PDA

View Full Version : what age to take child to disney for first time

SplashFan01
10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
my daughter is 9 months, and my wife and I are thinking about taking her to WDW for her first time for her second birthday. i want some opinions- is this too soon? what have your experiences with children this age been like? and basically is this a good idea or should we wait until shes older? Thanks!

LittleRoosMommy
10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I think that every child is different and it's something that you will have to gauge. Personally, we took our DD4 for the first time when she was 15months and we had a great trip!! In fact, she even remembers somethings from that trip! She was able to ride everything in fantasyland, loved all the parades, shows and fireworks! She also LOVED all the characters!! We have some of the cutest pictures from that trip!! We were able to push her a little too! She would sleep for a couple of hours every afternoon in her stroller!

We took our DD2 for the first time when she was 14 months old. She is a very different personality than my older DD. She didn't really care for the characters, wasn't really that into the rides. She did really enjoy all the parades and fireworks though. With that being said, we did have a really good trip with her! We just had to do things that she really enjoyed and altered our original plans. Which was not a big deal! Sometimes, DH and I would split up with him taking one and me taking the other, so that each of them got some one on one time to do what they liked!

I am a definite believer in trying things w/ your kids because you'll never really know until you try how they are going to react. So, I say definitely take her while she is young! Just be ready to take breaks during the day if you need and be very flexible and do what she is going to like or what she needs to do. And remember if you don't see everything, there's always next time!!:mickey:

KylesMom
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
DS was 27 months the first time we took him to Disney. It wasn't a planned thing - his room was decorated in all Disney characters, and when they started the Millenium commercials he'd see the TV and repeat "ICKEY-ICKEY-ICKEY's HOUSE". Although DH and I had decided on our honeymoon that a kid needed to be 8 or 10 their first trip, :D we caved & decided to take our first family trip with DS in tow to Disney World in May of 2000.

We thought it would be a once-until-he's-a-preteen trip. What it was - was magical. He loved the characters, the Fantasyland rides, the parades, the Star Wars characters we ran into . . . you get the idea. It was a wonderful experience for us all. Thinking of that time way back when still brings tears to my eyes.

Needless to say, we've been back every year since. Now DS is almost 11, and his love of Disney is still strong!

As LittleRoosMommy stated, each child will react differently. DS was intimidated by some of the darker rides and shows where there is no height restriction, but overall it was a wonderful age to introduce him to The World! :mickey: Just be prepared to go at your child's pace and realize that commando style isn't the way to go.

Faver
10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Our DS was a bit on the older side for his first visit. He was 7 years old. Not that you should wait that long...in comparison, I was 4 on my first visit, and still remember so much. But when my DS was 2, he would have been too overwhelmed with the crowds, lines, characters, the rides etc. He just wasn't very adventurous, and a bit fearful. We were able to tell that when he was around 2-3 years old. So we thought it best to wait.

I was just the opposite as a child. So personality does really play a part. But since your DD is still young, you have time to watch how she relates to crowds, and other situations. Perhaps she's more the adventurer too:mickey:

gwfx1031
10-30-2008, 02:22 PM
We took our daughter for the first time when she was 15 months and we had a great time. She was pretty fearless and took it all in. My son first went at about 2 and he was pretty ugn shy about a lot of stuff, so kids do differ. Do not worry so much about how much she will remember but rather the great memories you will have sharing the time together.

cajunprincess
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM
We took our DS at 22 months. He was not scared to ride anything. He was able to do so much more than I expected he could. He had a wonderful time. We did have to deviate a lot, naps, time away from the business, but over all, we are very glad that we decided to take him. Now Baby #2 (:cloud9:) is on the way, and hopefully we will be able to take him around the same time.

CosmicRay
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
We took DD and DS for their first time when they were 2 and 3. They did great, we have friends that took their kids as young as 6 mo. We now have a little one and she will be 9 mo when we go.

