PDA

View Full Version : Camcorders on Rides?

kjmelak
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
We are leaving for WDW in 2 days!!

Just a thought - are you allowed to bring a camcorder on a ride to video tape your ride experience? I figured this would make a nice home video for our daughter, but I don't want to get into trouble from a CM!

DizneyRox
10-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Depends on the ride... Unless it's specifically prohibited, you are free to videotape.

In general, even if/when videotaping is allowed, DO NOT USE A VIDEO LIGHT! Also, make sure you turn off Night Vision if your camera is so equipped. The IR lights that make those work disrupt the surveilance cameras used by Disney.

And also, don't use the LCD screen if you have one. The light on that is as irritating as the old guy behind you coughing in your ear.

I've got video of RnRC, Splash, Everst, etc, so using a camera on the tamer rides is usually much easier. Honestly, they usually prohibit recording more in shows than many of the rides.

The CM will let you know right away if videotaping is allowed or not, so no worries... Just listen to them...

Tygger7
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
As long as you don't have external lighting, and the ride isn't too rough, you should be fine. We taped many of the rides on our last trip, including Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain (night vision), BTMRR, ToT, etc. The only ride they asked my husband not to tape on was RnRR. If you're not supposed to tape, the CM's just very politely ask you not to, it's no big deal as long as you put your camera away when asked. Have fun!!

ILoveLegos
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Some rides have "no video taping" restrictions. Others just wouldn't be the safest to use - Rockin Roller Coaster comes to mind. Other rides have the no external video lighting rule - like The Great movie Ride - dangerous for the live performers. Which rides say what, I don't have the definitive list but the general rule is that you shouldn't endanger yourself, others or ruin other people's ride experience. I'm sure other posters can add more valuable tips about video taping rides, though.

medic9016
10-17-2008, 03:25 PM
They will not allow one on Soarin. The CM stood in front of me until I put the my camcorder in the net under the seat.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
In general, even if/when videotaping is allowed, DO NOT USE A VIDEO LIGHT! Also, make sure you turn off Night Vision if your camera is so equipped. The IR lights that make those work disrupt the surveilance cameras used by Disney.

And also, don't use the LCD screen if you have one. The light on that is as irritating as the old guy behind you coughing in your ear.

Absolutely right. I have a lot of ride videos, but have inadvertently caused a cast member to come over the loudspeaker to ask me to stop using the light. It was on PoTC, shortly before the drop. I wasn't using an external light, but the CM over the loudspeaker reminded me that no lighting is permitting. I didn't even think the comment was directed at me at first until I finally realized that it was my LCD screen. Especially in a dark ride, this is very noticeable. And it definitely does detract from the enjoyment of the attraction by others. I've unwittingly made the mistake once and won't do it again. But, in dark rides in particular that don't have a stated restriction on videotaping, as long as you don't use an external light, don't use the LCD screen, and don't use the night vision feature, you should be fine. (On that last point -- night vision -- I've done it in HM and on other dark rides without a problem. I think it just depends on the ride and the CMs working the ride for that one.)

Sunshine1010
10-17-2008, 08:16 PM
I have to admit....I'm scared that someone will 'let go' of a video camera on accident...and it will fly and hit me.

Gator
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
The only ride they asked my husband not to tape on was RnRR. If you're not supposed to tape, the CM's just very politely ask you not to, it's no big deal as long as you put your camera away when asked. Have fun!!

That's the only ride I was asked not to videotape. Don't know why. I just wanted to tape the take off. The rest of the ride is dark, so I doubt the film would've been any good anyway.

NJDad
10-18-2008, 07:01 AM
I taped RnRC, didn't know you weren't allowed.

Little camera, with a strap, and an iron grip.

There are enough lights to get video, although, yes, parts of the video are just a black screen.

brewcrew26
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Nightvision and the security cameras. I didn't know that. I used that on a few rides and my video turned out grainy. I'll also be more conscious with the LCD screen.

kjmelak
10-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Kevin

casey@bat
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Tips:

I taped on BTMRR. I sat on the right and my daughter sat on the left in the seat. I held the video camera in my right hand and turned it toward her. Before we took off I positioned it on my chest and made sure I could see her face. Then during the ride, I just held it in place. It was the best video and didn't make us sick watching it. She laughed and came off the seat several times.

I have also sat in front of my 2 kids on EE and positioned the camera facing backwards. This one didn't turn out as well.

It's a Small World turns out great and Peter Pan and Pooh are pretty good.

thrillme
10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
My experience is that someone has already taped the ride. If you can't buy a video of all the rides just hit up You Tube or whatever it it. I found a lot of sneaky people have already done this and put it out there (at least 20 of them per ride). Find the best ones and download them to your very own ride CD/DVD.

mcjaco
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
The CM will let you know right away if videotaping is allowed or not, so no worries... Just listen to them...

Even better, ask before you even get on the ride. ;)

DizneyRox
10-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Even better, ask before you even get on the ride. ;)
I'd rather them tell me, no need to ask for a denial! :D

Sunshine1010
10-21-2008, 12:59 AM
....easier to ask for forgiveness, rather than permission.

he he

TinyDancer
10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
We tape pretty much EVERY ride. We've never been asked to stop using night vision which we do on all the dark rides. We also were asked to put away the video camera once on RnRC and then another time there was no problem. On that ride, even though the majority of it was dark, the real fun was listening to the music and our screams of laughter!!!

Imagineer1981
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
most rides can be taped. The 3d shows are not allowed and as everyone says, don't use lighting.

DizneyRox
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
We tape pretty much EVERY ride. We've never been asked to stop using night vision which we do on all the dark rides.
It was really just a courtesy to the CMs monitoring those rides. They really should be able to see what's going on and not be blinded by an IR light.

The 3d shows are not allowed and as everyone says, don't use lighting.
But if you could tape 3D shows, a polarizing filter would help tremendously!

TinyDancer
10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Hmmm... I guess I assumed that if it was a problem they would ask me to stop! I guess I better ask next time. :blush:

mcjaco
10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
don't use lighting.

This past week during my trip, I got so irritated with people using flashes during dark rides, I started turning around and using my flash to take pictures of them. Everytime they used the flash, I would too. On them.

It typically didn't work but at least they suffered random flashes like I was. :mad:

Sunshine1010
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
How funny!

rmsongs
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I've taped most of the rides and never had a problem. I keep the screen closed so I don't bother anyone and, if I'm not looking through the viewfinder, I cover it with my free hand so no light escapes. As far as the camera going flying, between the strap, my Kung-fu grip, and the fact that I have no desire to replace a $600 camera, it's never been an issue. An awful lot of things would have to go wrong simultaneously for me to lose control. The only thing is, in every picture that they take on the rides, I'm holding the camera up to my face.

That being said, I often feel as if I saw the whole trip THROUGH the camera, rather than experiencing it firsthand. Next trip, the camcorder stays home and I take still pics.

Only 16 more days.......:party:

mcjaco
10-23-2008, 10:22 AM
That being said, I often feel as if I saw the whole trip THROUGH the camera, rather than experiencing it firsthand. Next trip, the camcorder stays home and I take still pics.

Only 16 more days.......:party:

I did the same thing on last week's trip. It was soooo much more enjoyable to just snap pictures. And there was less to lug around! ;)

CaptainSad
10-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Ever here of Jeff Lange. He has videos from the beginning of WDW to the present. Some are really good. I have a few of his videos. Some are done at multiple angles. Almost professional like. Some of the older is a little grainy, but most are excellent quality. I think this guy is in the know with Disney CM's. Some are shot with what looks like no people around.

LauraleeH
10-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Is there a list of rides I can't tape on?

I usually don't mind when others take pictures or videos on rides, but I can't stand it when people talk on a ride. Last month I was on the Great Movie Ride and the girl behind me was on her cell phone the entire time. Her friends were chatting with each other, making it even harder to hear. I wanted to scream at them, I was so mad...but seeing as they were directly behind me, I bit my tongue.

tinkerbellybutton
10-26-2008, 01:07 AM
I had no idea that IR lights mess up the security cameras.... thanks so much for that info! As for people taking flash photos, we had a gentleman behind us a few years ago that was taking photos with flash on POTC. Since he was taking the photos and only saw it through the camera, he didn't realize the effect of the flash on the experience of others. After I asked him to stop he realized and when we got off the ride he apologized profusely.
As for a video camera flying through the air, I also have that concern. Of course nobody would think it would happen to them but that's what accidents are, things that aren't planned. But that's just my :twocents:

rachel_future_candy_maker
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
depends...small world and pirates are definitely ok.:mickey:

offwego
10-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I to have had the POTC flashes and display ride from others and in particular with the new Davy Jones effect it's not that much fun for others.

If your not used to turning off the display's or other things required might I suggest a little practice before you arrive? That way you won't be sitting there accidently doing things the wrong way as you struggle to both tape and enjoy the ride. (The last visit included a family with three of them trying to tape and take pics sometimes getting there flashes off, always having the displays on and sometimes having the flashes go off..I know they didn't mean to have the flashes go off but three people making boo-boo's makes for much flashing):mickey: