PDA

View Full Version : Hs now a half-day park?

Mendelson
10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I never thought I'd say it, but as I look at our upcoming trip I'm thinking we'll only devote a half day to HS.

For those of you have been multiple times, maybe you can agree with me? I've seen Indy a LOT and quite honestly can skip it. Haven't heard much good about Lights, Motors, etc. so won't do that. The Backlot tour...done that a lot and it's only been downsized. Star Tours...old, don't like it anymore. Sounds Dangerous...this is still here??? The animation tour...used to love it, but it's just not the same. One Man's Dream....like this but have done it a lot, not sure if it's worth going back to. My wife would like to see the Muppet movie but I could skip that too....the technology and effects are very old.

The way I see it, TSM a great addition and there's still ToT and RnR. We like Mermaid (but could see how this could easily be skipped) and Beast.... and, I guess that's about it. It kind of makes me sad that as I plan our day at this park, I just don't see it being a full day here.

Part of it is that I've done some of these things enough to be "full" of them and part of it is our own personal taste...but does anyone else feel this way about this park?

Belster
10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
I would have to agree. We just got back and found ourselves very annoyed with this park. It is hard to navigate a stroller through and there is just not that much quality to the attractions there. What I will say is that I love the stunt show, lights, motors, ect.... :thumbsup: Love TOT:thumbsup: Love Rock n Roller Coaster:thumbsup:Love Toy Story:thumbsup:and Love Fantasmic... So for me next time I will go for those few things and leave in order to save myself a headache. Again I guess it is personal opinion.

One more thing my DS3 loved Playhouse Disney:mickey:

PeterPan
10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't know who told you to skip "Lights, Motors, Action" but they were WRONG. It is spectacular.

I frankly don't know how anyone can call any of the Disney parks a half-day park. We never have any trouble filling up entire days at all of the parks. We really skip nothing - no matter how many times we have done it. If you ever take in the attractions with people who have never been before, it will make you look at the attractions in an entirely different light.

Mendelson
10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Pete,

Regarding Lights, it is the general reviews I've read of it, clips on Youtube, and a quite long discussion of it on this very message board. I'm sure some people like it, I just don't think it would be a good way to spend our time.

I should say that doing this park as a half day isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm usually a bit of a task master at the parks and my wife has begged that on this trip we have more time at the resort and even mini golf....

Tinksalot
10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Ak and DS are half day parks for us. We always anticipate staying the whole day, but by mid afternoon we've seen and done everything.

Faver
10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I also agree. I just received our official maps (sent from disney.com) for our upcoming Christmas trip, and DS was the park (next to AK) with the fewest attractions...

I'll just have to spend more time in MK, Epcot, and DTD:thumbsup:

Catzle
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
My family really enjoyed Lights Motor Action and it is so worth seeing. I think you will be surprised maybe not an every year every trip thing but worth seeing at least once!

jonsmom
10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I absolutely agree. There isn't anything there that I would want to see/do again. Lights, Motor Action is great, but once is good for me. We are going again in December, but only going to HS for TSM and Osborne Lights.

Ian
10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
You may feel differently after you try Toy Story Mania for the first time. ;)

kemps@wdw
10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
DHS has always bee a 1/2 day park for us. Now that our DD is 15, we don't really do most of the shows. We're @ rope drop in the AM, so we hit RRC, TOT, (usually multiple times), the Indy show (depending on show times), Star Tours, Muppet 3-D (again depending on show time), and "One Man's Dream". We may or may not do lunch, and hit the big dogs again on the way out, usually around mid-day. I am anxious to try TSM as I have heard good things about it! But we have always been a 2-park-a-day family and if we miss anything the 1st time around, we'll be back! :thumbsup:

Mendelson
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Ian:

I know we'll love it. I also know that if we go straight there at rope drope we'll be able to ride it maybe twice before the line gets insane, thus not lending itself to something we can do multiple times and take up all day with. (I mean, we easily could, but it gets to a point of being an inefficient use of time after waits hit two hours.)

AnnetteFan
10-29-2008, 02:47 AM
I've always looked at HWS at a half day park. Once you find out the things you like to do, you don't have to stay any longer. If all you want to do is ToT, RnRC and a few other activities then by all means do those things and skip what you aren't interested in.

mermaidmarian
10-29-2008, 06:18 AM
You may feel differently after you try Toy Story Mania for the first time. ;)

Well that's true. After you have finished everything else, if you haven't secured a FP, you can spend the remaining half of the day waiting in queue. ;)

FWIW, I was really disappointed in HS when we were there in early August. The whole back half of the park was closed at 7:00 p.m., despite the park hours having it open to 9:00 p.m.. I complained.

Tbelle1976
10-29-2008, 06:55 AM
I would normally agree, but I think our next trip in about 4 1/2 months will be different. My DS is 7 and is really looking forward to Studios. I really hope he's not let down. Any other year it's always been a half day park for us, as I could easily spend 2 days in both MK and Epcot.

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-29-2008, 06:59 AM
To all of my Disney fan Brothers and Sisters who claim that that any of the parks are 1/2 day parks, I have this to say. SLOW DOWN.

Seriously guys, so much has been put into the scenery and everything by the Imagineers that I cant fathom ever seeing everything. There is so much Magic that has been hidden in plain site. Dont over look it.

If you are needing a new way to experience a park due to countless trips, sit down with friends or family and think of a themed trip. What the theme is depends on you. For example: at the MK visit, all the attractions in the order that thier corresponding movies came out. At any park you can do a photo scavenger hunt. Its only limited to what you can come up with.

The only way I would let any park not have its own full day is if I am pressed for time due to a flight leaving or some such.

Have fun at the parks and remember to look at everything with the eyes of a child.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I guess it would depend on what attractions you plan doing and who you are with...for us, HS is always a full day park as is AK....there are several rides and attractions I would gladly skip, Lights, Motor, Action for one, but my son loves it and so we do it.....so by the time we do what I want, he wants and Grandma wants, its a full day:mickey:

acetate
10-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I'll meet you half way on this one. I think this park is the one currently in need of new rides or shows to spruce things up, but at the same time there was plenty for us to see and do. Depends on your style I suppose. I could take a half a day just poking around all the shops. We were there in Sept. Did the Great Movie Ride, Star Tours, Muppets 3-D, RRC, TTT, had a nice buffet lunch, saw Fantasmic. It was a pretty full day, but I agree they need to update to keep current with Hollywood. Especially with Indy or Star Wars. There have been 3 more Star Wars films since the ride opened all those years ago ! Plus a new Indy film. Would be nice to reference those somehow.

DDuck66
10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Funny thing is but my DW and I were just discussing the same thing. I think that a lot of the rides could use a major upgrade. I love some of the things we do, but we usually only spend about 6 hours at DHS. TGMR could use a major upgrade not to mention Star Tours, and Muppet Vision. I know they have the new American Idol coming but that does not really do anything for us (and we are fans of the TV series). I love the new parade and TSM but with a few more upgrade, the park could move back up to a full day.

brownie
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I would be hard-pressed to spend only a half day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. There's too much I like to do there and I really like the atmosphere.

Greenlawler
10-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I may be worng but sounds to me like you do not have three little boys. We spend nearly half our vacation here. Between having to ride TSM every morning, Star Tours after that, and then see the Power Rangers multiple times, Fantasmic, and the loads of other characters to meet, we barley have time for the other rides.

wedway76
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
We usually spend a full day in HS but if time were an issue, I could see cutting it down to a half day. Preferably the second half of the day so we can catch Fantasmic.

Imagineer1981
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't know if I totally agree...maybe a 3/4 day park..he he. We usually get there at like 11 and spend most of the day there then. Its our sleep in a bit park. But LMA is definitely a must see, at least once. Star Tours is old but classic and still fun, as is Muppets. Even Great Movie Ride is a must do as a classic. Maybe thats the problem, besides TSM, most attractions at DHS are now classics and not fresh

Marker
10-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Guess that's one of the the things that makes WDW what it is, lots of Variety. If you don't care for one park, there are 3 others to choose from. Not everyone likes the same stuff, and that's fine. No need to convince other to agree or disagree, everyone has their own tastes. And I would never avoid an attraction based solely on the postings of others. I'd much rather see it for myself and make my own judgement.

Personally, I'm a big fan of DHS. I wouldn't mind of they did something different with the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I wouldn't mind of The Great Movie Ride got a makeover with Disney films ( I know, those are fighting words to some folks). I love MuppetVision 3-D, and Tower of Terror, and Rockin' Roller Coaster. Toy Story Midway Mania is awesome. I always enjoy the stage shows, and especially the street performances. I still enjoy Star Tours, but have visions of what they could do with that attraction using newer technology.

I can easily spend a whole day at DHS, and more.

mermaidmarian
10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
To all of my Disney fan Brothers and Sisters who claim that that any of the parks are 1/2 day parks, I have this to say. SLOW DOWN.

Seriously guys, so much has been put into the scenery and everything by the Imagineers that I cant fathom ever seeing everything. There is so much Magic that has been hidden in plain site. Dont over look it.

I'm going to disagree with you here. My opinion about whether the park is a half day or more has little if anything to do with rushing.

They have eliminated most of the working studios aspect at DHS and not replaced it with much of anything at all. The Backlot Tour, something I did this year for the first time in several trips, is a shadow of its former self - a major disappointment, IMO. The park has several large scale show attractions that run on a schedule which often precludes seeing them all, even if one wanted to - or using one's time efficiently. I find the park gets very hot mid-day, and I get annoyed at having to hang around to wait for a show just so that they can fill the theatre up completely. The shopping, which was in earlier visits, a fine and very interesting way to fill time, has turned into the same old vanilla fare - Villians on Vine isn't even unique anymore.

I love the theme and look of this park. I've just been disappointed over the past few recent visits. I'd love to see more "performance art" and instead of plain character meet & greets, to experience the characters out and about as if it really is their workplace, which is how I used to feel about the Studios.

yjgirl32
10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
I think it all depends on what each individual likes to do. Some people like to stay all day at a park and get as much out of it as possible and can come up with great ideas on how to look or ride things. While other poeple would rather enjoy what they can at the park and then hop on over to another park that they might enjoy more things. No Way of spending time at the parks is bad. Have a magical day!

KylesMom
10-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Sorry, but I can't see any of the parks as a 1/2 day park. There may be things that you've seen time and time again which you choose to skip every other trip (Backlot Tour, Indy come to mind here), but I can't imagine spending just a few hours at DHS - unless of course you have two days to do all four parks and just want the highlights.

Nicely stated. Even if we're skipping the things you have mentioned, there is no way that we could possibly hit the main attractions, participate in Character meet & greets, capture photo ops with all of the marvelous props around the parks, have a nice lunch or dinner and view Fantasmic in 1/2 a day.

cal5755
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
We usually do one full day at DHS....and the other parks have 2 or more days... of course DHS is the one park where we take a very relaxed pace. The only thing we have to experience is TSM so if we miss something it is no big deal.

January-2007
10-29-2008, 12:18 PM
We spend at least two full days there. We like this park very very much. The streetmousephere is amazing.

mainemajor
10-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Last year when we were there we spent more time watching the street performers and other park guests. This can be a lot of fun. We no longer have small children so it is easier for us to sit, relax and not worry about doing a lot. HS does have some great attractions and a lot that we skip. As with anything it is what you make of it and we make the most of everything.

LandFan
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
We agree. I could spend 2 days at AK, but DHS is pretty boring after you've been there a few times. We only spend one day there and not usually a full day either. We love TOT, TSM and RNRC. We always manage to see Muppets, ride GMR & Star Tours, and typically watch B&TBeast.

Sometimes we hit fantasmic but after you've seen it a few times, it becomes a bit of a hassle to push through the crowds to see it at the end of a tiring day - and anymore, we are usually gone from that park by 3 or 4pm anyway.

I think it need more rides - there are an awful lot of shows but very few rides. That would help a lot.

Sinewiz
10-31-2008, 02:31 AM
It amazes me when I hear comments that any of the parks are only worthy of half a day. If you feel that way it's time to slow down and enjoy the little things. Do a little shopping, make reservations for a nice meal or two, sit on a park bench and have a cold drink and soak up the atmosphere. Observe the architecture and beautiful landscaping. Disney World regardless of the park, is far more than simply racing from one attraction to another and some type of break neck speed. And as far as attractions go, while I've seen them all I still get a degree of enjoyment watching them each time. Some times that enjoyment comes from simply watching others who may be enjoying it for the first time. It may sound sappy but that’s how I find enjoyment for even multiple days at all the parks.

DizneyRox
10-31-2008, 06:59 AM
I would be hard-pressed to spend only a half day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. There's too much I like to do there and I really like the atmosphere.
Itrhink Disney did a number on that Sept 28th if I'm mistaken. MGM has always been a 1/2 day park for us. Most of the reason for us going there was Fantasmic! and now that's "seasonal" as well. I couldn't be less interested in the AI (unless Vote for the Worst works there too), and HSM interests me even less.

jrpersinger
10-31-2008, 07:57 AM
DS used to be a half day park for us UNTIL our kiddos got old enough to ride the bigger rides. ToT, RnRC, GMR, TM, Fantasmic, Beauty and the Beast, Star Tours, Stunt Show, Breakfast at H&V, Dinner at 50s Prime Time (to name a few).... we are there all day, open to close, and could keep on going! We really enjoy DS now.

TheRustyScupper
10-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Ak and DS are half day parks for us. We always anticipate staying the whole day, but by mid afternoon we've seen and done everything.

We agree.

BMan62
10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
We agree.

:ditto:

LMA is a waste of space, to me and DW, at least. Once was quite enough. Noise, uncomfortable seating, etc. make it a 'one and done' show.

Backlot Tour is also something that either needs updated or replaced. Wandering through a building of real movie/show props is neat - once, but without updates and without anything actually going on on the property, it has become rather dull and lifeless.

Love the art deco buildings and the streetmosphere characters, but most of this park is in dire need of some attention.

DNS
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
DHS has been 1/2 day park for us since about the 3rd time we went to WDW. Our last 2 or 3 trips have been more like 3 hours. Not even 1/2 day. I totally agree that so many things there are smaller than they once were and others don't seem to hold interest for multiple trips. This is by far my least favorite park.

joonyer
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
you can make any park a half-day park, if you choose to do only certain attractions that interst you. As for DHS, we like to ride RnRC, TOT and other attractions (haven't been since TSM opened) as many times as possible, not just once, so we choose to stay most of the day and/or night.

CaptSmee
10-31-2008, 04:37 PM
My family really enjoyed Lights Motor Action and it is so worth seeing. I think you will be surprised maybe not an every year every trip thing but worth seeing at least once!

If you haven't seen it, fit it in. If you've seen it, skip it...once was enough for me...

BelleCiavo
11-01-2008, 08:23 AM
We really like DS and go back multiple times, but we are park hoppers. Last trip, September, we went in the AM to make sure we got TSMM in multiple times and ds6 wanted to do the Jedi Training Academy (he was chosen!) Like someone else mentioned, there are tons of character meet and greets and my teenagers love riding TOT and RRC over and over. We also liked the new Block Party. We are usually there at opening one day of our trip and out by two-ish, then back at least once more in the afternoon and stay till closing, even in prior years.

Seasonscraps
11-01-2008, 08:37 AM
DHS is pretty much 1/2 day maybe 3/4 day park for us - that's actually one of the things I like about it. We get to see everything we want to see, do everything we want to do without rushing! I'm not exactly sure why this calls the suggestion to slow down and appreciate things. It's all personal preference - no one is wrong here.

We don't have an interest in seeing the Lights Motor Action show again - we saw it once and that was enough. We seem to alternate the Indy show and Beauty & the Beast - we have seen them both several times. We ride the rides we like, have some lunch, maybe catch the parade and call it a day. And it's usually a great day! :D

MickeysEars
11-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I think we can take this park slow and make it a full day park. last trip we had to go back to catch Mater and Lighting because the first day was rained out. it was a drag to use a park day, but it was the one thing my DS was looking to see. We dont hit parks at break-neck speed to fill in as much as possible. So if we wander around and finish early then we can go do something else and come back for Fantasmic! But if we hit the rides, shows and eat at a sitdown (for the Fantasmic! priority seating) then I can see where we would be there for the whole day. Plus, there is somthing to be said for just sitting on a bench and doing some people watching...that is an attraction in and of itself :blush:

bmj721
11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I agree with everyone who has said to slow down and enjoy the park, any of the parks, at a much slower rate. Find all the nooks and crannies that are out of the main walkways. Sit for awhile and breathe in the very essence of Disney air. Be one of those people watchers and look for some elusive hidden mickeys. This is so much better than rushing from here to there, from Fast Pass to Fast Pass. Otherwise your day is soon over without anything new to add to your brain's Disney memory. And then the park remains old and boring. The parks can't always change. We can find new ways to make our time there a fresh adventure. This is how my DH and I attack the parks. Of course, we don't live in a neighboring state, so, we are not there on a weekly or monthly basis. More like every other year or farther. Yet, if we didn't approach our time at WDW from this way I'm sure it could become stale for us, too.
:mickey:

MinnieMommie
11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
HS still remains a half day visit for us. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
The Studios has been a half day park for a while now. The only thing that might keep you there longer than a half day is the long wait for Toy Story Mania :laughing: