PDA

View Full Version : Security - Checking Fanny Packs

DisneyFr33k
10-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Did anyone else have the following experience?

At each park, security had different rules about removing fanny packs from your body to inspect. At one, they would allow it to stay on your body as long as they could see in every compartment. At others, they would insist you remove it from your body for them to inpect.

Our last day there, we went back to Epcot. My clip had broken and I had double knotted the fanny around my waist. When I got up to security, a really strange security officer (he was flirting with a woman ahead of us, teasing her about not opening all her compartments and holding up the line, then telling everyone to smile) told me to remove my fanny pack. When I told him it broke and I had to tie it on me, he rudely told me he would not inspect any bad attached to our body. While it was wrestling with removing the knots, he when through my DH's backpack and offered items from it to the woman he was flirting with prior. :mad:

I was so angry, that I went to Guest Relations and told them the story. She apologized and said that as far as she knew the only rule was that they cannot touch any person during the search. She was going to report the problem to the security manager and asked if we wanted to be contacted. I'm not one to complain and let it go, hoping he got his hand slapped.

Overall, the lines went fast, but the "to remove or not remove" fanny packs is still a mystery. :confused:

Marker
10-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I would think it would be difficult to thoroughly check without having it removed.

On those occasions when I have used a fanny pack, I don't recall ever actually being asked to remove it because I already had removed it, unzipped it, and had it pulled open wide. I figure they're just doing their job, and they don't need me making things more difficult than they need be. If I have it open and ready for them to look, I'll get through more quickly and it'll make things easier for both of us.

As for flirting, I guess one person's "flirting" is another person's "friendly". Perhaps he was just attempting to keep things light and friendly.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Guess he thought being a jerk would impress the girl he was flirting with:( If someone checking bags was strict with everyone, it wouldn't bother me as I'd think they were serious about doing their job, but the way you described it he was out of line.

DisneyFr33k
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
I would think it would be difficult to thoroughly check without having it removed.

Mine was very loose and I was able to open all compartments for him to easily see what was in each. That is how I did it at the other theme parks w/o issue.

His "flirting" was obvious - especially when he turned from her and barked at me very disrepectfully about my fanny pack. Oh well!

vicster
10-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I also remove my fanny pack and have it open for inspection - no problem. Maybe security was just trying to keep things friendly as I would certainly feel strange having to look in people's bags and personal items. You can tell they sometimes feel awkward about it.

DisneyFr33k
10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree, if I didn't have it double knotted around my waist I wouldn't have had an issue. But I thought he would be a little understanding and look through it so I wouldn't have to untie and tie again. This is what caused him to become rude and then rummage through my husband's packpack and offer our personal belongings to others.

Ian
10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Eh ... I would not have expected them to look through it while it was still tied around my waist. They're pretty clear before you get to the checkpoint that you need to have all bags open and available for inspection prior to getting to the tables.

In today's litigious society, they can't risk having a male security CM pawing through a fanny pack tied around a female's waist. That's just asking for a lawsuit.

CaptainSad
10-29-2008, 09:00 AM
At any security check point you are required to take all things to be searched off your person. You are to open all purses, handbags, back packs, fanny packs or any other thing that they can't see into. If you have a clear back pack you do not have to open it unless you have something like a sweater,sweat shirt folded up where you can hide something. One strict rule is. "Do not touch". If you could not take it off and they had to check, some where there is going to be touching. In today's world they can get into a lot of trouble. Don't forget these people are only protecting you and all the other guests from any kind of harm. I don't think this security person was flirting. I think because of type of job, this person was making conversation or just trying to get people smiling.

DizNee143
10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
i must of had the same annoying man when i was there earlier this month..i had no problems anywhere else...but this one guy..had to make a big deal that i still had one strap of my tote bag on my shoulder..dude it was like the worlds biggest tote..you could easily see the 6 items i had in there from across the park when i had it open and facing the man...so me being the stubborn person i can be at times..made sure i still had it slightly on my shoulder when he looked! :D
its not like they really do a great job of searching bags anyway..so who cares if its touching me or not..do your slight look into the bag and move on..

Polynesian Dweller
10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Guess he thought being a jerk would impress the girl he was flirting with
Hmm, I don't know if I would ever go that far with a statement if I wasn' t there.

In terms of security though, security comes first. I would rather have someone be rigid and keep dangerous things out of the parks than have to worry about them in the park.

The other thing here, and its something everyone seems to forget, at Disney as every where else, saftey comes first in priorities and trumps everything else and I for one want my safety taken care of first.

KylesMom
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
We've traveled to Disney every year since they enacted the bag inspection.

DH always has his fanny pack, and he's always had to remove it from his person before they'll inspect it. Our 10 year old son carries a fanny pack, and his is inspected in the same manner as DH - removed from their bodies and placed on the table. Granted, some security personnel inspect the bags/packs at a much higher level than others, but it's been our experience that the bags have to be put on the table for inspection and children must be removed from their strollers so that a once-over can be performed.

I remember the first year they began the inspections after 9-1-1 . . . the number of restricted items that people were trying to bring into the parks (mainly booze) was hilarious. There were HUGE garbage cans full of things folks forfeited when they walked through the gates, from full bottles of hard liquor to small flasks! Oh, yeah - and a few small butterfly knives!

DisneyFr33k
10-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about security and am willing to do whatever the rules are. My point is there are no consistent rules - Animal Kingdom allowed my fanny to stay on. That is why I thought it might be alright elsewhere.

Also, what about him pulling things out of our backpack and offering to to other guests waiting in line?

And, yes, you had to be there to see him flirt - I was and it was obvious!

WDWFanatic
10-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about security and am willing to do whatever the rules are. My point is there are no consistent rules - Animal Kingdom allowed my fanny to stay on. That is why I thought it might be alright elsewhere.

Also, what about him pulling things out of our backpack and offering to to other guests waiting in line?

And, yes, you had to be there to see him flirt - I was and it was obvious!

I totally agree, it is SO different at each park. Some barely glance, some seem to want to inspect the dust at the bottom.

I have had security, tell me I could leave my fanny pack on as I was getting ready to take it off, just open the zippers.

I believe you that this guy was flirting, now why was she still hanging around after he moved on the your DH and you? Time for him to get back to work. It seems to me that he was trying to rush you through so he could get back to her.

DisneyFr33k
10-29-2008, 09:51 AM
why was she still hanging around after he moved on the your DH and you? Time for him to get back to work. It seems to me that he was trying to rush you through so he could get back to her.

She had moved to the end of the table and was re-zipping up her backpack purse - which had half a dozen zippers. It was then he reached into our backpack and offered her some of our items.

mermaidmarian
10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
I find the bag checking to be pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they quickly inspect to see what's in your bag and move you along, other times it is, IMO, ridiculously intrusive. On a recent trip, I was wearing a small wallet, around my neck, similar to a FP lanyard, in which I usually carry my FPs and park pass for easy and quick access in the park. I had opened my small back pack for inspection and after the CM had inspected my bag, I began to proceed through the checkpoint. She called me back and insisted on inspecting my wallet (again, not a pocketbook), and was none to friendly about it. IMO, totally unnecessary, in that I could have been carrying more in my pockets than in that tiny pouch. I found it completely off-putting, as there is nothing one could carry concealed in such a small thing that they could not also conceal in several other less searchable locations on their persons. I don't see people being asked to empty their pockets or open their jackets for a similar degree of inspection for overall safety.

I'll concede, grudgingly, that we now need to subject ourselves to searches without even the barest shred of probable cause. But I am surprised at how willingly that concession is made by us in situations without any real or proximate threat to public safety or private property.

Pixie Power
10-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I'll say this, the WDW CM's in the bag-check security department need to be more consistent across the boards with the checking process. It varies so much from place to place that one can never know what to expect when entering the parks.

WeLuvBuzz
10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
While I understand your frustration, I would not want to have a fanny pack on my body when somebody was checking inside it. That puts them way inside my personal space bubble. I understand you had a special circumstance, but perhaps if it every happens again you can just carry it until the bag is checked or see if you can find a safety pin. I agree that is very bizarre that he offered to give away some of your personal items. That is a little to touchy for me. We now don't take bags into the parks. If it does not fit into our pockets it does not go in. It is amazing how much you can live without and we don't have to worry about losing very many items.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't see people being asked to empty their pockets or open their jackets for a similar degree of inspection for overall safety.

Actually, you may not know this but there is always a PCO located outside of the security checkpoint that has the sole job of identifying those who are carrying concealed weapons, including officers of the law. They were quite surprised when the security officers asked for their weapons. The Disney security officers have done training with Navy Seals.

So while to you, it may seem like a casual glance, but you've already been scoped out before even getting to the security check.

PCO's are also not hidden. In fact, they want to be seen because it spreads the word that there are people in casual wear who are working security. But even then, they have an additional covert PCO look, in which even I've been fooled by.

Dragongirlx
10-29-2008, 11:51 AM
This is a problem all security guards have across all area not just WDW. Newer guards tend to be more strict and more vigilant and try to stick to the rules whie some who have been there a while tend to calm down a bit and are more lenient, however like in all professions there are those who will just do it what ever way they want no matter what the rules are.
It is really hard to keep consistency it all depends on who you are working with, who your manager is and what your personality is. It is up to managers to ensure consistency and all it takes is for one to not bother or not be as vigilant as others.
I used to be a security guard and while I kept to the rules and always tried to treat everyone the same some of the members of my team felt that this was too much hassle and just did what they liked and because our boss didn't check this behaviour it kept on till we got a new better manager.
Disney needs to ensure consistency across guards and parks but remeber this can be quite hard.

Seasonscraps
10-29-2008, 12:02 PM
There's a lot of inconsistencies at DW and I can see where it's frustrating but what can you do? If the rule is take it off and some security guards didn't make you untie it - then you lucked out at those check points.

But there's never an excuse to be rude and to even jokingly offer to give your stuff away is inappropriate.

SBETigg
10-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I think this is one of those things that is going to be inconsistent because it depends on the comfort level of the inspecting officer. As others have said, we live in a litigious society and the inspector puts him/herself at personal risk if they have to make physical contact with you. So if the bag is too close to you, it makes sense they would ask you to remove it.

On the other hand, there are inspectors who would be more comfortable just going about their business and less worried about the risk of contact. For the most part, I would expect them to ask me to remove bags like fanny packs but I wouldn't be bothered if they felt they could complete the search and allow me to keep it on. A good way to avoid this is to not wear fanny packs. :blush:

TheDuckRocks
10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
On a personal level I would feel very uncomfortable having my fanny bag inspected while still on my body. And I can't help but think that the security people who let you keep one on are the ones not handling it correctly. I always have mine off and all 7 zippers open before I get up to the inspector. Yeah, mine has 7 zippers, I thought that was neat before I had to unzip them all for the security check the first time.:blush:

mermaidmarian
10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Actually, you may not know this but there is always a PCO located outside of the security checkpoint that has the sole job of identifying those who are carrying concealed weapons, including officers of the law. They were quite surprised when the security officers asked for their weapons. The Disney security officers have done training with Navy Seals.

So while to you, it may seem like a casual glance, but you've already been scoped out before even getting to the security check.

PCO's are also not hidden. In fact, they want to be seen because it spreads the word that there are people in casual wear who are working security. But even then, they have an additional covert PCO look, in which even I've been fooled by.

Oh, I have no doubt that there are many layers of security, seen and unseen at WDW. That wasn't my point.

