PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Le Cellier?

TikiGoddess
11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

Le Cellier is often mentioned as a favorite dining spot by Disney fans. Can someone explain why? We've never been there but are considering it for our next trip.

Thanks!
TikiG

Pastcastmemberdaughter
11-01-2008, 03:40 PM
My DH and I love to eat there for a couple of reasons. First off the food is absolutely wonderful. Our favorites are the steaks because they have a lot of flavor and are very moist and the Chedder Cheese Soup. The soup is a must for us. The dining room itself is gorgous as well. We've never really had a problem with service either. It's expensive but well worth it to us. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
11-01-2008, 04:34 PM
We've encountered some of the best servers there. We've never felt rushed and they were very friendly and attentive. The food is great - we've liked everything we've had there.

henry.james.s
11-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I guess I'm the other side of the coin. The food is OK...better than some but as a steakhouse goes I've has as good at Outback and VERY much better by my own hand. In the few times I've been there it's the service that was the big turnoff. I've had very bad luck in getting servers who had an attitude or were basicly indifferent all together. The last time I was there I was seated and no one spoke to me at all..no drink order taken & not even a menu to look at so I just walked out.
I haven't been back since. With every experience not what I'd call "disney like" I don't feel compelled to give them another chance.

Dopey's Girl
11-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I have loved Le Cellier on all my previous visits...the food is great and the dining room is really cute and cozy. We ate there last trip though, and I was far less impressed. The quality of the steak I had wasn't what it should have been, and the servers all seemed distracted and not at their best. While I wouldn't write it off, I think it's going to be a while before I try for another ressie there.

SBETigg
11-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I think it's very good, but overrated. If you're looking for a really special meal, try one of the signature dining restaurants-- far and above Le Cellier for food and service to our experience. We had a very unfriendly server at Le Cellier, so maybe it tainted our meal somewhat. The food was delicious, definitely one of our better one credit dining experiences, but still pretty basic as far as our culinary expectations.

andreallybadeggs
11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I've posted a few times about Le Cellier being overrated. Have only been there twice but both times thought the food and service were fine but not wonderful.
It does have a very faithful following of intercotees, though, so I would not discourage you from giving it a try. Have a great trip!

RedSoxFan
11-01-2008, 10:20 PM
We had dinner for the first time at LeCellier a week ago during our stay. It was great; but not as great as they hype. I had steak; but I thought my steak at Raglan Road was so much better. I'm glad I tried LeCellier; but I won't be running back to it.

LudwigVonDrake
11-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I ate there only once for lunch a couple of years ago and it was a great meal. The steak was great and it was one of the best meals I had that trip :tasty:

Ropachs
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
We ate there for lunch last Sunday. I agree the dining room atmosphere was very nice. I think we all had the filet. I thought the flavor of it - and the mashed potatoes was excellent. Unfortunately, our server did have a bit of an attitude so that put a little damper on the meal...still, we would try it again.

Zawadi
11-02-2008, 02:51 PM
We would have loved the chance to find out what's so great about Le Cellier, but we couldn't get an ADR for Dinner for the whole 2 weeks we were at WDW.
We took fellow Intercoters advice and tried to book 180 days in advance, but there were no tables for 2 available the entire 2 weeks. Are there not many small tables?
There was no point phoning for cancellations, as the transatlantic phone calls would have cost way too much.
Guess we'll just have to wait until our next visit (probably Dec 2010) to try the Cheddar Cheese Soup:(

TheRustyScupper
11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
We had dinner for the first time at LeCellier a week ago during our stay. It was great; but not as great as they hype.

1) Good evaluation.
2) It is small and easily booked/overbooked.
3) That starts the hype about quality & service.
. . . you can't get ADR's easily
. . . therefore, it must be popular
. . . therefore, it must be good
. . . therefore, even if mediocre, one thinks it is very good
. . . therefore, it is human nature to just "jump on the band wagon"
4) At some point, perception becomes reality.
5) Le Cellier reached that point.

NOTE: I am not saying that Le Cellier is bad, but it certainly does not warrant its hype.

