PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy Next Week

Jeff G
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I went to my doctor last week because I had blood in my stool. He checked me out and at first was going to send me home but at the last minute he changed his mind. He sent me to the lab to draw blood and test for anemia & to my thyroid function. He also had me bring home a Fecal Occult Blood Test(FOBT) which I sent back last Friday.

On Saturday I received a note in the mail that my blood tests were normal and I felt a weight off of my shoulders. Today though I got a call that my FOBT came back positive for blood. They now want me in ASAP to do a colonoscopy which I have scheduled for next Thursday. Obviously from the notes I've gotten with my test and the doctor the number one concern is colon cancer. I am freaked out right now and wish the test could be today.

I'm 37, feel healthy and have four young kids at home. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst.

Are there any other conditions that could be causing this that I can hold out hope for?

Sunshine1010
10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I was just 40 when I had one (I'm female).

Do you think the bloodwork came back with some results, or they the actual blood test? That will tell us something....

Same circumstances as you, but it was the gynecologist who found the blood in my stool (you know what they do).

They gave me the same kit and I took it home. Mailed it in.

Came back 'positive'. Colonoscopy was scheduled.

Of course, the worst of the worst thoughts went through my mind.

They were looking for polyps. If there are any, they'll take them out (they burn them off your colon wall).

Procedure:
- they'll give you something to take the night before. Whether it's pills, a liquid to drink....whatever it may be, you'll be in the bathroom all night (no cramps).
- at the hospital, they'll start an IV and do all the regular checking.
- they'll take you to the procedure room and put you to sleep
- you'll wake up and can't leave until you eat

NO PAIN. ABSOLUTELY NO PAIN. I didn't feel a thing and you couldn't even tell it was done. Even when I had my first BM...I noticed absolutely nothing.

It's a simple procedure, although I was freaked out before the procedure because I was so scared of pain, and the results.

My results were from a bad stomach infection, which they gave me a medicine for (had to take it for 6 weeks).

Calm down....I'll be praying for you.

I'm sure someone else will come along with more info.

crazypoohbear
10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
It could be something as simple as hemroids that are causing the blood.
It could be a benign polyp that got irritated.
You could have had an "uncomfortable bowel movement" that caused some distress and tearing in the rectum.
As easy as it is for me to sit here and tell you not to worry, I know in your shoes I would be a basket case aslo, but in your more reasonable moments (you will have some) please remember that it doesn't have to be cancer and it could be something very simple.
Sending you prayers and pixie dust for a clean bill of health.
Please try to breath and take it easy.

disneymom07
10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I've had 3 so far (I'm 40). The prep is worse than the procedure, but you get through it. You won't feel a thing during your colonoscopy, they medicate well for that. And you shouldn't feel anything after either.

Internal hemorrhoids could also be another cause for the blood in your stool. I've had a pre cancerous polyp and a non cancerous polyp. So far so good.

Good luck and I'll pray for you.

mrsgaribaldi
10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree with what everyone has said. There are many things that could be cuasing the bleeding. I had a colonscopy many years ago. Like disneymom07 said, the prep is worse than the procedure itself. I think I got Valium IV for the test. Anyway, loads of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers heading your way for a smooth test and great results. :hug:

pogo
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey buddy..... relax ! It could be something far simpler than colon cancer. Have you taken a bunch of meds recently like ibuprofen, aleve, aspirin ??? You might have an ulcer even (especially in your line of work) causing it.

As far as the colonoscopy goes..... piece of cake. You can do it in your sleep. ;)

I'll put you on our prayer list at church, but I think you will be alright.

Keep me informed.... you know where I've been hanging out. God bless. :D

Ruprect
10-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Guess I'll chime in because I actually have experience with this stuff.

I have Ulcerative Colitis that flares up occasionally. Diagnosed when I was 20 and had my first colonoscopy then and now that I'm over 30 I have to have one once every 2 years. Prep stinks...drugs before procedure are nice. You don't feel a thing during or after.

I wouldn't over worry about until you actually have something to worry about. Don't be surprised if they say they are going to do a biopsy if they've removed any polyps. Doesn't mean anything except they want to make sure there aren't any problems.

Good luck with the prep. If you are drinking the "Go-lytly" stuff (I think that's the right spelling) make sure you keep it nice and cold. It is awful warm.

TinkerbellT421
10-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Jeff I have no experience with it at all...I just wanted to stop in and say, no need to worry Im sure everything will be fine. I am sending prayers and pixie dust your way! :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Diznee4Me
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I have no experience with this either but wanted to wish you luck and share this funny story.

