PDA

View Full Version : The Moderate Resorts Question...

SandmanGStefani24
10-27-2008, 10:51 PM
OK, so there's a good shot I am going to be able to squeeze in a quick trip to the world again here in the next couple of months, or early next year. So, here's my question :
I've stayed at POP, and loved it. I've also stayed at some pretty darn nice hotels for the same money as a moderate. So...am I better off saving my bucks and booking a value, or should I book a nicer offsite, or perhaps a moderate? Sorry, balancing the bargain hunter side of me with the side of me that's been spoiled on my two recent vacations away from the land...Let me know what you think, and what experiences you have...Thanks!:marg:

sportsguy2315
10-28-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Port Orleans complex if you've never been there...I like the theme and the fact it's not on the doorstep of any park so it's relatively quiet.

tigger_ttfn
10-28-2008, 06:50 AM
I think it depends on what you want out of a resort. We are practically there a few hours to sleep and shower. We love Pop, but the last couple of times we were able to move up to a moderate for basically no additional $$ (love those discount codes!).

The moderates to me seem a little less "value" oriented, if you know what I mean. Everything is a little higher quality. Is it worth the extra $$ ? I say only if you really want to enjoy the resort. They are slightly nicer in theme, food, accomodations. But, really if you love Pop, there really isn't much of a difference if all you need is a bed and a shower.

Tbelle1976
10-28-2008, 06:53 AM
We've stayed at both value and moderate. Can't say I have any real complaints about either, at least to the point that I would not reserve a room again. I would say whatever your budget lets you afford, go with that.

I can say, however, I would never stay off property ever again. Way too much of a hassle. I would rather stay at a value resort on property, than a little better hotel off property.

JoDisney
10-28-2008, 07:56 AM
If this is a quick trip, I would stay at POP. POP is an Epcot resort. It is in a good location. The resort has everything you could want.

CAS
10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Moderates are a different kind of "better" hotel. It's really easy to find better hotels somewhere else; luxury doesn't cost that much nowadays to get a great room with spa/room service and such. Disney moderates are huge hotels. They probably are best described as being values with higher quality everything. But not exceedingly higher quality. Any Embassy is of course a better room, but moderates are a different kind of nice. ;)

Move up to the delux and that's a different story. :cloud9:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
We use our hotel to sleep and shower and don't hang out there much....having said that we have stayed at values and one moderate...although the moderate was nice, we do not feel that it is worth the extra money. We are staying at Pop this time:mickey:

lilolvr
10-28-2008, 09:29 AM
CSR!! I love CSR for the atmosphere, great CM's and the deluxe-lite feel. CSR offers a spa, salon, full menu room service and fitness center not to mention a terrific main pool area and the best transportation that is not shared with any other resort. It's like taking two vacations in one. Queen beds too!

Check out this thread too!
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=144380

BugeyedMuggy
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
We usually stay at a value. We tried CBR one time and didn't feel it was worth the extra $$.
We did however LOVE the AKL, but thats a different story completely.

LarryBoy
10-28-2008, 10:10 AM
We never stay off site due to the hassle and the lack of magic. We like values and moderates, but if I can afford it I will pick the moderate. The theming is just better and elaborate. Also I really like the pools better at the moderates, of course we have a seven year old and usually go in the summer. Slides are important to kids. However if it came down to it, I would definitely pick a value over staying off site.

buzz2001
10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
CSR!! Great main pool area, awesome transportation, and terrific food options. Check out my CSR website (by clicking on my name above) for pics and info. CSR now has queen beds in all the rooms and will have club level rooms as of 01/2009!!

http://i34.tinypic.com/11kfg3p.jpg

PETE FROM NYC
10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Stayed in CBR in 87,nice place.89,stayed at Port Orleans,not as happy as we were at CBR.
These trips were before the value hotels existed.
Later trips went to Hilton Gateway,which is now a Ramada.That was a nice place and one of the closest off site.
Then we started staying at All Star Music a few times,and last trip,March 07,we were booked in All Star Movies.
Now I know since CBR and POR are now considered moderates,they may have improved,but I think we will still use the value resorts.
For us,a room is merely a place to shower,sleep and keep your stuff.I do not want or need a spa,pool, room service or any other fancy amenities.I am at WDW to do the parks,which we open and close.
Its just me and my wife,no kids.So about the only reason that I could foresee us going up to a moderate is the fact that we are both handicapped,we both use scooters and may need the extra floor space of a moderate to fit both scooters.Otherwise its the values for us.

