PDA

View Full Version : To Park Hop, or not to Park Hop?

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Just wondering how many of you find yourselves park-hopping. We always buy the Park Hopper tickets, but rarely use them. We just got back from an 8-day trip, and only park hopped on 2 days.

What do you find yourself doing?

medic9016
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
We use ours often. We may get to a park and do 3 rides and head to another park. We hop between DHS and Epcot alot for dining. We rarely stay more than a few hour at Animal Kindom before going to another park.

Bluesky481
10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I find we hop about once each day. It's nice to know we're not limited to just one park for whatever reason. :mickey:

SBETigg
10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
We love to park hop. We keep it to two parks, one morning/afternoon, slight break, and one afternoon/evening. On occasion, we'll have a day to spend half at the resort and at one park, no hopping, but hopping is our norm.

AliMel83
10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
We love to park hop! My boyfriend and I love to spend night times at MK or EPCOT! :thumbsup:

threeh
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
We love to park hop as well. I usually plan a park in the morning then another in the evening. I also like the flexability to switch parks if one is too crowded, or the whim strikes.
happy planning

lawgirl
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I can't imagine not having park hopper passes. We try to go every year, and we always go to at least 2 parks a day.

Last year, on our last day, we hit all 4 parks in one day...it was very cool. We like to end up in Epcot almost every day, for a relaxing walk / dinner around the world, and then illuminations. I remember, we went to MK 1st thing in the morning, then went to HS, then hopped over to AK to ride Everest and Dinosaur, then ended up in Epcot for quick bite to eat at Mexico, Morocco, Germany, and France for dessert. It was awesome!

Marker
10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
We hop all the time.

We'll come from all different directions sometimes to meet up for a meal.

On our last trip, on the last day, I was actually in all 4 parks. Hit one or two favorite stops, then on to the next park.

I can't imagine not having the hopping option. My mind now considers all of WDW as one location, and moving from one park to another is like going from Adventure Land to Tomorrow Land, but with a bus, monorail, or boat ride. I think I would feel very restricted without a hopper, especially when it comes to ADRs.

Tinkerbella16
10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
We love having the park hopping option on our tickets and use it every trip. We are early morning people...so we wake up early have a nice breakfast to start the day, head to which ever park we want for the morning, then come back to the resort by 1pm to rest, swim or nap, and then get ready for the evening at another park until it closes. When we go the parks aren't open very late so we take full advantage of EMH, and we always go to DTD in the evenings since the parks close at 7pm or 8pm.

I loveeee park hoppingggg!!!! :mickey:

KylesMom
10-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I can't imagine not having the hopping option. :ditto:

disneymom15
10-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I selected occasionally. We don't hop every day, probably half (6 days in the parks, we probably hop on 3 days) it's nice to know we have the option.

JabberJaws
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I am an adament park hopper. It takes a little bit of effort and can be a bit tiring, but to me its more fun. The key is to plan it out in advance. If you are checking out DHS or DAK on a Saturday, don't all of a sudden on a whim say, "hey lets hop over to MK." You will regret it simply b/c MK on a Saturday is a bad idea. But if you put some thought into it and plan ahead, it can be a lot of fun.

What I like to do is do the a.m. hours in one park where I only want to do a few select things, like DHS. Then leave that park around lunchtime, and head somewhere out of the parks that is nearby to have lunch (like if you are going to the MK, then Kona Cafe is a good spot). Then you head to the park that you want to spend the rest of your day at.

I find that the break for traveling to the other park and for lunch helps calm things down a bit, especially during busier times.

I wouldn't suggest doing more than 2 parks in one day though, unless its a slow time. During September, the year after Sept. 11, 2001 (so it was REALLY slow), my friend and I did all 4 parks in one day. It was quite the adventure.

kathiep
10-23-2008, 12:13 PM
We're hoppers.

We usually spend the majority of the day in one park followed by a swim/rest back at our hotel around 3pm.

Then, in the evenings it's off to dinner and another park - usually Epcot.

PittFan
10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
We use ours often. . We rarely stay more than a few hour at Animal Kindom before going to another park.

:ditto:

We leave MK to eat at a resort or EPCOT quite often. We usually do AK morning and another park by late afternoon.

ThanxForNoticin
10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
The ability to park-hop is a must for us. There are just too many things to do and enjoy to not have it as an option - one that we will use most days.

Greenlawler
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
We spend 7 days in the parks twice a year. We hop just about everyday. If you have the meal plan its a must. Last Sept we did not on hop 2 days which was rare.

PittFan
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I can't imagine not having park hopper passes. We try to go every year, and we always go to at least 2 parks a day.

Last year, on our last day, we hit all 4 parks in one day...it was very cool. We like to end up in Epcot almost every day, for a relaxing walk / dinner around the world, and then illuminations. I remember, we went to MK 1st thing in the morning, then went to HS, then hopped over to AK to ride Everest and Dinosaur, then ended up in Epcot for quick bite to eat at Mexico, Morocco, Germany, and France for dessert. It was awesome!

We did the same thing. My DD and I started at AK, rode Kilamanjaro & KRR, caught a bus to DHS for TT & RRC, caught the Friendship Boat to EPCOT & finished in MK that evening. It was a blast !!!

RockinRollerMom
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Another fan of park hopping here. Like PP's said, if you are on the dining plan it is a must.

Tink-N-Me
10-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Rarely hopped in the past, so we stopped getting the option. With as many times as we have gone we still seem to be in commando stage. Guess it has to do with the fact that we still have young kids who want to do as much as possible. They don't want to lose anytime moving from park to park. Looking forward to the time we get to go to Disney our terms and not our kids!:thumbsup:....figuring in another 12 years.

Faver
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I just love having the option, and really utilize the hopping, on EMH evenings. We like to take a mid day break, then head out to dinner then onto the EMH park for the evening. The freedom is great!:party:

pdrlkr
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
We are always park hoppers!

joonyer
10-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Hoppity hop hop and then some! We always park hop, sometimes several times a day. But we only started doing this after we had visited WDW several times and gotten to know the parks and exactly what we wanted to do, and when. We didn't hop so much on our first couple of visits.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
My wife and I have purchased park hoppers for both of our trips. On our first 7-day trip, we never hopped. On our 5-day trip, I think we hopped once from AK to MK, but I'm not even sure we did that.

We were always so scared of being forced to stay at one park, that we bought the hoppers. Since I have become an Intercot junkie, I have realized that we can NOT buy the hoppers, save $50 each, and if the mood hits us to hop, we can easily upgrade the tickets then.

As long as the trip is more than 4 days, that will be our plan.

PS: We made the same mistake on our first trip with the No Expiration option. I had three family members very ill, and purchased the No Expiration option because I was afraid of having to leave early for a death in the family. I now realized that I can NOT buy the No Expiration option, then if I have to leave early, I can upgrade the ticket at the front desk before I leave (if the number crunching says the cost would be worth it.)

bkfree
10-23-2008, 06:02 PM
We also park hop, if for no other reason than for eating access.
We tend to eat lots of meals at World Showcase and could not do that without the Hoppers.
We tend to eat almost no meals, if we can help it at MK. Other than Crystal Palace.

We like to have the option of skipping out on one and heading to another. We also like to Do EMH then head to another park , either after or before.

Not having Hoppers would take some of the spontaniety out of the trip, not to mention many great dining chances.

mainemajor
10-23-2008, 07:39 PM
For us we hop most days. It really depends on how we feel, the weather, diner reservations or special events going on at the parks. The only trips that I have not hopped were before there was an option. We will often head back to our hotel, DTD or another resort relax, explore and then hit the parks again. We don't want to be tied to just one park - one day.

Tbelle1976
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Just having the option to park hop is worth it for me, but yes, we always use the option. If we get to one park in the morning and it gets too busy, we will hop to another after having a break.

Tink#64
10-23-2008, 11:15 PM
We did not purchase the hopper option this year & we really missed it! :( We planned a very last minute trip for spring break & trying to cut every corner we could I figured we could pass on the hopping & wouldn't really miss it! Well we missed it! We had a great vacation, but found ourselves wishing we had that flexibility! We typically visit one park in the AM & take our break back at the resort & spend our evening in a different park. I will definitely spend the extra to have that freedom for our next trip! :thumbsup:

Mad About Mickey
10-24-2008, 08:38 AM
We always get the park hopper option. We usually spend whole days at MK and Epcot and then will hop after AK & DHS days. Our older kids also have the option of going off to do something at another park while we are doing rides with the younger ones. We would never go back to life without hopping :mickey:.

RBrooksC
10-24-2008, 08:56 AM
My family loves to park hop. We usually don't park hop the day we go to MK since I love to take my time there. But Epoct, I will do Future World and maybe MGM or AK the same day. Then World Showcase and MGM or AK another day. Then MGM for 1/2 a day and maybe another park another 1/2 day depending on our time there and what we have planned.

Sometimes we park hop because of dinner reservations. Last time it was fun planning the trip trying to figure out the best way to visit the parks with our convoluted dining options.

GrmGrninGost
10-24-2008, 10:59 AM
We don't park hop just for the sake of park hopping. We use it to extend our hours in the parks. We usually go somewhere else after AK closes for instance. We may go to Epcot one day, then go that evening to MK for EMH. We also use it for dining. We like a lot of the restaurants at Epcot, but we don't want to spend every day there. So, we go to another park, then go to Epcot for dinner.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
We park hop every day, winding up at MK just about every night. Walking down Main Street with the lights on, and watching the fireworks..it just doesn't get any better. :mickey:

lightyearfan
10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
well when me and dw go on our long summer trips we park hop allot, on our long weekend trips we just stay at the park that we tend to visit for that day.

Victor

CU Tiger
10-24-2008, 12:16 PM
I feel we waste too much time traveling from one park to another. Unless we are doing AK in half of a day and continuing to MGM, we like to take our time and do one park at a time.:mickey:

sdewan
10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
We don't park hop just for the sake of park hopping. ... We also use it for dining. We like a lot of the restaurants at Epcot, but we don't want to spend every day there. So, we go to another park, then go to Epcot for dinner.

Ditto. There are days when we go to EPCOT all morning, come back for dinner and stay until closing. But most days it just fits into our plans better to visit two different parks.

Two additional reasons we park hop are:

1) frequently we stay at an EPCOT resort, and sometimes we'll take the monorail from MK to EPCOT, and then walk back to our resort through EPCOT.

2) Early Admission days are great - for the first two hours or so. Then it can get super-crowded at that park, which makes it a good time to head to a different park.

elmjimmlm
10-24-2008, 03:09 PM
We usually hop 2x a day...

princessgirls
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I love the hopping option, and get it when booking a package. I didn't do the hopping in 2007 when we stayed in the "time share" at Bonnet Creek. It was going to be an extra $180 for my family and we were only getting a 5 day ticket, with the one day just using it for a few hours at night. We figured one park a day for this trip.
The Time-Share was my most expensive trip to Disney ever! We were invited to stay with friends and we discovered that the "free accomodations" cost us a fortune!
Beware of the timeshare I always say...
Julie:mickey:

chrisb26
10-24-2008, 04:08 PM
We rarely stay at only one park for the entire day. We've been so many times that we know where everything is and what we want to do. So we don't really need to stay at only one park the entire day.

Some parks its also difficult for us to stay at the same place the entire day. For example DHS it really isn't a full day park for us especially now with them closing certain attractions early and not having Fantasmic every night it would be difficult to stay there all day.

Park hopper is also a very good thing if you do decide to stay for a longer trip that way you can go back and do different things that you missed out on or wanted to do again.

wedway76
10-24-2008, 04:53 PM
We park hop all the time!

Early in our trip we are more likely to spend the entire day at one park, however later in the trip we may head back to one park to ride something or see a show we missed.

As others have said we often hop for dinner and then we usually spend the evening in the park where we ate.

Then of course there is the day that we go to Animal Kingdom! :elephant: What are we supposed to do with the rest of the day if we didn’t have Park Hoppers? :shrug:

kemps@wdw
10-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Park-hopping :muscles::joy::yay: is a given for us! We have always been a 2-park-a-day family. This gives us a opportunity to do EVERYTHING we want to do, but not necessarily in one day. And we can have down time @ our resort between parks for pool action or naps (if needed). :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I just love having the option, and really utilize the hopping, on EMH evenings. We like to take a mid day break, then head out to dinner then onto the EMH park for the evening. The freedom is great!:party:

We like having the option, too. To me the freedom really makes it feel like a vacation. It makes it possible to make ADR's, and yet still have the days open to impulse. :wave:

laward32
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
We always park hop. Usually because of dining or emh. I try to coordinate with the emh, but with the dining you never know when you can get adr's for certain places, so I always keep my plan open. Also, AK and DHS to us are only 1/2 day parks, so we want to be able to go to another park for the other 1/2.:mickey:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-26-2008, 07:12 PM
DH and I park hopper all the time!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Next trip: 11/24th thru 12/5 @ the POP:cloud9:

4ubie1
10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
We park hop all the time. We love to try out different restaurants at dinner time especially in the World Showcase. Plus, there are certain parks we enjoy more than others so we tend to leave certain parks midday and hop over to another that we like more. But if you are only doing it twice in 8 days, I say don't do it next time. It isn't worth it for you.

Diznee4Me
10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
We hit at least two parks everyday. Definetely park hoppers for us.:thumbsup:

indytraveler
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
we are a hopping bunch too. However, we don't hop from MK. Good break around lunchtime to get after it at another. Planning is a good idea to know before hand which parks to hit.

IloveDisney71
10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I love being able to hop from park to park especially when I've got ADR's at different restaurants in different parks. That way I don't feel like I'm stuck in one park all day and I can try different restaurants.

Princess'Mom
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
My wife and I have purchased park hoppers for both of our trips. On our first 7-day trip, we never hopped. On our 5-day trip, I think we hopped once from AK to MK, but I'm not even sure we did that.

We were always so scared of being forced to stay at one park, that we bought the hoppers. Since I have become an Intercot junkie, I have realized that we can NOT buy the hoppers, save $50 each, and if the mood hits us to hop, we can easily upgrade the tickets then.

As long as the trip is more than 4 days, that will be our plan.

PS: We made the same mistake on our first trip with the No Expiration option. I had three family members very ill, and purchased the No Expiration option because I was afraid of having to leave early for a death in the family. I now realized that I can NOT buy the No Expiration option, then if I have to leave early, I can upgrade the ticket at the front desk before I leave (if the number crunching says the cost would be worth it.)

Good to know! I have always purchased Hoppers on the chance that we wanted to hop. I didn't think of doing it, just prior to the hop!
Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

rmsongs
10-28-2008, 03:29 PM
We hop mostly every day based on where and when our TS meals are and which CS restaurants we feel like. The only time I can recall NOT hopping is when there was only one park! :D