PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Deluxe DDP...

Tbelle1976
11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
We will be staying at Pop for 1 week in February with the DDP. Now that I'm looking into it, the deluxe plan would only be an extra $30/day for DH and I, and an extra $10/day for DD and DS. I'm thinking it's really worth it to have 3 sit down meals per day plus 2 snacks compared to only 1 sit down per day. Plus we get a refillable mug for each person?
I really hope it does not sound to good to be true?
Deluxe Plan
3 sit down meals per person/day, including an appetizer & dessert per person?
2 snack per person/day?
1 refillable mug per person?

Please let me know if I'm looking at this wrong...:mickey:

RobinRocksDisney
11-03-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm by far no expert at this (doing my first trip next year:cloud9:), but from what I've read and what I've been told--that is alot of sitting/eating time on your vacation. Thats cool if that is what you want:mickey:
I wonder....can you purchase the basic plan and upgrade while you are there if you feel the deluxe plan would work better for you?

Tbelle1976
11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
From what I was told today, the dining plan has to be purchased at least 48 hours before you check in. I understand it would be a lot of time eating, but we would spend that time (maybe just a little less) having our quick service meals and standing in line for them anyway I figured.

RobinRocksDisney
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey sounds good to me! Your Disney--your vacation--your magical experience!:wishes:

Now the fun part--getting to plan and make your ressies!

Make sure to come back after your trip and give us reviews of the restaurants you were at.

henry.james.s
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
You've got it right. I've done the Deluxe DDP several times and will on my trip next month. The way I work the 3TS/day credits is use one for B'fast anywhere (my fave is Boma). And then use the remaining 2 at one of the Signature locations. That way it's not too much food. Even if you use it for 3 seperate meals a day you'll come out far enough ahead to cover the gratuity at the TS locations in most cases.
It's worth it to me..something else I don't have to worry about.

gerald72
11-04-2008, 07:12 AM
The best way to get your money's worth is to use the dining plan for Table Service restaurants, as opposed to Counter Service locations.
Eating three table service meals a day presents a few problems:
1) That is A LOT of food. I like to eat as much as the next guy, but that is a lot of eating. When are you possibly going to fit in those snacks?
2) Table Service restaurants usually require reservations, which requires more planning. We ended up canceling a few reservations, because we were just more tired than we were hungry.

Under some circumstances, this may be a great value. But how great of a deal is it if it goes unused?

As a previous poster said, use it for signature restaurants and dinner shows. But you don't want to find yourself doing things you don't really want to do just to "use up" credits.

Remember, you can use the credits on both the day you arrive and the day you leave. I scheduled an evening meal when we arrive and a breakfast on the day I left.

TheRustyScupper
11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
The way I work the 3TS/day credits is use one for B'fast anywhere (my fave is Boma). And then use the remaining 2 at one of the Signature locations..

1) For best value, NEVER use TS-coupons for breakfast. *
2) Not good planning or good value.
3) Based upon the signature dinner, it could also be a bad deal.
4) For best value
. . . never use coupons for any breakfast
. . . never use coupons for most lunches
. . . never use coupons for character meals
. . . never use coupons for dinner shows
5) A TS-coupon is worth about $28 retail, so
. . . the 1-coupon meal needs to be worth $28-$30
. . . the 2-coupon meal needs to be worth $60-$66

* As an example, a $28 coupon should not be used for a $17, or so, breakfast.

SBETigg
11-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I think it's a great plan if you enjoy signature dining and the ease of paying ahead. You might or might not be paying more that way depending on where you eat, what you order. It is a lot of food. Three sit down meals a day is tough for us to pull off while also trying to fit in time at the parks.

But our April trip is an adults-only getaway to belatedly celebrate my turning 40 (ugh). We're doing a signature meal a day, and probably a breakfast, and it works for us. I'm not into nickel and diming my way through the particulars of each meal to make sure I'm getting the best value out of the plan. The ease of paying in advance and just enjoying my vacation makes it worth it for me this time. It may or may not be worth it for you, too, depending on your dining habits and vacation plan.

TheDuckRocks
11-04-2008, 10:38 AM
We will be using the Deluxe DDP in Dec. and we're breaking Rusty Scrupper's rules, we are going to a charactrer meal, one breakfast, 4 lunches and 4 signature dinners during our 5 night stay. I have seen the menus and have added up the amounts we will more than likely spend on each meal and adding in the refillable resort mug, 2 snacks a day and the taxes which are included I think we will be over $400 dollars ahead of what the DDDP will cost us. And that's before the additional $370 credit our DDDP was reduced by using the Disney Visa offer for free basic dining during the time we will be there. Thank you Nanci for once again coming through with those great codes you post here in accomodations.:thumbsup:

DisneyBabies
11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
If you (like my DH) absolutely HAVE TO make sure you are spending less money on the DDP than you would if you are paying out of pocket, try this idea: Decide where you would like to eat, look up the menus and figure out the APPROXIMATE cost of what you might eat (cost of food and entrees may change by the time you get there), ESTIMATE what you may pay for snack credits, add it all up and compare it to what you will pay for the DDP.

We are getting the DDP for our upcoming trip and we are having one early breakfast and one late dinner per day (on arrival day, one early lunch and a late dinner; on departure day, one early breakfast and one late lunch). We are doing some signature dinning and some dinner shows. We will use the adult snacks mostly for water in the parks and my DS will use his snack credits to tide him over between meals. We did our estimates and going by that we have saved almost $100 by getting the DDP instead of paying OOP.

For myself, the monetary value of the plan isn't the biggest factor. The other things that mean more to me are the fact that everything is paid for up front, I get two set times each day with my DH and DS to talk about what we want to do, what we've done and what we like and dislike about our day, and these meals are times for us to stop for a while and enjoy a different part of the Disney experience together and we still have plenty of time for the parks.

henry.james.s
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
$28 per credit isn't quite right the way I figure it. That would make it $84/day.
The Deluxe DDP is just shy of $70 per adult. Snack credits are roughly valued @ $4ea and you get 2/day.
So if you take the $8 off the $70/day cost you get $62 that makes the cost per TS credit aprox $20.66
At least that how I figure it.

So as a example B'fast @ Boma $18 then Dinner @ FF or CGrill aprox $70 thats $88 total for $62 putting me $26 to the good.

Tbelle1976
11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
The hardest part is trying to figure out where exactly to dine with all our TS credits! Now that I'm really trying to plan the meals I'm getting much more excited than I was before.

I was thinking of possibly using our appetizers with our credits for the kids and also sharing our meals w/them and saving the kids credits for in between meals if they should get hungry. We think this might work?

We probably don't plan on doing any signature dining...DD is 9 and DS is 7, so they are happy with just about anywhere we eat.

Ksmith75
11-04-2008, 12:13 PM
My husband and I entertained doing the Deluxe Dining Plan. For the past 2 years, we got the regular plan....I think that for us the deluxe would be too much food. We usually start the day off with a breakfast bar in our room that we pack with us, then do counter service for lunch and then a sit down for dinner and a snack somewhere in between...we are way stuffed after all that food that by the 4th or 5th day (we stay 10!) I dont eat much of my meals for a day or two. I dont think I would want to do all those sit downs either....it is fun to grab a quick burger at the park and be on your way.

Ropachs
11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
We just came back from the world last week and purchased the regular DDP, for us, even that was too much food!

DisneyBabies
11-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Tbelle1976-
The only problem with having the kids share your meals and saving the kids credits are that you will wind up risking not using all of your credits. If you are staying for a week, you will have 36 adult credits and 36 child credits for the week (I am guessing 6 nights 7 days). If you have the kids eat off of your plates for one day, that is approximately 6 kids credits you will have to use up on another day in addition to the 6 you already have for another day. I'm not sure if that makes sense when I am typing it or not.

Here is another way to look at it:
Day 1 - Breakfast 4 credits (all of you use your credits)
Lunch 4 credits
Dinner 4 credits

Day 2 - Breakfast 4 credits
Lunch 2 credits (the kids eat off of your plates)
Dinner 2 credits

Day 3 - Breakfast 4 credits
Lunch 4 credits
Dinner 4 credits

Day 4-6 - same as Day 3

Day 7 - when you wake up on departure day, the kids will have 4 credits left.

Of course all this depends on if you are eating 3 meals a day or only two. And don't forget that some places will let you use snack credits to pay for side items that can be used to tide the kids over between meals.

Also, you said you won't do any signature dining, but will you do any of the dinner shows?

brian2000boston
11-05-2008, 07:05 AM
We were 2 adults and 1 3 year old. We had the standard DDP. There wouls be no way we could have added a third meal. Between breakfast and dinner we just were not hungry. Tere was so much to do and the meals were so big we never would have been able to use the extra meals. As for the snacks, funny how we thought it would be useful. We actually were full from them eals and never really needed half of them. LAst day we ran around just to use them up.

Either way, I am sure you wil have fun

Tbelle1976
11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
At this point if we decide to do a dinner show it would be the luau. I really am torn. I tend to think that the deluxe DDP might be too much food, but when DH and I started planning we said that we would do everything that we wanted this time.
I want to do everything in the parks that the kids want to do, but then again I feel like this dining plan might take alot away from the parks unless we plan our meals very intelligently.
We should make our final decison within the week and I'll post our ADR's to get opinions, as the people on this site are who I would trust the most!:mickey:

thrillme
11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
We had the "regular" Dining plan with one Table Service, one counter and one snack...it was really too much food. Since we tend to eat buffets and we really didn't need credits for our arrival and departure days we had a couple of extra credits that were hard to use (but we did it).

If you plan on doing a lot of "signature" dining then maybe it'll be OK but...I guess for us...I just don't like leaving the parks. I don't mind going back for a "little" while back to the hotel just to rest for an hour or two but...

Tinkerbella16
11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Even when we were on the regular dining plan last year, we thought it was wayy too much food and too much time sitting and eating meals. I could only imagine what the Deluxe must be like. We aren't going to do the DDP anymore...we don't think it is worth it, especially when they keep taking things away like tip, appetizer, etc...

Almost everyone I talked to who had the Deluxe DP, said the same thing... Too much food!! You're basically planning your entire vacation around meals. And thats not what we like to do, so I wouldn't think about it for our family. How do people even manage to eat 3 sit-down meals each day??? I would be so bloated!!!! :sick:

henry.james.s
11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Almost everyone I talked to who had the Deluxe DP, said the same thing... Too much food!! You're basically planning your entire vacation around meals. And thats not what we like to do, so I wouldn't think about it for our family. How do people even manage to eat 3 sit-down meals each day??? I would be so bloated!!!! :sick:

The too much food & time issues are exactly why I work the Deluxe DDP the way I do.
A early TS breakfast or early TS lunch and a 5:30pm or later dinner at a Signature Dining location.
That way it's only 2 full meals a day at the higher end locations (better food). And it doesn't cut out a large chunk of time at the parks.
I've used this method for several trips and it really works.

garymacd
11-05-2008, 07:22 PM
The DDP gives you 3 TS per day, plus snacks.

THAT IS A LOT OF FOOD!

Not only that, but you will be moving from one venue to another just to eat. The time it takes to move from park to park or resort could be better spent riding the rides and attracting the attractions.

I like to eat, too. But I would like also to come home wearing the same pants I left in.

Just my opinion. It is your vacation. You must decide what is right for you, my young Jedi.

lightyearfan
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
for me and dw it is a must do when booking our WDW trips. we feel that it is well worth the money and you will be saving allot. we usually break ours up as 1 TS for breakfest, get a snack and finish off with a late TS meal, and we also get a few signature resturants in there as well. yes it's allot of food , but when you are going to be walking around WDW you will build up an appetite, don't get me wrong we aren't big people, and we watch what we eat everyday when at home, but when on vacation it's splurge time LOL :mickey: enjoy your trip

Victor

DisneyBabies
11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
If you use the plan the way DH and I do, it's not nearly as much food as everyone says.

We schedule an early breakfast (7:30a) and a late dinner (7:30p; some signature dining and dinner shows as well as regular TS) and make sure we get there early on arrival day and go home late on departure day so that we use all our credits without having 3 meals a day.

If you have 10-12 hours between meals, I would think that would leave you plenty of time for the parks.

DizNee143
11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
it sounds like an ok deal..and you get to try many many many restuarants..
but you do eat up (lol no pun intended) alot of your vacation with eating!
and then seriously where do all you people pack that food away in??
i could never eat 3 full meals like per day..
but more power to the people who could handle all that food every day of your vacation..i know i would be sick by like day 3..lol..

Disney Doll
11-06-2008, 01:00 PM
I think it depends on 3 things which are really matters of personal preference:
1) Do you enjoy enjoy eating and could your appetite handle all that the plan would provide?
2) How do you like to spend your time at WDW?
3) Would you mind being tied to specific reservation times every day?

For my family even the basic DDP doesn't seem like a good option. We don't like to be too scheduled so we only plan for a couple of TS meals per trip. Even then it sometimes feels irritating to have to be somewhere at a certain time. We are not big eaters. DH never eats breakfast and I usually keep small breakfast items I can eat in the room. We don't like the crowds at peak meal times and eating breakfast in the room helps us get on to the parks which is what we really like most. We love to snack around the parks and especially in World Showcase. Also a factor is that our 1 yr old son does not have the patience for very many TS meals. I've done the math and it seems like what we normally spend on food comes in under what we would pay for DDP, but that will vary greatly from one family to the next. Most important is that the DDP is only a good option if you use it. I often see families in the resort gift shops on their final day trying to use up a week's worth of snack credits. Seems like kind of a waste.

henry.james.s
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
If you use the plan the way DH and I do, it's not nearly as much food as everyone says.

We schedule an early breakfast (7:30a) and a late dinner (7:30p; some signature dining and dinner shows as well as regular TS) and make sure we get there early on arrival day and go home late on departure day so that we use all our credits without having 3 meals a day.

If you have 10-12 hours between meals, I would think that would leave you plenty of time for the parks.

As I've said in my previous posts in this thread
this is a VERY SMART way of taking full advantage of the Deluxe DDP and the value within it.
The bottom line is you DO NOT have to eat 3 full meals a day. I couldn't do it and wouldnt want to.
You get high quality meals that won't slow you down in any way and, IMO it takes you from having a good vacation to having a AWESOME Disney experience!!

BigRedDad
11-06-2008, 01:20 PM
3 TS's per day would kill my time on vacation. On paper, the cost looks OK, but when you add the 4+ hours per day of sitting down and eating, that is far more time than I want to waste being away from other attractions. I don't eat 3 sit down meals in a week, so I am not going to do it on vacation.

Just my :twocents:

Mackflava99
11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
My friends just did it and said that they ate wa too much and it wasted alot of time sitting

henry.james.s
11-06-2008, 02:00 PM
3 TS's per day would kill my time on vacation. On paper, the cost looks OK, but when you add the 4+ hours per day of sitting down and eating, that is far more time than I want to waste being away from other attractions. I don't eat 3 sit down meals in a week, so I am not going to do it on vacation.

Just my :twocents:

My friends just did it and said that they ate wa too much and it wasted alot of time sitting

:mickey:
AGAIN friends please try to understand..nobody is forcing you to eat 3TS meals a day. Please read read posts #5,20,23 & 26 in this thread. This is a great way of doing it all.
This really works..trust me.
I've spent ALOT of time at Disney (over a year total) and have used ALL the dining plans. If you enjoy fine dining and want to maximise your time in the parks this is the best way of getting both.
BUT if it's still not for you so be it. :D