The existence of a bag checkpoint is supposed to be, in and of itself, a deterrent. Because it exists, I personally think the liklihood of someone trying to bring something dangerous through the bag checkpoint is actually lower than someone trying to conceal something on their person and not go through the checkpoint. Because of that, I said asking me to open a wallet, which could serve to conceal nothing more than a couple of credit cards and an ID, is overkill when compared to the numerous other places a motivated person could conceal something if they were intent upon doing harm, and pass unobtrusively by the security check point.

JMO, of course.

Dyanna
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
When we went last Oct they checked every inch of my dd's diaper bag & even had us take out the bottle cooler inside the bag to inspect it. The hardest part was putting everything back inside the already stuffed diaper bag & trying not to hold up the line at the same time.

Nascfan
10-29-2008, 01:01 PM

I have a real problem with this aspect of the situation. I'm all for keeping things light with guests in what can be a sometimes trying job, but flirting or not, you just don't offer up guest's items to other guests. I do hope he was disciplined for this part of it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmm, I don't know if I would ever go that far with a statement if I wasn' t there.

In terms of security though, security comes first. I would rather have someone be rigid and keep dangerous things out of the parks than have to worry about them in the park.

The other thing here, and its something everyone seems to forget, at Disney as every where else, saftey comes first in priorities and trumps everything else and I for one want my safety taken care of first.

Actually in my post, I said that based on what she said happened and the fact that he was offering the items to the woman....the way the poster put it, he was flirting with the woman and it sounded like at her expense....of course, I was not there and there are always two sides to the story.

Also, in my post, I said I would not have a problem with them making me removing my bag if they did that to everyone else because that would mean they are doing their job properly. I certainly agree that safety comes first.

Polynesian Dweller
10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Actually in my post, I said that based on what she said happened
And that was my point. Neither one of us was there and have only one viewpoint to go on. We can't evaluate it objectively and we don't have the security person's statement to evaluate. I've done enough investigations into employee complaints over the years to know that you have to get all sides before you can really evaluate the situation. That's why I never would get that strong with a statement when I can't know both sides.

I can't say the OP is wrong in their perception, they may be quite right, but at this point we only have one statement and that is never enough to draw a definitive conclusion.

Imagineer1981
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Lets get to the real issue here...

FANNY PACKS:ack::ack::ack:

I wish they would just disappear forever. Probably one of the worst items ever invented. They are hideous!!!!

On a serious note: I have always had to remove my backpack and open it up and my wife with her purse, and sad to say, my mom and her fanny pack has always had to come off to be inspected.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh, I have no doubt that there are many layers of security, seen and unseen at WDW. That wasn't my point.

The existence of a bag checkpoint is supposed to be, in and of itself, a deterrent. Because it exists, I personally think the liklihood of someone trying to bring something dangerous through the bag checkpoint is actually lower than someone trying to conceal something on their person and not go through the checkpoint. Because of that, I said asking me to open a wallet, which could serve to conceal nothing more than a couple of credit cards and an ID, is overkill when compared to the numerous other places a motivated person could conceal something if they were intent upon doing harm, and pass unobtrusively by the security check point.

JMO, of course.

Oh I understand what you mean. I was just referring to the fact that someone is already looking for concealed weapons well before that point. By the time you reach the bag check, you've already been looked at based on posture, movements, facial expression and everything else without knowing it. And that the people who do those check specialize in it so they know what they are looking for and have surprised many cops and officers who carry their concealed weapons because of the simple fact that they knew just by looking.

Not that you would do anything like this or that they would know what to look for or even what it was, but your wallet could have contained nanotechnology that allows you to detonate something that is already in the park, hidden in an unobtrusive object such as a water bottle, etc. Remember, an airport found bomb that could take down an airplane was hidden in the sole of someone's shoe.

I tell you, my classes scare me sometimes when we think of the worst case scenarios for Amusement Technology.

But I understand what you are saying and even I'm annoyed with the inconsistancies. They have to check our bags coming in and out of the parks....some just glance, some demand looking in the pockets of the costumes you have. Some just want one ID, others want a full car inspect for things plus everyone's ID.....even when it's Mickey and Minnie in the van.

Ian
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
My biggest problem with the bag checks is that they're a pointless intrusion. If they were in any way effective, I'd be okay with it. But they aren't. As many people pointed out here, I could have 200 pounds of TNT under my shirt and no one would know. As long as I'm not stupid enough to hide it in a bag, I'd be fine.

Given that, I'd rather they just not waste my time and invade my privacy needlessly.

Zawadi
10-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree - there are lots of inconsistencies in security bag checks.

What surprises me is the fuss some security CM's make over a small zip compartment of a bag when entering the theme parks, yet you can walk onto the Monorail and ride up front in the drivers compartment without even anyone looking in your bags at all! Surely this is a greater security threat.

trackbarroness
10-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Going to work our bag(s) get checked and and id's, then on some days they have us pull enough stuff out for them to inspect the bags further. And yes I have run accross a couple who are very strict on checking the bags to include making us take stuff on top to see if something is a shoe or what have you. And that was going into work one day about a couple months ago. If no ID you call for an area manager to come and get you, nice eh?

mermaidmarian
10-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Not that you would do anything like this or that they would know what to look for or even what it was, but your wallet could have contained nanotechnology that allows you to detonate something that is already in the park, hidden in an unobtrusive object such as a water bottle, etc. Remember, an airport found bomb that could take down an airplane was hidden in the sole of someone's shoe.

Sure. Except that if the searches were really trying to reduce that type of threat, then it just reinforces the argument implicit in my comments; why not inspect all wallets, pockets, shoes, etc? In my opinion, at the level of which you speak, it is about minimizing proximate risk and I would go back to my previous statement that suggests that the risk is probably lowest among the people who have to submit to some type of screening through the checkpoint.

I know what you mean about heightened concerns about risk. But I am in crowded shopping malls during holiday season, packed movie theaters when there is a great movie out, I ride the subway during rush hour in the major metropolitan area in which I live - all situations which have similar attraction for people who wish to do evil.

As I said originally, I grudgingly concede that this is now the world in which we live and we have to submit to some type of scrutiny to insure our safety. But I think some measures, such as, IMO, inspecting a wallet (and simply because it was in plain sight, rather than in my pocket where men would carry it and would not be subjected to inspection) reflect a "taking it to the next level" mentality, and it's that thinking that I do not concede or condone.

blueyedprincess
10-29-2008, 10:36 PM
This thread is making me glad DF bought a clear backpack for our trip. :thumbsup:

Marker
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I wish they would just disappear forever. Probably one of the worst items ever invented. They are hideous!!!!

So, sounds like a vote for fashion over functionality.

Personally, I'd much rather see someone with a fanny pack, than a huge packpack hanging off their back, bumping into everone around them.

CaptainSad
10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
My biggest problem with the bag checks is that they're a pointless intrusion. If they were in any way effective, I'd be okay with it. But they aren't. As many people pointed out here, I could have 200 pounds of TNT under my shirt and no one would know. As long as I'm not stupid enough to hide it in a bag, I'd be fine.

Given that, I'd rather they just not waste my time and invade my privacy needlessly.

I can't believe you just said this. Intrusive? You know what you would look like with 200 pounds of TNT strapped to your body. Like Jessica said in other posts. You would not have made it though the gates. People are trained for this kind of thing. If you had that on you, you would not be acting like you normally would. There are signs...If you think this is intrusive, I think you should go live in the Middle East for a little while. After 9-11 I want people to check everything they can. I use fanny packs, and clear back packs when I go to WDW. I am more then happy to let them go though them. The trick is to have them off and all compartments open for inspection. You will be though the line in a few seconds. If anyone has to take their bag off then open them after they get there then they deserve to miss those first few rides when they get there.

Renfairwedding
10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I think the bag check is only there because it makes us feel better and we now expect it. What is really stopped by the quick check. With not much effort I would bet many number of dangerous items could be concealed and brought into the parks even those bottles of alcohal. A true check would be like the ones in the airports that include x-ray bag checks and metal detector for each person. I myself do not take personal searches lightly and as routine or accepted. to the end

I really do not see the Disney bag inspection effective in stopping someone truly intent on harming people or damaging the parks. With such so many different ways to enter the parks a person with intent to cause harm is not strolling through the front gate with the classic round black bomb and burning fuse.

OK that a silly example but I really don't think the bag checks to be effective.

vicster
10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
I also feel it's an invasion of my privacy at the airport and WDW, however, unfortunately it's a way of life for us now and something we have to do. I was at WDW 9-11 and it was the day after when they started checking bags. They were afraid terrorists were going to hit areas where there were a lot of people. Face it, everyone was stunned when a plane flew into the twin towers and didn't know what would happen next. It's certainly changed our lives and we have to do what we have to do. So if all I have to complain about is getting my bag checked at WDW then I need to get a life! Think about the people who died 9-11 and our soldiers risking their lives in Iraq.

dtootsie42
10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm really sorry that this happened. It can put a damper on things when the security is so rude. We have had a couple of experiences with that. I stopped bringing my fanny pack after one experience and now my hubby carries a small back pack and we put things in that.

I will say when we were at DisneyLand a few weeks ago they really searched the bags,they stick their hands in the bag and feel the outside of the bag, it was not just a casual glance. It was pretty amazing. I saw two or three people get turned away for what I don't know but I did hear one security person call over the police that was standing there and told them they know better then to bring stuff like that into the park. I wonder what kind of stuff they had in the bag?!

I agree that a bag check is not going to stop somebody really intent on doing some harm. I'm still amazed at the differences between the two bag checks and thought that DisneyLand really took this seriously.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-30-2008, 11:05 AM
See, the point is that it is effective because word gets out that there are people checking bags so it acts as a deterrent. Word also gets out about the PCOs, so it's also a deterrent. So while you feel like they aren't checking that well, the idea alone is enough to deter someone wanting to bring something in.

Plus, if they were really wanting to bring something in, they wouldn't go through the front gates, which is why the side entrances get the more intense checks, the ones not used by Guests but by CM's.

As CaptainSad said, they are trained to spot someone who is carrying a concealed weapon. Your body movements are different, your hand will typically unconsciously stray to where you have it concealed, you'll avoid eye contact, you'll be moving more quickly, looking all around everywhere.

Trust me when I say this because we had the president of all of WDW Security come in and talk to our class about it. He didn't tell us all the tricks but he explained a good deal about the true intents and purposes of the bag check.

Plus, as bad as it's going to sound, the possibility of Central Florida getting hit by an attack is actually very small. Why? Well, because it's the perfect place for a base of operations. Think about it - we are such an international location, that any body from another country would just blend right in and you wouldn't think twice about it. Also, where else can you get a one week rental with no questions asked? Some even offer a one month rental, no questions asked? Why would any body wanting to cause harm go to a place where they would fit right in and no one would even notice? Sure, they could try....but it would cause so much more trouble for their own country, plus it would ruin the pride of their country, which in reality is the purpose of the attacks - the terrorists do it for the pride of their country because it's what they believe to be true. So really, Orlando chances of being attacked are small....only someone who didn't know what they were doing and what the location is about would be dumb enough to do it. Again, all pointed out by the President of Disney Security.

Imagineer1981
10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
So, sounds like a vote for fashion over functionality.

Personally, I'd much rather see someone with a fanny pack, than a huge packpack hanging off their back, bumping into everone around them.

Lets just face it, certain people should not wear them..they are not flattering. But overall it seems people are really irritated by the bag checks. In all honesty I wouldn't care if they padded me down or whatever, its as long as the line keeps moving. It bothers me when people run all the way up to check point to "get ahead" of others and then spend 20 minutes unzipping a backpack, purse, fanny pack, diaper bag, cooler. Please be considerate, stand to the side if you have a lot to open, get it ready and then get in line...its like at the airport, get with the program!

DisneyFr33k
11-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Wow, I didn't think my post would stir such wonderful conversations and points. My intent was not to complain about security and the need to check bags. I feel safer knowing that they are serached. However, the lack of consistency concerns me and the rude behaviors and lack of compassion took me off guard this past trip. I agree with the replies that state if someone really wants to do harm, they will as they are not scanning us and our bags as we enter. I hope Disney will never have to deal with anything like this in the future and it continues to be a magical place for us all to visit! :mickey:

Ian
11-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I can't believe you just said this. Intrusive? You know what you would look like with 200 pounds of TNT strapped to your body.I think you may have taken my post just a tad too literally ... 200 pounds of TNT was obviously an overstatement to make a point.

I pretty much disagree with the rest of your post, as well. I'm very confident that I could smuggle at a minimum an automatic weapon into the parks without anyone noticing and I'm equally certain I could smuggle enough explosives in to cause some serious mayhem.

I mean a guy was going to take down an airliner with a shoe bomb. Are you telling me I couldn't walk in to WDW with a bomb in my shoe??

I'm very willing to submit to functional and purposeful searches in the name of security. I just find Disney's to be a pointless waste of time, geared only around providing the illusion of security. And as far as it being some form of deterrent ... I find this notion laughable. Airline security, even pre-9/11, was 100 times more effective than what Disney has in place and we all see how well that deterred people, don't we??

I think the bag check is only there because it makes us feel better and we now expect it. What is really stopped by the quick check. With not much effort I would bet many number of dangerous items could be concealed and brought into the parks even those bottles of alcohol.Agreed. That was my point, as well.

MinnieMommie
11-02-2008, 10:18 AM
I have no complaints about the bag check but will conceed that different security guards ask different things of me when I offer my bag (and different things of the people in the group I am with). I offer my bag fully open on the table for the guards to inspect. On occasion I am asked to remove items. On other occasions I am asked to remove and open some items. It is always quick and professional.

I think the security bag check is more than for the purpose of making us feel better. I think they have a sense of what they are looking for and other secuity features in addition to the bag checks. I am sure I am not the only one they have asked to see the content of the items inside the bag. :mickey:

Disney Doll
11-03-2008, 08:24 AM

I actually have to agree. When we were there a couple of weeks ago we had a good sized diaper bag with numerous compartments. They never did more than a quick glance. It just seemed like a waste of time. DH and I even joked after one bag check that we could have stashed a gun at the bottom of the bag and no one would have noticed. I don't mind the bag checks, but if you are going to make people wait in line to be checked then at least do a good job. What they have now is silly.

TinkerbellT421
11-03-2008, 10:01 AM
OK, I was even going to entertain the idea of posting to this thread but I have to throw a couple of things out there.

First of all, does everyone forget the story last year where a grandmothers from New York brought a gun in her purse and tried to get thru that "quick check" security point in MK? She said she carried it for "safety" and everyone on this board posted how..."how needs safety walking into MK that they need to bring a gun"...ok so she wasnt exactly going into to shoot anyone while on IASW but still....she TRIED to bring it in...

I believe that anything on anyone should be taking off no matter how it is attached to you...via tied...not tied...whatever....Try to get through security with your purse still attached to your shoulder...thats not going to work.

DBF has a camera case with two zippers on it that attaches to his belt....They have asked him to unzipper those two zippers...one holds the camera the other zipper pocket holds the battery pack....

These people are well-trained for them to be able to do "quick look" inspections and know what to look for...and Im sure your character or position of how you handle yourself will make you look more suspicious to them so they will be mroe thorough with you than the first person....
HOWEVER I do not agree with the "flirtacious" manner of the security check person and the "Offering of your personal items" I really do think that I would have gone out of my way to say something to him, the girl he was flirting with and make my point well-known. But I do agree that the fanny pack should have been taken off. Even though I understand it was a hassle with it being tied in a knot around your person...you knew you had to go thru security check....you should have not tied it until you got into the park. But thats just my personal opinion.

That is all. I feel better now lol....Im Italian I always have to throw my own :twocents: worth lol...sorry

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
These people are well-trained for them to be able to do "quick look" inspections and know what to look for...and Im sure your character or position of how you handle yourself will make you look more suspicious to them so they will be mroe thorough with you than the first person....

Finally, someone who sees what I've been trying to explain. What may not seem like a thorough search is because they have already determined you are not a threat.

I agree with the rest of your post as well, this just made me happy since someone else gets it. Us Italians gotta stick together!

lindique
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I remember reading somewhere that a big part of the "bag check" is to slow down the crowds so that undercover security agents can observe the entering guests.

kemps@wdw
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, all security checkpoints are not consistent w/their routines, and the security guy you encountered was obviously an idiot. That being said, everyone should assume that whatever you're carrying into the park needs to be removed and searched before you enter. Whether or not we like it, and even though some security won't require removal, just a simple glance into the interior of your bag, better to have it ready to be searched, than to force others behind you to wait while you get everything off and open. We, personally, have our packs off, open and ready to be checked before we get to the security table. Unless you're a rookie, (which most of us are not), you should be familiar w/the process. I hate having to wait on someone unprepared to be checked and I DO NOT want to be the one that everyone else is waiting on! So...just grin :D and bear it, and make yours and everyone elses security checks as quick as possible! And if I'm behind you...Thank you!!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
11-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Unfortunately, all security checkpoints are not consistent w/their routines, :
My last job involved working in a high security facility and one of the things I learned is that one aspect of doing good security is actually to be inconsistent about how you do it. That way people can't predict procedures. If they could, then they could work out consistent ways to get around the security.

Even airport security is inconsistent for that reason. Sometimes they want the videocam out of bag, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they want shoes in a tray sometimes they want them individually through the screener and so on. Sometimes my carryon gets checked sometimes not. The precise procedures are somewhat difficult to predict, intentionally.

So, to say the Disney security checkspots are inconsistent is actually to say that Disney is doing security correctly.

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
you knew you had to go thru security check....you should have not tied it until you got into the park.

Yes, I knew I had to go through security, but in my defense let me explain my prior experiences that week. Multiple other times at other parks when I attempted to remove my not-yet-broken fanny pack I was told "don't bother removing it". Thus, when my pack broke, I thought I could tie it on without issue. Now having experienced the inconsistencies with the security check points, I would obviously do it differently.

TinkerbellT421
11-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Finally, someone who sees what I've been trying to explain. What may not seem like a thorough search is because they have already determined you are not a threat.

I agree with the rest of your post as well, this just made me happy since someone else gets it. Us Italians gotta stick together!

LOL! Just once again we have the same tastes and opinions! lol! I think we might be sistas from another motha! lol! Yay baby Italians have to stick together! :mickey:

Disney Doll
11-04-2008, 10:41 AM

So if they have already determined that I'm not a threat why check me at all? It's irritating to me for one because the baby food I normally use comes in glass jars. Since you are not allowed to bring glass into the parks I switched my son's diet when really I'm certain I could have very easily smuggled in a few jars of baby food each day. I'm not trying to cause a stir and I willingly comply with the rules, but it just seems like if you are only going to do the security checks halfway then why bother at all? I'm sure they do catch someone from time to time, but I'm also sure that many many people bring in stuff they are not supposed to and get through the security checks. You just have to have some degree of trust in the people around you when you go out in public. When you go to the mall they don't screen every person for weapons, but I still feel safe.

A Big Kid
11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
In some respects, the inconsistency is good because it means the people who are "casing" the parks can not detect patterns.

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
In some respects, the inconsistency is good because it means the people who are "casing" the parks can not detect patterns.

Agreed, but I would love a consistent set of non-negotiables... i.e. "to remove or not remove fanny packs etc". And to be treated as an idiot b/c I didn't have it off after being told all week by several other security officers from other parks to keep it on really was the icing on the cake for me. I'll stop my :rant: now.

WedWay Peoplemover
11-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Just remember, we are talking about human beings. No 2 are alike.