PDA

View Full Version : I know it's my own fault, but...

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
11-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I can't get any reservations I wanted for the first week of December.:( I waited too long! I wanted my kids, DD7 and DS5, to help in selecting our dining choices, but I didn't want to do it too soon and have them go crazy waiting. So, thinking it wouldn't be that difficult to get reservations for a supposedly not so crowded week, I waited until the 30 day point to start planning with the kids. I tried for lunch or dinner at Sci-Fi, breakfast at Chef Mickey's, dinner at O'Hana, lunch at Le Cellier, breakfast at Cape May, breakfast at Tusker House. They are all completely booked from Dec. 2nd - Dec. 7th. And now, not only am I disappointed because I couldn't get ressies, but I am worried about crowds! Thankfully we aren't on the DP or I would be sick about it! Hopefully we will be able to capitalize on some cancellations! Wish us luck!

bkfree
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
We are also going then, Dec 3-10th, and I am glad that we made our ressies at about 160 days out. We have changed some a few times since then. I learned on our last trip that low crowds does not translate into open ADR's. So many use the DDP and everyone is on to the ADR ressie now. Even though we went in Jan during a very low crowd times and the parks were had very low density and almost no waiting on rides, the restaurants were a different story. Most all had 1-2 hour waits, that was IF they were accepting walk ups at all.
I was very glad that my Disney Type A Planning personality had coerced me into making our ADR's early for that trip. That is what taught me to do the same this time around.

Here are my tips to you.
First be more open on places and times.
Make a list of your days on paper and get on the phone to WDW Dining. Start with the first day and ask what is open or start with a specific restaurant and ask what they have available anytime during your stay and go from there.
There are so many great places to eat, that none are really "must dos" to have a great time.
This will be our 3rd trip and we have yet to eat at all the places and even after this trip there are many we have yet to try for future trips.

Take the ADR's you can get. Then just keep calling every day, several times a day for those you really want but did not get. Even after you arrive at WDW. I have found the best time to call is in the evening about 1 hour to 30 minutes before they close.
Good luck and keep trying.

11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, Kim. I will definitely be calling Dining again. The worst part of the situation is that I WAS being very flexible with days, times and locations. The places that I thought we'd like to try are all TOTALLY booked - for the whole week. I would have expected that during free dining, but not this week. Oh well - a lesson learned the hard way. Thankfully we are quite happy with CS meals most of the time. And we did get a Cape May dinner which we love and a Trails End lunch which will be a new one for us. And I will keep my fingers crossed that cancellations and walk ups will come our way!

henry.james.s
11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Yep keep trying. I'll be there from the 1st to the 10th and got my ressies 180 out.
If you get to Epcot early go right to guest relations to check what's available that day. I've had good luck for last minute stuff there.
Good luck!! :D

kakn7294
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Sometimes times will open up as people cancel their trips around the 45 day mark when payment for packages is due. Keep trying, even up to the same day when you arrive at the park as well as walk-ups. Utilize resort concierge too - you just never know and you might get lucky!

thumperbug
11-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Don't give up!!!! If you have to call every day...do it.

I've seen in MK when you walk past CIty Hall they have a sign that tells you what table service restaurants still have availability that day.

Also try eating at off times. Like last lunch or first dinner.

brian2000boston
11-03-2008, 07:51 PM
This past trip we struggled with getting several ressies. I called daily sometime twice a day and in the end we got everyone we wanted. If you are persistent, you will get them. Good luck!!

DizneyRox
11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
A LOT of people are finding that between Turkey Day and Present Day is a great time to hit the parks. It is quickly becoming a peak season in terms of guests.

The bad news is that most of these people already probably had too much into the vacation to warrant cancelling in this economy. But Disney IS seeing a significant drop off in terms of reservations for next year, etc.

Your best bet is to keep trying, but also, make other arrangments so you at least have someplace to eat. You can always change them later, but it's better right now to get something.

henry.james.s
11-03-2008, 09:57 PM
It's really not so much of a crowd increase as it is the increase in the use of the various dining plans and hence more ADR's.
The same thing with the 2nd week in Jan to the end of the 1st week in Feb.

RockinRollerMom
11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
It's really not so much of a crowd increase as it is the increase in the use of the various dining plans and hence more ADR's.

I totally agree. This seems to be a very popular time for DVC owners and people who LOVE Disney to go. These people are often using the DDE or the DDP.

I also agree that the word is getting out about what a wonderful time of year this is to visit, but I am hopeful that the crowds will still be relatively low. I have read a number of reports that claim that even though reservations for on-site property is close to near full for this time, that off property hotels reservations are low.

Keep on trying for your ADR's. Things do open up. Also, you may want to look into some other TS restaurants that might have availability. You may be pleasantly surprised. Good Luck!

dtootsie42
11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Don't give up. As somebody else said call everyday if necessary and just keep being flexible. Things do open up and I bet you'll get something. Sending some :pixie: your way!

bkfree
11-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Good Point RocknRollerMom about the off site properties being very empty during this time.
I have noticed lots of deals , flyers and emails from off site hotels during Dec, Jan and Feb. So even if the resorts are full, you don't have the added crowds from off site.

I also think we are like many. The first trip we took 4 years ago we only made ADR's at 2 places, the next trip 2 years ago we did the DDP for 5 days and made 5 ADR's and for our upcoming Dec. trip we again have the DDP for and have made 8 ADR's for all 8 nights.

mudpuppysmom
11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
We're going Dec 10-16 and my sister thought we could just eat wherever, whenever.....I tried to tell her and she told me if my family wanted to eat somewhere specific to make ADR's and she and the girls would do something on their own....so that is what I did. I only made three ADR's though b/c I didn't want to just leave them hanging on their own, since we're going as a family! When she saw where we were eating she changed her mind, so I called and added them to two of the three ADR's.

Sometimes you can get lucky walking up (we have before), but you can also be told nothing is available or you might have to wait for some outrageouls period of time.

I kept calling to get the CP package restaurant DH wanted (Tokyo Dining) and it took me three calls to get dinner (he wanted dinner specifically). His second choice was Teppan Edo and my choice was Biergarten (which I got on my first call). Yes, be flexible and keep calling!! You might be pleasantly surprised and get what you want, when you want in the end!!

If you don't get what, when don't let that ruin your time -- there is way too much other stuff to see and do!! I know dining is important to alot of people, but you'll eat.:D

thrillme
11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I really wish all the ADR thing would go away and you just go back to either walk-ups or make reservations for the "day" of.

bkfree
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I really wish all the ADR thing would go away and you just go back to either walk-ups or make reservations for the "day" of.

Oh such Blasphemy!:goodbad:

ADR's are what makes my trip more relaxed because I do not have to think, worry or wait in regards to dinner. I know that we will have a good meal and at a specific time with little to no waiting. I can't do with my ADR's.

And making that phone call at 180-160 days out is our first step toward our trip.
Getting my schedule drawn on paper, a good pen and a cup of coffee the morning I call after the kids have gone to school and hubby has gone to work gives me a little Disney shiver.

thumperbug
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I like knowing I have ADRs for at least 1 sit down meal a day. I need the inside-sitdown more then the food...lol We also like to do a character meal or 2 so those you must has ADRs for and then there are certain restaurants we just enjoy going to. But we always make sure to try at least 1 new restaurant to expand our dining horizons

mattandmandy
11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
To repeat what everyone else is saying....keep trying! We are going that same week and I also waited to late to start making reservations. I called back every single day in the morning and evening for 1 week and was finally able to get a reservation at Chef Mickeys. I was SO happy. There are a couple more I am still calling back about hoping to get a table but as of now we have good reservations almost everyday. Chef MIckeys was the main one I was looking to get though. So keep trying!!

SFTrny
11-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Regardless of what you wind up with...enjoy the trip and don't be stressed or disappointed. Remember, with or without dining reservations....you are at WDW!

DisneyFr33k
11-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Oh such Blasphemy!:goodbad:

ADR's are what makes my trip more relaxed because I do not have to think, worry or wait in regards to dinner. I know that we will have a good meal and at a specific time with little to no waiting. I can't do with my ADR's.

And making that phone call at 180-160 days out is our first step toward our trip.
Getting my schedule drawn on paper, a good pen and a cup of coffee the morning I call after the kids have gone to school and hubby has gone to work gives me a little Disney shiver.

:ditto: Without ADR's, it would create more anxiety about being a certain place at a certain time and factoring in wait time etc. There are already too many lines and some impatient people to deal with. Having this one certainty makes the trip much more relaxing. I do the same - call as soon as I can. This year, we made our DW plans 5 months out. We made our park plans and tables service selections and Ohana was already booked for the week we visited. Oh well! Good Luck! :mickey:

irish1967
11-09-2008, 01:49 PM

I remember HAVING to get up and get to the park at rope drop - not to get to a popular, but so we could RUN to the reservation kiosk at EPCOT to get a resservation for a TS meal that day.

I'll call at 7:00 am 180 days out rather than to have to deal with that again!

Mom be persistent - it will all work out!

DisneyLoversx4
11-12-2008, 05:37 AM
I would have expected that during free dining, but not this week.

