month before the election.

Thanks, I didn't know that. My wife did register a couple months ago but of course they didn't have any record of it so she had to register again.

Marker
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
So, if every individual were convinced to believe that their individual vote did not matter, and NO ONE voted, then what?

I wouldn't want to live my life having no input into what was going on around me or what course my future might take. I would never be content to simple resolve to be go along with whatever was dished out upon me. If I did not care enough to submit my input into my future, then I would have no choice but to be content with whatever happened to me, and no right to take objection to it later.

While it is true that seldom does any race come down to a single vote's difference, we are not here by ourselves. We are a part of the whole and therefore should feel obliged to function as part of the whole.

To lay the burden of the choice solely on others, and then sit in judgement of the choice is a very selfish viewpoint.

TinkerbellT421
11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
So, if every individual were convinced to believe that their individual vote did not matter, and NO ONE voted, then what?

I wouldn't want to live my life having no input into what was going on around me or what course my future might take. I would never be content to simple resolve to be go along with whatever was dished out upon me. If I did not care enough to submit my input into my future, then I would have no choice but to be content with whatever happened to me, and no right to take objection to it later.

While it is true that seldom does any race come down to a single vote's difference, we are not here by ourselves. We are a part of the whole and therefore should feel obliged to function as part of the whole.

To lay the burden of the choice solely on others, and then sit in judgement of the choice is a very selfish viewpoint.

Thank you. That has been what I have been trying to get across. I applaud you. LOL

2Epcot
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I have voted in every major election, and most minor ones since I've been able to vote ... That is more then 20 years of voting. I can't imagine not voting. Yesterday it took me about 30 minutes to vote, that is the longest I can remember having to stand in line.

While some people may not think an individual vote may mean anything on a national level, it certainly means a great deal to the local ballot measures and officals running for office in your area. The people elected will decide what happens in your life, how can that not be important.

caryrae
11-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Single votes can make a difference. Here in Minnesota the Senate Race is still going on. It was so close (Norm Coleman ahead by 725) they had to do a recount, now the gap shrunk to 462.

Wayne
11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Single votes can make a difference...

Or in one of our local school board races. Out of 11,000+ votes cast, the difference between the top 2 candidates is 10 votes.

pixiesmimi
11-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I can understand your frustration and anger. However, I've lived on both coasts and when living in California I was never tempted NOT to vote. As many above have said, too many have died to get us the vote. I did note last night, however, that no states were called before their polls closed. And with their 55 + 7 +11 electoral college votes, the West Coast states do play an important role in the overall outcome of the elections.

I just feel like the votes might be closer or more accurate and we will all feel like our vote counts more if there were no electorate. Sorry, but I have just not ever been a fan of the electorate college. I know a lot of politicians aren't either. I do agree that we need to vote regardless because of all the other local candidates and items on the ballots that are important. I also wonder how many absentee ballots get counted, especially from overseas when we know that a lot of them don't make it in time or get lost in the mail.

TinkerbellT421
11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I also wonder how many absentee ballots get counted, especially from overseas when we know that a lot of them don't make it in time or get lost in the mail.

Let me say this about that....My best friend Mike is a Marine....the 2004 election he was in Iraq....he got his absentee ballot...from the GOVERNMENT....7 months AFTER the election...lol...his whole unit of about 150 people...got it 7 months after the election...150 votes out the window....:mad:

thrillme
11-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Thought I posted here already but I think it was a different thread.

YES I voted...Early voting. It was quick and easy.

Bottom line. If you do NOT vote then you GIVE UP any and all rights to COMPLAIN about ANYTHING you don't like in the government.

Mackflava99
11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
we have a 30 year old, american, male in my office who said he has never voted....
He said he has not seen a reason to vote-

I told him he disturbed me with his attitude-

but obviously athere are more people like him around too- which is SAD

DizNee143
11-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Bottom line. If you do NOT vote then you GIVE UP any and all rights to COMPLAIN about ANYTHING you don't like in the government.

im soooo not here to start anything..
but this is just my opinion..but i didnt vote..but i can still complain if i want to..
me voting or not voting has nothing to do with me complaining about whats to come...
like i said in my first post in this thread..
its not like anyone ever really does what they say they are gonna do..everyones gonna be complaining about something sooner or later..
not that i will complain...cuz again like i said earlier..i really dont know much about any of this political stuff..i may not like who become president..but oh well..ill get over it!

LauraleeH
11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I think it's a personal decision and while it's ok to tell people to vote, I think it's rude to ask people if they vote. If they don't vote, then you get really mad at them because they disagree or just have their own reasoning, and it can be a very personal matter. I guess what I mean is, if you ask a person, don't be surprised by their answer ;)

pixiesmimi
11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Let me say this about that....My best friend Mike is a Marine....the 2004 election he was in Iraq....he got his absentee ballot...from the GOVERNMENT....7 months AFTER the election...lol...his whole unit of about 150 people...got it 7 months after the election...150 votes out the window....:mad:

Exactly! My point exactly! We have been in that situation while in Korea. Whose votes above all else should be counted than those serving in the military overseas? Then you have to wonder also about the absentee votes here in the US and how many get lost in snail mail. Some people think they voted and theirs never got there. The solution to that is to take your absentee ballot and hand carry it back to the proper office.

princessjojo
11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
You had better believe I voted. I happen to be way to opinionated not to have voted. And if I don't then I have no reason or basis to voice my opinion at all.

I feel that if I do, then there may be the slightest chance I may sway someone to believe the same way I do. If each of those does the same, I have created a movement. Now if I was the only one who voted a particular way, no my vote maybe wouldn't make a big difference, but if all those who are part of my "movement" voted my way, I could help make some kind of difference.

In my meager opinion, that is the power of the people.

mainemajor
11-16-2008, 04:24 PM
The ability to vote is a privilage and a responsibility that all people eligable to vote should exercise. Too many people in this world would die for the opportunity we have in our country.
That said no one should criticize anyone that chooses not to vote because in the United States that is their option.
My wish is that everyone finds out about candidates and/or issues and then make an informed decision.