PDA

View Full Version : Flying With "The Dress"...

mickeys_princess_mom
11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Haven't ever flown to the Magic with a long, fluffy princess dress on a hanger before...How do I handle this on Southwest? Not checking it, so any ideas?...
:plane: :princess:

BrerGnat
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Ask the crew if there is a closet you can hang it in. Most airplanes have a closet on board. If you ask nicely, they may let you hang it up for the flight. This is what my mom did with my wedding dress for our flight from CA to FL when I got married at WDW. :thumbsup: Otherwise, you should arrange to lay it on TOP of the bags in the overhead bin, after everyone has put stuff in there, before it is shut. Ask a flight attendant for help. People do this all the time. I'm sure they will help you figure something out.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Ask the crew if there is a closet you can hang it in. Most airplanes have a closet on board. If you ask nicely, they may let you hang it up for the flight. This is what my mom did with my wedding dress for our flight from CA to FL when I got married at WDW. :thumbsup: Otherwise, you should arrange to lay it on TOP of the bags in the overhead bin, after everyone has put stuff in there, before it is shut. Ask a flight attendant for help. People do this all the time. I'm sure they will help you figure something out.

Thanks very much! Does this count as my one "carryon bag" (besides my purse)?

Ian
11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Normally they won't count it as carryon, no.

Men do this all the time with suit jackets when they travel.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Normally they won't count it as carryon, no.

Men do this all the time with suit jackets when they travel.

Thank you very much.

NotaGeek
11-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Thank you very much.
You should definitely call the airline to check this rule, the personal item + 1 is pretty strictly adhered to by most airlines and it would be horrible for you to get to check in and be forced to check something you hadn't planned on checking (Southwest is the most forgiving of all the airlines when it comes to rules though). Southwest's phone number is 1-800-435-9792.

offwego
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I will say that southwest still includes free check in of two bags. So if you had other stuff (not your purse of course!) that you could choose to check instead of the dress I would do that.

Personally I've never understood not checking baggage vs cramming it all but then even with some mysterious ray gun I doubt I could shrink all the shoes I require for a week into a carry on and still have clothes.