PDA

View Full Version : Old Pros, I need your Help for Christmas

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi everyone
I am a carrer soldier in the Army and will be rerturning from Iraq in early December. My family and I are going to all 4 WDW parks durring Christmas week to celebrate Christmas and my return froma 15 month tour :party:. I am not a newbie to the parks but have never been durring the Christmas season. What should I expect, besides decorations, to be different so I can plan accordingly. I also have dinner reservation for the Biergarten on Christmas day so we can watch the Candlelight Processional, Im hoping this is going to be as awesome as I Imagine. So Any tips and tricks for getting the best Holiday experience out ogf the trip would be great. Thanks for your Help.

Jim

deedon1011
10-18-2008, 06:57 AM
First of all, thanks for your service. I'm an Army vet.
I was at Disney at Christmas time 2007. I highly recommend doing Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It's expensive, but well worth it. Do not miss the parade if you choose to go. It makes the experience.
Epcot is just beautiful with the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights especially with the snow falling. They also have snow falling on main street at the Magic Kingdom.
There are beautiful decorations everywhere you look. It just doesn't get old. Check out as many resort lobbies as possible.

Tinksalot
10-18-2008, 07:54 AM
I also thank you for serving!
Christmas is a great time to go to Disney. The Osbourne lights at Hollywood Studios, the parade down mainstreet, the falling snow and the hot chocolate. I agree with the previous poster, don't miss Mickey's Very Merry Chistmas Party. We always go to some of the resorts to see their decorations and the gingerbread houses. We also went last year to Gaylord Palms to see "ICE" which was pretty "cool". LOL
Have a wonderful time!
:sleigh::stock::snowman::santa::santa2::tree::deer ::candy::santa3:

TinkerbellT421
10-18-2008, 08:28 AM
First off I wanted to thank you for your service to us! my best friend is a Marine vet...:mickey:
And I just wanted to take some time to thank you and welcome you to intercot. :welcome:

Secondly, my father took me and my family to wdw for christmas bac in 92 and a lot has change then so I cant really give any heads up for that I am sorry. But I am sure that no matter what it will be the most magical and incredible trip together as a family you will ever make. It is the most beautiful thing to see wdw at christmas :cloud9: So I want to wish u the best of luck and say have a wonderful and magical vacation!

mitchsfan
10-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I am sorry but I have no new advice. But thanks for your service. Enjoy you trip that is well over due. Welcome Home

ibrowse17
10-18-2008, 10:57 AM
As an Air Force and Gulf War vet, I also thank you for your service! My suggestion is to take a tour of some of the resorts to see their decorations. They have a huge gingerbread house at the GF, and the lobby of the WL is impressive. I agree that the christmas party should not be missed, and would add the Osborne lights at DHS as well! Have a well earned trip.

Welcome to Intercot:thumbsup:

Meteora
10-18-2008, 12:05 PM
First off, as others have said, thank you so much for your service.
Disney at Christmas is just gorgeous--we don't even celebrate Christmas, and we LOVE it. We go almost every year, and your family is going to love it. It's very crowded, but don't let that stop you from just drinking in the atmosphere and enjoying all the little things. If you have extra time, you might want to visit some of the hotels you aren't staying in to see the Christmas decorations and the trees in the lobbies. Some of them are amazing, and you can get more specific tips about what is in each hotel.

I would definitely check out all the special holiday events--Holiday wishes is awesome, and Illuminations usually has a special finale which is also beautiful. The Osborne lights are breathtaking, and the tree-lighting ceremony at Epcot is also a lot of fun, as is just walking under all the lit up arches after dark. The world showcase also has Christmas around the World, so be sure to check the daily schedule for that. A Santa-type figure from each country talks about holiday traditions in that part of the world.

