PDA

View Full Version : Crowds and weather the week AFTER Thanksgiving?

mattandmandy
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
We are arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving and are hoping that most of the holiday crowds will be on their way out... In reading the previous post about the week of Thanksgiving someone mentioned the crowds seem to clear the Sunday after. Anyone been this time of year? About 10 years ago I remember going sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and we could practically walk onto every ride with no waits... I hope it will not be crowded.

Also, what is the weather like this time of year. Should the kids wear pants or would shorts be comfortable? We plan to pack both but don't want to overpack on shorts if they won't be needed. Light sweaters everyday??

Thanks in advance!

Mary Chase
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
We were there last year (during that week) and are going the same week again this year. The crowds were not bad (although I can't compare to anything other than early November - I don't know what really busy is like at Disney). My tip is to avoid whatever park is doing extra magic hours for that day (if you can avoid it and are willing to), as those days are usually a little more crowded.

Weather-wise - we needed everything from shorts to sweatshirts (I don't think we ever wore sweatpants/jeans though except one night). During the day, it was definitely warm enough for shorts. It was even warm enough to swim that week (the pools are heated). Evenings could be chilly - but we wore shorts during the day.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!

Katzateer
10-20-2008, 10:03 PM
The crowds shouldn't be too bad-but they have increased since we started going this time of year 15 years ago.

I think the Pop Warner cheer/football groups of kids are there so that adds to the crowd.

The weather is really cool sometimes so I would bring some warm clothes and layers to put on at night. We have been able to swim all except 2 years when we have gone in December so hopefully it won't be too bad this year.

LandFan
10-21-2008, 10:39 AM
We went this week last year and are going again this year. It does taper off quite a bit over the weekend! It was pretty empty from Tuesday on. We really enjoyed it. 36 days to go:thumbsup:

We wore shorts every day. It only got cold enough for pants like one or two evenings. Days were still very warm (mid to high 80's)

diz_girl
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
We are also going that week, checking in Nov. 30 and out Dec 6. I haven't been there that time of the year, so I can't tell you about it, but I can tell you that the Pop Warner football and cheerleader competitions are the following week (Dec 7-13), so you don't have to worry about their presence.

DisneyMiMi
10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
We went in '07 and thought it was the perfect time to go. The lines weren't long but the weather was great. I'm not a big fan of high temps and this time of year was cool in the morning and warm enough in the afternoons. We arrived the Friday after Thanksgiving and the crowds were still rather large, but by that Monday, you could tell a marked reduction. You will have a nice time - but I would pack both shorts and pants for the little ones. My 4 year-old granddaughter would start off with pants and then switch to shorts if it was too hot for her - this only happened about 2 days out of the nine we were there. Lightweight jackest for sure and definitely the rain ponchos. We only needed them for one day out of the nine. A wonderful first time for my granddaughter. i wish the best for you guys, too.

Figaro
10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
It does get pretty slow that time of year. It may be a bit chilly. I know last year it was just starting to get cold about that time. It'll drop down to the mid 40s at the lowest point during the holiday seasons in the middle of the day. I would bring a mix of warm and cool clothing. One day could be a chilly 50 degrees and another a comfortable 75-80 degrees.

Nancyjae
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
We have arrived on Thanksgiving day for the last 5 years and will again this year. We stay 10 days. We have APs so we head over to the MK on Thanksgiving just for the atmosphere. The park is jammed, rides are long, but like I said, we go strictly for the atmosphere! By Sunday it becomes very pleasant! The weather is usually beautiful during the day and a slight chill in the evening but the parks are very manageable!

Have a great trip...we'll probably pass each other somewhere that week :thumbsup:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-21-2008, 06:08 PM
DH and I will be there from 11/24 thru 12/5 @ the POP................crowds will be moderate, and the weather you can never guess right. Hopefully it will be warm during the day and chilly in the evening.

33 days to go.:yay::woohoo: See you soon SULLEY!!!!!!!!!:sulley:

brownie
10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
It's been almost 5 years now, so my experience is a little dated as far as crowds go for that time. It wasn't crowded, but it was still busy. We didn't really have long waits in lines if you timed things right.

The temperature reached around 70 every day (we only used the pool once.) It was down into the 40s the day we left. You'll probably want both pants and shorts; be prepared for warmer and cooler temperatures, often on the same day. I like zipoff pants for that kind of weather, so you can convert them to shorts if you need to.

henry.james.s
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I've done the 1st 10 days of December @ WDW for years. Always be prepared for cool days with a sweatshirt, jeans @ light jacket. You may need them or not BUT you'll be prepared.
I like the fact that the crowds are lighter during that time...makes for a calmer visit.

mattandmandy
10-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the info! I'm sure we will be passing many of yall that week! It's approaching quickly but not fast enough!!!! :mickey:

JasonH
10-25-2008, 10:19 AM
My fam and I for the past 7 years have been arriving typically right after Thanksgiving on Friday or Saturday and stay on through to the end of the following week. This we've expanded just by one day to where we're going to arrive ON Thanksgiving (WOOHOO, an extra day at MK!!) Normally we do go to the parks on the days of EMH with the exception of one of the two days we do at Epcot. Yes, the crowds do tend to be a little bit more, but still pretty managable utilizing the FP's along the way (such as like Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Soarin', you know, the attractions that ALWAYS have a long line no matter what time of year). For the most part, lines are usually 10-20 minutes long during the day and then about 5-10 minutes for the most part at night, especially once we got to the EMH evening hours. And like others have said, it usually will be somewhat crowded up until the Sunday after Thanksgiving and then tapers off pretty good after that. Nov. 27th through Dec. 6th staying at the Pop this year...so close but yet seems so far away. :D:mickey: