PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of T-Rex??

DDuck66
10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Now that the T-Rex is open, has anyone been there. How was the food and the experience. Was the food better than RC or about the same. We are thinking of stopping by in the next few weeks, when we go to DTD for Christmas Shopping.

Ed
10-24-2008, 07:14 AM
We ate lunch there yesterday.

Truthfully, it's not much different from the Rainforest Cafe. Instead of roaring tigers and trumpeting elephants, it's got roaring dinosaurs and moving sea creatures.

The menu is very similar, and the overall experience is almost identical. All the animal noises and "meteor showers" every 21 minutes tend to make for a very noisy environment.

The food was good, but fairly pricy. Lunch for two with one "adult beverage" each was over $60. Service was so-so, much of which we attributed to the newness of the place.

All in all, in my book, it's one of those places that we are unlikely to re-visit on any kind of regular basis. Perhaps when the grandkids visit, but that's about it.

henry.james.s
10-24-2008, 07:23 AM
The above review is a bout what I've expected. I've seen their menu and it's quite pricey and their website describes it more as a "attraction" than anything.
To each is own I guess.

pox24
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
We are still here as I write this. Trex was fabulous. Yes its a bit like the Rain Forest, but find me another place to eat where you are thrown back in time to the Jurrasic period with meteor showers, dinos of all kinds, an awesome ice cave, and a very diverse menu. Atmosphere is a 10, the food an 8 and value, well its at Disney. I can't wait to go back. :thumbsup:

DDuck66
10-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Guess we will have to give it a try ans see for ourselves. I am not a big fan of RFC but it has always been okay, at least the service was good the last time we went there.

harlowandthemermaid
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I was curious about this myself, especially since we have struck out getting reservations in any of the restaurants we wanted for our upcoming trip.
Thanks for the reviews!

Dsnygirl
10-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Just wondering about how long the wait has been for folks to get in, as they're not taking reservations yet... we'll be there in December, and really want to take our girls there for lunch. But -- I also won't wait an hour for seating, unless I can take a "beeper" and go shopping nearby! ;)

Any info on the waiting experience yet??

Ed
10-27-2008, 07:48 AM
We were there at 12:30 pm on a Thursday, and our wait time was about three minutes. One couple ahead of us, and quite a few empty tables.

wildernesslady
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
We were there last Fri. evening. Wait to check in was 20 min. and to be seated about 20. We were there at prime time though. The menu is smaller than rainforest, but we felt the food was good. It was a fun new experience. The build a dino we did after was fun also. We will definitely be back.

SillySymphony
10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
My company was interested in T-Rex as a possible place for Magic Music Days kids to enjoy a meal while on property, so my wife and I agreed to check it out when we were there last week.

First, as other travelers have correctly stated, T-Rex is MOSTLY attraction. From what I've read... they teamed up with the Imagineers to create the AA that surround the diner and truth be told, I find them a cut above the Rainforests offerings in that department.

There are quite distinct areas within the space, so I'll do my best to describe each, okay?

Upon passing by the entrance booth you may either go left or right. Taking a left brings you into the Gift Shop with the requisite items. There is an area similar to Build-a-Bear which allows you to stuff your own dino.

To the left of the entrance is the Main Dining room. It is called the Geo-Tech Room and it houses the greatest number of "working" AA's. Occaisionally there is a Meteor Shower overhead which is noisy, but within reason. It is exciting, I'm sure, to kids. I found it fun... the FIRST time. (If you catch my drift !!!) There is plenty to look at. Service was good. Our waitress was cracking wise with us which we like. She was efficient and friendly.

To the left of the Geo-Tech room is the Ice Cave. It is an illuminated space which is purposely kept MUCH cooler than the rest of the place. Perhaps this is a good thing in August... When the Meteor Shower erupts... the Ice Cave glows RED... Fun.

The bar area is themed to an Underwater look. As the kids we deal with are High School students in Chorus, Bands and Dancing Troupes, there was no reason for me to pay attention. It did appear to be a fun spot and was crowded with 20 and 30 somethings.

My wife and I shared an appetizer and burger. Prices WERE higher than, say, Planet Hollywood or ESPN. But this is not about the food. It is TOTALLY about the experience. All told, we spent about $ 40 on 2 non-alcoholic drinks, fries, appetizer and burger plate with tip.

The other important point to consider is this: Presently, T-Rex is NOT taking reservations. While we were seated immediately, other folks had at least a 30 - 40 minute wait in mid-afternoon (in October)

SFD998
10-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I was there last Friday at lunch time and waited probably five minutes. Atmosphere is really great if you like that kind of thing. Very similar to RFC. Also very noisy, but it just meant that I didn't have to worry how loud the kids were being. Was never a huge fan of RFC's food, but has never stopped me from going. Since, this was my first time to TREX I can't speak much on the food other than it was like eating at RFC.

Overall, It's a different experience that the kids like and I will go back.

CaptSmee
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
We were there last Friday and expected to have to wait an hour or longer like we had for Rainforest Cafe in the past. To our surprise, it was only a 20 min wait, which in turn was 15!

I had the mushroom ravioli, which is to die for!!! It was the best meal hands down I had our entire trip that week! Soooo yummy!:tasty:

MickeyMousse
10-29-2008, 09:33 AM
The reviews are just what I expected and we will definitely be going during our trip in 2/09. I just wonder how many times we'll have to eat there after our DS's get a dose of it!

DDuck66
10-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the info. It looks like we will have to gon on November 15th when we make a quick trip to DTD!