PDA

View Full Version : Semi-formal wedding attire

TinyDancer
10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Well, we have been invited to an old friend's wedding. The reception (at the very least) will take place at the Richmond Country Club and the dress is semi-formal. What does that mean?! Short is all I can come up with. But I mean sundress or like a dress for a dance (back in those highschool days)? Obviously the things like not TOO short and having shoulders covered in church and stuff apply. But as far as straps/sleeves, knee length or above/below, fabric, etc..... Any suggestions?!?!

BananaAnna838
10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
My sister forgot to add that it's in November! We're really clueless on this, and need to get moving on finding the right thing to wear. :blush: Thank you!!

SBETigg
10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow, that is interesting, isn't it? I don't think I've seen "semi-formal" since the high school dance days, either. I'm guessing they want it to be a little dressier than afternoon wedding attire, but not so dressy that guys have to run out and get tuxes. I think it's pretty wide open, maybe a nice dress (not floor length, but probably cocktail wear) or pants ensemble for women and nicer suits for the guys. Though, I did an internet search and semi-formal technically means black tie tux for men and evening dress for women, which I've always thought of as more formal than semi-formal in our increasingly casual society. I understand your confusion.

Tick-Tock
10-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I would call or e-mail the bride or a member of the wedding party and ask what they consider "semi-formal." That removes the guesswork.

BigRedDad
10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Bring backup outfits. Use the excuse that you had to go in to work and need to change.

Stitchahula
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
I think they probably put that so people don't show looking like they are going to a party instead of a wedding. I've been to a wedding that I was shocked at how people were dressed. The grandfather of the bride was wearing everyday clothes like he couldn't bother dressing up (yes he does have a suit) and there were people in flip flops and cut offs. So I would say a nice (dressy) dress for you it doesn't need to be full length. If you have a DH or boyfriend going I would say a nice suit. Just use good judgement and you should be fine.

offwego
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Time of day can be a factor as well.

But for business events semi formal would normally mean the following (and weirdly the tux thing doesn't seem to happen unless it's designated formal despite it being in the semi formal definitions but I suspect that's just because the wedding party and the guests would all start to merge together if they gentlemen all wore tuxes wouldn't they?)

Semi formal would normally read as cocktail length (ie not gown length but one can go that route if it's either more common in the shops in your area or figure flattering). If the strap issue is a problem for the service a wrap or shrug is a good solution.

If the wedding itself is daytime avoid sequins or obvious glitter or over shiny detail if possible (just because in daylight photos it comes off funny really). Colour is a problem as at this time of year so much is in black and well that can be ok it doesn't say wedding to me. If you do go black, try to use colour in ones shoes, bag, wrap etc so that it doesn't look like an outfit for clubs, or a funeral.

With the exception of the MOB and MOG type "fancy suits" it really does mean a dress or what one would see under the "evening wear" section of suits.

Cinderelley
11-06-2008, 04:22 AM
I think of it as the kind of dress I would wear to church on Easter Sunday.

thrillme
11-12-2008, 01:02 PM
No Jeans even if they're your best :D.

My vote is a nice dress or skirt and blouse (ie...black skirt and silk blouse). Something that you would wear to a upscale cottail lounge or easter sunday church (depending on the time of day of the wedding).

Men...it's simple...slacks, jacket and tie.

Aggie97
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I believe semi-formal attire for a day wedding is a suit for men and a nice dress or dressy suit for women; for an evening wedding it is a dark suit for men and a cocktail dress for women. I think your dress length is pretty flexible, depending on what's flattering on you -- just avoid full floor-length gowns. I also would avoid anything with extensive beading or sequins, especially for a daytime event. Straps/sleeves are flexible; I agree with the previous poster who suggested bringing a wrap to cover up in church if necessary. Have a great time! :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd go a little dressier if it's a night wedding but still fairly dressy for a day wedding. I'd rather be over dressed rather than under dressed.