I hate to tell you but that week is free dining. We got a flyer in the mail for free dining for the very end of November and most of December! We will be there Dec.13-21 with free dining. It was also offered to Disney Visa card holders!

mrmcgiv
11-12-2008, 09:08 AM
little in the way of reservations. i called all week, esp at night and got a pretty decent line up..but I have some I would like to adjust b/c we are eating late or it os not the place i wanted and this week i am trying agian and have had NO luck. I ask for like 20 different ressies and nothing!! I want a b-fast on 12/15 with a choice of 5 places..nothing! And I can't get a reservation at 1900 park fare at all!!!!!!!!! AND our week is NOT included in the free dining..so go figure. Good luck and keep trying

harlowandthemermaid
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Good luck and keep trying! I too am in the same boat, we usually only book our trips about 2 months out so we have a hard time getting into the places that we like. This time around we have not been able to get into any character meals, especially now that they took away some. My 17 month old loves Mickey and we were really looking forward to a chef Mickey's breakfast so maybe someone will cancel. Who knows....
WE are also first week of december so I will cross my fingers for you as well :)
WE couldn't even get into the Coral Reef for lunch at Epcot, that one really suprised me.

The dining plans have made it harder to book last minute. IN years prior to the plan we could get into most places with little notice but it seems like in the years since they have started the dining plans, it is not possible to plan last minute and get into the most popular restaurants.

Good luck!

bkfree
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I remember HAVING to get up and get to the park at rope drop - not to get to a popular, but so we could RUN to the reservation kiosk at EPCOT to get a resservation for a TS meal that day.

Mom be persistent - it will all work out!

Oh yes, I well remember those days. We went to WDW not long after we were married and right after Epcot opened and you began each day standing in line at Epcot trying to make a lunch or dinner ressie for that day. Then do it all over again the next day. I certainly do not want to go back to that. No matter how annoying the ADR thing gets, no one wants to revert back to how they originially did it.
You couldn't really walk up back then either.

DisneyLoversx4
11-14-2008, 05:45 AM
I dont know if anyone read my earlier post, but there is free dining during the time everyone is talking about. We are going Dec.13-21 with FREE DINING!!! It was not open to the general public,(we got a post card addresed to my mother for free dining and were able to use it during November(after Thanksgiving) and until the week before Christmas!It was also open to Disney Visa card holders. That is probaly why everyone is having such a hard time getting reservations. I tried for ADR'S the middle of October and could not get 1800 Park Fare, Chef Mickey, LeCellier or any Fantasmic packages!!:sob:

DisneyLoversx4
11-14-2008, 05:50 AM
AND our week is NOT included in the free dining.

I got a post card in the mail for free dining during your week and we will be there with free dining so I do not know where you got your info!

mrmcgiv
11-14-2008, 01:55 PM
was not offered to the general public or disney visa holders..but offered to select recipients of the post card with a pin code. I had been watching and hoping to change to free dining for our stay but with NO LUCK! There was an offer of free dining from some date thru 12/6 and then 12/14 through some date. 12/6 - 12/14 has been excluded in every public offer I have seen here onm intercot or elsewhere. I think we are actually going different weeks with just 2 days overlap. I believe our week is the Pop Warner week and there were not any general free dining offers since it was Pop Warner. We were lucky enough to get a pincode and book at a great rate back in March. So we are both in a good position, you with free dining and me with 40% off of our room! Free dining would have save up $200 extra..oh well.

Good Luck and enjoy your free dining!!!:thumbsup:

I got a post card in the mail for free dining during your week and we will be there with free dining so I do not know where you got your info!

11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I have been calling and calling and I was able to get a 3rd ADR - I got Sci Fi for lunch. We have never eaten there so I am looking forward to it. Thanks to all for your advice and well wishes!

mom2morgan
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I hate to tell you but that week is free dining. We got a flyer in the mail for free dining for the very end of November and most of December! We will be there Dec.13-21 with free dining. It was also offered to Disney Visa card holders!

What?? ...we are there from the 10th to the 19th, and paying full price for dining. That actually ticks me off to think that the parks may be more crowded, restaurant ressies may be tighter, and I am NOT benefitting in any way.

mrmcgiv
11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
See my post 2 above. The free dining had been offered some date thru 12/6 and then it was not valid 12/6-12/14 Then it was valid from 12/14-12/20. We are going 12/7-12/15 and do not have free dining. I do not know if there was any promo for free dining during those dates offered to the general public, but I do not think there was...I could be wrong. i think DisneyloverX4 must have gottem a pincode offer. But there was free dining available to the general public from 12/14-12/20..I think it is still available..see the sticky above. Good Luck

What?? ...we are there from the 10th to the 19th, and paying full price for dining. That actually ticks me off to think that the parks may be more crowded, restaurant ressies may be tighter, and I am NOT benefitting in any way.