PDA

View Full Version : Things that will be missed in the theme parks

MaxPower
10-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Change is inevitable at Walt Disney World. Attractions come and go, but there are many "smaller" changes that have been made over the years. I am curious about what other Intercotters miss that have been removed from the parks that are not attractions in themselves.

I miss the following:

1) The Penny Arcade on Main Street

2) The doves that flew over the audience during the finale of Beauty and the Beast

3) The original Illuminations

4) In The Land at Epcot, there was a booth in the food court that sold Strawberries & Cream fruit whips that were incredible

5) The jeep that chased you on Kilimanjaro Safaris and the live CM with the rifle

What do you miss?

grumpyguy
10-21-2008, 08:43 AM
the parrot outside potc!!!

MomOfAPrincess502
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
The living statue at Epcot.

DDuck66
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
1. The live CM's at Living with the Land in Epcot. It is just not the same with the recorded voice.
2. Four for a Dollar at DHS!!!

LarryBoy
10-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Having real live animators working on a Disney movie at Disney Studios. It was so cool to go on the animation tour and actually see them working on a Disney movie that would be coming out in the future. I'm very sad they are gone. :( Of course I'm also sad :( that traditional animation has gone away. I hope Lasseter brings it back.

TheRustyScupper
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Change is inevitable at Walt Disney World. Attractions come and go, but there are many "smaller" changes that have been made over the years.

1) Reduction in live performers and live shows.
2) Reduction in maintenance and repair.
3) Reduction in hours of seasonal attractions.
4) Reduction in park hours due to hard-ticket events.
5) Reduction in restaurant menu items or standardization of items.

Mickey91
10-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Four for a Dollar :(

Menu variety - Especially the cheese steak at Comis Rays!

Feeling like a guest instead of just another duped tourist

Halloween bags themed for the party and not an advertisement for the current movies

Park/Resort specific merchandise. I hate the Disney Parks theme! And I miss my resort mugs! I cannot stand the fact that most all the shops are carbon copies of each other.

That Disney magic - It is beginning to feel like just another theme park!

wedway76
10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Call ma crazy, but I miss the powdered hand soap :silly:

DizNee143
10-21-2008, 12:25 PM

OMG..me too..that soap was soo cool..i would forever be washing my hands when they had that..i was so fascinated by it! :thumbsup:

Tinkerbella16
10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
The street with the houses from the Backlot Tour. That was my favorite part of the tour...it was so cool. I still can't believe they tore it all down. I don't even waste my time going on it anymore.

Meteora
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
1. The live CM's at Living with the Land in Epcot. It is just not the same with the recorded voice.

I completely, completely agree. I love LwtL, but the CMs narrating made it so much more personal. Now it seems far more generic.

The street with the houses from the Backlot Tour. That was my favorite part of the tour...it was so cool. I still can't believe they tore it all down. I don't even waste my time going on it anymore.

I agree with this as well. Since the studios ceased to be an actual working studio, the tour seems to have decreased in relevance more and more. I think they really need to redo it, because at this point, it's sort of a "ride it once and done for my next four visits" type deal. Back when people still shot shows and movies at the studios, the tour was really cool. Now it's just sort of meh.

And finally, I miss Horizons, but moreover, I miss what it represented, that air of learning and education and exploration that used to be synonymous with Epcot. I feel like Epcot has gotten further and further away from that spirit, and I think it needs to head back. And for good measure, I also miss Cranium Command and the original Journey into Imagination.

AdventurerKim
10-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I miss the original Backlot Tour that took like an hour, and you went inside the production studios and say props from movies and seeing "The Lottery" with Bette Midler. I also miss the houses on the backlot and walking through the Osborne lights on the houses. I miss staying at Poly which I can't afford. :(

I also miss Horizons, Cranium Command, Skyway, original Imagination, original Image Works, Mr. Toad, original Tiki Room, etc.

LarryBoy
10-21-2008, 01:16 PM

That stuff was awesome! :thumbsup: Something about the friction made you feel like your hands were really clean.

KylesMom
10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
The scaled back performance schedule for Fantasmic that is going to be occuring. :(

The Garden Grill for lunch, which was one of our favorite character meals. Can't see giving up our LeCellier dinner for GG . . .

Variation of shopping merchandise instead of the same thing over and over again, regardless of what park/store you're at.

Unique refillable mugs.

Guests who respected the CMs and other guests. This one goes hand-in-hand with being able to watch a parade or fireworks display without being shoved out of your spot by the "me me me" crowd at the last minute.

Faver
10-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I miss the original Osbourne Family Lights display with the houses, instead of using buildings.

Imagineer1981
10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Having real live animators working on a Disney movie at Disney Studios. It was so cool to go on the animation tour and actually see them working on a Disney movie that would be coming out in the future. I'm very sad they are gone. :( Of course I'm also sad :( that traditional animation has gone away. I hope Lasseter brings it back.

Couldn't agree more...I am still angry at this whole scenario:mad::(

JabberJaws
10-21-2008, 02:49 PM
These are the things that I missed most, in order of how much I miss them...

The ORIGINAL Citrus Swirls at the Sunset Tree Terrace in AL at MK.
The CM that used to come out and get the guitar during the RnR preshow.
The walk around Dreamfinder character who had the Figment puppet (though I know it wouldn't make sense anymore now that he isn't in the ride haha)
The Mayan Chief statue that came to life at the beginning of ERDT.
The flying eagle on the peak of EE (yeah I know it looked stupid but it was always good for a laugh!)

I know there are more than that, but I am drawing a blank!

Zawadi
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Like other posters to this thread I miss:

Four for a Dollar
Guides on Living With The Land
The Animators - we last saw them completing "Brother Bear"
The prop room on the backlot tour (seeing Maximillian from "The Black Hole")
The scene from the real-life "101 Dalmations"

The road-roller, from in front of Studio Catering Co., as it reminds me of the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". It has been relocated in to the boneyard.

mainemajor
10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
The living statues from Epcot - could watch them for hours
Magic Shop on Main St. USA - what a fun stop
The annimators at the Studios - I, too last saw them working on Brother Bear. They MADE the studio real, now it's a fun theme park
The original Figment -Journey into Imagination
Skyway at MK - what a view you got of the park
Discovery Island - you got away from it all for a while
Body Battles - Cranium Command and the rest of that entire pavillion - closed but not forgotten

EPCOTGAL1
10-22-2008, 07:10 PM
How about "World of Motion"?

I miss the the guy in RcRc that gets the Les Paul.

Four for a Dollar

Skyway ride

Alien Encounters

The "original" Universe of Energy

and the list goes on and on...

Wickster1970
10-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Couldn't agree more...I am still angry at this whole scenario:mad::(

I will really miss seeing the animators at work as well. :cry:

Zawadi
10-23-2008, 04:54 AM
I've just remembered the "Jungle Book" show that was replaced by "Tarzan Rocks!".

However, I don't miss "Tarzan Rocks!" at all!

mcjaco
10-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I miss the following,

EPCOT: The retro signs. Sea Base Alpha. The moving balloons in The Land. The ponds within the Innoventions plaza. The doubledecker buses in World Showcase. The real Journey Into Imagination.

MGM/DHS: The view of Hollywood Blvd. without the Hat. The Animation Tour with ANIMATORS! The working backlot.

AK: I don't miss much there. They haven't taken anything away, really.

MK: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Adventureland minus the Alladin garbage. Mission to Mars.

EPCOTGAL1
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I forgot one!!!

how about the hologram of the horse/carriage in ROME in SSE! I was so disappointed to see that gone. And, don't get me started on how I miss Jeremy Irons........

kbean
10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Is that magic shop still there???

kemps@wdw
10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I miss the flower carts that were @ MK on Main St (on the left as you walked thru). I thought all the varieties and colors were breathtaking!
I also miss River Country, and the Skyway.:(

EditReject
10-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I miss the magic shop on Main Street USA too! When I was younger I could get lost in there forever.

I also miss the Main Street Electrical Parade. Spectromagic is nice but I get goosebumps everytime I hear the opening notes to Baroque Hoedown!

kathymk616
10-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I know it didn't draw big crowds, but I miss "The Walt Disney Story". (I'm old school.) In fact, one of my favorite Simpsons episodes is when they spoof it on the visit to "Itchy-And-Scratchy Land". It shows Steamboat Itchy, who then turns and brutally murders Scratchy.

I also miss "If You Had Wings". (I warned you that I was old school.)

Ditto to the posters who mentioned the Main Street Electric Light Parade and the double decker buses in Epcot.

Magic Smiles
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I miss the flower carts that were @ MK on Main St (on the left as you walked thru). I thought all the varieties and colors were breathtaking!
I also miss River Country, and the Skyway.:(
Since my first visit was in 2000, I missed most of the exhibits listed. I do remember the flower carts, they were wonderful, but I had started to think that I had dreamed them up. Wonder why something so simple to care for would be taken away.

BigRedDad
10-25-2008, 08:19 PM
As with all companies at the moment, everyone is scaling back on expenses. It is the nature of the beast with the economy declining at a record pace. Unfortunately, they will be scaling back many things and charging more for what the people want. Hard-ticket events will be more likely if people want those extra hours in the parks.

With that said, here are things I miss:
1. The giant Hercules pinball machine in the Contemporary. It took 3 people to play.
2. 20k Leagues
3. Visitors with common courtesy
4. My money's worth
5. The arcade by PotC
6. Skyway
7. Mr Toad's
8. River Country - darn deadly amoeba
9. The original Pioneer Hall - when it had the state of the art arcade games, vibrating Big Al chair.
10. Tron merchandise

pdrlkr
10-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I know this is not technically in the parks, but I really miss the "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!" :thumbsup:

MickeysEars
10-26-2008, 11:42 AM
A REAL Backlot Tour and not just CC
I WILL miss the Adventurer's club
I will miss the characters at Liberty Tree
I miss the guy on KS at AK who caught the poachers

pokci
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
1. During Candlelight Processional it used to snow when they sang Silent Night....
2. The DNA helix and Body Pavillion
3. Horizons (already posted and fully agree)
4. The non-princess meals at Akershus
5. That old magical, Disney unique feeling...

Where did the pixie dust go? :confused:

Monorail_Red
10-26-2008, 07:21 PM
the parrot outside potc!!!
And how about the skull & crossbones just before the drop?

I forgot one!!!

how about the hologram of the horse/carriage in ROME in SSE! I was so disappointed to see that gone. And, don't get me started on how I miss Jeremy Irons........
I 2nd that...and all the previous SSE music/sounds

I know that this isn't in the parks, but how about the old monorail spiels? And the big Disney "D" logos that were (or soon to be removed) on the monorails?

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Well for me Its been a while since ive been there but from reading what you guys have posted I am already missing some of the stuff thats obviously gone. I loved the animation studio and the fact that you got a sneak peak at what was comming out. My last trip they were working on brother bear and i thought it was sooo cool to see the Macats that they used as a model. The Magic shop is gone??? One of my best/campy-est/whatever memory as a kid was getting an invisible dog from there and just being silly the whole day walking that thing around. My youngest DS was actually looking forward to going and getting one of his own.
I miss the wonder that everyone felt by being there. It seemed that everyone was just sooo happy to be at Disney and were having a great time that they would insist that you went ahead of them or some other courtesy just to make sure you had as good of a time as they were having. If that has changed as much as you claim then thats almost reason to cry. When did Money start being more improtant than the Mouse?? That being said, maybe we could start a sort of "Pass it On " campaign in here. We could sort of become Good Will Ambassadors for our fellow guests while we are there. If we take that extra step to make thier trip as special as ours, perhaps they will do the same for others. And it will hopefully spread and then we will slowly have the park we all remember back to it former Pixie Dust Covered glory. >>Gets down from soap box<< :blush:

Ahem... anyway, I know this was a ride but I kind of miss 20,000 leagues under the sea. I always went on it.

Katzateer
10-27-2008, 07:36 AM
These responses were great to read! Bring back a lot of memories.

The main thing I miss is the way guests were treated in the past-now it is more like a regular old tourist trap-a lot of the magic is gone (but not enough to keep me away).

I REALLY miss the animators at work and I will miss Four for a Dollar.

Seems like each year something wonderful is gone.....and no new attractions make up the difference for the high quality ones that are missing.

Rhetoric2000
10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
The two really big mega-ones are:

- Number of performers live in the parks.
- Uniformity of shops and merchandise - especially what Main Street has become.

other than that I'd say:

- Akershus as it was.
- The feel of Future World in EPCOT.
- The short-lived live Jungle Book show was great.

And finally one word - Duckburg.

sshahan76
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I've seen it on here several times. I recognize almost all of the most missed items, but not this one.

I miss the happy cast members and the courteous guests. I miss the cleanliness and attention to detail at the parks. I miss the flower carts on main street. I miss the SkyWay. I miss the comedic bus drivers! But most of all I miss the overall magical feeling, now it's such a hustle and bustle theme park without the original feel of Disney's pixie dust covered property.

Simba's Mom
10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I know this is not technically in the parks, but I really miss the "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!" :thumbsup:

Boy, I'm with you on this one. When the guy in the yellow polo shirt ran into himself (remember they duplicated about 4 of him?), then I knew I was watching Disney TV. I also miss Mickey waking me up and being soo glad I'm here. And I knew he was gonna see me real soon (can you tell I had his spiel memorized-I LOVED it). In the parks, I miss-
1. Cinderella's Royal Table lunch when it was non-character, and their yummy caesar salad.
2. Lots of live entertainment-Future Corps, Tomorrowland Countdown, MK Main Street Band, American Vybe
3. Strawberry Swirls
4. Lafitte's photo place by POTC
5. The pretty flower carts in MK Main Street

IloveDisney71
10-27-2008, 07:17 PM

Me too. I thought was so neat to be able to see them at work.

kathymk616
10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I've thought of even more stuff I miss...

When Epcot was EPCOT
Tapestry of Nations in EPCOT
The song from the original Universe of Energy
The song from The Land (1st incarnation)
Going up the curving path and into the cave with the footprints on the wall in the original World of Motion
When Main Street was more than just stores
Nipper in the front of Space Mountain (when it was sponsored by RCA)
When it was called the WEDway
When characters were frequently out and about in the Magic Kingdom

Not in the parks, but I still miss:

The sound of the doors being closed one-by-one on the original monorails
The Fort Wilderness railroad
The Fort Wilderness trams
Swimming (and waterskiing) in Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake
The Empress Lily restaurant, paddlewheel and all
Discovery Island
River Country
The Concourse Buffeteria at the Contemporary

SandmanGStefani24
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
things I miss :
1. The World of Motion
2. The ending of Spaceship Earth just before the new one...
3. The facades of TV show houses in the Backlot
4. El Rio Del Tiempo

LarryBoy
10-28-2008, 09:56 AM
I forgot one!!!

I still miss Walter Cronkite's narration. I haven't been since they removed the horse and chariot running up the street, that stinks. Can you still smell Rome burning?

DizNee143
10-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I forgot one!!!

is that the one you would see..coming up from one street and then goes went down alittle and turned on to another street? i use to love that..i was so dissappointed it doesnt do that anymore!

Princess'Mom
10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

MaxPower
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I also miss "Inside The Magic: The Special Effects & Walking Tour" which included the Stop animation technology from Dick Tracy, putting two kids on a huge bee from Honey i Shrunk The Kids and filming them in front of a blue screen, walking through the overhead corridors behind one-way glass to watch the actual taping of The Mickey Mouse Club and Star Search, and watching the mini-move called The Lottery starring Bette Midler that was filmed entirely on New York Street.

slegrant
10-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I miss the diffrent refillable mugs

I miss the skyway

I miss River Country, I loved that water park as a kid. Also as you walked to River Country The Water Wagon with the RC logo on it.

The huge gameroom at the contemporary ( now the wave)

I miss the Country Bear Christmas Special and the Vacation hoe down.

The orange smell in Horizons

I could go on but these are the things I miss most.

One last thing, and for those of you who are Fort Wilderness veterans the make your own pizza bar. That was so much fun, then eating the pizza while watching that super funny guy who sang tram ride. (going way back)

I still love WDW:mickey:

jennsky
10-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's my list of what I miss:

1. The Parrot outside POTC
2. The skull & crossbones talking to you before the drop in POTC (I've still got his spiel memorized!)
3. The Zip-a-dee-doo-dah era of Resort TV (I can hardly stand watching the new stuff!)
4. Horizons - especially the orange smell!
5. Actually believing that Sea-Base Alpha was deep below under the water
6. The balloons in the Land pavilion
7. El Rio del Tiempo (not a big fan of the Three Caballeros)
8. The Penny Arcade - my favorites were the "flip-movies" where you'd turn the crank to get the movie images to flip past, giving the illusion of movement. I loved those things!!!

DigitalDaredevil
10-30-2008, 05:52 AM
After reading this thread, I have realized that there is way more to miss than what I already do.

I miss the parrot from Pirates, but I think he was relocated to World of Disney Store.

RnRC: The guy that gets the Les Paul was a neat touch.

ToT: "Evil Tower You Are Doomed" missing from the directory.

I also am disappointed with the lack of park or area specific merchandise. I have always wanted a Space Mountain shirt but have not seen anything SM specific and worthwhile in years.

I would also like to see simple shirts of each land of MK. A Tomorrowland or Adventureland shirt would make me happy. More retro clothing similar to the shirts they made for Epcot that you can still find in Mouse gears.

A little more food variety, or more of the restaurants being open all the time, not just seasonally.

I miss Wonders of Life but if you are not going to use it, reuse the area for something new.

I will forever miss Horizons. Just hanging out in that area was a real treat. The origins of Epcot and Disney's specialty of dark rides were very well represented there with WoM and Horizons. Two rides locales that have not been improved upon. I like Space and Test Track, but they are not as rerideable as Horizons and WoM were.

And of course I cannot leave out Pleasure Island. It was exciting every night knowing that there was a New Years eve show, sometimes a band. It was a lively area. And the Adventurer's Club. A very popular and beloved unique attraction that hopefully will be reopened or at worst, relocated.

Polynesian Dweller
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
RnRC: The guy that gets the Les Paul was a neat touch.

He was there last week when we went through. Caught me off guard cause I thought he was gone permanently too!

My misses:

EPCOT: Horizons, World of Motion

DHS: The live animators, always a treat to see what was on the drawing boards. The original fountain in front of muppets. It doesn't move the same as it did when it opened with a spinning and rising Miss Piggy. Residential Street.

MK: The Skyway

CosmicRay
10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I miss:
The open area at the entrance of Epcot, now they have the Leave a Legacy tombstones.
I also miss the big prism type piece that used to be in front of SSE. The lights would change colors around it.
I miss the old Land entrance area
And the animation studio :(

morebroccoli
10-30-2008, 03:26 PM
i too miss the old Epcot entrance! Along with the crystal fountain right at the base of SSE, the open area with the flowerbeds. it was so beautiful. now it is just heavy and off-putting with the giant tombstones and generic rock fountain. depressing really.

i miss the silversmiths shop in liberty square.
The shop in the walkway through the Castle that sold swords and cool collectables. i got the coolest inscense burner there in 1994 that was a dragon layin on his back. cutest thing ever, never seen one like it since

i miss the old yellow disney envelopes you'd get in the mail when you booked a trip that said " you're going to Disney World" on it. (i swear they used to say that... am i imagining things?)

MR TOAD. :(

of course, all the unique merch that used to be park specific or hard to find elsewhere. it made shopping more fun and i used to buy so much more stuff and have better memories of the things i'd seen. now it seems so mass-produced and generic.

luvdiznee
10-30-2008, 04:49 PM
:cool:DaVine. And the mythological characters in front on Italy, or is it France. Oh, and Tarzan show.

LarryBoy
10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
The shop in the walkway through the Castle that sold swords and cool collectables. i got the coolest inscense burner there in 1994 that was a dragon layin on his back. cutest thing ever, never seen one like it since

That shop was the coolest! As an adolescent boy I can remember wanting to buy everything they had. Of course I never bought anything there, maybe that's why it's gone.