PDA

View Full Version : Need Pixie Dust for kitty

tyandskyesmom
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
A week ago, Skyler (my 4 year old) adpoted a kitten from Animal Welfare. Her sign on her cage said she was seven months old and had been in a home but a boy was allergic to her. She is a cutie. I asked about how long she had been there and if she was healthy. I was told her had all her shots and was healthy or she could not be on the floor for adoption. Skye and I met her and she was attentive and loving and even allowed Skye to hold her. So we adopted her and she was supposed to stay to be "fixed" but the next day I got a call saying she was too little (she needed to be 4 pounds but was only 3.4 pounds) so could I come to pick her up and take her home until she was big enough? So of course, Skye is all excited that her baby is coming home a day early.

So we get there to pick her up (me and the kids) and while the woman is going through paperwork for me to now put down the deposit for her getting "fixed" (they do that to make sure people bring them back) she said there was no way she was 7 month and it must have been a mistake because she could only be three month at most. That was not hard for me to believe because we had looked at anoher cat just before her that had a sign saying 1 year but was the wrong sign and this one was really 7 years old when I started asking questions. So the man hands me her box and paper work with a bottle of medicine...as if i was aware of the meds. I told him I did not know anything about the meds. So the woman helping me went into the clinic to find out what they were for. She comes back to say it is for a paracite that kittens sometimes have and that it would not be contageous. She said she had a little diarrhea but should recover completely with the meds in a few days. Now I am not a vet and I have not had kittens since I was a child (our old men cats both died in the past 4 years or so at over 17 years old) so I believed them. I must have looked a bit worried because as i was leaving the lady goes,"well at least you have the 10 day health guarantee." as if that makes it better!

So she gets home and is happy to be there. She was loving and interested in what was going on. I started doubting the 3 month old thing though because she appeard to be versed in the way of a house and just did not look that young. She ate a little, hissed at the dog, loved to be held and petted, and played a little...you know normal cat things. We did not see any diarrhea until a Monday. And she has gone down hill from there. She mostly sleeps all day on top of the cable box where it is warm and eats very little. She does not get up to greet us too much anymore. Her third eyelids do not seem to open all of the way and I cannot describe it but her eyes look weird...almost dry.

So today Lou took her back to the shelter vet. He just called from there. He said the doctor said she is at least 6 months becuae she has all her adult teeth and she is only 2 pounds... where she should be 6 or 7. He said the nurse took her in back to get a temperature and then put her back in the box and when the doctor went to take her out, there was blood in the box.

I am so sad and Skye is there with him and is going to be crushed! I am so mad at the shelter for pushing her off on us without her being healthy...not just for us but because she should have and could have gotten better care at the clinic than at home with us.

So now, Lou said our options are to just pick a new kitty and forget about Lita or they will keep her at the clinic and try to help her (which they should have done to begin with!). But there are no guarantees that she will make it. WOW, it has been a week and it just does not seem fair to anyone. Our poor, little Lita has apparently been through so much and we want her to be ok and to be able to take her home and give her a good life but she has to make it through all of this first!

I told Lou to leave her and tell then that we still want her but we do not want her at home where it is up to us to either get her healthy or to watch her die. And we will have to think about adopting another (which we would be entitled to if she were to pass) if we come to it. I hope it doesn't. I am so mad at them for how they handled this whole situation from the first cat (the 7 year old posing as a 1 year old) to sending us home with a cat they had to have known was very sick. But I am really a firm believer in adopting our animals from a shelter...we got Dakota there (our shepard mix) almost 11 years ago and she was and is perfect! But this whole experience has left me scared to work with them again. And I am sure there are many more animals in our future.

So anyway, please pray for our little Lita so that she can come home soon and be a healthy, happy house cat.

Thanx guys!

kakn7294
10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Sherry, I'm so sorry about your kitty! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for her! My 2 new kitties are both 7 mo old on Sunday and weigh 5.2 lbs each - we just came home from the vet. I hope they can find the source of her diarrhea and get her healthy again. Poor little Skye must be heartbroken. Give her hugs and kisses from us - and tell her we're praying for her kitty.

