PDA

View Full Version : OMG! - Hillary Duff is all grown up!

GrumpyFan
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I was checking out new video releases for this week and saw a new movie titled, War, Inc. with John Cusack and Hillary Duff, not to mention others. I guess it was a flop at theatres, because I don't remember seeing anything about it. It's a political satire movie about war and big business.

Anyway, since it had Hillary Duff in it, I thought I would just check the trailer and see what she was up to now that she's grown up. WOW, what a shocker! And, I'm not sure it's in a good way either. She plays a real tramp (that's putting it in the best clean Intercot terms) in this movie with extremely fowl language and very suggestive body language. It's a big departure from her days of being a Disney tween star, but, not one that many former fans of hers will enjoy. So, if you're a Hillary Duff fan of her younger years, stay away from this movie because it will completely destroy that clean, Disney pop star image she used to have. I understand why she would want to distance herself from being "Lizzie McGuire", but this just looks like trash and I would think serve only to hurt her image, especially with all of those who used to be fans of hers.

Warning, the movie is rated R and DEFINITELY NOT "Intercot" friendly.

MomOfAPrincess502
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
How sad. My daughters loved her as Lizzie McGuire so much that we actually went to the Hillary Duff concert a few years back.

NotaGeek
10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Hillary Duff is 21 years old, and as an adult actress FAR from her days as a Disney Channel star, I really don't think it's appropriate to bash her for making movies. She is an actress, and has bills to pay. Since this movie is not INTERCOT friendly and rated R I doubt anyone would accidentally rent the DVD so their kids can see the new Lizzie MacGuire movie...

I love Hilary Duff, and of all those Disney stars, IMO she is one of the few that can really act ...

GrumpyFan
10-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry you perceived my comments as bashing her, I really wasn't, I was merely commenting on what a drastic departure from some of the characters she's played in the past. I respect the fact that she's an adult and has every right to do whatever she wants with her life. However, it is my opinion, that roles like what she played in this movie do very little to help her in becoming an established, grown up actress. As a former Disney star, she developed quite a following of young girls who admired her, my daughter was one of them. But, with her making decisions to take on a role like this, we're no longer a fan as I'm sure others would probably agree.

From the clips I saw of the movie, and others she's done, I'm still not convinced she's an "actress", but oddly enough, I do enjoy her music.

MomOfAPrincess502
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
On a brighter note, Hillary Duff was in town today at a local elementary school promoting the Blessings in a Backpack program. She gave backpacks filled with food to needy children who might otherwise go without!

NotaGeek
10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Good for her! Evidently there is indeed a separation between the roles actors play and their everyday lives! :thumbsup:

DizNee143
10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Hillary Duff is one of the few disney stars that i actually like..i could careless what kinda of movies she plays in..or what she does in her personal life...
i cant stand the people who stop being a fan cuz of what a star does in there personal life..or if they made a movie a few fans didnt like...they cant please everyone..and with time they are gonna grow up and do more "out there projects" but the thing is so will there fans..they'll grow up with her..and im sure if they are a "real" fan they will follow her..no matter what she does..

its kinda like britney spears..i love her music..i could careless whats going on in her personal life..granted i do feel bad about everything going on for her..but i still love her music and cant wait for her new cd to come out!

Ian
10-23-2008, 10:07 AM
i cant stand the people who stop being a fan cuz of what a star does in there personal life..So you don't think it's appropriate to disconnect from an actor or actress who does something reprehensible in real life?

For example, would you criticize a Jewish man who decided to boycott Mel Gibson films? Or an African-American man for not wanting to go see a Michael Richards stand up routine? Or a father of a young girl who decided that Brittney is, in fact, a horrid role model for his daughter and banned her from his home?

Honestly, I find it absolutely appalling the things that Hollywood types, musicians, and professional athletes can get away with and how many people just don't seem to care anymore.

I prefer a society in which character actually means something.

DizNee143
10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
So you don't think it's appropriate to disconnect from an actor or actress who does something reprehensible in real life?

Honestly, I find it absolutely appalling the things that Hollywood types, musicians, and professional athletes can get away with and how many people just don't seem to care anymore.

I prefer a society in which character actually means something.
to me there personal life has nothing to do with there music or acting....
britney spears - went a little crazy had a hard time for awhile..i feel bad for her..but it doesnt change how i feel about her music..still like it!
hmm..here we go..
michael jackson - ya..real crazy..might of done some "things" with kids...it still doesnt change my mind on his music..still love all his hits..

For example, would you criticize a Jewish man who decided to boycott Mel Gibson films? Or an African-American man for not wanting to go see a Michael Richards stand up routine? Or a father of a young girl who decided that Brittney is, in fact, a horrid role model for his daughter and banned her from his home?

and i could careless what other people do...if they wanna stop listening or seeing certain movies cuz they dont like something that actor/singer did in there personal life..thats up to them..i was talking about me..

pink
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Whenever I see pictures of her in the tabloids and such she never looks trampy. I think she is just trying to take roles that will seperate her from her Disney image. :mickey:

Ian
10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
and i could careless what other people do...if they wanna stop listening or seeing certain movies cuz they dont like something that actor/singer did in there personal life..thats up to them..i was talking about me..Actually your exact quote was:

i cant stand the people who stop being a fan cuz of what a star does in there personal life..

How does "not being able to stand them" turn into being about you? :confused:

Stich8818
10-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Well even if she is in this movie, at least she is doing something contructive as the previous poster said with her giving out the backpacks away.

If you want to look at another bad role model and an being an ex-disney star...two words...

Lindsey Lohan..

NotaGeek
10-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Moderator Alert

:offtopic:

This thread is not to discuss the short comings of Disney Stars. This thread is to discuss Hillary Duff's and her participation in a specific movie and how that change her fan base. Let's not start turn this into a Star bashing thread.

DizNee143
10-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Actually your exact quote was:

How does "not being able to stand them" turn into being about you? :confused:

you have me rather confused now..
its about me cuz it was my opinon..

i dont get (or cant stand) the people who judge there music and movies they watch/listen to on what the actor/singer does in there personal life...
there personal life has nothing to do with what movies or kid of music they sing or whatever..

i was just giving my opinion on this matter...
kinda sorry i did now!

but anyways..im sooooo moving on now!!!!!!!!

LauraleeH
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Hilary Duff is pretty much the only "teen star" that I still love! I didn't see the movie, but she did talk about it on myspace. She said her character was "not very nice" and not like her at all. To me, I love the fact that she is a decent girl in real life. Now, if all of her movies turn out go that route, I won't support her. I'm not even going to watch War, Inc.

However, look at Johnny Depp. He donates millions to charity and seems like a decent guy, for the most part. But if you had never heard of him before and then went and saw Sweeney Todd, you probably wouldn't be a fan (Unless you're into that...)

To me, how a person chooses to live is just as important as the roles they play, and I think Hilary is great, I just hope she doesn't do all of her roles like that from now on, because that does say something about her.

PirateLover
10-25-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't really think it's a huge deal. She probably wanted to test her acting chops on a "real" role. You can't do Cinderella Story forever. Besides, it seems like no one even really heard of this movie anyway. It's not like it was plastered all over the place and young girls were dying to see it.