Finally, for crowd-beating tips, I would suggest being there at park opening every day and maybe leaving during the more crowded afternoon areas to have lunch, swim in the pool, nap, etc. Then come back in the evening for the evening shows and to maybe do a few more attractions. Take advantage of EMH if you can, especially in the non-MK parks, which tend to be less crowded, we've found. And use FP for more popular rides or anything that is a must-do. Have an amazing time!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your service and welcome to Intercot:number1: We are also doing the Candlelight Processional with Biergarten on Christmas Day, maybe we'll see your family there. That is a good start for Epcot along with the different storytellers in each of the country pavilions....AK has the Jingle Jangle Parade, Hollywood Studios has Osbourne Specticle of Lights and Magic Kingdom has the Christmas Parade but MVMCP ends on Dec. 19th.....I would avoid Magic Kingdom Christmas Day as it will be packed and they are taping the annual Christmas Parade show hosted by Regis and Kelly...expect heavy crowds during this time
Make sure to check out the resort decorations especially at the Grand Floridian with the giant Gingerbread House...you will love your visit we always go at Christmas time too:santa:

PrincessASquared
10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
No advise, just a great big THANK YOU!
Have a great time!!:number1::thumbsup:

azdisneymom
10-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Let me first say thank you for serving!!!! You and your family have made sacrifices and it is greatly appreciated.

Great advice here. I would suggest spending time at MK at night. They have added the most beautiful lights to the castle. Best seen and the night gets darker.

Have a great trip. You all deserve it.

(VPM of a Marine Recruit)

joelkfla
10-18-2008, 11:40 PM
I would avoid Magic Kingdom Christmas Day as it will be packed and they are taping the annual Christmas Parade show hosted by Regis and Kelly...expect heavy crowds during this time
The WDW Holiday Parade is taped the first weekend of December, not on Christmas Day. Never the less, Christmas Day is probably the busiest day of the year at the MK, so avoid it unless you just want to be able to say you were at the Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day ;).

Also, make sure you see Illuminations at Epcot sometime before New Years Eve. There is a moving and incredible Christmas "tag" added to the show. And as you're walking to the exit after Illuminations, look at Spaceship Earth.

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Guys thanks so much, and keep the advice comming please!! :mickey: :mickey: :mickey:

We are only going to be doing one day at each park. With 7 people Ihad to buy tickets for I really couldnt afford more (thats one well paid mouse let me tell ya). I think we are going to try and do the MK on Christmas eve and see if me and my father can share the honor of taking the flag down at 5 pm. Not sure if they will let us share but we want to try (he retired at the same rank I am E7).

MississipiDisneyFreak I think that would be kind of fun to meet up at the restaurant and say Hi, so sure lets see if its possible. :thumbsup:

The wife and I love the idea of checking out the Resorts even though we arnt going to be staying there. We have seen these shows hosted by Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel regarding the resorts. They look awesome and THANK GOD for digital cameras cause id bankrupt myself with film otherwise.

Well keep up the advise, its going to be really helpful.

And for everyone who has expressed thier support of me as a soldier, I really appreciate it. It makes doing this easier to swallow. :thanks:

Jim :drill:

Marilyn Michetti
10-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Thanks for your service and welcome to Intercot:number1: We are also doing the Candlelight Processional with Biergarten on Christmas Day, maybe we'll see your family there. That is a good start for Epcot along with the different storytellers in each of the country pavilions....AK has the Jingle Jangle Parade, Hollywood Studios has Osbourne Specticle of Lights and Magic Kingdom has the Christmas Parade but MVMCP ends on Dec. 19th.....I would avoid Magic Kingdom Christmas Day as it will be packed and they are taping the annual Christmas Parade show hosted by Regis and Kelly...expect heavy crowds during this time
Make sure to check out the resort decorations especially at the Grand Floridian with the giant Gingerbread House...you will love your visit we always go at Christmas time too:santa:

Actually, the Christmas parade is taped the first weekend in Dec. and is shown on T.V. Christmas Day.

Don't miss the gingerbread house at GF, and the Santa's around the World at Epcot. The daily tree lighting ceremony in front of WS at dusk is awesome. If the group Cast in Bronze is there it's totally worth seeing, but even if they're not, the music, lights, and fountains all in synch in Future World just swells all the good feelings in your heart.

I've never been there the actual week of Christmas, but I hear it's mobbed, so if you're going to go to MK, go early and plan to stay. Others can advise you better.

Have a great time - you deserve it. I'm a proud Viet Nam Vet, wishing it for you.:flag:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Actually, the Christmas parade is taped the first weekend in Dec. and is shown on T.V. Christmas Day.

