PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Space Mtn??

DisneyFr33k
10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if they've made changes to Space Mountain? We were there last year and just visited last week. It seems as if they've added more stars to the actual framing of the ride - more disorienting and 3D with them all around. :coaster:

JPL
10-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I know they are planning a major upgrade some time in the near future so it's possible they were playing around with some new lighting effects.

trackbarroness
10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Or just letting it be darker in there? :cool:
With the lights off it looks more like a planeteriom(sp) then with the low lighting that is usually in there. :D And no I can't tell you how I know this. :D

DisneyFr33k
10-27-2008, 08:49 PM
There were actual lights along the framing of the ride itself... something I don't think was there last year as I remember being able to see the track a little. My neck is bad so I was looking to anticipate turns and hills as I did last year and it was really, really hard this year! Hmm... I meant to ask before I left!

Imagineer1981
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
The lights on the track have always been there. Maybe you just noticed them more?

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
DH and I are making sure to get on it with this years trip. It's suppose to shut down by January. It's a very COOL ride, but does need a change over. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP:number1::number1::number1:

Zawadi
10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I recall hearing a rumour that WDW's SM might follow a similar theme to Disneyland Paris' "Space Mountain Mission: 2".

The Paris version was based on Jules Verne's "De la Terre à la Lune" (From Earth to the Moon) and it is the only version of SM that includes 2 inversions.

Remember that this is only an interesting rumour!

DisneyFr33k
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
The Paris version was based on Jules Verne's "De la Terre à la Lune" (From Earth to the Moon) and it is the only version of SM that includes 2 inversions.

Sweet! I hope this rumor is true!!! :thumbsup:

Monorail_Red
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
IMO Space Mountain should be left as-is as far as the track configuration in concerned...it's a classic. But some new lighting schemes, etc. would be neat. :mickey:

iadarolas
11-04-2008, 07:08 PM
We are going in May. This is my favorite ride in all of WDW. Does anyone know if it will be closed then?:confused:

Monorail_Red
11-04-2008, 07:10 PM
We are going in May. This is my favorite ride in all of WDW. Does anyone know if it will be closed then?:confused:
It's going down in January, not sure for how long....

Polynesian Dweller
11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I would prefer a loading zone like DLR where the cars ris up through a launch complex. You can get an idea of what it would look like when you go through SM on TTA. The view of the cars ascending is very reminiscent of the DLR launch zone but you don't see it clearly from the ride itself. The DLR the side by side seating is much better as well. Don't know if that kind of configuration would fit into the WDW building.

mcjaco
11-05-2008, 10:37 AM

Sweet! I hope this rumor is true!!! :thumbsup:

It's only supposed to be down for around six months. From what I've heard, it's mostly track improvements, and safety improvements.

Trust me, you don't want the DLR version. It's more flash than substance.

mickey001
11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
wait, so is the one in MK going to be closed in April? I'm confused.

Disneyfan1971
11-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I was just on WDW's official website and didn't see Space Mountain being closed at any time from now until May 2009...then again it could change.

jaredkari
11-06-2008, 08:38 AM
I too just went to WDW official site and it doesn't say anything about SM going down?? Although I am disappointed because Splash Mountain will be down while I am there!!!!

mickey001
11-06-2008, 05:57 PM
do you know if Splash will be down in April 2009 (2009 already???) you could just PM me so we don't spam. Much thanks if you could. Sorry about going off-topic.

mcjaco
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
^ Splash is going down in January for it's annual refurb.

I highly doubt Space would go down at the same time. Disney typically never refurbs two E-Tickets at the same time. I'm guessing that Space will go down sometime in February.

Disneyfan1971
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM
According to what I read on the disney site, Splash Mountain will be down from Jan 1-17th...so it will be up and running when we go. At least I hope so. If all the good rides are closed down, there's no need in going. I LOVE Splash Mountain and it's one of my favorites..I'll be sad if it's still closed when we go in mid January.