PDA

View Full Version : anyone there now

missalabama
10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
or just back?

How are the crowds?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Pretty busy actually. I don't know why it picked up, but it did.

Everest had closed their single rider line yesterday....which I drove 3 hours to ride. :mad:

No really, I was down in Boca Raton and I drove back early to visit AK and ride Everest, Dinosaur and see FOTLK before working last night. Everest was 60 min, with no single rider and Dinosaur was 45 with no FPs and never made it to FOTLK because I missed the shows.

mcjaco
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I just back yesterday. Crowds were heavier than I expected, but I guess the local schools were off last Thursday and Friday.

I think Jersey week is coming up this week or next.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
I just back yesterday. Crowds were heavier than I expected, but I guess the local schools were off last Thursday and Friday.

I think Jersey week is coming up this week or next.

Oh yeah, the dreaded Jersey week! :)
2008:
Thursday, November 6
Friday, November 7
Saturday, November 8

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-21-2008, 10:29 AM
And OMG it is crowded.:eek:
I think there are more people here now than when we were here in June.

Weather is much easier to deal with though. Low 80s, tolerable humidity.:thumbsup:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
And OMG it is crowded.:eek:
I think there are more people here now than when we were here in June.

Weather is much easier to deal with though. Low 80s, tolerable humidity.:thumbsup:

Wonder why it's so crowded now? Is it still like that? Today's supposed to be a 3/10 on the crowd meter....

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
When we checked in @ OKW Sunday morning we were told all resorts were at 100% this week. I won't argue because it was almost 6pm before our villa was ready.

EPCOT was extremely crowded on Sunday (which we expected), MK was very crowded yesterday. There was even a queue to be directed to a cashier line at Columbia Harbor House (which we have NEVER seen in our 22 yrs of coming to WDW). AK was pretty busy, but not as bad as I expected considering what we saw at MK & Epcot.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring at DHS...;)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Keep in mind that the occupancy rates mean nothing.

They could easily mean 100% of 70% of the normal amount of rooms of which they are currently operating.

Meaning, if a hotel has 2000 rooms normally, and they are only using 70% of those, which is 1400 rooms, and if all 1400 rooms are booked, then they'd technically be at 100% occupancy...of the operating rooms.

lawgirl
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah, the dreaded Jersey week! :)
2008:
Thursday, November 6
Friday, November 7
Saturday, November 8

what is jersey week? this sounds scary!
we'll be there nov 4-9.

mcjaco
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
^ New Jersey schools are off that week, and they typically head to WDW for a quick vacation.

epceddie
10-25-2008, 11:59 AM
My wife and I were at WDW Oct. 19-24. We found the crowds to be hit or miss.

We went to Epcot on Monday and the crowds were very manageable.

We went to Disney Studios on Thursday and the place was a madhouse. It was the worst day I've ever spent at a park. Ride waits were all in the 45-80 minute range. I got a fastpass for the Tower of Terror with a return time between 12:50 and 1:50. I still would have had to wait about 30 minutes, so I skipped it.

Our best experience of the week was the MNSSHP on Thursday night. We went to the party on Tuesday night and the crowd was huge! It was much, much better on Thursday. We were able to walk on to Pirates, Splash Mountain and Buzz Lightyear.

We also got seats on the second floor of the Train Station for the Boo to You Parade and the fireworks. That made our trip!

I was really surprised that Disney Studios was so packed, but it is one of the smaller parks (maybe the smallest?). The wait time for Toy Story Mania was 110 minutes and the fastpass line stretched for about 50 yards.

I know it's a new ride, but come on. We also waited in line for 40 minutes to get on the Great Movie Ride, which I thought was a real dud.

It was a good week though. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary on Monday. Had a great meal and waiter at Raglan Road and we also spent Wednesday night at Daytona Beach in a hotel room right on the water.

We're going back in January with two friends who will be making their first-ever trip and we can't wait!

doodleboy
10-25-2008, 09:21 PM
what is jersey week? this sounds scary!
we'll be there nov 4-9.

I know that Jersey schools will be out on Thursday the 6th and Friday the 7th. But are they off for Election day on Nov. 4th? If this is the case, I am sure that some will take the whole week to come down and visit, since they will only be ditching Wednesday. I am leaving on Nov. 4th and am hoping to miss most of this, but I find it hard to believe that one state could have such an impact.

Friends of mine were down the week of Columbus day, and said the crowds were unbearable. She claims they are done going to WDW, since all the slow periods seem to be dwindling to nothing. Hard to believe we are in a global recession.

Polynesian Dweller
10-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Saturday night (Oct 18) was packed in MK but pretty much what we had experienced in past years. Was nice and quiet after the EMH evening hours just as the posts on Intercot suggest and Splash was 5 minute wait, BTMMR 20min, Buzz 5 min, Space Mountain 20. So, use the advice of Intercot and we got everything major done in about 2 hours.

DHS wasn't too bad all week except around Toy Story. Fast Passes for TSMM were gone by 11 each day and ride times were 100 minutes plus, until it rained yesterday and we got in a 40min line and got through. However, it was posted as 100 when we got out.

EPCOT was crowded on the weekend and again last night even with the rain but otherwise wasn't so bad. At AK on Thursday, you could get FP for EE well into the afternoon so it was OK. The only strange thing was the FP line for KS. It was nearly back to Tusker House. Don't know what happened there but it was longer than the Stand-by line.

Simba's Mom
10-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I got back last night, and I'm glad to hear the reports of how crowded it was only because I thought it was packed yet I'd heard October was pretty slow. I spent alot of last week, scratching my head, thinking "THIS is slow?" I'd never been to WDW in October. TSM was out of FPs by 11:00 one day, with 110 minute stand-by wait. On the positive side, the weather was the best I've had-it only rained one day, so I spent that day in the F&W welcome center, doing culinary demos all day. Are the local schools always off on a Thursday and Friday around this time? I'm trying to plan my trip for next year, and I'm hoping to pick a week that might have slightly fewer crowds (but still during the F&W festival).

DisneyFr33k
10-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I too just got back yesterday. I overheard one cast member telling a family checking in to never ever go to MK on Sundays. I went later in the afternoon and it wasn't horrible. On Thursday of last week, MK was very empty. Come Friday (the day of rain) Hollywood Studios was miserable. Epcot was better, but still long waits for Test Track. I've been in October 2 other times and this was normal. Just stay away from Columbus weekend and Epocot on the weekends as locals attend for the F&W Festival. Yes, the weather last week couldn't have been better!

VWL Mom
10-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I know that Jersey schools will be out on Thursday the 6th and Friday the 7th. But are they off for Election day on Nov. 4th? If this is the case, I am sure that some will take the whole week to come down and visit, since they will only be ditching Wednesday. I am leaving on Nov. 4th and am hoping to miss most of this, but I find it hard to believe that one state could have such an impact.

Our schools are not only closed on the 4th, 6th & 7th but we have 1/2 day on 5th! We have found the crowds to be manageable during this time. Normally the only problem we ran into was DHS but am hoping that since SSW is a different time, it will be a bit lighter.

doodleboy
10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Good information. We will be leaving WDW on November 4th. So we may miss some of that influx of people, but it sounds busy anyway. It seems that the ingenious folks at WDW have found a way to keep the parks going all year long. What recession?

minnie1956
10-27-2008, 10:47 PM
I would love to know where all the "empty" parks were while we there. :blush:
It was basically nuts when we went to the Parks we tried different tactics, going a little later, but with such an abbreviated schedule because of all the Halloween parties, we didn't get to do some things. I talked to several cast members they said that September is really the only quite time anymore. Because of all the fall breakers and the Halloween parties October is as busy as anytime. I had to leave the Disney Store Downtown because the shoppers made me nuts, they were even rifling through shirts sitting on carts on hangers not even hung up yet! Not my idea of swell at all....

doodleboy
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
We are leaving tomorrow and have been there the last two years for Halloween. I didn't find the crowds to be too terrible. I mean there was a good few people there, but nothing like summer months or holidays. We also go in the beginning of May and that seems to be a good time as well. Most spring breaks are over by then and Flower and Garden show is still in full swing. I remember years past, going back 10-15 years ago, when the parks would be empty certain times of the year. But Disney has done a good job of having enough events almost year around to draw a constant crowd. Do not forget the creation of the Disney Vacation Club, which also brings in a ton of people on a regular basis. I am member and go down to visit more than once a year now. That would not be possible without DVC for my family.

I am getting mixed messages though. I hear CMs talk about budget cuts and money saving efforts, which may indicate a general slowing of revenue. Then I read many people's experiences in regards to how crowded the parks are all of the time.

LittleRoosMommy
10-28-2008, 10:18 AM
We were just at WDW 10/18-10/25 and we found the crowds to be hit or miss as well. Sat 10/18, MK was not too bad during the afternoon, although we stayed near the front of the park for awhile to see the afternoon parade. Once we got back into Fantasyland, it was busier! With the typical waits for Pooh, Peter Pan at 40+ min. It was very crowded in the evening for the fireworks. We didn't get to stay for the EMH, but I heard it wasn't too bad. Epcot was good Sun morning, walked onto several things before heading back to MK. It was definitely busy there today, although around 4pm started thinning out b/c of the MNSSHP. We stayed for this and walked onto several rides before the party started. SM was no wait after the fireworks that night!

Mon at HS, crowds were hit or miss. RNRC was closed for a while. TSM was 110min wait, FP gone before 11am. Walked on GMR, Playhouse Disney, VLM.

Tues at AK, it was crazy busy! There was a posted 40 min wait on KS, but the line did move quicker. EE had a 70+ min wait! We were lucky to get FP for that at park opening! Epcot later in the day was still busy! 70+min on MS, 40+ on TT. No FPs left for Soarin'.

Wed back to MK, crowds were heavy here. We were able to get onto things w/ FP. Park closed after fireworks at 9pm, it was a mad house trying to get a spot for parade and fireworks! Exiting the park was horrible. Waited for the boat back to WL for about 40min!

Thurs at HS, was again hit or miss. Walked onto some rides, long waits for others! Posted wait times also weren't correct! Finally got FP for TSM, only to wait in the FP line for 30+min. Not fun w/ a tired 2 year old!! Went to DTD later that night, WoD was a madhouse! I love that store, but couldn't wait to leave! Bus service today was HORRIBLE!!!! Waited over 40 min at the YC for a bus to DTD, then once on the bus, it took us almost 40 min to get there. Not sure what was going on!

Friday, it rained and kept some of the crowds away from MK. Walked onto more rides in a couple of hours than we were able to do all week! Only waited 15min to see the Princess at ToonTown. Went over to HS to see HSM3 Pep Rally, it was packed!!

Bus service was really slow and lacking this week! Not sure what was going on!

tigger24601
10-28-2008, 12:15 PM
while i have not been there recently i wanted to remind you that while people may still be going to disney they are probly budgetting more and not spending as much or not more than what they planned. i work retail and people are still buying but are very aware of what they are getting and sticking to their lists.

also remember this is tourist time for florida. between all the snowbirds and people coming up from s. america it keeps all retail busy and disney is no exception.

lawgirl
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Anyone just back from Oct 27-Nov 1?? Just curious about updated crowds.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-01-2008, 02:54 PM
while i have not been there recently i wanted to remind you that while people may still be going to disney they are probly budgetting more and not spending as much or not more than what they planned. i work retail and people are still buying but are very aware of what they are getting and sticking to their lists.

also remember this is tourist time for florida. between all the snowbirds and people coming up from s. america it keeps all retail busy and disney is no exception.

$$ may be tight but people still seem to be shopping. We went thru the shops at DTD on two different days and it seemed as crowded as any other time we have been there, including the Xmas/New Years time frame.
We saw items being snatched up before the CMs even had a chance to put them on the shelf.;)

momof3+twins
11-01-2008, 07:19 PM
morning crowds= walk on or 5 min waits
afternoon and evening at MK are a little busier
Everywhere else is still walk on
MNSSHP was packed!!

Aggie97
11-02-2008, 12:10 AM
We were there October 23-31; we got home very late last night.

We did not find the crowds to be bad at all. The only really long wait times we saw were for Soarin' (70-80 minutes) and Toy Story Mania (80-100 minutes).

We thought perhaps the rain kept some crowds away for the first couple days of our visit, and the chilly temps (which we LOVED :cloud9:) could have kept crowds lower for a couple days this week.

MNSSHP on Tuesday night was fantastic, with very short or no waits for all rides. Thursday night's MNSSHP felt a lot more crowded, but wait times for attractions were still pretty low (e.g., 20 minutes for Peter Pan and Space Mountain).

We had fantastic luck with evening EMHs. We rode everything we wanted at all four parks! We even waited only 35 minutes for Toy Story Mania (although the quoted wait time was 70 minutes). :mickey:

Ropachs
11-02-2008, 03:20 PM
We were there from 10/22 to 10/28 and thought it was pretty crowded. Not terrible, but bad enough that we may not take the kids out of school to go in October again. Perhaps we will try the last week in August as our school don't start until the day after Labor Day.

DestinationWDW
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
We were there 10/18-10/26. We usually always go in October because we LOVE MNSSHP and the Fall Season weather. We were a little surprised at the increased crowds! Although managable - more so than the 1st week of August last year.......We went to a MNSSHP on the Tues. and the Fri. Friday was rainy as mentioned, and that worked to our advantage....if you don't mind the rain - this is the BEST!!!! Not only do you get to see all the Halloween Party Festivities, but rides all practically walk-ons!!!! Only cancellation was Villian Show, but meet and greet still was arranged! Even if it became the busiest weeks of the year, I would be very hard pressed to change, because I love Halloween at Disney so much!!!!!

lawgirl
11-11-2008, 09:24 AM
We just got back, and overall it was one of the best trips we've ever had.

Epcot was the only super-crowded park. We pretty much stayed out of the world showcase (we were pretty bummed, b/c this is our favorite).

Animal Kingdom was pretty much empty when we were there. We walked onto everything...Everest had a 20 minute wait.

All of the CMs were polite and helpful, and all smiling...the magic was definitely still there for us.

The AKL was great. Mouskeeping did a great job; Jiko and BOMA were both amazing, as usual.

We can't wait to go again. We had so many great experiences this time!

Dyanna
11-18-2008, 01:54 PM
We were there 11/7 - 11/15 & found the crowds to be heavier than last year when we went in Oct. We used fast passes for most rides as the waits were up to 75 minutes on some rides.