PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Zoo or Aquarium?

Davyjones
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi gang,

Being a zookeeper, I was just wondering what everyone's favorite zoo or aquarium is? What is it that makes it your top choice? I do expect a lot of people will say Animal Kingdom, which is definitely a great choice.

Although I work in a zoo, my favorite would be Monterey Bay Aquarium! I like everything about it! I especially love the Outer Bay Exhibit! Stunning is the best word for it, especially the times when they have a great white on display! It is just so well designed and maintained!

How about you all? :)

PittFan
10-21-2008, 10:08 PM
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium. The Polar bears are so cool. No pun intended. :D

iluvdizney2
10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
My hubby did contract work at Lily in Indianapolis for 4 years (2003-2007) and we spent every spring and summer out there....I completely miss the Indianapolis zoo and Conner Prairie (plus speedway and the indians!). We spent every single day at the zoo for 7 weeks. We would go every day for 2 hours and just focus on one area at a time. then we would go home eat lunch and head to conner prairie... I loved it a lot, and the kids did too....besides at the time it was fun walking along the canal to the zoo and just being together....boy I miss Indy and want to go back!

Meerkat
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Other than AK, I really like the San Diego Zoo. This is perhaps the finest zoo in the country.

kakn7294
10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I have to agree with PittFan - the Pittsburgh Zoo! I loved watching Angelina and Zuri play - they are our 2 baby elephants. Our elephant breeding program is awesome - Jackson, the male, fathered a couple of the calves born at AK several years ago. I think we have a good variety of animals for the size of the zoo and I like that they are trying to make it more environmentally correct for the animals.

3AMommy
10-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't forget the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, NE. We are three hours from there and would rather drive up to Omaha than go to the Kansas City Zoo.

It is such a great place, and there are a lot of indoor exhibits that are indoors so there is still lots to see in colder weather!

We love it!

3AMommy

cubbie
10-22-2008, 12:38 AM
The Henry Doorly Zoo here in Omaha is perhaps the most underrated zoo on the planet. It has a Desert Dome, the world's largest indoor jungle, a world-class aquarium, and the usual plethora of animals. On top of that, now that Rosenblatt Stadium is probably going to be torn down, it will open up a large plot of land next to the zoo, which, according to rumors, could be a panda or dolphin exhibit. Of course, those are just rumors, but having pandas would really put the zoo over the top.
Other than this one, I really liked the Bronx Zoo, but I was disappointed in the San Diego Zoo. I guess when I saw the "World Famous" on their sign, my expectations were set too high.

DisneyLandMomma
10-22-2008, 03:24 AM
San Diego Wild Animal Park is my favorite zoo(is it even considered a zoo??). We just love it there.

I have only been to two aquariums, Seattle and Long Beach, of the two Seattle was my favorite.

Katzateer
10-22-2008, 07:44 AM
We haven't been to any zoos outside the midwest.

I love chicago and St. Louis because they are FREE and are great zoos.

We have gone to the Columbus Zoo the most and enjoy. We try to go once a year since we are in Columbus a lot for dance competitions.

We lived in Indy when the new zoo opened about 17 years ago and loved going there when it was new. It is a great size for little kids and we loved the indoor water exhibits.

Diznee4Me
10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
We live nerar Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens in Columbia, South Carolina which is really nice and has had some major renovations/advances in recent years. They now have Gorillas, a new bird sancturay, koalas, and a larger elephant enclosure with more elephants.

We have a volunteer in our office who also volunteers for the zoo. It is neat to get the behind the scenes scoop from her each week. Several years ago she led the DD and me on a behind the scenes tour of the koala enclosure and the tiger/lion - sleeping/feeding areas. I never realized how large those animals are and I have a great photo of the DD allowing a tiger to lick her fingers through the cage. :cool:

Finally we recently visited the Georgia Aquarium and all I can say is WOW! Truly amazing. The whale sharks - four of them - are huge!

Ian
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
My favorite zoo is definitely Animal Kingdom.

Oh wait, Disney keeps telling me it's "Nahtazu"... guess that doesn't count. ;)

No, I gotta go close to home here and say it would be America's first zoo, the Philadelphia Zoo. Been going there since I was a little kid and I love it. It's needed some TLC for awhile and it's finally getting some. Now if they could just stop burning up all the monkeys, we'd be okay ...

Aquarium, definitely Baltimore. It's so nice down there, although Camden's is pretty nice, too. But the whole Inner Harbor area just wins out.

Jeff G
10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Does Sea World count? If so that get's my vote.

I've only been to a few zoo's. My favorite would probably be the St. Louis Zoo. I also enjoyed the Toledo Zoo, it was small but was set up very nicely. We've been to the Milwaukee Zoo many times, it's a great day trip for the kids but it has to much concrete and feels cold.

As for aquariums, I really enjoy the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (I'm a junkie for aquariums and fish which is why I like Sea World so much). The Shedd has a great variety of fish with a good dolphin show.

BeccaO
10-22-2008, 02:34 PM
We live in PA but we spend most weekends at the Jersey Shore, both of our families have homes there. We visit the Cape May County Zoo which is FREE!!!!! They depend on donations to operate the zoo. This zoo is open all year around and it is fabulous!!!!!!! Our kids love it and they have some great animals!!

My choice for aquarium would be the Baltimore Aquarium at Inner Harbor. We love going down and staying there for the weekend in the winter and visiting the aquarium, it's awesome!!!!

Boojum
10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
...loved the zoo in Washington D.C.

Also, Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg is very cool with the shark tunnel!

DisneyDog
10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
My heart belongs to our nation's first zoo in Philly. I think it's beautiful and I love that they preserve the Centennial buildings. My family has a membership.

We live near the Elmwood Park zoo in Norristown , PA and go there occasionally. The Cape May County Zoo is lovely, and so great that it is free.

I was sadly disappointed by the National Zoo I think it's design is ridiculous that it does not make a complete loop. You get to the end and you have to walk all the way back through the same way you already came.

Melanie
10-22-2008, 07:09 PM
One of the high points of this island I live on is the incredible aquarium. Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium used to be the largest in the world until the Georgia Aquarium was built. It still has the world's largest acrylic panel and I could sit there all day looking at the whale sharks and other sea life. It's really incredible!

Davyjones
10-22-2008, 11:12 PM
One of the high points of this island I live on is the incredible aquarium. Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium used to be the largest in the world until the Georgia Aquarium was built. It still has the world's largest acrylic panel and I could sit there all day looking at the whale sharks and other sea life. It's really incredible!

Mel, have you ever been to the Ring of Fire Aquarium in Osaka? That was the first aquarium in the world to display whale sharks successfully. And I hear the design of the aquarium is amazing! I need to go to an aquarium to see whale sharks somewhere in this world! :D

Diznee4Me
10-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Mel, have you ever been to the Ring of Fire Aquarium in Osaka? That was the first aquarium in the world to display whale sharks successfully. And I hear the design of the aquarium is amazing! I need to go to an aquarium to see whale sharks somewhere in this world! :D

Atlanta has four at their aquarium. Awesome creatures and HUGE!

Melanie
10-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Atlanta has four at their aquarium. Awesome creatures and HUGE!

They are huge! I'm most amazed at how all the other fish piggy back on them. It's too cute.

I have not been to the one in Osaka. That sounds like a definite must if we get up there to go to Universal Studios.

Ed
10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Another vote for the National Aquarium in Baltimore, my old home town. :thumbsup:

I was one of the local people who derided the entire idea of building "a big fish tank" on the Inner Harbor. Until the first time I actually visited it. After that, totally different story. It's a great facility in a wonderfully developed harbor area, and well worth repeat visits.

:shark:

PirateLover
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Despite it's crazy layout, I love the National Zoo. It's free, and there are so many great animals. AND the have Pandas, which are my favorite animals!!! We saw a Panda on pregnancy watch this past July.

I do love the Philly Zoo though. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been there. As Ian said, it's back on the rise. They have a great petting zoo! Love those greedy goats...

AZ Disney
10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm the mom of a future zookeeper, so we try to visit as many as we can. Here is a list of the zoo's we've been to and then I'll highlight the ones that have been favorites.

Sacaramento Zoo - really enjoyed this one.
SF Zoo - this was our local zoo, so we went frequently.
Oakland Zoo - This was our local zoo too, and loved it.
Happy Hollow Zoo (San Jose, CA) - Loved this one, small and just perfect.
San Diego Zoo - can't go wrong here, but it's just sooooooooo big.
San Diego Wild Animal Park - same as above. Wonderful Programs - we did the Cheetah Run program and that was fabulous.
LA Zoo - This is a gem. We loved this one.
PHX Zoo - this is our local zoo now, but it's more about the tree house than the animals.
Wildlife World Zoo (another zoo in PHX) and really neat. You get much closer to the animals.
Out of Africa (North of PHX) - This place is great. You get to watch the feedings, awesome photo ops, so much fun.
Reid Park Zoo (Tucson, AZ) - small and just so cute. The perfect little outing.
NM Zoo - It's been awhile, but I remember loving it and the Polar Bears exhibit was fabulous.
Philly Zoo - went as a kid a lot and took the boys 2 years ago and we loved it.
Fort Wayne Children's Zoo - Another Gem for us. Small but we had such great time with all the animals.

Headed back to SoCal in December and we're going to try out the Santa Ana Zoo and Orange County Zoo. I hope to get us to the Indy Zoo and Columbus Zoo in the next year or so.

Princess'Mom
10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Hmmm. Tough decision - so here it goes - in no particular order - I really like them all as each is different and has something to offer in its own unique way.

1. National Aquarium, Baltimore
2. Philadelphia Zoo
3. San Francisco Zoo (childhood favorite)
4. Metro Richmond, VA Zoo (private, has an excellent Giraffe progam)
5. Monterey Bay Aquarium

pixiegoose
10-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I loved the Monterey Bay Aquarium when I was little (I haven't been there in about 17 years!). My dad was stationed at Fort Ord and my parents always bought annual passes, so we spent lots of weekend days there in the off-season (less tourists!). I'd love to go back as an adult.

My favorite zoo is the Minnesota Zoo- we even had our wedding reception there!

wdwfansince75
10-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I've been a nut for zoos and aquaria since visiting the Bronx Zoo as a child. Regretfully, Saylorsburg, PA did not have a zoo. Snuck into Franklin Park Zoo while a student at Villanova....visited the Zoo in Tokyo while stationed at Atsugi, Japan....Loved the San Diego Zoo, and the San Francisco Zoo, which we visited while stationed at Monterey, CA. We used to take the kids to the Honolulu Zoo, and loved that as well. Ditto for the National Zoo in DC, and the Baltimore Zoo, and the Inner Harbor Aquarium, which we visited when we lived in MD....Down here, Greenville, SC has a small but delightful zoo....Even got to visit the London Zoo, while in the UK on a Naval Reserve assignment. But my favorite was the Jakarta Zoo in Indonesia....especially loved all the lizards, particularly the Komodo Dragons ....largest geckos I ever saw! Lots of unique animals, including the bears from Sumatra.

harlowandthemermaid
10-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Aquarium, definitely Baltimore. It's so nice down there, although Camden's is pretty nice, too. But the whole Inner Harbor area just wins out.

This could be a future "date" spot for Jake and Vivien ;)