PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you #4

Figment78
10-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Switching it up a bit again, here's a "non-Disney" vacation question.... :cool:

BTW, a related funny anecdote - everytime my mother goes anywhere other than WDW, she comes back saying "I swear I'm never going anywhere except WDW for vacation ever again!"

SBETigg
10-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Typically, we go the beach or we explore cities when we're not headed to WDW.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-25-2008, 03:01 PM
We tend to explore cities/historical sites when not at Disney. (Montreal, Williamsburg, etc).

paragon
10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I answered this one for myself, I prefer the beach as a second choice. DW however hates the beach and her choice is always WDW first, and last.
I guess if it were both of us, we'd have to vote WDW only.

amd780
10-25-2008, 04:17 PM
This was a tricky one for us. I picked active/natural parks, since we take a yearly weeklong vacation in the NC mountains. However, we also go to Myrtle Beach a few times a year because my best friend from Connecticut has a condo there. :)

laward32
10-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I put only WDW, because since our first trip in 05 we've only been to Disney, other than trips to see relatives. I really don't want to go anywhere other than Disney and neither do my girls. My husband & I's 10th anniversary is in May and I really want to go to Disney, but he doesn't. We are looking at doing a cruise or a Sandals vacation. We'll see!!!:mickey:

KT1234
10-25-2008, 07:50 PM
we try to alternate regular vacations with our Disney vacations....although sometimes, Disney seems to just sneak it! We went to Hawaii this past summer (which was incredible...I never imagined it could be as wonderful and enjoyable as it was). We stopped in Cali on the way back to break up the long flights and ended up at Disneyland! I had never been so it was such a wonderful trip overall!

Maleficent's Dad
10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Tough one, but good question. This past summer we spent a month on the Left Coast at the beach (Malibu!), combining that with day trips to DL. Then we spent August up and down the East Coast - Boston to DC, to MD Shore, to Williamsburg. Of course we ended the summer at WDW...

So if I had to choose, I chose 'beach,' becuase we do spend quite a bit of time on the sand...

jrkcr
10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
I love to camp in our 8 person tent, and we usually stay at SC state parks at the beach. And we also camp while on river rafting trips in Tenn and NC. But I don't exactly rough it. I believe in air mattresses, and electric coffee pots that have a timer, and down comforters. :blush: I have three big rubbermaid boxes for my camping gear!

When we are living in the south, we rent a house for a week on a little island in NC, and that is actually my favorite vacation spot of all! :cloud9:

Faver
10-25-2008, 09:27 PM
:number1::mickey:WDW is always my first choice, but not my DH's.....at least I can get him to WDW every other year... but we both always agree on cities!!

Mad About Mickey
10-26-2008, 09:34 AM
We do a non Disney vacation every summer and it is usually a blend of National Parks and other amuesment parks. This past summer we visited the Smokey Mountains and Shenadoah NPs as well as hitting Hershey Park and Sesame Place.

pdrlkr
10-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Usually the Beach. :swim:

ibrowse17
10-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I grew up in Destin, Fl, so going to beach is like going home for me. My family always took summer vacations to the mountains of Colorado. We would camp, rent Jeep's to see the ghost towns and spend time exploring the old train routes. Places like Durango, Silverton, Quray, Telluride and Pitkin are all favorites of mine. We love to camp as a family, which is how my love of Disney and Ft Wilderness started:thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
We go to WDW a LOT! So much so, our family questions our mental state. But, in the last 10 years, we've only taken 3 vacations where we didn't go to WDW. Two of those vacations we went the North Georgia mountains and rented a cabin, and in fact, we're doing it again around Christmas this year. A couple of years ago we got to go to a get-away conference/vacation at Renaissance Ross Bridge which is nestled in the hills just south of Birmingham, AL. It's a beautiful resort and we had a very relaxing time.

pixiesmimi
10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
The beach. My brother used to live in P.C. and we went down a lot but I never liked going to the beach. There was a long lull when we never went down there even though we only live 2 hours away. But when he moved to Destin, we started going again and that changed my whole way of looking at the beach. I love it down there because it is much nicer in Destin. But he has since moved back to P.C. but lives on the west beach so it is almost as nice as Destin. (Almost). :) I enjoy going down now just to enjoy the peace and quiet and getting away from the hustle and bustle. We go once or twice a year now and try to go to WDW at least once a year. Sometimes, like this year, we have to skip a year but will make up for it next year.:cloud9:

yjgirl32
10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
We go camping. I used to camp with my granparents and uncles and it was so much fun. I love taking my son and we are able to go on like 3 or 4 mini vacations since camping is much cheaper then staying at a hotel. Great poll.

Boojum
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
..but we also enjoy going to historical sites. I haven't been to Gettysburg yet, and I'd love to go.

AllDisney
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
As you can see we've been to Disney a few times. We always notify the neighbors that we are leaving for vacation, so that they can keep an eye out for mail & newspapers etc., and they always say, "Going to Disney World, AGAIN?"

We do go other places, BUT Disney is a vacation destination that happens every few years, like clockwork:party:

PittFan
10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
We are definitely theme park people. Before we decided that we wanted to go to WDW every year if we could, we went to Cedar Point, Six Flags, Geauga Lake or Paramount Kings Island every summer. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
We ALWAYS go on VACATION to the world :cloud9: The other places I chose are usualy just "one-dayers" because we live ten minutes away from the beach and have a beautiful city thats ten minutes away sooooo those arent really "vacations"

dolphinmickey9170
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
We have only gone on Disney vacations to WDW!! However, we will be taking our first cruise next halloween~~right Karen?:mickey:

mainemajor
10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Finally got to NYC with DW this year. I had been there years ago, but DW had never been there. It was great. Been to Boston several times and washington DC is a great spot to visit. So much history and almost everything is free.

RedSoxFan
10-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I picked city because we usually go see the Red Sox every year. We went to Boston over the summer to see the Sox. Next summer we're going back to Baltimore --- so much easier (and cheaper) to get tickets.

c&d
10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Since we tend to go to WDW for school vacation we tend to go somewhere else for summer vacation. We tend to go to National Parks or head to the beach.

cknorr28
10-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't know there were other places to vacation. :mickey:

cer
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
When not going to Disney, we go for long weekends either camping or to the beach.

We have a great pop-up and just love it!