DizNee143
10-29-2008, 03:40 PM
aww..im so sorry all of this had to happen to you guys..i really hope the little kitty gets better fast and you can bring her back home!! please keep us updated..

laprana
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm so sorry your family and your kitty are going through this! Lots and lots of :pixie::pixie: coming your way so that your kitty will get well and can come home to your family! It sounds like she would have a very happy, loving home with you!

Disneyatic
10-29-2008, 06:17 PM
:tink: to your kitty that she gets better.
How terrible of the shelter to push her off on you when they knew full well she was ill. And to offer the "10 day" thing as if that's really a comfort UGH
Lots of thoughts to you all and especially Skye. We get attached to our animals so fast and it is so hard to lose one.

RenDuran
10-30-2008, 07:08 AM
It could be something as simple as her food.

When I adopted my cat, Clyde, years ago you wouldn't have believed the nasty diarrhea I had to deal with for several months. They kept treating him for coccidia, which may be the parasite they mentioned to you. Finally, someone at the vet clinic mentioned Iams kitten food...I tried it...and he was better almost over night.

The problem with shelter cats and dogs is they get so stressed. A lot of animals seem to get sick even when they go home with a new family, which should be a happy time, because it's yet another change.

I hope everything works out with Lita. It sounds like she is a good fit for your family and I hope she gets to come back home with you.

Stitchahula
10-30-2008, 08:22 AM
:pixie: I'm so sorry you have to go through this with your kitty. I hope she gets better soon.

DisneyWhirled
10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
So sorry that this has happened. :(

I hope that kitty is okay and your family can have her home real soon!! It is hard for little Skye, especially, I am sure!

Prayers and pixie dust to all of you!!

TinkerbellT421
10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
This is absolutely heart-breaking. I cry at the littlest things and this just puts me over the top. I am sending lots or prayers and pixie dust your way to make sure she gets better and soon! :pixie::pixie::tink::tink:

tyandskyesmom
10-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Today Lou called to check up on Lita. They doctor was out to lunch but the lady he spoke to said they are giving her an antibiotic and she ate about half of what they gave her today. She said she looks a little more alert today too.

Of course, Lou did not ask what antibiotic or what it was for...which is stuff I would like to know but I guess as long as she is feeling better, it does not really matter.

Thanx for all of your well wishes...keep 'em coming! I will keep you all posted as I find out info.

kakn7294
10-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm glad to hear that she's doing a little better! More :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for a speedy recovery. Just a little FYI - I would have expected that the shelter tested her for feline leukemia and that she's negative but from the sounds of it with this fiasco, you never know. My vet told me a story yesterday about a cat that came repeatedly into the office with diarrhea that antibiotics cleared for a few months but it kept coming back. He eventually tested for the feline leukemia and the cat was positive.

mrsgaribaldi
10-31-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm praying for a recovery here, I'm so sorry. Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way.

DrivingSideways
11-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I am praying for your kitty's full recovery. I can't imagine what your family is going through. Best wishes!

Zawadi
11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Wishing Lita a speedy recovery.:pixie:

Hope she's back home with you soon

kakn7294
11-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Sherry, any news on Lita? I've been wondering and worrying about her. I"m still keeping her in my prayers and sending even more :pixie:.

tyandskyesmom
11-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I talked to them yesterday (I tried two times today and no one is answering the phone) and the lady who answered said she des not know much about why she is there or how she was when she came in but she went back to check in on her and came back to say that she has an empty bowl in her cage so she is eating and she said when she came p to the cage she was alert and was trying to play with her by reaching out the bars towards her. So she said she is looking good...but she does not know how she was when she came in. I told her she was not playing or eating so she is doing better. She said she would have someone who knew Lita's case better call me but I never got a call...I assume because they are bsy when they are there in the weekend.

Skye woke up today and said she had a dream that Lita came home so hopefully that is coming soon!

Thanx again everyone...

Tinkermom
11-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear Lita is doing better. Let us know what happens!

We had a bad experience when adopting a doggie from a shelter once. My boys were 4 and 6 at the time and they found a cute cocker spaniel that they named Butterscotch before we even decided to take him. He was supposed to be 3 years old and in good health. We decided to adopt him and decided to get him fully vaccinated before even leaving the clinic. $350 later we took Butterscotch home. He had a tough time adjusting, was not housebroken. The boys loved him though especially my 4 year old. About 3 days later the 4 year old gave Butterscotch a hug and the dog bit him on the face! I called the clinic to make sure we were covered since he had his rabies shot and they said no, that the rabies shot is not fully effective until 1 month after. I asked if they knew where the dog originally came from so I could see if it was vaccinated. Well, long story short after many phone calls I tracked down the shelter he came from and then the actual family. Butterscotch was all caught up on his shots which was a relief BUT he was NOT 3 years old he was... get this... 12 YEARS OLD!! He had grown up in a house without kids. The husband had been sent to jail and his wife could not care for the dog so he went to relatives who had teenagers and the dog did not do well with them so they gave him away. I found out this same week that I was pregnant with our DD so we had to take Butterscotch back. I could not chance him biting my kids again not to mention we might not even have him very long due to his age. We wanted a dog who would grow up with our kids. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.:( My boys were so upset. I was so angry that they made up the age of this dog. :mad: It only took me a couple of phone calls to find out his history. I do not understand why shelters aren't more careful.

We now have a sweet little cocker spaniel named Minnie that we got as a puppy.
Minnie (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8078549@N07/2227603662/sizes/l/in/set-72157603811635924/)

doombuggy
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
"Cedric" send his best recover wishes and lots of meows to "Lita."

I usually have his photo posted as my avitar, but I don't think they allow that here. He's 3 and he's white/tan DSH.

:pixie:

tyandskyesmom
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I just got off the phone with the shelter and the man that answered said he went to find out about Lita and was handed a piece of paper saying she is "active, eating, and still showing signs of diarrhea and they are still treating her". I asked what exactly they are trseating her for/with. He did not know but told me to call back around 2pm - 3pm and he will try to find out more info for me.

Most likely, they will not tell me much more, if anything. While they seem to be able to give basic info, it does not seem as though the people answering the phones actually have much to do with the animals and I am assuming that the clinic in the shelter is usually busy.

I am so happy she is active and eating...that seems to indicate good things but if she is still having the diarrhea problem this long (we adopted her on October 22 so it has been 13 days now) even with treatment, it has me worried still. And we'd really like to have our baby healthy and home!

DrivingSideways
11-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Your dear Lita is still in my prayers. I wish you all the best. Thanks for keeping us updated!

DizNee143
11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
anything new on little Lita?
i hope she gets to come home soon!!! :mickey:

tyandskyesmom
11-06-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry, I have been so busy lately!

I have not called today but last night the lady said she was doing good. She is eating and drinking and no diarrhea in a day or so. She sai dthe doctor was in to see her and said he wanted to keep her for a couple of more days to see if they can get her to gain a little more weight before sending her home.

So I think that is a good report. Hopefully she is out of danger now and can come home and grow to be a big, fat cat...well, that may be pushing it but we'll settle for happy and healthy.

One thing though. I have been calling at different times of the day and the lady who answers in the morning is down right rude! One day I just wanted to tell her it was their fault I took home such a sick baby and they shoud be much more kind to me when I am calling to check up on her. Like I was bothering her calling to check up on Lita. As far as I see it they shoudl be happy that we care so much because I am quite sure a lot of people would have just told them to keep her and picked out another. To us, pets are not disposable! I didn't but I sure wanted to. But the girl at night is so much nicer and she always tells me to keep calling back to check on her.

So hopefuilly, Lita will be home in the next couple of days...the kids ask when we can go get her all the time! We can't wait to have her back!

kakn7294
11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a good report Sherry! Hopefully Lita will be home with you in just a few days!

tyandskyesmom
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
LITA IS COMING HOME!!!

Ok...so last night i called to check up on her and was told that she had not eated that day. So they wanted to keep her a couple of more days to make sure it was not a regular thing.

So I called about an hour ago and the lady went to get her and was playing with her while talking to me. She said she is very active and running around and playing and dives right into her food like a hungry cat. She said she weighed her and she is up to 3 pounds 5 ounces so is gaining weight well. I asked some questions that she did not know the answers to so we hung up. She called back a little while later and left a message saying she talked to the doctor and he said she could go home and to call and confirm that we'd be coming to get her. So I called back and the lady said she'd note it. I also asked about squeezing her in for grooming because last time she came home ahs had yuckies all over her tail and such...you know what I mean! She she transferred me to the groomers voice mail. A few minutes later I get a call from Dr. Paul. He wanted to let me know of his concern for Lita. And he stressed that it is just a concern and if he had to bet money on it she would bet against it but it was just something he noticed and had to let me know the possibility. So he said she is still little and she has medium long hair so it is very subjective but he thinks her belly seems a little large. He said there is a rare chance of her having a kitten virus called FIP (don't know what it stands for...did not think to ask). He said mostly it would manifest itself as a large belly in thin kittens (not cats) and a gradual loss of appetite and activity. He said 99.9% of kittens with this do not make it past a month or two after contracting the disease. He was sure to tell me that he does not think she has it but had to let me know so I was aware. He said there is no way to test for it and there is no cure. But he said the way she is acting and eating looks good. He gave me options of them keeping her longer to watch her, taking her home, or choosing a new kitten. I told him we did not think pets are disposable so we would like her to come home. But I asked if something were to happen, and she were to pass would we be able to get a new kitten to replace her. He said yes, he would make sure the computer reflected that. He seemed very pleased with our attitude about it.

And then the goomer called a few minutes after I hung up with Dr. Paul and said she can squeeze her in right now so she will be all pretty and smell good when we pick her up! It will cost me $33 and even though I think they should not let animals leave in the condition she was in last time we took her home and after all the trouble and worry we have had about her that they could have avoided so they should comp it, I do realize they are a non-for- profit shelter and it is more like a donation anyway. And at this point I don't even care I just want her to come home!

Gosh, I hope we do not even need to deal with another kitten so please, keep your pixie dust coming for her!

Tick-Tock
11-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Best wishes for your little kitty. It's so great that you are not willing to just trade her in but are giving her the best shot she can get for a good life.

DrivingSideways
11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I am so glad that little Lita is going to get to come home! I will keep her in my prayers. I hope she grows up to be a happy and healthy girl!

tyandskyesmom
11-10-2008, 11:03 AM
So Lita is home and is sooo cute!

She is eating like a little piggy and playing and not sleeping all the time (like she was before we took her back). She has not had any diarrhea. She even seems to be ok with the dog...although she does not voluntarily go by her, she is not hissing and avoiding her either though.

I hope this is the end of her ordeal.

Thanks for all of your well wishes everyone!

DizNee143
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
YAY!!!
so happy to here she is finally back home!

kakn7294
11-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm glad to hear she's home! I hope she has a long and happy life with you. If Skye's anything like Megan at that age, Lita had better get used to wearing princess tiaras and getting carried all over the house!

TinkerbellT421
11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh I am so glad to hear she it ok and doing well. I am so glad she is finally back home with her loving family. Pixie duts and prayers she will live a long happy life with her family! :cloud9:

DrivingSideways
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I am so glad to hear that she is at home! I hope she has a long, happy, and healthy life with your family!

tyandskyesmom
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Ok, so she must be feeling better! She woke me up this morning at 2am runnig all over the house, jumping on things (and of course then falling off!), and walking up over my once sleeping body to rub against my face and then leave again!

She did throw up last night but she has been eating like a pig so I really think it was just that. She did not see to be affected by it at all and she certainly does not appear ill ... yesterday evening we pulled out the suitcase (finally, for our trip in 8 days!) and she was jumping in and out of it with her toy mouse and chasing the laser pointer...everywhere except for on the dog. But she is even warming up to her and doesn't get all nasty and hurt Dakota's feelings anymore...in fact, I think Coda got a couple of good sniffs into the fur yesterday without being yelled at.

So I think everyone's pixie dust helped and hopefully we are out of the woods with her!

Thanks again guys!

DisneyWhirled
11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh I hope that little Lita is all better! Great to hear!!

We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers that things continue to go well!

RenDuran
11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm so glad to hear that your girl is back home with you! :)