PDA

View Full Version : Trip In Jeopardy, Pixie Dust Needed

WeLuvBuzz
10-29-2008, 12:30 AM
DH and I are scheduled to be in the world November 8-15 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I have been planning this trip for months (at least 180 days as since we are staying offsite I made ADRs at 180 days 6 days in a row). We have 2 DS 18 away at college (2 hours away near wear my parents live in the summer and fall) and a DD 16 at home who attends a private school 15 miles away (these details about the kids are part of the story). We made sure the dates worked with my parents so they could watch DD. We booked plan tickets using ff miles that we cannot get back to save money. We are staying at a timeshare that cost us a non-refundable $164. We bought our MVMCP tickets using Disney Reward dollars. Our other 2 days in the parks are being done with days left on old tickets as money is very tight because of the kids tuition costs, which we are very happy that we can pay and still get by, Also, over the past 20 years we have had 5 days at DW , 6 days skiing, and about 9 days of overnight trips when my parents or sister watched our kids. We also have made about 8 trips to the world with our kids. We have been very blessed to have had these opportunities and this vacation alone with DH really is just icing on the cake.
Now for the problems, about a month ago we had horrible wind storms. We had some damage to our house, but not enough that insurance would cover. When the contractor came to repair there was some confusion and it did not all get done, but they are trying to charge us for it. The bottom line is a $900 repair may now double and I do not know how we are going to pay for it. We live in a 110 year old Victorian that has an outside and inside entrance to the basement. While DH was doing some yardwork a squirrel entered the basement and is still in there. We put a cage trap down there, but he keeps getting the bait and getting away. How can I go on vacation if this rodent is still in our basement (which we only use for storage)? I can’t expect my parents to deal with this. Lastly, I received an e-mail from my sister today inviting us to my only nephew’s first outside the house/family birthday party (he will be 4) on November 15 at 9:30am in the town 2 hours away where she also lives. I sent an e-mail back reminding her that we were not back until later that day. She then calls me as I am leaving work to see if my parents can come home early to come to the party. DD has mandatory High School Varsity swim practice that morning. Even though she can drive herself to and from practice, she has only been driving since Labor Day weekend. If she has a problem DH and I are on a plane and my parents are now 2 hours away. She made me feel guilty by saying how much she wanted our parents at Conner’s first real party. Please keep in mind 7 months out of the year my parents live in Florida, so they have limited contact with their grandchildren. Two weekends ago they spent the weekend at Ohio State for Parents and Family Weekend with my boys, DH, and me. They did watch my nephew a month ago when my sister and her husband went to Vegas and I have watched him before when they went on a trip, so it is not like she is being treated differently .
I called my parents to see if they wanted to go to the party but they told me they were not allowed to answer which led me to believe they want to go. I offered to cancel the trip, but they said not to. My sister also did call me back and say not to cancel the trip as they should not have waited until the last minute to schedule the party. The bottom line is though I feel really guilty about the whole trip. Between the house and the party I feel like God is telling me to stay home and take care of my kids. I don’t feel like I could even enjoy it at this point as I am so upset. I did have a great time planning the trip and thinking about it helped me get through some boring days at work. We are going for XMAS2010. So I do have another trip to look forward to. Thanks for listening fellow Intercotees. I know you understand how I feel and just writing this made me feel better. I really think we should just stay home and be thankful for what we have.

VWL Mom
10-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Here's some pixie dust coming your way :pixie::pixie:

If your parents want to go to the party, let them go. Maybe you could arrange for your daughter to carpool if you are worried about here driving. DS16 plays Varsity HS Baseball and the group of parents call on each other when needed. She may even find a friend to stay with for the remainder of the day until you return.

Hopefully everything else will fall into place and you can enjoy your trip. The house is one thing, the relatives another. Don't let them stress you out, life is to short! Enjoy what you can, while you can - you never know what tomorrow may bring.

One last dose of pixie dust for luck:pixie::pixie:

DizNee143
10-29-2008, 08:55 AM
i would still go on the trip...
forget about the squirrel..put up a bunch of traps just before you leave and pray for the best...
let your dd drive herself to practice..if she has a problem..which i doubt that will happen...she can call a friend...and if anything ask there parents to help her...im sure someone will be nice enough to help her out if she needed it!
and the party...well you said it was last minute..dont feel bad you cant go..your sister should of known about your vacation..since i imagined you have talked to her about it over time..i mean it does stink you cant be there for your nephew..but there will be many more bdays you can go too..
so go to disney with your hubby and have a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mickey:

WeLuvBuzz
10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the pep talks. I am still just so depressed about everything and I feel like the gods are conspiring against me. I was so looking forward to this trip as I have not been on vacation since summer 07. Part of me says go, but another part says I will be so miserable that I don't think even my happy place can perk me up. I guess the worst part is that my sister did know when we were going and wanted us to make late adjustments because of her poor planning.

SBETigg
10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Sounds like you could really use some sunshine, good times, and magic. I wish you all the best.

dtootsie42
10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you could use some magic :pixie::magic:

I would go on your trip. Like somebody else said set up a bunch of traps in the basement and hope for the best. Let your daughter drive or contact other swim parents and ask if they could help. My daughter ice skates and there is always somebody who is willing to help.

If your parents want to go to the party encourage them to go. Don't feel guilty because as was stated this was last minute and your family knew that you have been planning this for a long time.

Enjoy yourself and celebrate those 20 years!

WeLuvBuzz
10-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone. DH finally acquiesced to calling in professionals to remove the rodent, so hopefully that will be resolved soon. I am ignoring the contractor issue, that DH started and I will have to finish, until after we get back. Even though my sister now un-invited my parents to the party I think if my parents can make sure DD gets to practice safely a little early they can leave and be only a little late for the party. I have a good friend who lives close to us, whose daughter used to swim for the HS my daughter now swims for dealt with this in the past, and I am sure she will make sure DD gets home ok. We can then either take a taxi home from the airport or park the car there. Yes it will add $50 to the trip, but it is worth it to avoid upsetting anyone. Thanks for everyone's well wishes. It just seemed like everything dumped on me at once and I was already stressed out about leaving the kids anyway and being so far away in case they needed me ha ha.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-30-2008, 10:46 PM
It sounds like you have things worked out and you'll be going on your trip. And don't feel guilty about missing your nephew's party. If your sister really wanted you there she would have scheduled it on a different date. It sounds like she was trying to mess up your trip and make you feel guilty. But I'm just basing that on what members of my family would do. (No E & C, that doesn't mean you!)
Go and leave your cares behind and enjoy your time alone with your husband.

Cinderelley
11-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Go and enjoy your trip. It is life problems like these that are the reasons you and your DH need some down time together.

cfoshe
11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
I remember a couple of years ago my DW and I went down for our 15 wedding anniversary without kids. I was feeling guilty because we were not taking the kids. We had never been anywhere with out the kids before, and I almost did not go. Great think about WDW, when the plan lands you will not think about your issues at home until you get back home.
GO, have a good time and dont worry about what others are doing and want you to do.