PDA

View Full Version : Did you visit a restaurant that was a suprise?

TheMartellFamily
10-26-2008, 05:30 PM
On our last visit we had ressies at Captains Grille and for us it was a big suprize. It was really good. There is not alot about this restaurant so we did not know what to think. We went in unaware of anything about this meal. We came out fans of the restaurant and would recommend this to anyone. The one issue that we had was the boys saw :eyes::jaw:the pool ,and now they want to stay here. This is a big change since we have only stayed at Ft. Wilderness in a camper and POP Century. Talk about a change in budget!!!!! The meal was fantastic!

maryt01
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
where is the captains grille. can you tell me where the el sapatain theatre is located? thanks

TheMartellFamily
10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
The Yacht Club is where it is located.

SBETigg
10-26-2008, 06:34 PM
We've had good surprises and bad. The good? Raglan Road at Downtown Disney was one of the more unexpectedly pleasant surprises, one of the best meals of our last trip and what a fun time.

The bad? We were all set to enjoy a wonderful meal at Kona Cafe (so many people rave about Kona here at INTERCOT) but it was one of our worst meals ever. The food was just not good- no taste to it all. And our service was awful. It must have been an off night. Maybe they ran out of seasonings. Who knows. But I won't be headed back any time soon.

GrmGrninGost
10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
We went a long time without trying Coral Reef because of all the negative things we heard about it. We finally tried it in 2005 and loved it! It is probably my favorite place to eat on property! We have never had a bad experience there! :mickey:

KatMark
10-26-2008, 09:51 PM
We too have good and bad surprises. We went to Yak & Yeti last month and I was surprised how much I liked it. I don't normally like this type of food, but I had the sweet/sour pork and it was outstanding. Everyone in our party liked their selection (steak and shrimp and the duck).

Our bad surprise last month was Whispering Canyon Cafe. I thought the food was way overrated and didn't care for it at all. DH got sick on the ribs and chicken in the skillet (the only two items I didn't touch because I didn't like any of the other items and just did not want to eat any more of what I thought was a horrible meal).

Seasonscraps
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I was pleasantly surprised the first time we went to Portobello Yacht Club at DTD. We ended up there because we made a very last minute reservation and it turned out to be one of the best meals of our trip that year.

pluto 77
10-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Yak & Yeti was a great suprise! We made our ressie because it was new and we thought we'd try it out. It was so good that we went back later in the trip.:number1:

Another great suprise on our last trip was Donald's Safari Breakfast! We will def. go back!

pox24
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
The Turf Club at Saratoga Springs. We had dinner there last week and really enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

hlkeck
10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Garden Grill was a pleasant surprise for us. We really enjoyed it. The service was beyond spectacular and the food was very enjoyable.

Liberty Tree Tavern was disappointing. And O'Hana's was not so great. The food was fine, but our service was so bad that any waiter at any restaurant afterwards that thought to fill my water made me feel like royalty. And the food was only fine - and not brought around very often - we had to ask, which just seemed odd. And people around us had some sort of butter with their bread? We didn't have that - so I don't know what it was. It just was not fun.

mrmcgiv
10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
I think it was called the yacht club Galley. We could not find a ressie, it was our last night and we left epcot and went there. It was not the signature dining there it was one TS on the meal plan. It was nice, quiet, good service and the food was great!! It did not get good reviews in the tour book I had but I found it to be one of the best dinners we had! I have a feeling we are talking about the same place and it used to be called the yacht club galley and it was renamed Captain's Grille. And yes, we saw the pool and my husband wanst to stay there...i am sure the kids would like it too!!!

One place we found very disappointing was captain jack's In DTD. Food was so-so and service was so-so at best. I would never go back!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
I had two people tell me recently about surprise gems...one was Teppon Edo and the other Marrakesh....they both ate at these restaurants because everything else was full and thought they were the best meals of their trip.

LandFan
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
For us it was Coral Reef. We'd heard many mixed reviews but I decided to try it last year because I wanted to have the divers surprise DH with a happy anniversary sign and customized menus. It was really very good! We split the cajun catfish/cheese grits. DH LOVED it. I am now making him cajun catfish about once a month:( oops - I created a monster!

We are going back for lunch again this Thanksgiving:thumbsup:

Gator
10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I was suprised by the Pepper Market at Corondo Springs. I had heard some bad things about it before my last trip. Our plane was late getting in on our first day, so I wasn't able to go to a park and eat. So we decided to get food quickly from Pepper Market. It was VERY good...and quick. What a selection, and all for a counter service credit. :D

I'm also suprised that San Angel Inn AND Cantina can never seem to get their food to taste good:ack:

minniemoomoo
10-30-2008, 08:59 PM
San Angel Inn, it has always been our favorite family restaurant. We go there every time we are at Disney. Sometimes twice during our vacation. Two weeks ago, we had ressies. Boy were we disappointed. The menu had changed extensively. We all tried something different. We all hated it. Our food was left unfinished, and we won't be going back until the menu is changed again. There were 6 adults, and we have very healthy appetites. Talk about a surprise. This was a major surprise to all of us. :confused:

TBY2225
10-31-2008, 01:35 PM
I really enjoyed the Cookes of Dublin in DTD. It was one of the best CS we had all week. I also really enjoyed Yak & Yeti. I was worried because it tends to get bad reviews, but it was one of our favorites!

I was very disappointed with Chef Mickeys and Crystal Palace. Yes, the food was so-so as I expected, but the Characters were so slow at Chef Mickeys, we only saw 2 in 1 1/2 hours! At Crystal Palace, they came so close together we couldn't get up and get food for 30 minutes!