PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Leaders

lovewalt
10-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't know how I get myself into these things?!?!
DD (age 5) and I went to an informational meeting for Girl Scouts and I was happily going to register her to participate.However, they didn't have a Daisy (that's the youngest group)troop set up yet.In order to set one up they would need at least 2 volunteers to run the troop.NO ONE volunteered.So we were told we could get the materials on our own and do them with our daughters at home.Well that doesn't sound like much fun and if I'm going to have to do the activities on my own anyway I figured I might as well try to lead a troop.
After stating that I work full time and have a very limited schedule I would be willing to try it if someone else would volunteer to assist me.Still no takers.Finally ,I had one Mom and another Dad offer to help out but they also work full time and would have to switch off meeting nights in order to make it work.
So I'm spending 4 hours tomorrow at leader orientation. I really don't know anything about Girl Scouts.I was a Brownie for a short time as a child but I don't remember much except selling the cookies.I'm not an "outdoorsy" person and I detest arts and crafts.But I'll give it my best shot.I'm really hoping that once we have an established group other parents will want to become involved.

Any INTERCOTEES who lead Girl Scout troops out there who can give me tips or words of encouragement?

Alligirl
10-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Holly!
Congratulations!! I am a Girl Scout myself a leader from Daisy to Senior for one troop and a helping Mom for another.
Dont let them tell you it is a piece of cake but dont be too afraid either! This can be a wonderful journey for both of you. My older DD started in Daisys were we had a dozen girls, in brownies we had at one time 31 girls in our troop!!! But by the time they were Seniors we had 9 girls 7 of whom earned the gold award! My younger DD is now working towards hers.
The program is what you make of it, but I am very happy that I choose girl scouts. I was also heavily involved in PTA and such but Scouts gave me much more "face time" with my DD's.
I got to know them on another level to see them interact and take on responsibilities, to become leaders among thier peers. I am so proud of my girls and even though they are now all away in college they still keep in touch. You are creating wonderful memories for both yourself and your DD. I am also not outdoorsy but our camping adventures are some of our best memories! My co-leader is waaaay more artistic then I could ever hope to be, but there are arts and crafts kits out there with all of the materials and instructions!
It will be intimidating at first (most new things are) but give it your best shot! Remember you dont have to meet every week, maybe twice a month works better with your volunteers?! Your team will train you and they will be there for you, really whatever you are going through with the girls they have probably seen it already!
This is long and rambling sorry, I'm a little tired, but I just want to encourage you to try it and you wont be sorry for the experience!
Welcome to Girl Scouts!
~Allison

Beach Club Babe
10-18-2008, 10:40 AM
About 10 years ago I found myself in the same boat. When Ashleigh became a daisy, there was no leader so my friend and I "volunteered to lead. I assisted her, and things worked out just fine. However, the next year as they became brownies, my friend's daughter lost interest. I thought, how am I going to do this myself. I do not enjoy arts and crafts either and am not very outdoorsy. Still, I didn't want to let a bunch of 1st graders down, so I just did it. It worked out fine and I had them until they became juniors. By then Ashleigh had too much other stuff going on, so I found another mother willing to go on from there. I am sure you will do just fine!

DisneyLandMomma
10-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm a girl scout co-leader but I don't have much time to post my advice just yet. I am actually getting ready for a Troop campout in my backyard. :) I'm just cruising the boards waiting for the girls to arrive. I will be back later to post more.

Grumpy's Daughter
10-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the club! I have 3 DS, and when my oldest was 6, it was time to join Cub Scouts. I was pregnant at the time, so I didn't volunteer to help out too much, but DH attended meetings and helped out where he could. Well- within 2 years, the leaders of his den (like a Girl Scout Troop) needed to step down, so DH and I stepped up. Within 2 months, I was the Pack Trainer (keeping track of all the training and helping to train), and by the end of the year, I was elected to be the Cubmaster. I am now in charge of 78 boys, from grade 1-5, in a very active Scouting program. It can be crazy, but it can also be rewarding!

Remember to always keep communication open between you, the Scouts, and the parents. Whether this is a weekly newsletter that goes home, or e-mails, just keep everyone informed. Most Councils have outdoor programs already in place that you can sign up for- that will help to fulfill your outdoor requirements without having to be an expert in all things outdoors. And there are always Camp-in's at museums that you can look into- no bugs involved!

Craft kits are a great way to fulfill the "artsy" side. You can also Google ideas for craft projects, and make up your own craft kits. Many of the craft kits are going to run between $1.50-9 each, so you could possibly make them easier. Check out Oriental Trading for some great craft ideas!

If I can help in any way, please let me know!

ElenitaB
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Holly, I feel for you! I volunteered to be leader for my DS' Tiger Cub troop (single mom, full-time worker and receiving chemo at the time... WHAT was I thinking?). The saving grace was that at that age, a parent had to be with the child at all meetings. That wasn't the case as they got older and I ended up quitting two years later (particularly since one of the parents was getting very intense about her kid earning badges). I found that there was a great guidebook available directly from BSA and there were also a LOT of online resources.

Good luck and enjoy it!

P.S. I came away from the experience with enormous respect for teachers and after-care/daycare workers.

Katzateer
10-19-2008, 06:10 PM
You will have a great time with your daughter. I enjoyed being a leader with both of my girls until about 5th grade and then it wasn't as much fun. The girls get to the pre-teen age and some of them are just.....a pain to say it mildly.

If you need any program ideas let me know. I have been a leader for 15 years and was a Girl Scout from Brownie through Senior Scouts.

We did a lot of camping and arts and crafts.

Be sure and go to the Service Unit meetings or send a parent to go. You get a lot of good ideas and are kept up to date on council activities.

And just because you volunteered as a leader, don't make yourself in charge of everything. Each parent should have a job within the troop. If you start out doing everything, then that won't change - the other parents will treat the meetings as more of a babysitting activity. We would have the parents sign a form-if they are more than 10 minutes late (without calling to let us know if there was an emergency)-the girl would leave with the leader and the parent would have to pick the girl up where ever the leader needed to be, with a baby sitting charge . (Since we all had families to get home to or other activities.) If it happened more than once or twice in the year, then the girl couldn't come to the meetings. Until we did that, one mom was 30 minutes late every meeting.