ILoveLegos
11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd say it's the atmosphere and the food. This is the one resturant where my dad always stops (after visiting O' Canada) peruses the menu and inquires at the podium able a walk-up seating. We've been all times of year and he's never gotten a seat here (believe it or not some of us locals still try to get a walk up when we're in the park). Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise, othertimes - we leave the property to dine elsewhere - we're very flexible.
That said - I got a coveted reservation last October for lunch. We skipped the Cheddar Cheese soup (because it was being offered out at the F&WF). We concentrated on the steak. It was a cozy little resturant. The tables were close together. The dining room was interesting and company (my mom) was great. Then our steaks came. Suddenly all the previously mentioned things faded into the back ground and the "angels sang" voila - that steak was like budda (butter {meaning oh, so good}- for those of you outside the NJ Tri-state area). What a steak, the service was excellent. It was great, the only thing missing was my dad, oh well now he knows! We'll be back again soon this time with a ressie, too!

DisneyFan1979
11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
We've eaten there twice for lunch, the first time I had a steak sandwich, the second time a filet mignon. Both were cooked wonderfully, not tough or overcooked. My family also really likes the breadsticks, especially the pretzel bread. We've always had good service too (Although I might add that we've never had bad service in WDW. Overall, we've always had sufficiently friendly service and received our meals promptly).

MauiMouse
11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I have eaten here 3 times, each time I have throughly enjoyed my lunch or dinner. The Cheddar Cheese soup is to die for, you can get it outside during the Food & Wine Festival too. The breadsticks are great too. I like the Filet Mignon and the risotto. I also had a very delicious Maple Crème Brulee for dessert. I would recommend LeCellier. :thumbsup:

Dulcee
11-02-2008, 08:32 PM
One of the biggest parts of our trips to WDW is food! And a few years ago we were pleasantly surprised when we dined at Le Cellier after not getting a reservation anywhere else. We've kept going back ever since and have yet to have a poor meal. In my humble opinion it is the best table service in Epcot...

Maleficent's Dad
11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Le Cellier... such a simple formula, yet it seems impossible to replicate.

They serve good food - at times, very good food - but not "great food" - and because they are "the best game in town," they have become the most popular restaurant in WDW!!!

We have had nothing but good experiences at Le Cellier, and we have dined there A LOT! In fact, DW told me not to book it for our upcoming trips in January and February because our family needs "something new!"

It's good. Great? Probably not.

You take a few "novelty items," such as breadsticks (pretzel, multi-grain, and sour dough), cheese soup, and good (not outstanding) steaks, and voila - you have a popular place!

Le Cellier is very good for what it does. It serves hundreds (thousands?) of people daily in a theme park, and it does it well.

Is it over-rated? Definitely.
Is it very good? Definitely.
Is it worth it? Debatable.
Does my family return there time and again? Yes
Look around EPCOT's WS. If you find a place you like better, go there. Most of the places in the WS are very good - even with mixed reviews.

We very much enjoy Le Cellier, but off the top of my head, I can list several places within WDW that we prefer.

GBBT
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
My family(Mom,2 sisters,2 brother-in-laws and their kids,8 all together) raved about the place last year while there in November.They were on the DDP.We went the week before Christmas and had ADRs for Cellier.We were not impressed,food okay,service horrible.We told the waitress we were on the DDP and that's all it took not to get good service since tip was already included:mad:.Now on our 1st night we ate at the Concourse at the Contemporary and it was outstanding.Our waitress,Claudia,went above and beyond any service we have ever had at DW.She got an extra tip on top of the 18%.:thumbsup:

JPL
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Le Cellier use to be much better before the DDP and now it's living on it's reputation more than anything else. The menu lost it's variety and the portion sizes are much smaller now. The service has dropped off since the restaurant is overbooked and and the servers are over worked. This is one of the places that went from a a must do to a if I can get an ADR ok but I don't go out of my way to try. I was really disappointed on my last visit in 2007.

Seasonscraps
11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I was there once and thought it was ok and wouldn't go back. My steak wasn't cooked to order (red rare when I ordered it medium well) which is a pet peeve of mine when places known for steaks can't cook to order. I ended up waiting a while for it to be cooked more - that pretty much ruins the taste - and watched my DH eat first, then he watched me. The cast member was not very nice about it either.

I wouldn't say not to go, you may have a much better experience and more enjoyable meal.

Ksmith75
11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
My DH and I love this place. We went there for the first time last year and are going again next year. The food was great, loved the mushrooms! Our server was so nice and wonderful. The atmosphere is nice, it is cool and dark - a nice respite from the glaring sun.....we love it.

SAHDad
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
We went last time, and thought the food was good. Maybe not great (except for the soup!), but certainly good, and we liked the ambiance and the overall theme. For our next trip, DW and I wanted a nice dinner there for just the two of us (for which we have ADRs), but, if we hadn't been able to get them, we would have chosen someplace else without too much sadness - after all, we have the recipe for the soup, and Disney has a lot of great restuarants.

disneychick62
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
i dont really know what the hype is about. i never ate there, but from what im gathering, Raglan Road is way better , food and price wise . its Disneys best kept secret!!:secret:

KylesMom
11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Great appetizers, wine pairings, sides and of course steaks is what keeps us going back to LeCellier year after year. DH is a medium well type of guy, and both DS and I are medium rare. We've never had a problem with receiving our steaks the way we ordered them. We usually eat dinner twice at this establishment during our 15-day stay.

This year we finally saved a bit of room for the desserts, and they were delectable as well! :mickey:

Now, DS would be VERY disappointed if I didn't mention how great their pretzel bread is . . . :D

disneychick62
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
ahahaha! just noticed where your from...Sandwich, Il. thats funny considering this thread.:thumbsup:

Katzateer
11-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I haven't eaten there for years.

The first time I remember the food was good but the service wasn't great. It was just me and my daughter.

The second time there was a bigger group of us and the service and the food was good.

The third time I tryed to go was on my solo birthday trip. The staff was extremely rude and I actually didn't even stay to eat. That was the only place during my short trip I felt uncomfortable being a solo diner.

Haven't gone back and don't plan to this trip.

Natazu
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I think it gets all the hype because it's excellent for 1TS on the dining plan. If you ask people what their favorite restaurant is, you're gonna get Le Cellier, 'Ohana, Boma, and Kona. Are these places the best at WDW, no, but they're pretty good. They are very popular for families on Dining Plan and people on a budget and as a rule, that's the majority of the populous.

Villains0501
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
This restaurant has great food and great atmosphere, but the wait can be hours so make reservations early!!!

Diznee4Me
11-06-2008, 01:29 PM
We've eaten there a couple of times, will eat there again this year, but I am just as happy eating a taco salad at El Pirita y el Perico or at the Coronado.

The DW and DD really like the steaks/restaurant so I have no problem booking it for them - and of course I am going to eat!

Mackflava99
11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
excellent atmosphere, the food is very good- selections are also different from other places. its worth trying-

Aggie97
11-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with others who said Le Cellier is good but not great. The cheddar cheese soup is delicious, but I feel there are other WDW restaurants with much better steaks, service and atmosphere. :mickey:

Disneyfan1971
11-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Wasn't LeCellier once a cafeteria style restaurant? If it's the same place i'm thinking of it was a self-service line type of place. Unless it's an entirely different building. But if it's the same place we're definitely going to eat there.

tigger_ttfn
11-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I think the atmosphere is great and the filet is really good. We go every trip for dinner but this time I could only get lunch :(

I this is probably one of the best 1TS steaks, yes, the signature dining is probably better but it is 2 TS.

That said, I have always had the dining plan and don't think that I would ever pay OOP for this restaurant. But, I'm just cheap! :secret:

princessgirls
11-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Our family has always enjoyed our meal here. Good food, good wine, and fun desserts (S'More anyone). We look forward to it, and we have never been disappointed.
I guess it's just tradition!
Julie:mickey:

irish1967
11-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm in the "not worth the hype camp."

Food was pretty good - service very poor.

We won't be going back.

kemps@wdw
11-09-2008, 10:12 PM
The atmosphere was warm and cozy. The service was fine. DH says his food was great, mine was OK. A little pricey (IMHO) for the amount of food you get. Not a must-do for us on each trip but, worth a try.:mickey: