PDA

View Full Version : When does an attraction become a classic?

Imagineer1981
10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I was thinking about Star Tours, and how its old and probably needs to be refurbed, but then I was like..."no way" I love that ride. Ya, its rough and the video is grainy, but to me its "classic" and would hate if it changed. My question is when does a ride reach that "classic" stage where we'd hate if it was removed and what newer attractions (not older like Peter Pan or Snow White) would you consider to now also be classic?

Goes4FastPass
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Disney should not let the "Classic" label prevent it from continuously looking at improvements to park attractions.

When it comes to 'Star Wars', George Lucas used improving technology as the series advanced and even used it to alter the earlier movies in the series - to the dismay of many fans.

Should Disney colorize 'Steam Boat Willy"? Of course not but I'm glad someone didn't say "Mickey can't be in (Mickey's) Pharharmagic because classic Mickey isn't 3-D.

mcjaco
10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I'd ever miss Star Tours if it was removed. It's just not a "wow" experience for me, it's simply a simulator ride with a Star Wars overlay.

I think it has to be something that really tugs at the guest's heartstrings. I'm not sure Star Tours does that. With Peter Pan, you're still likely to wait over an hour (without FP, of course). It's simply a ride that everyone loves, more because of the memorable story and characters Disney created of the original.

Imagineer1981
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure I'd ever miss Star Tours if it was removed. It's just not a "wow" experience for me, it's simply a simulator ride with a Star Wars overlay.

hope you feel the same about Soarin'...same thing to me.

Also I am not saying Star Tours is classic because of loyalty, I think its classic because its been there since the begining and for many, many people, its a can't miss

mcjaco
10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
^ Don't even get me started on Soarin'. What a complete waste of space. :mad:

Tinkerbella16
10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
POTC and HM are both classics and have had refurbs...and we love them still!!!

SSE is also a classic attraction and had a big refurb...but some dislike it very much, and some like it. I don't think theres anything wrong with a little refurb of a classic ride, as long as it keeps its original charm.

dmosher
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I couldn't agree more, Soarin' is just not worth the time or $$. Something better could have been done with the cash and the technology. But I know it has a huge following, though I do not understand why. As for a classic, when or why it becomes one is a tough call. I think right now the classics are still based on the original movies and themes of each park, from their beginnings. That being said, 40 years from now, will Toy Story Mania be a classic? Anything is possible. For me the "classics" invoke a childhood memory of sitting at home and watching the original shows the rides are based on (or similar ideas) on Wonderful World of Disney. That sort of thing makes it a classic for me (POTC not included, thats' just awesome).
:pipes:
D

Ian
10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Didn't see where the OP asked people to bash Soarin', but hey ... maybe I missed it ...

Anyhoo, "classic" IMO is attraction specific and has little to do with length of time an attraction has been open.

For example, some newer "classics":

Expedition Everest
Toy Story Mania
Tower of Terror
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Some older "non-classics":

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Star Tours
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular
Astro Orbiter
If the ride is good enough it becomes an "instant classic", but if it's uninspired or run-of-the-mill it will never hit "classic" status.

DizRunner
10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Short and sweet...a ride becomes a classic you when say it is.

SFTrny
10-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I think that there is a difference between a "classic" and an exceptional ride. For me, a "classic" is both an exceptional ride as well as somthing that I did as a kid...and then did again with my own kids, and still thought it was a "must do".

Expedition Everst is an exceptional ride, but not sure that it is a classic yet. I think that it may be, in time.

Pirates is definitely a classic. Great then...great now.

I think that it takes a generation to determine what is a classic.

mainemajor
10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I would add Splash Mountain to a "New" classic. I remember the Brer Rabbit stories from my childhood and that IMHO helps make a good ride/attraction into a classic.

Polynesian Dweller
10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
There's no magic formula for time etc. that can be applied for something to be truly classic. Its really a consensus thing. At some point most people just know that something is classic but you can't define it absolutely. You know its a classic when the arguments about it being one start to go away.

TheRustyScupper
10-29-2008, 11:17 PM

When the Public Relations Dept says it is.

Bobby T
10-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Didn't see where the OP asked people to bash Soarin', but hey ... maybe I missed it ...

Anyhoo, "classic" IMO is attraction specific and has little to do with length of time an attraction has been open.

For example, some newer "classics":

Expedition Everest
Toy Story Mania
Tower of Terror
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Some older "non-classics":

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Star Tours
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular
Astro Orbiter
If the ride is good enough it becomes an "instant classic", but if it's uninspired or run-of-the-mill it will never hit "classic" status.

Agreed Ian - even though I like the attraction, I would add "Living with the Land" to the Older "Non-Classic" list.

btw...Congratulations on your Phillies. :beer:

tjstrike
10-30-2008, 04:43 AM

I also agree, if I say it's a classic, in my mind it's a classic and nobody is going to tell me different.

SpecJoe Magic
10-30-2008, 05:40 AM
I also agree, if I say it's a classic, in my mind it's a classic and nobody is going to tell me different.

I third that sentiment. It's a subjective thing, and there really isn't an objective way to determine classic status.

My personal requirements for classic status are as follows:

1. Must be at least 10 years old
2. I never tire of visiting it
3. It has that special something that stands out in my mind but is impossible to explain

Off the top of my head, the newest classic at WDW for me is Tower of Terror. There are a few attractions, such as Toy Story Mania and Expedition Everest, that are excellent, but I feel that they must continue to be consistently appealing to me after 10 years in order for me to consider them classics. So, Jungle Cruise, for example, is not a classic in my mind because it has lost a great deal of appeal for me over the years, yet I imagine that most people would consider it to be a classic.

As for Star Tours, it has been badly out of date and in need of change for years and is clearly not a classic in my opinion.

Bass T-bone
10-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I think that a "classic" ride is one that was there when the park opened.

joonyer
10-30-2008, 04:39 PM
The original Star Wars movie trilogy (episodes 4-5-6) are classics. Star Tours (the DHS attraction) is not.

I say keep the attraction (the themeing is great) but replace the outdated simulator technology and get a new film. Body wars (same simulator) is gone and so should the simulator in Star Tours.

Goes4FastPass
10-30-2008, 04:57 PM
If you're saying 'classic' is more about quality than age I agree completely.

Also, I think there's a desire to keep some things the way were.

My adult son considers the 'figment' of his childhood to be an EPCOT classic - and regrets (doesn't eveybody?) the Journey to Imagination re-work.