Don't miss the gingerbread house at GF, and the Santa's around the World at Epcot. The daily tree lighting ceremony in front of WS at dusk is awesome. If the group Cast in Bronze is there it's totally worth seeing, but even if they're not, the music, lights, and fountains all in synch in Future World just swells all the good feelings in your heart.

I've never been there the actual week of Christmas, but I hear it's mobbed, so if you're going to go to MK, go early and plan to stay. Others can advise you better.

Have a great time - you deserve it. I'm a proud Viet Nam Vet, wishing it for you.:flag:

Oops, I thought only parts of it were taped ahead of time and Regis and Kelly were actually there Christmas Day...sorry about the mess up...I would still avoid it Christmas Day because of the crowds...

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Guys thanks so much, and keep the advice comming please!! :mickey: :mickey: :mickey:

We are only going to be doing one day at each park. With 7 people Ihad to buy tickets for I really couldnt afford more (thats one well paid mouse let me tell ya). I think we are going to try and do the MK on Christmas eve and see if me and my father can share the honor of taking the flag down at 5 pm. Not sure if they will let us share but we want to try (he retired at the same rank I am E7).

MississipiDisneyFreak I think that would be kind of fun to meet up at the restaurant and say Hi, so sure lets see if its possible. :thumbsup:

The wife and I love the idea of checking out the Resorts even though we arnt going to be staying there. We have seen these shows hosted by Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel regarding the resorts. They look awesome and THANK GOD for digital cameras cause id bankrupt myself with film otherwise.

Well keep up the advise, its going to be really helpful.

And for everyone who has expressed thier support of me as a soldier, I really appreciate it. It makes doing this easier to swallow. :thanks:

Jim :drill:

We have an ADR for 145 at Biergarten and will be doing the 5pm show....which are you doing? I really hope both of you guys get to do the flag ceremony, that would be so awesome...good luck to you:mickey:

Meteora
10-19-2008, 12:32 PM

I'll make good on that offer. ;) Christmas week at the MK gets very, very full. It's the only place that I feel gets uncomfortably crowded during Christmas week--literally elbow to elbow, especially Christmas day and the days immediately surrounding it. So, if you want to be in the MK for the evening on Christmas Eve, you probably want to get there early and stay all day, because at a certain point the park hits capacity and no one is allowed in. And just expect it to be really crowded and assume it's going to take a long time to just move from place to place, let alone DO anything, so that you don't get frustrated. If you're just there to enjoy the atmosphere and the Christmas spirit, you'll have an awesome time. If you actually want to go on rides, that's going to be more of a problem.

If you're looking to spend time actually doing rides in the MK, I would get there at park opening, preferably a day other than Christmas or Christmas eve--I'm not sure if you're getting park hoppers or not. If not, and Christmas Eve is going to be your day in the MK, I would get there literally at the rope drop for EMH--the MK has morning EMH every day of Christmas week. If you're there that early, you can usually get in 2-3 good hours of rides before it starts to really fill up. On Christmas day proper, if you're just looking to beat crowds and you definitely want to do a park, I'd recommend DHS--probably less crowded than the other three.

emmatink
10-19-2008, 03:19 PM
If you are there at Christmas or just after....expect two things........your patience to be tested and long lines!! :doh:

Daisy'sMom
10-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank you for serving for us.
I don't have anything to offer except have a wonderful time and don't let the crowds spoil your fun.
:mickey:

Lynn J Mc
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you so much for your service. My grandfather and all of his brothers (5 total) were in WWII. Anyone in uniform is such a blessing to this country.
Now on to DW at Christmas - Christmas at MK day of and day after can be elbow to elbow. Sometimes we couldn't see our feet and I think we were being carried by the crowd. If you don't mind missing the parades, hit the rides then. The snow on main street is magical. We actually did AK on Christmas day and then hopped over to the MK after dark. I hope you are staying at SOG since the traffic coming in to the parks is horrendous. The main thing is to be very patient and not try to do everything. Fastpass everything you can and it sounds like you already have your ADRs. I hope you and your family have a great time. Welcome home in advance!

mickeys_princess_mom
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I thank you so much for serving our country, and I thank your family for their sacrifice. You are going to the World at a beautiful time! For some great pics with your family, visit the American Santa and Mrs. Claus in Epcot. They're the real deal!;) Have a wonderful trip! :sleigh:

Sharon1026
10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Be prepared for massive crowds, so be patient and go with the flow.

Don't miss the osbourne lights at the studios, and epcot does a great job with santas around the world.

All of Disney is decked out - every hotel, etc. so it's really something to see.

have fun!

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-22-2008, 02:46 AM
The responses I have received here have been more than I could have hoped for. Thanks for your support both to me specificlly and to our vacation. I guess I should have mentioned this earlier but we have rented a house about 8 miles from the parks so we wont be staying in any of the resort hotels but we do plan on going around and checking out thier decorations. Ive seen the shows on the travel channel by Samantha Brown and cant wait to see them myself.

If someone else has good tips and or adice about how to survive the parks durring Christmas week, please add your two cents in. I am deffinately taking notes.

WeLuvBuzz
10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I also would like to express my gratitude for service of our country. God bless you and your family.

As a veteran of multiple trips to the world during the Christmas holidays it is a wonderful time to go. Yes, it will be crowded, but that is not a problem at all if you manage your days. Since you are doing each park one day for a full day that is really easy to plan. I am not sure of the ages of your party, but I will give you a basic plan for each park. The key is to study the rides, shows, and activities at each park and know which ones are must do for your party and the times they are offered. Verify which ones have a fast pass and the order in which you plan to obtain passes. For parades and shows you should plan getting in line/claim a seat about an hour ahead of time, slightly less if you attend the first show of the day, but slightly more for the late evening ones. This is also a great time for snacks. Also, plan on leaving your accommodation one hour before the park opens each day. That will get you in line to get in about ½ an hour before park opening. You should also plan on staying all day. I will list good attractions for rest during the day.

AK – Upon entering send one member of your party to get passes for EE and the rest head to KS. Once everyone is together ride KS. Next do ITTBAB. Try an attend the first Lion King show so your wait is short. Get your next fast pass for Dinosaur before you ride EE. Have a leisurely lunch to rest and work in TS, PW, and the Nemo Show early in the afternoon. When possible get more fast passes for rides you enjoy as soon as you can. Later in the afternoon enjoy the conservation station and PFT. I would only ride KRR if it is really warm as you will get wet. A great place to relax is in the Dino dig area while any younger kids play as well as waiting for the parade.

Epcot – Upon entering head toward Soari. Ride and get a fastpass. I would then do Nemo and friends and Turtle Talk. Get your next fast pass for TT. Ride MS and SE in standby (MS has a large through put). Use your soarin fast pass and then go to HISTA. Spend the rest of the day leisurely touring the countries and obtain fastpasses when you can for the rides you enjoy. Ellen’s Energy Adventure and the American Adventure are great rest rides. There are also resting rides in the Land Pavillion as well as good eats. Get a spot for Illuminations.

Hollywood Studios – Fast Pass TSM and ride it first thing. Head over to TOT and RNRC. Go back to TSMM and get another fast pass as soon as you can, or use if on another ride. Go over and do Star Tours, Muppets, and then head back in for GMR. Good afternoon rests can be found in LMA, IJ, the Animation Tour as well as the parades and shows. You can actually eat dinner in the Hollywood Hills Ampitheatre and wait for Fantaxmic.

MK – One person goes to get fast passes for Space while everyone else heads for Fantasyland. Ride Dumbo, Peter Pan, Snow White, and Pooh. Get a fast pass for Buzz before you use your Space one. Ride the Speedway and Stitch. Someone now needs to cross the park and get fastpasses for Splash before you ride Buss. After Buzz do toontown and then ride the train to Frontierland. Fast pass Thunder and then ride Splash, now you can do HM, Pirates, CMJ, etc. Fast pass JC. Relax time can be had by resting on Tom Sawyer Island while the kids run around, or by waiting for the parade. With the HOP closed you loose a good rest spot and the riverboat has minimal seating. Be sure to hit SW and Philharmagic sometime in the afternoon or early evening.

The key to the holidays is knowing which rides you are going to next and efficiently using our fast passes. Leaving the parks for a break and coming back will be very difficult for you, so I recommend taking in the park breaks during the afternoon. We usually allow an hour and ½ for dinner to recharge our batteries.

Have a great trip. Unfortunately as our next Christmas trip is not until 09.