A good tip is to take pics and videos, and after we came back, they wanted to see that video over and over again. That kept the memories fresh and fun to see! Now the kids are now 6 and 7 and they went back last year they still ask to see the videos from their first time and this last visit.

If you were taking your child once, then I would say maybe wait till they are older so they can remember more. But if you are planning to take them more in the future, then I'd say start the fun, memories and traditions now.

DawsonAR
10-30-2008, 03:01 PM
My son's first trip was for his 4th birthday. It was a good time, however, we did have to do breaks in the afternoon. There were times during the trip I wondered if we did the right thing. It was a good choice, but we had to do things at a slower speed and did much less than previous trips. Now he is 7 and things are easier, but still not like traveling with teenagers or adults. We just relax, have fun and do what we feel like doing.

dmosher
10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
I know I'll get blasted for this, but I just don't see the point of taking a very small infant to WDW. The sheer inconvenience of it troubles me; plus I just don't see it being a healthy environment for small babies. I have seen some children in the parks that were so small and wrinkled you would swear they were just born a few days ago. It just doesn't seem right. I would say 5-6 personally. That way it is worth the money since they may actually remember the trip. Anything under that and I would feel guilty, since I would only be making the trip for myself, not the child.
:pipes:
D

LandFan
10-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I think some of the greatest joy in taking a small child to Disney is the smiles on their faces. :mickey:

Even if they don't remember it, you will and those memories will be priceless! :cloud9:

Besides, grownups are kids too and deserve to have some fun - which, as long as you are careful and thoughtful parents, many can pull off quite well!

tink2006
10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I agree, every child is different. Only you can judge the best time for your child. We took DS for his first time just before his second b-day. His bedroom was decorated all Disney and he loved everything Disney so, in our opinion, he was ready. It was a magical time! I still remember him running up to the characters and giving them bear hugs (all but Captain Hook, he was NO,NO). We still talk about that "first" trip. I will say that, on all trips, if he was not tall enough or brave enough we skipped that ride/show. We also took afternoon breaks to nap, swim or simply cuddle.

It has been wonderful to experience WDW through the eyes of our child. Each developmental stage brought new and wonderful Disney experiences.

DS is now 16 and still loves going to Disney! I know (hopefully NOT) the day will come when he will not want to go but, for now, we are still enjoying the magic as a family unit!

Disney fans..
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
We brought our daughter to the world for her first time when she was four..she had a blast.
We would have taken her sooner if we could have, but couldn't save up the money before then. I think any age is great as long as you are capable of dealing with the stress that goes along with traveling with an infant.
Your child might not remember the vacation but you will have awesome memories..:cloud9:

WelshieLover
10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
My oldest went to Disneyland at 4 months (16 of us were attending a family wedding in CA). It was easy he napped a lot and I was nursing him and I had a lot of help. His first trip to WDW he was 4 and his brother 2. Do they remember that trip? Not really! But they had fun and we went during a time where there were few crowds. They had a great time running around Epcot exploring the nooks and crannies in the various countries. And the looks on their faces priceless. I ahve some great photos. It was not a waste of $. Do what is best for you and your family. Just go when it is not so hot. Don't rush. Take afternoon breaks. Enjoy! :mickey:

wolfhog
10-30-2008, 09:18 PM
I have a question myself concerning infants. I'll be traveling down in January with an 8mo old. Are there any rides a child that age can go on?

mdhiggin
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
We've taken our kids from pregnancy to infancy to toddlerhood, now teenager. We enjoy the world for ourselves as much as for our kids, so we go all the time, regardless of age. We all love it, and there are things you can do there no matter the age. Sure the little ones add another level of difficulty, but it has always been worth it for us.:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
My 1st nephew was 4.5 his first time, the next was also 4.5, the next was 3.5 and the next was 2.5 and the last one was only 7 weeks old. (Not all from the same sister, but nephews from 3 different sisters). All of them were fine and with the exception of the 7 week old who is now 16 months, they have all been back more than once.
They all reacted differently to different things. That doesn't mean it was right or wrong taking them at a certain time, it just meant that they enjoy different things and what they didn't like on one visit, they may love on another trip. It should be your choice based on how you think your child will react and whether they will enjoy themself. How do they do at the Mall? Do big crowds scare them? Do they like parades and fireworks locally? Do they enjoy meeting Santa? This will give you a basis to go on. Even then it doesn't mean you can't go, you just gage how the child is reacting at that particular moment. And that could change on a daily basis. They may be petrified of the characters one day because they are tired etc, then run up to them with open arms the next day. To me, there is no wrong age.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a question myself concerning infants. I'll be traveling down in January with an 8mo old. Are there any rides a child that age can go on?

There are tons of things a baby can go on at MK especially in Fantasy land. In the Studios they can go on the Great Movie Ride, Epcot they can go on the Mexico and Norway boat rides. Even in AK they can do the safari, just hold on as it gets a little bumpy. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. They can pretty much go on anything that doesn't have a height restriction. Some things may be too loud though.

bjs6
10-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Our youngest first trip was a 2 and 1/2 (actually 2 yrs. 8 mo.) It worked out great for us. She was young enough that we didn't need to purchase theme park tickets for her but old enough that she remembers the trip. We took a stroller which she used for "power naps" in the parks.

iluvdumbo
10-30-2008, 10:19 PM
i was 4 i think when i first went to disney. i thought it was fun for a 4 year old. :mickey:
maybe younger is better to get a kid basicially ADDICTED to disney (my mom(twink93) didnt need to help me get addicted) but i wouldnt know. i think my friend was like 3 and my next door neighbors grandchildren were 5,4,and 1 for their first trip

DizRunner
10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
We're planning on taking our son for the first time in April on his 4th birthday. I think that'll be a perfect age for him.

But like someone else said, taking a younger child is not a bad idea also. The look of amazement is priceless. And like they said, even if they don't remember it...you will.

I was at WDW in January by myself for the marathon. And I'll never forget seeing this little boy (3 or so) on his daddy's shoulders watch Illuminations. It's too bad that his daddy couldn't see his face. But I could. Again, priceless.

huzzah4
10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
I would say it depends on the physical size and strength of the child. Personally, I would not want to push a stroller or carry a child all day long, so until they are able to stand and walk all day, it seems like too much trouble to me.

OctDisney
10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I think it is up the family on when to take their children.
We stated that when the boys were in 3rd and 1st grade we would go, so they could walk everywhere as well not have to watch them every minute at the pools.
We were happy to do this, but we also got a big kick out of seeing all the littler children having a blast.
I guess we have made up for it since we will be going for the 5th time in 6 years in May 2009.

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-31-2008, 10:29 AM
The Perfect Age is very different for each family and each child.

For the family who expects to go every year or two, then you may as well start young. Even if the child is "too young to enjoy", the adults are likely the kind of people who will have a blast anyway!

For people like my sister, who plans to take their kid ONCE in his life, I'd say the Perfect Age is 4-5 yrs old. At that age, they are likely to be:
*Tall enough to ride most rides (44 inches!)
*Young enough to still love the characters and fully believe in the Magic.

:mickey:

skram79
10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
We took our daughter when she turned two. She had a good time, but her favorite things were the playgrounds. She didn't care much for the characters but loved the rides in fantasyland and loved toon town. We enjoyed taking her around Disney at 2, we would break each day at noon to keep her fresh. Good tip is to drive to the parks, a tired two year old can be a pain when waiting for a bus. And some people will remain seating and watch you stand holding a child. One of my pet peeves, I can't use Disney's buses because of it. I always stand for people holding children and I am disabled with serious leg problems. Drive and you will be happier. You can bring a little 12 pack soft cooler in with you, we did with juice, milk and snacks, saved a good bit of money and time. I always bring my own stroller it is nice and padded so she can nap.

We went back when she was three last year and she really dug it. She knew all the characters and enjoyed all the rides she could get on. Three was more enjoyable then two for her, we always have a good time. We are going to take her again in February.

I hope this helps, have a great vacation!

jwallace378
10-31-2008, 03:24 PM
We took my son in April when he was 6 months. Believe it or not he had a blast. He probably won't remember much, but he smiled on every ride we took him on! We took him on PotC, IASW, Winnie, Peter Pan, Riverboat, WDW train, Mexico pavilion, and a few others that I can't remember off hand. It helps that he's a very carefree kid also! But we also had help from some family members. All in all we had a great time with our little guy. Matter of fact, he turned 1 yesterday.

teambricker04
10-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I agree... every family is different.

We took DS#1 when he was 10months and DS#2 when he was 5mo (DS#1 was nearly 3 on this trip) for their first trips. We love going to Disney with small children because it is one place where they are welcome with open arms and even catered to.

We took our youngest on every ride that his big brother went on when he was 5mo. He could face forward in a carrier and loved every single moment of the trip. It was Nov, so it was warm but not super hot. He did get a bit stinky by the end of each day due to spit up and other baby business, but he is washable and wasn't offending anyone but me.

I thought and still think the hardest time to bring a small child is when they are walking, but still don't know how to stand in line and not run away. It is a challenge to keep them entertained in lines!

I do think our eldest son will be easier on our next trip since he doesn't sit in a stroller and is potty trained. Everything that made it difficult on my DH and I was nothing we don't deal with every day or that affects anyone but us.

lindique
10-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Although I don't have any kids of my own, I have a lot of experience with my young nieces and nephews. And, as it has previously been said here, it all depends on the kid.

There are two big fears in kids that age - fear of the dark and fear of the characters. You could test your child by taking her to see Chuck E Cheese or Santa Claus,
for example, and see if she is wants to hug Chuck E. or is terrified of him. The second, fear of the dark, is very important too because most of the Fantasyland rides are actually very dark inside. If your child is okay with both of the above, you'll have a great trip!

Oh yeah, one more thing - the potty. If your daughter is newly potty trained, when she announces she has to go, she probably won't mean in 20 minutes after the ride is over or you get through the line. That's just another thing to consider.

AllDisney
10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Everyone is different. We took our daughter when she was 3 months shy of her 4th birthday. We got to the parks when they opened & stayed until they closed (she gave up naps at 2 yrs. of age). She doesn't remember anything about the trip (thank goodness for pictures), but we had a wonderful time.:mickey:

green ranger
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
We took DD3 for the first time when she was 18 months. We will never ever forget her face while she was watching the parades. She would wave her little hand from the beginning of the parade to the end. Does she herself remember this? I'm not sure, but I sure have some of the most precious memories in my mind. Needless to say, she has been back to Disney at 2 and at 3 years old. Each time has been different and so magical in its own way.
If you have the opportunity to go with your DD when she is 2, I would say go for it! It could be the best memories of your life.
It's very interesting what I have seen with my son who was 3 the first time we went. He was amazed and in awe of everything. The second time he was 4 and was into the "bigger" boy things, like the Power Rangers and Buzz. This past time, almost 5, the "magic" of the characters was disappearing. He would say, "Mommy those are just people inside costumes, right?" Don't get me wrong, he still loved the characters, but it wasn't all that little boy magic anymore.
Wow, this ended up being longer than I planned.

LauraleeH
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I was 9 months old when my parents first took me. Obviously, I don't remember anything, but my parents do! And I love the pictures of me and my chubby legs walking around outside the Haunted Mansion. I plan on taking my future children as soon as I can get them there.

andreallybadeggs
11-01-2008, 09:29 PM
If you'll enjoy it, go! Chances are the baby will have fun, too. There is plenty there to enjoy with little ones as long as you're not exhausting them in the process. I'm a firm believer in traveling with kids at a young age and it doesn't have to be far or expensive...just an overnight at grandma's or camping in a state park is a good start to helping them adapt to
being away from the routine of home.

TINKinTX
11-01-2008, 10:21 PM
After spending time at Disney with just my husband over the years, I never thought we'd take a little one when we had kids....until they were old enough to last through the day. Well, here it is......our daughter is going to be 17 months old and we can't wait to take her. She has sat through an hour long children's musical and never made a peep....church too. She is so easy-going, so we are making the leap to Disney.....mostly for the memories and pictures at Christmastime. it's her first real christmas she'll know things....and we can't wait!

adoptionislove
11-01-2008, 10:47 PM
we took our DS at 5 months. He had a smile on his ace the WHOLE time. I love to have the nay sayers tell me that is too young. BUT, we will remember that trip ALWAYS!!!!!

MinnieMommie
11-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree that all children are different. On our first trip with kids our DD was 10 months and DS almost 3 1/2. It was perfect timing for them. He was old enough to enjoy the experience and she was happy seeing the sights and sounds. They were both very well behaved so it was a great experience all around. :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
For our family it was a decisions that after their first b-day was going to be their first trip. Both our boys were 13 months when they went. It was our first son who started walking there, and running towards not away from the characters. Our second son got his first haircut there and got his first Mickey ears along with that. We have so many great memories of their first trips that it is now hard to believe that they are now 5 and 10 years old.

Insanity Clause
11-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Personally I think it depends on the child. I think for me that I wouldn't bring one under 5. We have 5 kids and we are bringing our 10,8, and 7 with us in April but leaving the 2 year old and the 4 year old with my mom. My 4 year old, whom I would actually love to bring is very fearful of things and would not enjoy this at all and the 2 year old is just too young in my opinion.

bkfree
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
We too are also more conservative on when we deemed certain places age appropriate for our children. We also try and pace things throughout their lives so far, I mean if they got and did it all by age 3, what is there to look forward to.
We did not take them to the beach when they were babies, but when they were 2, they were old enough to thoroughly enjoy the ocean and beach and we have gone every year since.
Our 2 are 2 years apart in age, so we waited until they were 4 and 6 for our first WDW trip and it was completely magical and so much fun from morning till night.
We went back 2 years later when they were 6 and 8. Our 3rd trip is coming up in Dec, they are 1 month shy of being 8 and 10.
I know some that are quite happy to take young kids everywhere and would not consider doing anything otherwise.
But I can say that ours have missed out on nothing, remember all the trips and there will be many more in their future.
I think it comes down to each child's own personality and flexibily as well as these same two attributes in Mom and Dad.
I will be honest and say that I think when you take a child that is under a year that the trip is really for the "BIG" kids more than the little ones, and that's OK too.

Tink#64
11-02-2008, 11:50 PM
We brought our daughter to the world for her first time when she was four..she had a blast.
We would have taken her sooner if we could have, but couldn't save up the money before then. I think any age is great as long as you are capable of dealing with the stress that goes along with traveling with an infant.
Your child might not remember the vacation but you will have awesome memories..:cloud9:

:ditto: We visited WDW for the first time when DS's were 4-1/2 & 6 and it was amazing! I'm not sure how much they actually remember, & how much they think they do because of all of the pictures, but we made fantastic memories! We also waited that long to save the money, & I wanted to be free of actual nap times, diapers, etc. WDW can be very overwhelming & no matter the age, tired, overwhelmed kids have meltdowns at WDW just like they do at home! I am glad we waited, but I would never discourage any one else from doing it sooner if they feel it's right for them! I have a DN that's about a year old & we are already talking about "the perfect age" for his first trip! :blush:

Disney Doll
11-03-2008, 08:04 AM
I know I'll get blasted for this, but I just don't see the point of taking a very small infant to WDW. The sheer inconvenience of it troubles me; plus I just don't see it being a healthy environment for small babies. I have seen some children in the parks that were so small and wrinkled you would swear they were just born a few days ago. It just doesn't seem right. I would say 5-6 personally. That way it is worth the money since they may actually remember the trip. Anything under that and I would feel guilty, since I would only be making the trip for myself, not the child.
:pipes:
D

Anything you do with a small child will be inconvenient so unless you plan to live like a hermit you have to just get out there. I agree that all the sights and sounds might be overwhelming for a tiny baby. We postponed our anual Febuary trip this year because we didn't want to take our then 4 month old. Instead we went in October when he was 12 months old. Yes it was more of a hassle than the trips we previosly took with just me and DH, but that's not our life anymore. I'm not really concerned about whether or not he'll remember the trip. The important thing is that we had a great time while we were there. A few others have said that starting early is fine, but if you are planning a once in a lifetime trip to wait until the child is older. I would agree with that. Going with that logic I would say the perfect age is 3 or 4. We took our neices when they were 3 and 5. The younger one really had a blast and to her all the "magic" was real. The 5 year old was savy enough to know the real deal behind the characters and although she still had a fantastic time, it just wasn't the same. She could ride some of the bigger rides though so I guess there are pros and cons to every age. Good luck with your decision.

disney daddy
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I think some of the greatest joy in taking a small child to Disney is the smiles on their faces. :mickey:

Even if they don't remember it, you will and those memories will be priceless! :cloud9:

Besides, grownups are kids too and deserve to have some fun - which, as long as you are careful and thoughtful parents, many can pull off quite well!

:thumbsup:Well said!

My DW and I took DD1 when she was 11 mos. old and DD2 when she was just 8 mos. Each time it was amazing to see how the girls reacted to all the stimuli. The memories, capture on film are priceless. Do it!:mickey:

wire0monkey
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
One bonus of taking really little kids (under 3) to the parks is that they are free. Their tickets are free. They eat free at buffets.

We took our first family trip to WDW when DS1 was 3.5 years old and DS2 was 1.

They had a great time and we had fun.

You need to plan for a little kid - rent or bring a stroller, know where the baby centers are, and plan on taking mid-day breaks. I rented a car so we could get out of the parks fast without waiting for a bus.

And forget Dumbo -----Triceratops Spin and Magic Carpets are the same ride, wihtout the terrible lines.

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
This would have been a great poll!

Actually2 different polls:
What age is best for their 1st visit?
What age did you take your kids (or what age were you first taken)?

Anyone care to take it on?

kemps@wdw
11-03-2008, 11:11 PM
As all previous posters say, it depends on the child. We took our DD @ 5 yrs old her 1st time.
That was the 1st time we could afford it. Even @ that age, mid-day breaks @ the resort were a must, but she loved every minute of it, and has been back 6 times since! Now our DN went his 1st time @ 3yrs old. All went great and he remembered quite a bit of the trip. And our other DN went his 1st time @ 3 yrs old. All did NOT go well then! Most important things to remember...can't do it all, so don't even try. (which means more to do next trip) follow their lead (stop when they want, eat when they want, even if it's not time, do what they want, even if you don't) and ENJOY!!:thumbsup:

SoaringEpcot
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
We took DS at 5 weeks old to Disneyland. We did all the rides we wanted to. Some rides we went together and some we did the child swap. It did take a little longer because many of the fastpass lines were 20 minute waits. I say take them when you are ready, just never leave them at home no matter what age they are.

Airblue1
11-04-2008, 12:54 PM
8 or 9 YEARS OLD

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
My preference is when they are potty trained (many are by the age of 2) and when they can deal with late or missing naps. We first took our children when they were 4 and 6 and they did wonderful - only needing a quick nap once the whole week. We did make sure that we stopped and had a long lunch in which they could rest and re-energize.

However, every family is different and every child as well. Do what you feel is right for you and your family and - HAVE FUN!!! :mickey3:

Ian
11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I didn't read through all the responses here, because I'm sure there is a wide variety of opinions given.

I'll just tell you what I think ... you're the parents. You should decide.

We took DD for the first time when she was 8 months. DS went at 7 months. Both had a great time, smiled, giggled, and laughed the whole trip.

Will they remember those trips? Heck no. They don't remember them now, even though they were just a few years ago! But DW and I remember them and they're precious memories for us. Although, I'm not too sure ... my son definitely remembers Small World (his favorite ride), because if you ask him about it he'll tell you there's a clock (he loves clocks, for some reason).

If you plan on visiting DW year after year as a family, then honestly what difference does it make if the kids remember it or not? You come away with pictures, and videos, and priceless memories of your child's first time in WDW.

Now look ... if you're only going to go once or twice and that's it, then yeah ... I'd wait until they're old and they'll remember it. But I went for the first time when I was 5, I don't really remember a thing about it, but I know it turned me into a lifelong fan of Disney theme parks!

Just for some perspective ... DS is just about 2 and he'll be making his 4th trip in December. DD is 6 and a half and she'll be making her 15th trip ... so they're both quite seasoned even at this young age.

Disneyfan1971
11-08-2008, 12:08 AM
The first time I went was 1980 and was 8, going on 9 and I remember it vividly. I think if I'd of been younger it wouldn't have meant so much. But then again, every child is different. So I wouldn't say there's a set age to take a child to WDW :)

wolfhog
11-08-2008, 08:23 AM
First I want to thank PAYROLL PRINCESS for her reply to my question. For my two cents - I think kids perceive and retain more than we realize at any age (unfortunately this includes bad things) so I believe even an infant gets the overall positive aspects of being there. I brought my great niece when she was 2 (now 8)and she has vivid memories of that visit, this will be her 7mos old baby brothers first trip and she's more excited for that than herself going. (Hope I last)
Lastly, Ian - next year METS rule!

tomorrowschild
11-08-2008, 11:53 AM
We took our DD for the first time when she was 10 months old. She had a great time, and was such a good girl. She slept in the stroller when she needed it. She loved the characters! She won't remember any of it, but we have lots of pictures, and some wonderful memories.:mickey:

She will be going again in April- she will be a day or two shy of 2 years.

Lizzie
11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
We have taken our twin girls to DW twice when they were 6 months and 17 months. Than to DL twice at 20 and 22 months. We don't have the luxury of leaving them behind for my husband and I to take vacations.

They have had great times and its fun to watch them experience more as they get older. When they were 6 months we planned what we wanted and they slept in their stroller so we didn't need to stop for naps.

All other trips after that we fit our plans according to their needs go up when they did went back for naps and didn't stay out late most nights. They both love the parades fireworks and shows. And now they both love the charachters one used to love them from a distance but now they both go up and hug them.

They have had fun every time, and now at over 2 1/2 they keep asking to go back but we are waiting because they are so close to the 40 inch mark we want them to be able to experience more.

We are expecting our third and will probably only take trips to DL just because its closer and with 3 kids 3 and under its much more managable.

mattandmandy
11-09-2008, 02:36 PM
DH and I also caved in and are taking our 2 and 3 year old for their 1st trip just after Thanksgiving. We were parents that always felt sorry for other parents pushing strollers, dealing with crying kids....etc. However, I went for the first time when I was a toddler and still remember sitting on my parents lap riding Snow White and have many random memories of Disney. There were several reasons why we decided to take them now rather than wait a few years but I am confident they will love it and are already excited about the upcoming trip.

Auroring Good Time
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I took my son for the first time when he was 9 months old. He doesn't remember but I do. I remember the look on his face when he saw Spaceship Earth from the monorail. I remember him grabbing Mickey's nose when I was trying to take a picture. I remember the living statue in Epcot holding him. One of my favorite pictures is of him wearing pirate Mickey ears from that trip. Your child may not remember, but you will. However, if you are planning a once in a lifetime trip, I would say age 6. Tall enough to ride everything but, young enough to find the Magic.

Goes4FastPass
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I think it's great to take infants and toddlers to WDW. I've taken recent a trip with a toddler and all of the 'extra work' was worth it.

That having been said, I don't think an infant experiences WDW differently that the grocery store. Both are louder and brighter than home.

Can't we just say "We want to go!" then decide not to leave grandma or the baby behind but commit to take their needs into consideration?

Do we really think a child 'napping' in a stroller in central Florida afternoon heat and humidity is being well cared for? I think these babies are getting a worse deal than those sleeping at 1am in the MK during EMH. At least it's cooler then.

FenwayGirl
11-13-2008, 02:56 PM
The youngest child that we have brought was 3 1/2. She loved it!!:mickey:

Diz-Knee
11-14-2008, 12:38 PM
The Perfect Age is very different for each family and each child.

For the family who expects to go every year or two, then you may as well start young. Even if the child is "too young to enjoy", the adults are likely the kind of people who will have a blast anyway!

For people like my sister, who plans to take their kid ONCE in his life, I'd say the Perfect Age is 4-5 yrs old. At that age, they are likely to be:
*Tall enough to ride most rides (44 inches!)
*Young enough to still love the characters and fully believe in the Magic.

:ditto:

We are the folks that go every year and we took DS for the first time at 4 months old and he's been back every year since. The first trip he has no memory of course, but he remembers things from the trips at 16 months and 2 years old. If I only went to WDW every 5-10 years then I would likely plan more according to age but I think each person's situation is different and it does depend on the child.

Jasper
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I didn't read through all the responses here, because I'm sure there is a wide variety of opinions given.

I'll just tell you what I think ... you're the parents. You should decide.

We took DD for the first time when she was 8 months. DS went at 7 months. Both had a great time, smiled, giggled, and laughed the whole trip.

Will they remember those trips? Heck no. They don't remember them now, even though they were just a few years ago! But DW and I remember them and they're precious memories for us. Although, I'm not too sure ... my son definitely remembers Small World (his favorite ride), because if you ask him about it he'll tell you there's a clock (he loves clocks, for some reason).

If you plan on visiting DW year after year as a family, then honestly what difference does it make if the kids remember it or not? You come away with pictures, and videos, and priceless memories of your child's first time in WDW.

Now look ... if you're only going to go once or twice and that's it, then yeah ... I'd wait until they're old and they'll remember it. But I went for the first time when I was 5, I don't really remember a thing about it, but I know it turned me into a lifelong fan of Disney theme parks!

Just for some perspective ... DS is just about 2 and he'll be making his 4th trip in December. DD is 6 and a half and she'll be making her 15th trip ... so they're both quite seasoned even at this young age.

Ian has it pretty much nailed here. One of the things that always bothers me when this topic comes up is that everyone is concerned about what is right for the kids. In reality, it needs to be what is right for the kids AND the parents. Remember, you are the ones who are going to have to deal with junior if they are cranky, hot, tired, etc. oh, and you will likely be cranky, hot, tired, etc. as well, so do you really want to put you, them, and the rest of us through that?

Bottom line is to think long and hard about what is best for both you and the little ones and everything will work out for the best.

Pirate & Princess Mom
11-14-2008, 11:04 PM
DH and I love WDW so when the kids came along we just kept going. Our DS went on his first trip when he was 3 months. I went when I was pregnant and we went when DD was 4 weeks. You just have to be flexible, use the Baby Care Centers and know when to call it a day. The kids are now 5 and 4 and have about 10 trips under their belt. We couldn't pull them away from loving WDW even if we wanted to.

IamBelle
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
When I went to WDW for the first time, I was 9, but my youngest sister was 2, we all had fun, and she claims she stills remembers it. I think two-three is a good age.