PDA

View Full Version : What country would you put in World Showcase?

DisneyBabies
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I love Epcot! I love seeing new places, and since I will probably never travel internationally, Epcot is the place for me to see what I would otherwise be missing.
But I have wondered how the countries were chosen and why. And I have also thought about what new countries they could put in (if space allowed of course).

So, my question is this: If you only had space for ONE country in Epcot, which one would you add and why?

I would add Russia simply because I LOVE those Russian nesting dolls and the I would love to see a reproduction of the castle the Rominov's lived in (I'd have to see it here since I won't travel overseas :D).

tadshome
11-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I voted for Egypt :thumbsup:

Donald
11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I voted for Greece. It's culture seems to be a very passionate, exciting one!! And who doesn't love greek food?:mickey:

thumperbug
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Egypt for the history and pyramids. Greece for the food.

Mad About Mickey
11-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I voted for Ireland, gotta go with me Mum & Da's homeland :gold:.

But on the serious side Ireland would be great for a Cusre of DarKastle like dark ride with Irish mythology or how about Egypt for a 4D magic carpet ride. World Showcase deserves a top notch dark ride, Egypt's ancient architecture would lend itself nicely to Disney's Imagineers.

gerald72
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I voted for Egypt for the pyramids. I think Austrailia would fit better in Animal Kingdom

Jim&AngieMarriner
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I think Russia could be a absolutely beautiful. All the colorful onion top towers... Also if you look into it, there are a LOT of fairy tails that have thier origins in Russia. I think it would be a perfect fit. Not sure WHERE they would put it on the grounds but it would be cool if they could.

Bobby T
11-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Was torn between Egypt and Greece, but went with Greece as there isn't a current World Showcase pavilion like it. (One might say Morocco and Egypt are somewhat similar)

Rhetoric2000
11-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Eastern Europe would be the more unique new cultural experience of those choices. Although for various reasons there are perhaps better choices than Russia (though I voted for it) - Croatia possibly or the Czech Republic.

I can see the argument for Greece but I just think that another western (western-ish in the case of Greece) European country would be gilding the lily somewhat.

- Australia needs to come to WDW - but at Animal Kingdom rather than Epcot.
- Spain, if I recall, was due to come into WS at one stage. But, again, it's western Europe.
- There's already an Irish restaurant and shop in WDW and the architecture is virtually identical to British. And it's western Europe.
- India is, I suppose, represented at AK theoretically.
- Lots could be done with an Egyptian theme, but it's already at a local(ish) competitor and the architecture is similar to Morocco.
- Um, Scotland already IS in World Showcase.

Of course the really under-represented area is South America.

Given a free choice I could pick between Brazil, the most populous South American nation and one with a lot of visitors to WDW and The Czech Republic, which has one of the most beautiful capital cities in the world as an architectural muse.

RAIDER
11-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Australia for me WS needs a new continent in there, theres enough European ones in there at the moment :thumbsup:

SBETigg
11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I voted Greece because I think they could add a myth-based ride, and that would be a lot of fun. Plus, good food and interesting culture.

BigRedDad
11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
i voted for Ireland. If they put a real Irish pub in, an old guy making toasts, and good Irish ales I would be happy.

Dragongirlx
11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I vote for Scotland.

There could be a ride involving glens and lochs and the Loch Ness Monster. Plus there could be a cafee selling haggis neeps and tatties and that other Scottish Specialty - deep fried Mars bars.
Plus all that lovely Scots Whiskey:pipes:

WDWfeelslikehome
11-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I voted Russia. It's a beautiful country with endless possibilities for the WS. So many fairy tales and world history things could be brought in to tell its story, not to mention the architecture.

PS- I am largely biased as DW and I spent just over a month there in the past year when we brought DS home.:cloud9:

PPS- 3.5 months after DS came home, we brought him to meet the Mouse at WDW.:D

Simba's Mom
11-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I also voted Russia, and I also think the architectural possibilities are beautiful. But really, I'd love to see any new country.

KAJUNKING
11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
i think egypt would be the best, just imagine what the imagineers could do with that theme, it could be awesome :mickey:

DNS
11-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Australia for me WS needs a new continent in there, theres enough European ones in there at the moment :thumbsup:
I totally agree. I would love to see Australia added. To World Showcase as well as Animal Kingdom.

Tbelle1976
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Every so often someone posts this same question and I do have to admit in the past I voted for Australia. However, this time around I chose Greece. I do believe it would be beautiful part of EPCOT and the food would be great!

Imagineer1981
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Too tough, I want them all. Why not add 2 new countries...he he

dnickels
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I vote for Greece, but Russia would be a close 2nd for me.

I'd like to see something added that's very different from the US (so obviously not Australia in the poll) but I can see how from a business perspective that might be the choice made because Americans tend to be much more interested in traveling to 'Americanized' places like Australia and western Europe than eastern Europe or southeast Asia where would feel out of our element.

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I voted for Egypt! I have loved and was a little obsessed for a while about the history and everything that had to do with Egypt. One of the first gold charms I had my father buy me when I was a kid was a king tut charm! lol Actually my FIRST one was cinderellas castle, the second one was king tut. lol. I think it would be a cool thing for disney to do, Im sure there would be some awesome things the imagineers could get together for the pyramids and tombs and all of the mummy type stuff...Im actually really surprised now that Im think about it, that Disney hasnt thought of that.....OMG and the cool customes you could get there! Wow....I like the sounds of adding Egypt to the world showcase!! :thumbsup: :cloud9:

Zawadi
11-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd add Australia - so that you could get a feel for the place before travelling all that way to the real thing.
Any new country would be nice though:mickey:

mcjaco
11-04-2008, 02:34 PM
You guys do realize that the United Kingdom does represent a litle of Ireland and Scotland too?

I'm in agreement that there's enough of Europe already there. We need some Asian countries or South American countries.

What about Brazil or Thailand?

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
You guys do realize that the United Kingdom does represent a litle of Ireland and Scotland too?

I'm in agreement that there's enough of Europe already there. We need some Asian countries or South American countries.

What about Brazil or Thailand?

I forgot UK had some ireland in there you are right about that.

BUT, Im a little confused when you say Asian countries....theres already China....I think something NEW and ENTIRELY different than what is already there. I Think thailand would kind of be a repeat of China...But thats just my opinion.

Zawadi
11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
This might be a little off topic.

UK is short for "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Great Britain consisting of (in alphabetical order) England, Scotland and Wales.

I suppose that a case could be made for Ireland if you're referring to the Republic of Ireland (Eire or Southern Ireland) especially if you like the dark beers Guinness from Dublin or Murphys and Beamish from Cork. :cheers:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I voted Ireland, but all of them would be neat to see around the Showcase.:mickey:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP ( 19 days to go ):)

mcjaco
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
BUT, Im a little confused when you say Asian countries....theres already China....I think something NEW and ENTIRELY different than what is already there. I Think thailand would kind of be a repeat of China...But thats just my opinion.

There's four European contries, and Norway. And only China. That's my point. Asia, Africa, and especially South America, are very unrepresented.

Wickster1970
11-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I voted for Russia. It is so vast and historical that it would be a perfect fit :mickey:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I voted for Russia but everyone of those countries you put on the poll would be great. Greece, Egypt, and Spain were very close for me also.

kemps@wdw
11-05-2008, 04:11 PM
:drama: Alas...I, too, do not see myself traveling internationally. (unless I win the lottery :funny: ) Therefore, Epcot may be the closest I get! After a great deal of thought, :scratch: I decided on Greece. The architecture, the history, and the food! What's not to love? :cloud9:

Dragongirlx
11-06-2008, 04:55 AM
[QUOTE=mcjaco;1775444]You guys do realize that the United Kingdom does represent a litle of Ireland and Scotland too?

Yes the UK does consist of England, Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland but the pavillion at Epcot doesn't. It is 99% england with a tiny splash of the other countries included.

Ireland is a country in its own right and would make a great pavillion. However despite being from Northern Ireland I voted for Scotland as I live here now and I think it would be a great Pavillion (see my earlier post) especially if we ever get Independence

DisneyBabies
11-06-2008, 09:24 AM

UK is short for "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Great Britain consisting of (in alphabetical order) England, Scotland and Wales.

Yes, I do realize that the REAL UK does include Scotland and Ireland, but the pp was right, World Showcase UK is 99% England and I thought people might want to see more of Ireland or Scotland in WS. Afterall, when most people go to the UK in WS, they call it the England Pavillion because that is what it looks like.

PixiePrincess
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Egypt would be awesome! With the pyramids and the sphinx, how cool would that be?!

bkfree
11-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I voted for Russia. We have traveled there 3 times and if offers everything that would make it a perfect addition to WS.
First, the architecture is breathtaking and would be easy to replicate.
The history is also captivating.
Russia has given much to the art in terms of dance, music, and literature.
The Handcrafted items that are indiginous to Russia are many and exquisite and would make for great artistic exhibits to watch it being made as well as huge souviner potential.
Russia is also know for some wonderful foods and dishes that all would enjoy eating.
Then you have the vodkas that would make a great Vodka Bar attraction.
On top of all of this you the Many Many fairy tales that are Russian in origin that would make for lots of cool characters.
Ivan and the Gray Wolf
White Duckling
The Frog Queen
FireBird
The Enchanted Princess
And many others.

mcjaco
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Yes the UK does consist of England, Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland but the pavillion at Epcot doesn't. It is 99% england with a tiny splash of the other countries included.

Look, all I'm saying is that there are regions far less represented that I think would better fit the bill for WS. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy Ireland or Scotland.

It's just that they've already very lightly covered those countries within the UK pavilion, so adding them as seperate pavilions doesn't make sense in many ways. Unless, of course, one of them wants to pony up the cash for Disney to crate them. ;)

Dragongirlx
11-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Look, all I'm saying is that there are regions far less represented that I think would better fit the bill for WS. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy Ireland or Scotland.

It's just that they've already very lightly covered those countries within the UK pavilion, so adding them as seperate pavilions doesn't make sense in many ways. Unless, of course, one of them wants to pony up the cash for Disney to crate them. ;)

Sorry didn't mean to nag or make you feel bad I just get a bit touchy about this because a lot of people around the world think that England is all there is to the UK.
I would love an Egypt pavillion too

Daddy Mouse
11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Japan (Asia)
Mexico (North America)
Morocco (North Western Africa)
Norway (Europe)
France (Europe)
China (Asia)
United Kingdom (Europe)
Germany (Europe)
Canada (North America)
Italy (Europe)
United States (North America)

I voted for Australia, with that being said I would also like to see Russia, or some South American Countries as well as Greece and Middle Eastern Countries.

I guess I want it all!!

Disneyfan1971
11-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I voted for Australia...I think since the 2000 Sydney games people have been fascinated with Australia. It may or may not fit in with World Showcase but hey!!!

Once upon a time I heard rumors that Spain might be making its appearance...that would be nice too.

mcjaco
11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorry didn't mean to nag or make you feel bad I just get a bit touchy about this because a lot of people around the world think that England is all there is to the UK.
I would love an Egypt pavillion too

You weren't nagging. Unless you're my mother.....:D

I'ev been to Scotland, I loved it. I just don't think it's the next country that should be added. ;)