PDA

View Full Version : Good italian restaurant in Chicago?

Cinderelley
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
So, my DS18's last letter home begged me to take him out to an Italian restaurant when he graduates from boot camp. Guess he doesn't like the food ;)

Any suggestions? We'll be staying near O'hare Airport. He's at the naval recruit training center. Anywhere around those two would be nice.

SBETigg
10-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Spiaggia is incredible. I think it's pretty expensive, but what a treat. If you're looking for something special, that would do it. I haven't been in about five years, but it's still there and getting great reviews from what I've read. It's at One Magnificent Mile (on the corner of Michigan and Oak) 980 North Michigan Avenue, which is probably a good half hour ride from the airport area, I think, but may be worth the ride.

IceRef
10-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Cinderelley:

Just a few additions to SBETigg's great suggestion. We have dined at both Carlucci's in and Harry Caray's "Italian" Steakhouse and found the meals to be very good. I thought there was a surprisingly good selection of Italian dishes at Harry Caray's, just not what we expected to see from a steakhouse. Both are in the suburb of Rosemont, and very close to the O'Hare hotel complexes.

In Glenview and right near the base, we stumbled on a place called Bravo Culina which was very good. This is a bit of a dated recommendation, but it was good at that time. Your son might be able to check it out with one of the base locals who may recognize if it is still in business and update our opinion.

Congratulations on his accomplishments. I hope he has a safe and yet challenging enlistment or career.

Aurora
10-24-2008, 11:11 PM
There are tons of good Italian restaurants downtown, but if you're looking for something near O'Hare, there's Harry Carey's Restaurant on Higgins, about 10 minutes from the airport.

Don't let the name fool you. It's a great place -- fun atmosphere and top-notch food. You wouldn't be disappointed.

If you're going into the city, my recommendation is Italian Village on Monroe. There are actually three restaurants in Italian Village -- my favorite is the Village on the upper floor, very atmospheric, reasonably priced (especially for a downtown restaurant), and again, good food.

You can Google each of these for some pictures and menus.

brewcrew26
10-25-2008, 10:57 AM
If you're just looking pizza, I LOVE Lou Malnati's. We drove down from Milwaukee two weekends ago just for dinner. It was fabulous!!!! :cloud9:

alphamommy
10-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm not an expert because I haven't spent a lot of time in Chicago, but I'll vote for Harry Caray's. It wasn't at all what I expected, and the food was really good. DH wants to go back to Chicago just to go back there!

Cinderelley
10-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I'll check them out on MapQuest, and let DS decide. I'm guess we'll probably be trying a couple of them. He really wanted good food.