On a recent Sunday morning at our church our new pastor stepped up to the podium and looked out over the congregation. He said "Y'all need to smile - I'm the one who had the colonoscopy this week!" :D

We all busted out laughing! :rotfl:

DizNee143
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
i have no experience with any of this..but i hope everything ends up being ok for you and its nothing major!!
pixie dust on the way!! im sure it will help!! :thumbsup:

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

The Reservoir Dog
10-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Just want to wish you all the best Jeff and hope everything turns out well for you.

My very best wishes to you. :thumbsup:

Ian
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Best wishes, Jeff. I'm 39 and had a little experience with something similar last year.

Turned out to be nothing to worry about. Let's hope yours is the same.

mdhiggin
10-22-2008, 02:23 PM
BIL had blood in his stool and was diagnosed with escemic colitis(unsure of spelling). My father was diagnosed with colon cancer recently, and I don't think he had blood in his stool. He started getting really weak, and he was losing blood somewhere and he became jaundiced from a blockage. It was scary for awhile, but he started chemo yesterday. He's on many prayer lists, and he's keeping a positive attitude. He had his portacath put on the opposite side of where he needed to put his rifle stock, so he could go deer hunting last weekend. We found out that he had had the cancer for at least seven years, and there is still hope. They've made great strides in chemo, according to the chemo doctor, and they have positive comments about his recovery. My father is 61, and we have a family history of colon cancer, including his father and his sister.

God can do wonders, and a positive mindset will too. Don't let it get you down. Don't worry about it another second. Worry won't help anything, according to the Bible. It will just make you miserable. Have your procedures done and try to be positive about it. It could be nothing, and if it's not, it could be fixed. God loves you Jeff G. Just absorb the peace that only he can give you. Sorry if this sounded preachy, but my Dad's ordeal has touched me personally.

pink
10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I've never had a colonoscopy but today I had an Endoscopy for the first time and if it makes you feel any better it went fine. The worst part is the anticipation and the IV. I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything goes well.

merlinmagic4
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
No advice/experience but here's some :pixie: :pixie: for you!

jillluvsdisney
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
I will pray for the best possible outsome for you. Eat very lightly the day before you have to start drinking the prep stuff. Trust me, the less in you, the happier you will be. The procedure is painless. I'm very glad that at least you sought a Dr's opinion and having it checked instead of ignoring your symptom.

tinkerbellybutton
10-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey you, There are so many simple things that can cause the test to be positive... I actually recently had something similar and it tured out to be diverticulitis (sp?), not fun but no big deal. I'm sending tons of pixie dust for you... :pixie: try not to stress about it (I know that's easier said than done) and take care of yourself. You'll be in my prayers and just like pogo, you know where to find me hanging out too ;) Keep us up to date, K?

crazypoohbear
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Just wondering how everything turned out for you. Hopefully everything is fine

Jeff G
10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Just wondering how everything turned out for you. Hopefully everything is fine

I'm scheduled for 11:30 tomorrow. I'll let you know how things go at some point tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and words everyone, it's really helped make me feel so much better.

tinkerbellybutton
10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm scheduled for 11:30 tomorrow. I'll let you know how things go at some point tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and words everyone, it's really helped make me feel so much better.

:pixie: & :hug: again, good luck.

handmaidenofprincesses
10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Good luck, and don't worry...

If my 6 year old niece could handle it, I'm sure you'll be just fine!;)

Sunshine1010
10-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Have you had the procedure yet? If so, how'd it go? I've been praying for you....

Jeff G
10-31-2008, 12:19 AM
The procedure was today and it went well, everything that is except the prep last night. The procedure went very quickly, I was in and out just over an hour and there was no discomfort after wards.

As for the findings, the report I got back was normal. They found no polyps nor anything unusual. To be safe the doctor took a couple samples from the colon to send out for a biopsy. He explained he would be doing this before the procedure so it wasn't alarming, just a precaution.

The diagnosis was that I have IBS which I've been told I have for 10+ years.

I assume this is the extent of the exams my doctor wants to run in regards to the blood and I should be OK to go.

Thanks so much for all the kinds words, prayers and pixie dust. Going into this today was so much easier knowing I had so much support from not only my family & friends but also my on line community here at Intercot.

pogo
10-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Great news Buddy ! :thumbsup:

Just logged in to check on you. :secret:

Talk to you soon ! :D

DizNee143
10-31-2008, 08:23 AM
glad the procedure went well..and nothing is wrong!! :)

The Reservoir Dog
10-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear everything went well. :thumbsup:

Piglet822
10-31-2008, 10:06 AM
:thumbsup: Glad it went well, Jeff!

cer
10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
So glad it went well for you!

mrsgaribaldi
11-01-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm glad it was good:thumbsup: