PDA

View Full Version : My new babies!!!

kakn7294
10-20-2008, 11:03 PM
:cat: Many of you will remember that we lost both of our beloved kitties in May and June and were brokenhearted over the loss. Well, a week ago, we opened our home and hearts to 2 new babies, a pair of 6 month old sisters - Annie (http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/43231/2249974210102032678S600x600Q85.jpg) and Maya (http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/42269/2424230510102032678S600x600Q85.jpg). The have been rather shy so far as they came from a home of a co-worker's mother. They are used to a quiet home with no kids and no dog but they are coming around although they are still terrified of the dog. They are quite the night owls, keeping us awake with their antics. Annie is smaller and has a cute, innocent kitten look about her - she's more free with her affections as well. Maya is bigger and more elegant but she's quite the stinker - twice now I've spent hours searching for her to discover that once she was inside, underneath the fridge (not in the cold part) and the other time she was inside a dresser drawer. We are so in love with them already!

beksy
10-21-2008, 01:30 AM
:congrats:I'm so happy for you! I also completly understand the night owl situation. My new baby is almost 6 months old and seems to get a spurt of energy just as I'm going to bed, no matter what time that is, and then again around 3 a.m. :trampo: I knew getting those little balls with the bells in them was a mistake! :doh:Seriously, they are wonderful and so easy to love. Plus, living alone Minnie (guess who she was named for? :minnie2:Eeyore just didn't seem to fit) provides so much company. I had to leave my 12-year old cat with my parents and she can't be replaced, but Minnie quickly found her way into my heart too. Good luck and I hope yours bring you as much joy, comfort, and company as mine does. :minnie:

SBETigg
10-21-2008, 06:13 AM
They're beautiful! Congratulations on the new additions to your family.

mrsgaribaldi
10-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Congratulations!!! They are adorable. Annie looks just like my Samantha only much smaller ;) They are lucky to get such a great home and you guys are lucky to get them:thumbsup: It's a match made in Disney World (heaven). May they be in your family, happy and healthy, for many years to come :pixie::pixie::pixie:

TinkerbellT421
10-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I am so happy for you! They are absolutely adorable! :cloud9: Dont you just love kitties!! I have two myself also saved them from unthinkable terms they would have been left in
Congratulation on the new additions!!! I am sure they will get used to the dog eventually. Mine used to annoy the dog once they got used to her lol....

jodijo
10-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Congratulations!!!!! Your new babies are so adorable. I hope you enjoy every moment with them.

ChipDale2708
10-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Congratulations on your new kittens! We are on the search for new kitty family members. We lost our 18 1/2 year old cat in August and didn't want to bring in new kittens until we returned from our Disney trip. We're back now so the search is on. Have fun w/ your new little ones!

JanetMegan
10-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Wish you who was looking for a kitty lived closer to Atlanta. I adopted on about a week ago that showed up on the porch and then last night another one (same age, markings-probably a sibling) showed up on the back porch--what to do...

ChipDale2708
10-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Wish you who was looking for a kitty lived closer to Atlanta. I adopted on about a week ago that showed up on the porch and then last night another one (same age, markings-probably a sibling) showed up on the back porch--what to do...

Thanks for thinking of me - but last night we adopted 2 three week old kittens. They need to stay w/ their mother for another couple of weeks but then they will be coming home! The holidays are going to be crazy w/ two kittens racing around!:cat:

kakn7294
10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for thinking of me - but last night we adopted 2 three week old kittens. They need to stay w/ their mother for another couple of weeks but then they will be coming home! The holidays are going to be crazy w/ two kittens racing around!:cat:Congrats on your new babies as well! I don't know when you plan to pick them up but my vet recently recommended that kittens do not leave their mothers before 8 weeks at the earliest, and preferably not before 12 weeks if you can. He says that studies have shown that they will bond better to you and develop fewer neuroses if left with mom until 12 weeks plus many are not fully weaned from mom (when left to let nature take it's course) until 8 weeks. Good luck!!! I'm afraid of what will happen when I put up our Christmas tree - our last cat liked to dive into the middle of it!

In an update on mine, they are becoming more friendly - translate: bad! Annie is an angel but loves to chase invisible bugs and her catnip mouse so it sounds like she's tearing up the house. Maya is the spawn of Satan - she's peed in my bathtub twice and yesterday, she pooped in their bed! I think it's that she's afraid of the dog even though I've kept them apart so Maya won't go downstairs to use the litter box except at night when the dog is asleep. We've added a second litter box upstairs to hopefully alleviate that problem. She also likes to scratch at furniture and get up on all the dressers and bathroom counter. Even though she's bad, she's so cute and loving that we can't be mad at her!

ChipnDaleGal
10-24-2008, 04:53 PM
They are both gorgeous, Kathy! I am so happy that your house is once again full of feline energy! Even if it is a little naughty at the moment. :D

tyandskyesmom
10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Kathy!

Skyler just adopted a baby from Animal Welfare last week. She is a long haired torti colored (shades of brown) cutie. When we met her her sign said she was 7 months old and she was so cute. We were told she had to stay to ger "fixed" but the next morning they called and said she was too little...she had to be 4 pounds and was only 3.4 so we had to come pick her up. But, we were assurred she was healthy as she could not be adopted if she were not. When we got there, the guy hands up a bottle of medicine and says we're all set. I knew nothing abou tthe meds. So we had to wait arounf while someone found out. Turns out, they are suspecting she is only around 3 months old, which I don't know if I believe because even though she is little, she just seems more experienced in a home than a 3 month old kitten would be??? Apparently she has a stomach paracite that is causing diarrhea and that is what the meds are for. But, even though we had to bathe her when we got home because we could see and smell her problem, she has not had any since coming home. She is very loving and affectionate even when Skye is lugging her around and loves the warmth of the top of the cable box. She comes running whenever someone comes in the house. The first day she came home, she did her best immitation of a Black cat when Dakota walked in (our shepherd mix) but they were actually sniffing noses (or kissing as Skye put's it) last night. Coda has had kitties before so she is used to them but she stayed at my aunt's house with kitties with sharp nails that scared her very much so is now cautious. I think they will be just fine though.

I am really just hoping that she only has a small problem with the stomach thing and she can get healthy soon. As we left the shelter, I must have looked a bit worried because the lady who found out about the med for me said, "well, you always have the 10 days health guarantee!"...that really made it better! Ya, I could just see the issues if they know more than they are letting on and something bad happens after everyone has already fallen in love with her!

I'll have to post a picture when i get some...she's a cutie...I contemplated two (they have a two for the price of one deal at the shelter) but I think I am glad to start with one...it has been about 4 years since we have had a cat in the house and he was an old man so a kitten is a whole new world again!

kakn7294
10-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Good luck with your new baby Sherry! I can picture Skye carrying her around the house! I can't wait to see pictures. I'm going to e-mail you a link to my webshots page after I get my zoo pics loaded. There are some great shots of the elephants, including our 2 babies, that I'm sure Ty will love!