PetefromRI
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Check out some of the hotels in DTD,I think you'll get a better room for your dollar if your looking for something alittle more lux.

PetefromRI
10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I've also seen some great reports on the Bonnet Creek Resort.It's right on Disney property but you'll need a car since they don't use Disney transportation.

DawsonAR
10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
We have never stayed at a value but we love POR. It is really nice and enjoyable. We like TS food and the theming of the pools at moderates.

Hair_Razor
11-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I've also seen some great reports on the Bonnet Creek Resort.It's right on Disney property but you'll need a car since they don't use Disney transportation.

They do have transportation on site. To stay at Bonnet Creek you have to know or be an owner since it is a timeshare. It is exceptional though. Luxuries such as laundry and a full kitchen make it worth our while.

KatMark
11-29-2008, 10:28 PM
We stayed at a value once and absolutely hated it--too noisy, crowded and not relaxing at all. Our kids even hated it. Now, we are one of those that likes to spend afternoons at the resorts swimming, etc. We can't justify the cost of staying at a deluxe--especially with two boys in college, so we always stay at the Coronado. We've not tried the other moderates--although one of these days we will probably try POFQ. As for POR and Caribbean, we don't care for either one--we have visited both and walked the grounds, dined at the food courts, etc. We did not like the food court at the Caribbean at all (after two times eating there and both times were bad) and the theme doesn't do much for us (we'd rather go to Daytona Beach if we want beach theme--which we did for five days after our trip to Disney in September) and the POR just didn't do it for us.

To us the moderates offer a little peace and quiet and not so much hustle/bustle.

JPL
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I think the type of trip you have planned really makes a difference. I am going down in a few weeks for a short trip and know I will spend very little time in my resort so Pop Century it is this trip. In June I went down for a longer trip and wanted to relax a little more and stayed at AKL. Both resorts serve thier purpose for me based on my plans. In June I was able to enjoy the resort so I went with a Deluxe.

A Big Kid
11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I stayed at a value resort way back in "the day." We were there only one night because we got to WDW early. I hated it!

In 2004, I stayed at the POP. I hated it!

Go ahead and flame me, but it was not the amenities that got me down. The values seem to attract a crowd the doesnt get out often. Basically, people I would not rather be around for a variety of reasons. I'd rather pay the extra money and have a more relaxing time.

CleveRocks
11-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Are you the type of person who needs to rent a car? Or does the idea of relying on FREE Disney transportation appeal to you?

If you are going to rent a car regardless, then it's not such an obvious answer.

But if you like the idea of NOT having to rent a car, then a Disney resort is, in my opinion, the much more convenient option, between Disney's Magical Express and the Disney Transport buses.

As for deciding between a Value resort and a Moderate resort, here are some differences:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has full room service, and a gym.
Values are much more "kid-themed" and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

Nurse Kim
11-30-2008, 04:49 PM
That was a great comparison. It makes me feel better about our choice of POR instead of 2 rooms at a value. My kids are bigger so we are planning to take an air mattress in place of using the trundle bed.

jkjs
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
We've stayed @ all the value & mods mult times as well as some of the deluxes. We don't mind the values resorts @ all esp if we won't spend much time @ the resort. However POFQ is our fave even over some deluxes with POR AB section close behind(in fact we'll be there in 10days).

For us you get the biggest bang for your buck @ the mods. We feel there is less difference between some of the deluxes & the mods then between the mods & the value resorts.

The PO resorts are very nice. We prefer POFQ for many reasons, the decor, the size(it is smaller and more intimate) & it's the 1st stop for the buses going/coming. Both resorts have the boat to DtD which we really enjoy. We also love POR AB section. I didn't think I would but after staying it is one of our faves. We like bldg 14 it's very close to everything.

We too enjoyed PC and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. We don't mind the AS either and prefer the Music.

We do perfer to stay on property esp with DME now. If we only plan on Disney parks there is no need for a car, we can enjoy a tour or something else we wouldn't do if we had to get a car.

Have a wonderful time.