PDA

View Full Version : Have we waited too long?

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone :mickey:
Well its only 24 days til I leave Iraq from a 15 month deployment for the Army. The DW and I got married just before I had to leave and we didnt have an chance for a Honeymoon due to having to train up for said deployment.

Here is the thing. We have decided to treat our upcomming trip to the World this Christmas with our family as our Honeymoon :groom: :bride:. We are even planning on buying and wearing the bride and groom ears!! However I have a co-worker who is seariously lacking in MAGIC, He insists that we cant call it a Honeymoon or try to pass ourselves off as a new couple since its been well over a year. This got me to thinking... Have we really waited to long? IS it right to buy and wear the special ears when we didnt JUST get married? :confused: What would be the right ettiquette??
I dont want to take away from folks who truly did just get married if it would be a faux pas.

Your help is appreciated.

Jim

deedeenmickey
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
First of all, congratulations on your wedding and THANK YOU for your service to our country!!! Secondly of course it would be okay for you to celebrate this trip as your honeymoon!!!! This long deplyment is like pausing your personal life (I know my husband just got back from an 18 mo deployment). I hope you have a wonderful time and sport those ears with pride!!!!:mickey:

Eeyore's Pal
10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I definitely say go for it and THANK YOU!!

Cinderelley
10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I also want to thank you for the sacrifices you and your family have made for us. Lots of people delay their honeymoons for various reasons. Wear your ears with pride!

KathyMO
10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
First of all, congratulations on your wedding and THANK YOU for your service to our country!!! Secondly of course it would be okay for you to celebrate this trip as your honeymoon!!!! This long deplyment is like pausing your personal life (I know my husband just got back from an 18 mo deployment). I hope you have a wonderful time and sport those ears with pride!!!!:mickey:

:ditto:

Thank you for your service!

Kathy

snuggs30
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you for defending our country! But I say :angry:booo on your coworker, because this is YOUR honeymoon! Celebrate:party: I think it is wonderful! Wear those wedding ears you so deserve it! Have Fun!

kakn7294
10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Another thanks for your service to our country! I hope you enjoy that honeymoon at WDW - you both definitely deserve it! Wear your ears with pride!

BigRedDad
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Let me get this straight for my :twocents:

1. You serve our country
2. You were deployed for 15-months to Iraq
3. You wed right before you deployed
4. Because of said deployment, no time fore honeymoon
5. You are going a few weeks after your return from Iraq

I think if you add all of this up, you are entitled to do what ever you want. You have not "waited" too long. You are taking your honeymoon exactly when you are able. You should celebrate it how you choose. Get the ears, get the buttons, party it up, and have a great time. You deserve it and no one has the right to take it away from you.

disneymom15
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I couldn't agree more. Go for it and thank you for your service.

vicster
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
I say go for it! As a former army brat whose father served in Nam I say you're ready for a little R&R. I know how tough it is for military families and I profoundly thank you for your service. Have a great honeymoon!!!

DizNee143
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
there are people who buy those ears to wear on anniversaries...so dont feel like you shouldnt buy them..disney would not like that! lol...i say go for it..who cares what your unmagical coworker thinks..go for it and have a blast!!!!!!!!!! :mickey:

Tiggerlovr9000
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
First thank you for serving. You can celebrate your honeymoon whenever you want too. Sounds like your co-worker was jealous that they don't get to go..:thedolls:Also its very hard to plan your trip on the exact date of anniversaries, Birthdays and such. We had our 25th anniversary this year in June but went to WDW in May to celebrate early. We wore our anniversary buttons and didn't feel like we were doing anything wrong. Have a great time and again thank you for protecting us..:mickey::mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks again for all you and your family do! Words are not enough.
You absolutely should have a honeymoon! Go for the ears, too! We didn't actually have one either (30 years ago), and we're planning ours in a few weeks, ears and all! We're calling it our "Disneymoon". Have a wonderful time!
:bride::groom:

mouselover93
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
go for it never to late for a honeymoon and tell your coworker that its just a 2nd honeymoon. and good luck in iraq and thank you for your service

laward32
10-27-2008, 10:10 PM
As everybody else has said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you for your sacrifice for our country!!!" You only get one honeymoon and it doesn't matter when you take it. You have been away from you DW for 15 months and therefore you deserve it. Tell your coworker you and DW deserve it as if it was right after your wedding. Go enjoy yourself and hug your family tight.:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
10-27-2008, 11:13 PM
hmm...isn't it YOUR honeymoon?

I say you should enjoy it the way you want, WHEN you want. So it's been a few months since you got hitched...big deal! With the way marriages are going these days, why can't a couple in love celebrate it the way they want? I say go for it! Military or not, it's no one's place to tell you how or when you should celebrate...

have a blast!:beer:

jrkcr
10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
WEAR THE EARS!!!! :bride::groom:
And have a GREAT honeymoon!!

LittleRoosMommy
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Congratulations on your marriage!! And a great big THANK YOU for your service to our country!!!!! My best friend's husband is in the military and I understand the many sacrifices you and your family have to make. I definitely think you should go on your HONEYMOON!! Wear those ears with pride!!!!

dtootsie42
10-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Congratulations on your marriage. A super big thanks for your service to our country!!! I grew up as a military brat and I know how many sacrifices my parents made (and our family) for country. My folks rarely spent an anniversary together during their first 15 years of marriage (they just celebrated the big 50) so the point to all this my folks celebrated when they could. So, a black mark to your co-worker, celebrate when you can and do it up special. You deserve every moment you can grab.

You will be in my prayers as you deploy.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-28-2008, 09:04 AM
You should go for it...your honeymoon is when you decide to take it:mickey:

To the Coworker-Ba Humbug:(

pdrlkr
10-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Go for it! :thumbsup:

DisneyBabies
10-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything you (and your family) have sacrificed for all of our families.

I say get your ears and have a great honeymoon. DH and I didn't have a honeymoon after we got married, so we took one last year (actually our 3rd anniversary) and were treated as if we were married just days before. And really, you have not see your DW in 15 months, so you are honeymooners, despite what your co-worker said.

And I think one of the PP's was 100% correct: With the way marriages are going these days, why can't a couple in love celebrate it the way they want?

Ignore your co-worker and have a wonderful time!

baby minnie's mommy
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
:cloud9: Get the honeymoon ears, and have the attitude like you did just get married yesterday! Marriage has enough struggles without putting a damper on a happy celebration!!! :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
10-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Thank you, Wear the ears, too bad they don't come in Cammo~
IF you play your cards right the Honeymoon NEVER ENDS!
Oh, and tell your coworker to back away from the ears! :D

DisneyDog
10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I second what everyone else has already said so well. It is your honeymoon, celebrate it anyway you want. You have certainly earned it and deserve a wonderful vacation. Thank you for your incredible bravery and love of our country.

Besides, people say you have a year to send out thank you notes, why not a year to go on your honeymoon? It's never too late for romance.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-30-2008, 11:00 PM
It's not like you had a choice in postponing your honeymoon. When Uncle Sam calls, you gotta answer. Go on your honeymoon, proudly wear your ears and Pooh :pooh: to your coworker.
Thanks for taking the time from your personal life to defend us and our country.

Oh yeah, you might want to point out that little fact to your co-worker. It seems the he might not be aware of the personal sacrifice you and your family have made for all of us!

cer
10-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Some people just don't get it...wear your ears proudly and have a wonderful time....

showmethemouse
11-04-2008, 09:08 AM
:congrats:I couldn't agree more. Go for it and thank you for your service. Get the ears:bride::groom: and wear them. Have fun in Disney.

DisneyFr33k
11-04-2008, 06:48 PM
:thanks:From a proud military brat (dad Ret. Air Force Col.), thank you so very much for your sacrifice! You are one of the angels watching over our country. :angel:

If I understand your situation correctly, you got married the day before deployment and haven't been home since. Therefore to me, you really haven't begun the true celebrations of marriage! So upon your return, you will still technically be newlyweds!!

When you return, take your bride, :bride:grab those ears :mickey:and "just married" buttons and celebrate the beginning of many magical years to come. :magic:

And, to your co-worker: :down: and :shake:

Have fun and don't give it a second thought!!
:flag:

Little Round Bale
11-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Of course wear your ears. :mickey:
Disney is magical and very romantic. If any married couple can feel like newlyweds it is awesome. You need no excuses.

Thanks for all your dedication and what you are doing for us.

Congratulations.

TinkerbellT421
11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
First of all I want to thank you again for your services to this country. It is well appreciated. I know of the sacrifices you as being in the military have to make on a daily basis as well as in the long term when it comes to personal life. And I just want to thank you and try to show appreciation best I can for what you do for us as people and us as a country. Thank you thank thank you. My best friend being a Marine I saw and dealt with and heard of it all. And it is not an easy life you chose.

Secondly, You get those ears and treat this trip as your honeymoon becuase it IS and WILL be. No matter how "late" you take it. It was not your personally choice to "blow-off" your honeymoon. It was a sacrifice you and your wife made which gives you more than enough reason (not that you need one to begin with) and clause to buy and wear those ears with disney magic and pride! Congratulations! And the best of luck to you and your family. :mickey: :groom::bride::flag: